• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Spoiler Music in Zelda

Nicole

luke is my wife
This may contain spoilers, so read at your own risk!

The Legend of Zelda is a video game series that revolves around swords, castles, and other medieval themes. Who would think that music could really be an integral part of such a series? I, for one, believe it is very important throughout the games. I have not played much of the original LoZ through LA, but I will use my knowledge of the rest of the series in my discussion.

Let's begin with Ocarina of Time. It's in the title, "Ocarina." Although the game does not center around the ocarina itself, it is a very useful tool. It is capable of teleporting the gamer to many locations, and is invaluable when you need to travel through time. How else would you quickly arrive at the Temple of Time?

OoT's direct sequel, Majora's Mask, also featues the Ocarina of Time. It is stolen by Skull Kid in the onset of the game, and is responsible for giving Link the ability to go back in time and summon the Giants. Without it, Link would really only have three days. Three days that passed by at normal speed. And he would not be able to stop the moon.

Another installment subsequent to OoT, The Wind Waker, also contains an instrument in the title. The Wind Waker, the baton itself, has many uses, none more important than the melodies used to gin access to the Wind and Earth Temples. However, it also has many more subtle uses, like changing the flow of the wind, or teleporting via cyclones.

Continuing along the timeline, Spirit Tracks is the next game that features a key instrument. The Spirit Flute was a by-product of the Mic in the Nintendo DS, and allowed the user to feel like they were blowing into the panflute. The Spirit Flute was not as important as some other implements like the Ocarina of Time or Wind Waker, but it was still vital to activate the Spirit Tracks on the Rail Map with the Lokomos.

Two other games that included a musical reference are Oracle of Ages and Twilight Princess. In Oracle of Ages, the Harp of Ages, though not used too often, was necessary to travel between the past and present. In addition, Twilight Princess, which did not include an actual instrument, but the songs of a howling wolf at the Howling Stones. These were used to teach Link the Hidden Skills by the Hero's Shade.

My general point is to notice how music has been implemented in an action and puzzle-solving video game series. What do you guys think about the prior uses of instruments and music in the Legend of Zelda? Was it a good idea? Or do you think Nintendo pushed it a bit far? Is there something I missed? Do you think there will be an instrument of some sort introduced in Skyward Sword?

These are all valid questions, and I'd like to hear your opinions and theories on the music in Zelda.

Lord Death

Bichon Frise
I think music has been very important to the series. Its most prominent role had to be in Ocarina of Time, where the music was catchy and allowed you to do amazing things. Then in Majora's Mask, the music stood out less but had to do more with the story (Song of Time and Song of Healing).

Music in Wind Waker was okay. It didn't really feel like you were playing songs, however, more or less just notes. As for their effects, they were used for more convenient purposes (teleporting, changing wind direction, etc.). I think it was a fair addition, but we probably could have gotten by without it.

The last game I'm going to reference is Twilight Princess. I personally thought the howling stones were something just thrown in the game. Although hearing old songs gave me a feel of nostalgia, I thought they were unnecessary. Sure, they led to the Hero's Shade teaching you new moves, but instead you should have had to seek him out or something.

Getting an instrument in Skyward Sword is kind-of a toss-up. I'm not sure what they'll do, but if I had to guess, I might say the Ocarina of Time would be involved. See, in the game "Ocarina of Time", Zelda says, "Together with the Master Sword and the Ocarina of Time, you practically hold time itself in your hand." Well, if they are going to explain about the MS, why not throw in an explanation of the OoT? Again, this would be my guess if they are even going to include music.

However you look at it, music has been a major part of the Zelda series. I think it has been and always will be a nice addition to the games. I hope to see more of it in the future!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom