• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Mafia Beginner's Guide

Status
Not open for further replies.

Justeazy

Todo is the pfuf!
There's a long line to host an advanced game (which would be with your poisoner, bomb, etc.), I'm currently in line to mod game 10; we're on 7 now. To my knowledge, there really is mod freedom to do your game how you choose here, as long as you give a fair shot to all sides as best you can. Though, Axle'd be the guy to ask for sure.
To my knowledge, there is nobody to host the next Beginners game, so if you become an active member here and you want to do BM6, that's open I think. Those are basic 1 Mafia, 1 Town, possible SK and/or other 3rd party, but mostly basic roles and VT games. Plus, BM games go much quicker than advanced games here because... well, I really don't know why, but most players around here like to take weeks to get past a single day it seems, so....

Libk

Spaceballs: The Mafia Player
your beginer rules are 12 players right? if so I have a design, but it sadly includes roles for what's considered advanced here. is that ok? See, Over on WotC, our beginer is known as a mini. We have a list of roles allowed in mini and both poisoner and bomb are in there, so I put them in my mini. A mini over there is twelve players, with three scum, and 9 town. obviously there's a Mod and BuM(back up Mod), but you have to host one mini there before hosting intermediate/intermediate +( your guys' advanced I'm assuming. Inter is 16 players, inter+ is 20 or more). Does it work the same here?

EDIT: I would by way of post but this isn't a game, but WotC is Wizards of the Coast

Last edited:

Justeazy

Todo is the pfuf!
your beginer rules are 12 players right? if so I have a design, but it sadly includes roles for what's considered advanced here. is that ok? See, Over on WotC, our beginer is known as a mini. We have a list of roles allowed in mini and both poisoner and bomb are in there, so I put them in my mini. A mini over there is twelve players, with three scum, and 9 town. obviously there's a Mod and BuM(back up Mod), but you have to host one mini there before hosting intermediate/intermediate +( your guys' advanced I'm assuming. Inter is 16 players, inter+ is 20 or more). Does it work the same here?

EDIT: I would by way of post but this isn't a game, but WotC is Wizards of the Coast

Anyone who cares knows what Wizards is. After all, this is a Zelda fan site. We know about things like Magic and Pokemon and D&D and such. :P
Those who don't know, well, they have to be on the internet to be reading that post, and we do have Google....

Pointless rambling aside, you'll find we do things much differently here. We're not as strict on what you can and can't have, you can choose the number of players, choose the theme, choose the roles, etc. The basic things are that it must remain appropriate for all ages (no GTA themes)(as appropriate for all ages as Mafia can get), and randomize the roles. So you don't say the first person who signed up gets Godfather, second gets Cop, etc. Use random.org or an online dice roller or something.
Other than that, and keeping beginner's games simple, it's pretty much anything goes.

Also, may be a good thing to say that we allow roles like Jester and Judas and such, but many people here consider roles like such "Bastard Roles" and will hate you and/or quit your game after discovering them.

Libk

Spaceballs: The Mafia Player
I just wanted to make sure people knew. I'm running a zelda game for 3.5 over there btw, but not important to Mafia. We randomize the roles(it wouldn't be fun if you had already decided who was getting what) and then the mod sets up a quick topic thread for the Mafia/masons/neighbors or whatever role that can talk to each other, to talk to each other. Our mini's just have a larger selection of roles to choose from, but with you saying there's mod freedom, I don't think my design should be too much a problem. Inters have more roles, then we have something called Player's choice, where a bunch of mods advertise their game, and the community votes on it. The rules in these are up to the designer of the game. They can create roles if they want to. But excluding everything I just said, is there a place that has rules on what can and can not be used in the beginer games here? if no, I think my design is pretty simple. Also, do we have to get the design aproved first?

Beginner's Mafia Info

This is an information thread about Beginner's Mafia, which has been running for a while now but has gone through some new changes. This thread describes how it currently works. This is subject to change as we see any potential problems with it, but it's good to start and will be updated if necessary.

What is Mafia?
This thread explains the basics of the game, and then goes on to give tips on how to play. It's actually recommended you read the whole thing as it has a lot of good information for newcomers.

What is Beginner's Mafia?
Beginner's Mafia is exactly what the name suggests: Mafia for beginners. Many of the main Mafia games have had problems because of new players who were obstructive to the game in various ways, but on the flip side there's lots of new players who just didn't have fun with the main game because of other players leaving them behind or expecting too much from them.

Beginner's Mafia is the compromise, and this is where new players join in to learn about the game. Advanced players are barred from playing most of the time (although playing one or two normal games of Mafia doesn't automatically mean you're an advanced player and you may still be allowed).

How Does Beginner's Mafia Work and How is it Different?
Beginner's games are run alongside the main Mafia games, are restricted to new or relatively new players, and are designed to be simpler and geared towards teaching players and helping them improve. The game's mod will be more proactive in giving advice, both inside the thread and privately, and some games may have additional mentors - advanced players who will give the beginners advice.

Beginner's Mafia games are nearly always going to be very small and short, with a low player count (10-12, ideally), and probably shorter Day periods. They are also going to be run in short "seasons" most of the time; 2-3 games will be played in succession, getting slightly more and more advanced. Most of the time I'm hoping they will follow this format, though they may deviate:

• 1st game has only basic roles but all are revealed.
  • 2nd game has more advanced roles but all are revealed
  • 3rd game has a theme and roles are secret.

And then it will repeat. Players are free to not join any subsequent ones in a "season" (not the official name, just for lack of a better term), or to join in one of the later ones without doing all of them. It's just designed to introduce people to elements gradually.

Can I Join A Beginner's Game?
Anyone can join a game of Beginner's Mafia so long as they're not a player who's so experienced they're pretty much guaranteed to win or lead the rest of the players. It will be judged case by case, so feel free to ask.

When Can I Join the Main Game?
You can join it any time when the game mod and/or myself decide that you're good enough, although you won't necessarily be barred from playing the main Mafia game unless you play Beginner's Mafia first (some players might seem like they'd take to it naturally, or others may have had experience on other sites). This too is judged case by case, so ask!

If you have any questions or comments, feel free to ask them in this thread.

Siniru

Zoldyck family assassin
Storm read my mind. Can someone PM me too? It is my first time and I really wanna try it out.

Storm read my mind. Can someone PM me too? It is my first time and I really wanna try it out.

The next game starts after the current one (Fullmetal Alchemist Mafia) ends. There are always two Mafia games: a regular one, and a beginner's game. If you've never played before, I reccomend starting on a beginner's game once it becomes avaliable, which is, like I said, after the current games end.

pkfroce

Skelepuns
Are there still Beginner games going on nowadays? This is my first time, and I don't want to join the more advanced ones.

Viral Maze

Verb the adjective noun
The consensus so far is that most players (who chimed in) are in favour of getting rid of the distinction between beginners and advanced games. Mods can still call their games whatever they want, and cater to whatever experience level but now we just have games.

Many beginners are joining games that aren't beginners games. Don't be afraid to join a game that isn't designated a beginners game by the mod. Personally, I believe its the best way to learn, to play with experienced players and see how they act and react, and what to look for when hunting scum/town PRs.

I think signups for the next game, The Legend of Korra Mafia, will be starting soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread