• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Mario Kart 8 Discussion Thread

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
oh gosh. SS Link. Why wouldn't you use Toon Link. >.< Are there any game designers in there at all? or just marketing executives?

Bruh I dunno. But nobody wants SS Link. I wanted TP Link, or OoT Link. Yes, OoT Link would work best. SS Link looks out of place, girly, and not like a true Link would. Replace him.

Snow Queen

Mannceaux Signature Collection
Wow, we get Lonk in MK and people are just gonna complain that it isn't the Link they wanted?

AND THIS IS WHY WE GOT THE WII U.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Wow, we get Lonk in MK and people are just gonna complain that it isn't the Link they wanted?

AND THIS IS WHY WE GOT THE WII U.

1) Deal with it.
2) We got the Wii U because Nintendo couldn't deliver a better name, and because they had no idea about HD capabilities. ;p
3) Not everybody is going to have a big O just because Link is in the game. Others like to pay attention to details ; others still want details specific to them.

Onilink89

Nyanko Sensei
#MortonOP

Here's some purdy pix about the DLC.

ioIr7jZuZA7mW.png

So who else noticed the F zero and excitebike track in first sight?

Oh btw i downloaded the bundle today. Apparently the 8 yoshi and shy guy colors can be used right away.

Locke

Hegemon
Site Staff
So who else noticed the F zero and excitebike track in first sight?
I noticed those too. On my second look, I also noticed Wario's Gold Mine, and what's in the bottom-right corner of the other image?

Bruh I dunno. But nobody wants SS Link. I wanted TP Link, or OoT Link. Yes, OoT Link would work best. SS Link looks out of place, girly, and not like a true Link would. Replace him.
wat? TP Link would be even worse than Mercedes Benz. He'd clash sooooooo much with the aesthetic. Smash works because its aesthetic is designed around bringing together disparate characters. MK8 was designed to look like Mario Kart.

Last edited:

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Take a look at this.
Compare it to SS Link. See why I think this is the best way to portray Link if it's "back to roots"?
Thank you for enlightening us all, hardwood. In the future, however, I would like you to go further in depth with your explanation. Because ALttP Link is very dissimilar to SS Link, I feel that MK8 Link is...an in between, a consent if you will.

hwrdjacob

The Nintendo Knight
It's the most similar along with OoT Link and less so ALBW Link due to the fact they are all animated and with a similar body structure/ build. TP Link does come close, but is still so far because it goes into a completely different art style (In fact, it's the only "realistic" Zelda game out of any of them). ALttP Link seems to fit the bill more because it has a hand drawn art style SS seems to be closer to than OoT, which is more of a Pixar film.

Link_adulto_OoT3D.png

Link-Screen-Large.jpg

SS Link seems to be even less realistic than OoT, which... I can't really discribe as anything but slightly less colorful. SS gives off the vibe of a literal drawing in a way while OoT seems sort of CGI. That's the best way I can describe it.

Locke

Hegemon
Site Staff
>raise VR limit tenfold
>raise the bar for positive VR gain
>don't fix matchmaking at all
>match 8k's with 5k's and watch them lose 19 VR every race

I'm done with online. I missed the deadline for hitting 9999, now it's impossible.
I'm done with the game too, since online is all it has.

Mercedes

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
>raise VR limit tenfold
>raise the bar for positive VR gain
>don't fix matchmaking at all
>match 8k's with 5k's and watch them lose 19 VR every race

I'm done with online. I missed the deadline for hitting 9999, now it's impossible.
I'm done with the game too, since online is all it has.

I haven't really played MK8 online at all, is it really that bad? :/ That system does sound like a bit of a mess, if there really is such a disparity between player ratings.

Onilink89

Nyanko Sensei
I haven't really played MK8 online at all, is it really that bad? :/ That system does sound like a bit of a mess, if there really is such a disparity between player ratings.

Basicly the VR gain depends on the opponents you race with. If you have opponents that has a way higher VR then you, then you gain alot of VR points even if you lose. If your opponents are lower then you, you gain very little VR points if you win and lose alot of points when losing.

Also, i did not expected to have disconnection errors so frequent. I never had this issue with MK7. But my major complaint about mk8 is the coin item!

OH I AM SO GLAD I GOT THIS COIN!
ay7jznik8veizdk3xpz0.gif

Locke

Hegemon
Site Staff
Either of those changes individually would have been good.

1. Raise the cap to give the more devout players somewhere to go. Continue treating VR as "how much has this person played", with better players gaining it faster, weaker players gaining it slower. Continue to disregard actual skill in matchmaking.

-OR-

2. Add more rubberbanding. Punish harshly for losing to 'worse' players and vice-versa to make your VR better reflect your actual skill. It will eventually settle on your actual skill level with little to no positive gain, and matchmaking will place you with people right around your skill level.

One or the other would have been fine. 2 probably would have been better. But they went and did both, and it ended up like...

1+2. Add more rubberbanding. Punish harshly for losing to players who haven't played as much but may be better than you and vice-versa to push everyone toward the same average VR which ends up not meaning anything. Continue to disregard actual skill in matchmaking. Raise the cap...why, now that we're pushing everyone to 5k?

I'd be happy with a VR of 5k if that actually reflected my skill level and didn't seem like the bottom 5%. If the cap is 100k, an average racer should be able to achieve at least 50k.

edit: rep had another good idea.
losing vr should be constant no matter who it is, but gaining should change based on their VR

That way you don't get punished for playing with your low-VR friends, but it's not a good method of boosting your VR.

Last edited:
But my major complaint about mk8 is the coin item!

OH I AM SO GLAD I GOT THIS COIN!
ay7jznik8veizdk3xpz0.gif

I echo this, the amount of times I have lost a race because I got a coin instead of a red shell or something useful is asinine. Coins as an item are too common and pretty much ruin any chance to get into first place when you need to most. I dunno why Nintendo decided to re-introduce coins to Mario Kart when the series was doing fine without them.

Locke

Hegemon
Site Staff
Losing three coins when hit by an item is also very harsh. Not only are you slowed by the item, but now it's harder to catch up too with lower max speed.

Speaking of harsh items, banana peels should not bring you to a complete stop. Or take three coins. Reduce to a fraction of max speed and take one or two coins. Right now they're as powerful as green shells.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom