• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Navi Vs. Tatl

Navi or Tatl?

• Navi

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Both the same

• Tatl

• Total voters

unknown

._.. .. _. _._ morse code
I haven't really ever come across a direct comparison between Navi and Tatl, so I want to put in out there. Who do you think is the better companion? Navi or Tatl. Personally I like Tatl better than Navi. Navi wasn't really that irritating to me, but I really like Tatl. Tatl had some more personality, and didn't really have annoying useless hints as much as Navi. Tatl had some story behind her, and to me, navi wasn't given background, even though you got to kind of close to navi throughout the game. Tell your opinions and explain a little, if you can't do that effectively, that okay too.

Once I sat down and thought about it, I realize how tough the question is.

I for one loved Navi, but I admit Tatl simply had better character motivations. While Navi was the first companion in series history Tatl was the first to have a detailed back story and motive beyond simply just helping you. That being said Tatl's personality was also pretty jarring. I hated how when asking for enemy analysis she would often be like; "Don't you know ANYTHING!?"

Navi was nice for sure. Both were helpful but I think Navi more so than Tatl.

Navi also had one of my favorite character moments when battling with Ganon she said she would fight by your side no matter what this time. I thought that was awesome and it really showed the wonderful bond Link and Navi had. I certainly felt very sad at the end when she left. OoT was the most amazing gaming journey I ever took and Navi was there with me through ever step of it lending a helping hand. I can't say I felt as sad after Link parted with Tatl to continue his journey.

In conclusion, while I think Tatl had superior character development Navi is my favorite. I do like both a lot though and as the story went on I felt a bond forming between Link and Tatl and after all was said and done I really liked her character and was very sympathetic to what she went through and her friendship with the skull kid. All that I thought was very touching. So maybe I am clouded with nostalgia or something with Navi, who knows. Either way I think they were both wonderful additions to both games.

Cel-Shaded Deku

Ha ha, charade you are!
Rapin' your churches, burnin' your women!
Because I have played both of those games to death I no longer pay attention to the story, character personalities, enemy info and all of that stuff. I breeze through those games, completely ignoring all text. With that playing style I like Tatl more because (outside of cut scenes) Tatl talks less, or maybe talks more but you can skip her dialogue. More convenient for me.

Definately Navi. I never found her annoying at all. She's my favorite Link partner. Tatl, on the other hand, is my least favorite because she's rude and annoying.

A Link In Time

To Overcome Harder Challenges
ZD Legend
I definitely prefer Navi over Tatl. Nostalgia definitely comes into play as Ocarina of Time was the first Zelda game I ever played and only recently did I finally get to Majora's Mask, however, Navi is the greatest companion in franchise history i my humble opinion due to her not by overly annoying (sorry to go against the majority opinion!) and extremely helpful but not in a hold your hand way like recent companions have been.

Ocarina of Time is the only Zelda game I've bothered to replay multiple times. The characters, environments, and dungeons are simply breathtaking ad I doubt they'll be topped in the near future. Navi is a major part of that intricate patchwork. As important as Tatal was in providing back story for the Skull Kid in Majora's Mask nothing will match that somber tone emitted from the Deku Tree's sending Navi on her mission, to that delightful music that plays as the fairy first glides to Link, to her ultimate departure in the Temple of Time at the end of the hero's journey.

Night Owl

~Momentai
I can't choose one over the other really.
Navi had a strong sense of duty, in my opinion, evident in how often she calls to remind you where to go next. (which really isn't as often as a lot of people would make it out to be)
I am thankful for her reminders about wall masters. Without them I would still be paranoid going through the well and shadow temple.
She also has a generally kinder disposition towards the player.

Tatl may not have called as often as Navi, but her game is heavily influenced with sidequests rather than the main quest.
She had an attitude especially towards the beginning that is fairly mean spirited towards the player. It is also evident in how when you ask her about enemies a lot of the time it's Geez don't you know anything? or How should I know the boss's weakpoint.
I did grow to like her as the game progressed though.

They both have their pros and cons.
Tatl can come off as cold to the player.
and Navi can seem to be a little too quest oriented at times

Personally I'd rate them about the same and I missed them both when it was time to part ways.

MW7

It's pretty close for me. I think Tatl was more interesting personality-wise, but Tatl also had the most obnoxious sound I've ever heard when she stopped to tell you something. However, I think Tatl stops gameplay slightly less than Navi does (Kaepora Gaebora is the true gameplay thief in OOT moreso than Navi though). I found it interesting how Tatl actually had real motivation to help you in rescuing her brother whereas Navi was being obedient to the Great Deku Tree. So all in all I slightly prefer Tatl but it's fairly close.

PhantomTriforce

I am a Person of Interest
For me, there wasn't a big difference between Navi and Tatl, so I chose the "Both the same" option. I've never found Navi to as annoying as people say she is, and find that Tatl tells you things as much as Navi does. Also, the bell chime Tatl does isn't much better than the "Hey, listen, watch out" Navi does. They both have some mystery surrounding them, like why Navi left Link at the end of Ocarina of Time and where she went, and where Tatl and Tael came from in Majora's Mask and what their purpose is. So since these two have similar characteristics, I think that the two are pretty much the same.

TheRationalDove

Red Hair Wonder
I haven't played Majora's Mask but I have watched walkthroughs, so that will give me some point of reference.
I feel likeNavi and Tatl were both great additions to the game and fit the games they appeared in. Ocarina of Time had a more heroic-epic feel, so having the helpful loyal sidekick really fit the bill. Majora's Mask had a lot more of reality in its themes than Ocarina of Time, so having the disagreeable, but still helpful side character was the right cchoice for that game.

godess reborn

Blame The Cricket
I think Tatl was the best. I mean, Navi's pretty cool too, but sometimes I felt she said some stuff that was obvious. Like when she tells you how to open a door. I'm playing Majora's Mask right now, and so far find Tatl to be a useful sidekick. She isn't interupting me too often, but when she does it's necessary (most of the time). However, I do quite miss the little noises Navi makes. "Hey! Look! Listen!"

guapo2003

The incomparable legend
They are both the same for me. They both use Z-Targeting and that's all I need them for. Even though they both give advice, it doesn't matter to me since I've played both games several times, I just ignore them. But they are both good for new people who haven't played before.

Kevin

Original PD
Site Staff
I prefered Tatl over Navi. Tatl was more useful and had more of a connectedness with Link that Navi didn't have in OoT.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom