• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Majoras Mask is Actually in the Future.

Shamison

Just a simple nobody
Old:
Alright my theory is that Termina is actually Hyrule(from Oot) but many years in the future. This would also explain why Link sees familiar faces but those people are not the same people but descendants. Also I believe that Ikana Is actually Castle Town.
First I am going to establish how Hyrule became Termina. My speculation is that when the 'Ikanian War' took place the and most everyone was wiped out there were only a few survivors( who's descendants populate Clock Town). During this time much history was lost and they moved away from the Idea of Godesses and renamed Hyrule to Termina and Hyrule castle to Ikana Castle. Also to explain how Stone Tower got there I can only say that it got built before the war.
Now that I have the cause out of the way I can go over the effect. As Link traverses Termina he sees many similar races to his previous adventure. This would make sense if they had just moved or slightly changed over a long period of time. This is why the Gerudo had to move to the ocean due to a problem with their desert which happens over the course of time. The Gorons still lived in a mountain. The reason it was snow covered was because of skull kid. The Zoras had to move to the Ocean probably because of Water pollution or their river dries out.
Now for the Portal that takes Link to Termina. It could have have been a time portal or I like to believe a different theory. There is a theory that there are many parallel universes and some are excactly the same just at a different time period.
Finally I should cover the Happy Mask Salesan. I believe that he either has an extended life or he too used the portal.

Edit: Okay I figured out the problem with the land difference. First we have to look at Oot's map. In this Hyrule, Hyrule Castle is at the top or north if the map with unexplored areas off to the other directions of the map. In Termina if you start at Clock Town the Ikana Castle is to the east, but it is not facing Clock Town it is facing North. So this means that Termina is not located In the exact same place as Oot's Hyrule but actually to the East or right side of the map in unexplored territory. The reason I believe that they moved away was probably because the 'Ikanian War' destroyed their land and they had to move to a more suituble enviornment.

New:
So I completely revamped/rewrote my theory.(will update op in a bit)

Alright my theory is that Termina is actually Hyrule(from Oot) but many years in the future. This would also explain why Link sees familiar faces that look different due to being descendants of friends and foes. Also I believe that Ikana is actually Castle Town and its surroundings.
First I am going to establish how Hyrule changed and became know as Termina. My speculation is that when the 'Ikanian War' took place a large population was wiped out and people moved away from the devastation of war and founded clock town approximately where Lon Lon Ranch was. During this time much of their history was lost and when their Goddesses did not come to save them they denounced the Goddesses and gravitated towards the giants as their deities due to there obvious difference from the Goddesses. This led them to renaming the land and trying to forget their turbulent past. Afterwards they undertook the great Stone Tower project to appease the giants.
Now that I have established the theory I will cover the evidence and changes. First we look at a map of Hyrule(seen at bottom) and notice Hyrule castle at the north of the map. The direction is important so remember where it is relative to everything else. Now looking at Termina(seen at bottom) we first look at Ikana castle which is Hyrule castle. Obviously it isnt at the top ir north of the map so Termina is expanded differently from Hyrule in Oot but there are landmarks in the same places. To the southeast of Hyrule castle is the kokori forest. In Termina using Ikana castle as Hyrule castle we can see the overgrown forest and woodfall in the same place. You can even see what used to be zoras river on the terminan map. Now to the south of Hyrule, west of Termina is where the zoras thrive. The lake is missing which unfortunately I can only assume the ocean was already behind it and eroded away the land holding the lake separate. In the same place as the mountains separating Hyrule from the desert are the Gorons frozen mountains. Death mountain must have gone dormant so the Gorons migrated to the new mountains across the field but Majora froze them before Link arrived.
Now the Portal that takes Link to Termina. I have two main theories on this. First is the timeshift stones. Some may have been left in a cavern deep in the forest so when Link fell through it it transported him. Or the multiple universe theory. It was a magic portal that took him to a parallel world that was Hyrule in the future.It could have have been a time portal or I like to believe a different theory.

91FtRZs.gif

vFqB1oY.jpg

I have both here for comparison/archival purposes.

So that was my theory ( it was my first time trying to write one of these ) let me know what you think in the comments and tell me your option on this idea. Also let me know if I missed anything plot wise or grammar wise.

Last edited:

Kahz

Ganindarf is bezt
Well, Link from OoT is literally the same Link in MM already disproving this theory. The reason link sees similar races is because, do you see humans isolated to one area? No, same for dogs, cats, and the rest of them. The shape of the land is also extremely different to the areas of OoT, and the same for locations of the areas.

Shamison

Just a simple nobody
Well, Link from OoT is literally the same Link in MM already disproving this theory. The reason link sees similar races is because, do you see humans isolated to one area? No, same for dogs, cats, and the rest of them. The shape of the land is also extremely different to the areas of OoT, and the same for locations of the areas.

First I was trying to say that it is the link from Oot who went through the portal in lost woods to get to Termina that is still the same but instead of a different world it is his world further in time. Also as for the land maybe earthquakes and I was thinking of a lot of time passing not a couple of decades or centuries. But thanks for pointing out those flaws.

Kahz

Ganindarf is bezt
Sorry, I misunderstood that part lol. For the land from being in the middle of a continent to becoming something like france takes millions of years. Earthquakes don't move entire castles and even towns. I doubt there is a portal in the Lost Woods, it's just a sacred grove with a tunnel and such.

Last edited:

Shamison

Just a simple nobody
Sorry, I misunderstood that part lol. For the land from being in the middle of a continent to becoming something like france takes millions of years. Earthquakes don't move entire castles and even towns. I doubt there is a portal in the Lost Woods, it's just a sacred grove with a tunnel and such.

Okay that's true that is why it's a theory and I can't think of anyway to prove that part.

It is an interesting concept. If you have ever read any works or theories of Hylian Dan on Majora's Mask, he has done a lot of work trying to piece together Termina's past. If this is a concept you are interested in, try taking a look at his Tower of Babel/Stone Tower Temple theory. Maybe you will see a different take on the hidden clues in Stone Tower Temple, along with bringing forth decent evidence. I would love to read a super in depth discussion on this. :D

But I am a MM fanatic, who is currently writing about the different themes present within the game because many of the themes, I feel, have been overlooked over the years. :D

Shamison

Just a simple nobody
It is an interesting concept. If you have ever read any works or theories of Hylian Dan on Majora's Mask, he has done a lot of work trying to piece together Termina's past. If this is a concept you are interested in, try taking a look at his Tower of Babel/Stone Tower Temple theory. Maybe you will see a different take on the hidden clues in Stone Tower Temple, along with bringing forth decent evidence. I would love to read a super in depth discussion on this. :D

But I am a MM fanatic, who is currently writing about the different themes present within the game because many of the themes, I feel, have been overlooked over the years. :D
I will sounds interesting I will look into it. And I didn't realise that my theory was so good. I just had this idea and I finally wrote it out. And thanks for the review.

Kahz

Ganindarf is bezt
In reality I don't think it's /that/ good. Considering how I already picked out a ton of key points that you couldn't fill in means that I took down the structure of it. I believe was ApeironLight was starting a discussion on MM in general, since he didn't actually post mug about the theory itself.

In reality I don't think it's /that/ good. Considering how I already picked out a ton of key points that you couldn't fill in means that I took down the structure of it. I believe was ApeironLight was starting a discussion on MM in general, since he didn't actually post mug about the theory itself.

I actually wasn't trying to start a general MM discussion. (I am working on my own theories about the game, when I get time.) I said that I felt the concept was interesting. Neither stating that I thought the theory was a good one, or bad. Though I can't see myself ever truly backing the theory that MM is in the future (still in Hyrule), I didn't want to discourage Shamison from continuing to work on this theory. One of the best things about Zelda is that very little has been confirmed and there are many theories floating around. I for one, think that the Link is Dead Theory in MM is one of the dumbest things I have ever heard of. But there are still those who believe that it is true (because they want the game to be "edgy".)

But the Link is Dead Theory does bring up some interesting thoughts on the game. Who knows, maybe if Shamison found enough evidence to support this claim, this theory could in the least influence further theories for the Zelda timeline. We do already know that Termina is more technologically advanced than Hyrule as shown by the vast number of motorized clocks and the plans for a bomb powered rocket for a trip to the moon.

I don't honestly think that you really disproved the theory in what you said. Sure, there are of course definite holes in this theory (at least currently) for me to think that it holds much weight, but I would love to see the concept further explored some. Stating dogs and cats and humans can exist in multiple countries, doesn't in any way prove that dogs cats and humans didn't exist in the past or that they will cease to exist in the future. I do doubt that an earthquake drastically changed the land in the way proposed in an earlier post, but there are a lot of theories about how the lands are all the same/connected. One can be found here: http://forums.zeldainformer.com/threads/hyrule-map-by-timeline.8275/

I almost did start discussing my own thoughts, but I would rather stay on topic, than discussing my own theories/personal beliefs.

At least until Shamison is ready to convince me why it is true, or at least to debunk it. Who knows, maybe Shamison is on the verge of a breakthrough. In the least, I stand by my statement that it is an interesting concept.

Last edited:

Shamison

Just a simple nobody

If you read my edit you will see I solved the problem of the land.

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
Has anyone compare MM to Alice in wonderland? Seems kinda similar. A person falls down a hole to a realm that is full of wonders and horrors. We see a despotic Ruler intent on keeping the kingdom closed to all save their favorites. We see an ocean with unique creatures inhabiting the area. We also see a forest where mysterious things happen. Obviously there would be a few changes but there are similarities between the two.

Kahz

Ganindarf is bezt
If you read my edit you will see I solved the problem of the land.

proof?

I for one, think that the Link is Dead Theory in MM is one of the dumbest things I have ever heard of. But there are still those who believe that it is true (because they want the game to be "edgy".)
oh my god someone agreed

http://www.zeldacapital.com/HyruleMap/oot.jpeg

http://zeldawiki.org/images/thumb/9/91/Termina.jpg/450px-Termina.jpg

Termina:
Where is Gerudo Valley and/or Fortress?
Death Mountain?
Zora's Domain?
Hyrule:
Wouldn't the Deku Palace be around Hyrule Field or more towards the left on the OoT map

etc. Majority of key areas aren't seen.

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
Considering Termina is a parallel world, I wouldn't bank on it being futuristic reality of Hyrule.

Parallel worlds run side by side, but never meet (hence the term). So they exist within the same time it's just that they are seperate self realities.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom