• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Nintendo Switch News and Discussion Thread

Lozjam

A Cool, Cool Mountain
How can it be sold out? I'm pretty sure they mentioned starting preorders later this month during their presentation. Heck, I've been checking my local Gamestop every so often to ask about Switch preorders, and I've always been told not yet.
All online orders have been sold out since this morning.

Of course local game stops haven't been taking pre orders, as they are usually a week late. But Amazon, Walmart, Best Buy, and GameStop online has already sold out. They are no longer taking any preorders.

CrimsonCavalier

Fuzzy Pickles
All online orders have been sold out since this morning.

Of course local game stops haven't been taking pre orders, as they are usually a week late. But Amazon, Walmart, Best Buy, and GameStop online has already sold out. They are no longer taking any preorders.

I really wish you'd stop knowingly putting out pseudofacts with the intention to deceive or otherwise misinform us. We should all be smart enough to double check sources, but sometimes we take things at face value here on these message boards, and it's really disappointing when you say stuff like that. It's a half-truth at best. You're trying to make things look better than they are and it isn't helping.

If Nintendo screws up, let them screw up and let us—the consumer—say so. You don't have to defend every bad decision they make. I'm sure we ALL want Nintendo to succeed or else we wouldn't be in these message boards (except maybe Deus), so there's no need to do this.

If Nintendo screws up, let them screw up and let us—the consumer—say so. You don't have to defend every bad decision they make. I'm sure we ALL want Nintendo to succeed or else we wouldn't be in these message boards (except maybe Deus), so there's no need to do this.
There is no need for people to criticise Nintendo for things they actually did not do wrong either. This is not directed at you. It's a general statement directed at everyone.

If Nintendo screws up, let them screw up and let us—the consumer—say so.
The issue here is at times there is no agreement as to if something is a screw up or not. Some people will say it is and other people will not. The infamous example here is the internal power of the WiiU. Not having agreement on this is not really an issue. That's fine. We just want everyone to clearly justify their position on the issues and then it's all cool. Understanding of someone else's opinion here is better than agreement.

CrimsonCavalier

Fuzzy Pickles
There is no need for people to criticise Nintendo for things they actually did not do wrong either. This is not directed at you. It's a general statement directed at everyone.

The issue here is at times there is no agreement as to if something is a screw up or not. Some people will say it is and other people will not. The infamous example here is the internal power of the WiiU. Not having agreement on this is not really an issue. That's fine. We just want everyone to clearly justify their position on the issues and then it's all cool. Understanding of someone else's opinion here is better than agreement.

Right. But sometimes people are objectively wrong about things, and they defend their positions nevertheless. And that's fine, if you want to be wrong, be wrong, but that doesn't change anything.

As I told my friend the other day, I'm a genuine Nintendo fan. I've been playing Nintendo since I was four years old. Nintendo has been a huge part of my life, as a kid, as an adult. There were times in my life when I didn't have friends, and my friend were Nintendo games. Mario and Zelda and Donkey Kong. I want Nintendo to succeed because if they fail, I'm literally losing something that has been with me my entire life. So when I criticize, it's out of the feeling of wanting what is best for Nintendo. I see them making poor business decisions, poor marketing decisions, etc., and I want them to change those things because I see what mainstream gaming wants, the direction the industry is going, and Nintendo is falling behind.

And they are falling behind, and no amount of arguing that "they're not competing with Sony and MS" makes that true. They ARE competing with those companies, and they are losing. And if I want to continue to enjoy the games I played as a little kid, and if I want Nintendo to be around for my [hypothetical] children to enjoy, they have to change. They have to adapt to the new trends, and they aren't. To me, it's totally an emotional argument (I love Nintendo, I want Nintendo to exist), but my logic it based on facts and business practices. In reality, Sony has been a better gaming environment for decades, but I've stuck with Nintendo because Nintendo gives me what I love; Sony does not.

Sad news for me. I loved how Miiverse was Nintendo's own quirky take on social media. I wonder if this means more heavy Facebook and Twitter integration.
Personally I stopped using Miiverse completely after about a year. It was a fun, classically Nintendo way of doing things, but ultimately I think integrating existing social media networks will be much more versatile and accessible for most people.

I'm kind of sadder to see streetpass go. While that was arguably even less useful and was also something I didn't do a lot (I live in the countryside so not many 3DS owners about) but it was also a very Nintendo-ish feature.

As for the launch line-up people have been discussing, I agree that it looks relatively sparse at the moment and that more will be added, but I doubt third parties will turn up in too high a number. They don't want to compete with BOTW. But then after that we've got Splatoon 2 and Mario Kart 8 in the summer (I think) and than Mario Odyssey nearer Christmas, so good news for Nintendo fans but pretty intimidating competition all year for third parties.

Right. But sometimes people are objectively wrong about things, and they defend their positions nevertheless. And that's fine, if you want to be wrong, be wrong, but that doesn't change anything.
That's when you share the facts (not opinions) and let everyone make their own mind up on the facts. Not everyone can accept the truth unfortunately. I agree with you here.

And they are falling behind, and no amount of arguing that "they're not competing with Sony and MS" makes that true. They ARE competing with those companies, and they are losing. And if I want to continue to enjoy the games I played as a little kid, and if I want Nintendo to be around for my [hypothetical] children to enjoy, they have to change. They have to adapt to the new trends, and they aren't. To me, it's totally an emotional argument (I love Nintendo, I want Nintendo to exist), but my logic it based on facts and business practices. In reality, Sony has been a better gaming environment for decades, but I've stuck with Nintendo because Nintendo gives me what I love; Sony does not.
Nintendo is changing though. That's one thing no one can rightfully criticise Nintendo on. The issue here is the right kind of change. Of cause Nintendo is in competition with the other two. Just not in the same way as MS and Sony are in competition. To be fair to all, the MS Xbox division is in a whole world of trouble at the moment too. Maybe not financially but in the eyes of the customers, the Xbox is in a massive hole now. Nintendo is at least trying to innovative it's way out of it's hole. MS is not even doing that.

Both Sony and Nintendo have good games. As of the WiiU and Switch, Nintendo has high priced consoles at launch, just like Sony does. So what is Sony doing better than Nintendo at? Online services. Sure it's no Xbox Live, but it's a heck of a lot better than anything Nintendo have done. Nintendo really need to get online done right with the Switch.

For trends, I feel Nintendo are trying to adopt them. Mobile gaming is pretty huge now and Nintendo is trying to embrace that.

Nintendo is only losing to Sony. It's not losing to MS. MS is in a different but equally as large hole as Nintendo is in right now. In my opinion MS is the worst of the 3 at the moment, because it's not willing to innovate to try and survive.

For gaming enviroments, I think the 3DS and DS before it won that totally. But that really matters not as the games are the star here as they should be. Gamewise, the exclusives for both Sony and Nintendo have been great. 3rd party? Sony is winning that totally. A strange statement to say because Sony does not make it's own games (mostly). My point is 3rd parties would rather make a Sony exclusive than make it Nintendo as well. That's where Nintendo is losing out big time. These days MS is losing out here as well. MS does not even have the exclusive library to match anymore. But really (in my opinion) it's a 2 horse race now. Sony andf Nintendo. MS is way behind. So this makes the PS more attractive for many customers for some very good reasons.

Lozjam

A Cool, Cool Mountain
I really wish you'd stop knowingly putting out pseudofacts with the intention to deceive or otherwise misinform us. We should all be smart enough to double check sources, but sometimes we take things at face value here on these message boards, and it's really disappointing when you say stuff like that. It's a half-truth at best. You're trying to make things look better than they are and it isn't helping.

It's not because Nintendo's success that the thing is sold out, it's do to low stock.

Would you care to find a place, at all that has a preorder with a Nintendo Switch, releasing on March 3rd online? You are not going to find any. They are sold out.

I spent 5 hours last night with a friend because he hasn't preordered the Switch yet, and is stoked about BotW, but he couldn't find Switches anywhere. 5 hours trying to find a place to order the Switch anywhere in store and online.

There is no GameStop within a 100 mile radius of my area that has it in stock, No Best Buys in has stock. Ect.

I am just saying the truth. Nintendo never, needs to worry about launch, because they still have a decent hardcore fanbase. They could have just released 1 2, Switch(With no Breath of the Wild at launch) at $450, and it still would have sold out. 2 million is such short stock worldwide, they sold out regardless. They literally don't need to worry about launch, because they will sell out no matter what. Not only this, but the low supply creates higher demand, and even some on this forum have directly experienced this. It's after launch is where they need to grab their other markets.

Last edited:
It's not because Nintendo's success that the thing is sold out, it's do to low stock.
Would you care to find a place, at all that has a preorder with a Nintendo Switch, releasing on March 3rd online? You are not going to find any. They are sold out.
After the WiiU's low launch day sale numbers, Nintendo could not have too many for same day 1. Too big of a risk.

After the WiiU's low launch day sale numbers, Nintendo could not have too many for same day 1. Too big of a risk.
The Wii U actually had reasonably good launch day sales, which in hindsight is a bit surprising. But as Lozjam said, Nintendo don't need to worry too much about launch sales because their fanbase is particularly devoted. I think if the Wii U showed us anything with regards to Nintendo as a business it's that if worst comes to worst they can just about get by on their fanbase. Pretty much everyone who got a Wii U got one because they're a Nintendo fan and they always will get the latest Nintendo console. That's not to say there wasn't anything there for anyone else, but what with its price and competition with Playstation and Xbox there wasn't much to win other gamers over. Granted they were heavily bolstered by other sources, i.e. the 3DS, amiibo and NES classic, but they still managed to keep the Wii U going rather than completely abandoning it Sega-style.

CrimsonCavalier

Fuzzy Pickles
Nintendo is changing though. That's one thing no one can rightfully criticise Nintendo on. The issue here is the right kind of change. Of cause Nintendo is in competition with the other two.

Well there you go; change isn't always good. For example, if they're going to charge for Nintendo Network, it had better be top-notch. That's definitely a change, and it's not necessarily for the best. Because like @BoxTar said in a different thread, when you played Smash online and it didn't work, well, it was free, so no big loss. But if you're going to pay for the privilege to play online, it had better work. So that's a change that we have to wait and see if it turns out to be good or bad.

I'm sure online isn't the only place you can preorder, is it? I haven't tried, I'm not looking to get one at launch.

But what about physical stores?

Well there you go; change isn't always good. For example, if they're going to charge for Nintendo Network, it had better be top-notch. That's definitely a change, and it's not necessarily for the best. Because like @BoxTar said in a different thread, when you played Smash online and it didn't work, well, it was free, so no big loss. But if you're going to pay for the privilege to play online, it had better work. So that's a change that we have to wait and see if it turns out to be good or bad.
I agree totally. Online has to work now because it's a paid service. Just saying "please understand" will not cut it for a paid service.

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend

I'm sure online isn't the only place you can preorder, is it? I haven't tried, I'm not looking to get one at launch.

But what about physical stores?

I pre-ordered mine in person at a Gamestop. They told me they only had five or so consoles left when I came in, and told me the next day that they were straight out, but it is Gamestop, so take it for what it's worth. I'm reasonably sure I wasn't being fed the order-one-now-because-they'll-be-gone-soon line, but whatever.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom