• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

James Cameron's Avatar Movie

What did you think of Avatar?

• I loved it!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • It was pretty good.

• It was decent.

• I didn't like it very much.

• Total voters

Niko Bellic 817

GH3: Legends of Rock
There's a lot of hype surrounding this new movie which uses new technology. Everything in the movie is computer generated. There is a race in the movie called the Na' Vi which are these bluish-looking things.

Looks overhyped to me. Probably just because the director is they guy that did Titanic, and even then, that really wasn't my type of movie anyway. I won't be seeing this one, and I doubt I'll spend the omney for it when it comes to DVD either. It just doesn't look that good or interesting to me.

D

DinguePample

I thought it was very good,but I'm a sucker for those types of movies. Though, it didn't really need to be in 3-D..I guess the picture was better, but that was about it, nothing jumping out at you. The natives look more like cats to me...with their noses and ears...Also, there was a weird reference in there....I guess you'd have to see it to get what I was talking about. When Jake (the main guy) is playing with his braid thing, his pink little tentacle things come out, and Sigourney Weaver tells the him "Don't play with that, or you'll go blind". Which makes it sounds like its his...you know. So he was basically having relations with the horse things and the flying things. Creep!

K

Kotake

I thought it was very good.

The 3-d was used to great advantage.

No, nothing flew out at you, but I find that a stupid cliche for 3-d movies.
Instead, they used it to give the forest depth. To make some things in-focus and others out of focus, just as it is in real life.

The plot reminded me of a studio Ghibli movie with it's 'eco' message.

I honestly thought it was amazing. It was well worth my time and money. And I'm definitely getting it on dvd.

I actually just watched it today. I must say, Avatar is probably... Well definitely the best movie I have ever seen. The visuals are completely insane and the story, while a bit basic, is incredible. The true appeal of this movie is how good it looks, but after you get passed that, you just get absorbed into it and stop differentiating between computer generated graphics and the real thing, because you really just stop paying attention after a while. While you are paying attention, however, its just incredible to see how much work went into all the minute details of the Na'vi. This film deserves all the hype that it has gotten and then some. I won't spoil anything in particular about the movie, but I will endorse everyone to watch it. As soon as I get the chance, I'm hittin it up in 3-D.

Smitie

The Dutch Kusagari
I watched the 2D version and I was really impressed. As a biologist in training I loved all the weird wildlife and plants. The story was a bit cliché, but every movie has something cliché in it and I don't mind that. I'm not going to watch the 3D version because of one simple reason...the subtitles. In the Netherlands we use subtitles instead of Dutch voices and I heard that while the movie is in 3D, the subtitles are in 2D and float somewhere in front of the movie. If you focus too much on the subtitles (which is needed if you want to read them), your eyes can't take the illusion of the 3D anymore which results in a head ache. The 2D version is also epic enough to be a good movie and thanks to the awesome cinema I go to, there were no annoying breaks in it :D.

Y2K3

Lushier than Mercy!
I've heard mixed reviews about this movie. Some say it was the best thing ever, and others hated it. It doesn't really look like my type of movie, but maybe I'd like it. I doubt I'll be seeing it in theatres (if it's still there), but when it comes out on DVD, if I was somewhere that had it, I might watch it.
I normally dont' like things that are really hyped like this, but perhaps I'll be surprised. :)

Ikana

Trollkastel
I haven't watch it yet but I heard it's really good but it doesn't seem like the type of movie I would watch though.

L

look

This movie is best watched in 3D! Awesome movie worth the extra cash!<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

CZG

I'd say it's overrated. More than a little actually. It's a good excuse to check out the 3D cinema thingy, as it's a better movie than the fantasy movie I saw last year... But on it's own, I'm not impressed.
The story man, we've been through that a thousand times already!

Only watch this movie when you have nothing else to do...

G

Goron Guru

BEST. MOVIE. EVER. In my own opinion, the movie is not remotely overhyped. Even if it's not your type of movie, even if you don't like the story, there is no denying the glorious visuals, especially in 3-D. It takes "eye candy" to a whole new level.

D

DinguePample

One of my friends told me that she was watching some show, where they said that they were making fun of Bush throughout the entire thing..But I wasn't paying attention for those kind of things. Anyone else notice that?

Din Akera

Sniper
I watched the 2D version and I was really impressed. As a biologist in training I loved all the weird wildlife and plants.

I have taken Botany courses, and someone really did their homework on primitive plant life. It was all very by the book. The 'columns' that they talked about on the big tree are actually called butress roots, the main purpose of them is to support large plants, this is mainly in heavily forested areas and can be found in the rainforest today, but it is a characteristic of primitive plants due to that fact that they were huge.

But I LOVED the movie, I am a sucker for a romance. But it wasn't just that, it was adventure, suspense, action, fantasy, sci-fi, and romance! I thought it was a fabulous movie. THe 3D really added effect for me too. The one scene where the actor was holding a gun and he turned around and pointed it at the camera, to me it really looked like the gun came out of the screen at me and I jumped because there was a gun in my face! Best movie I have ever seen.

S

Seanileus

I think it was a good movie, James Cameron obviously knows what he's doing in terms of directing.
But I think everyone who has a problem with this movie should just shut the FUDGE up, it's a creative movie that looks pretty, don't BISCUIT about the storyline being similar to Pochohantas (or however the FUDGE you spell her name).

I mean, for gods sake!
Sigourney Weaver's character has a line where she says, "I need a cigarette", and anti-smoking mobs just shat all over the movie.

What the hell!? She says one line about cigarettes, then has a three second scene of her smoking, and people go mad about that!

But James Cameron, the giant douche, answered the anti-smoking people, by saying:

"Sigourney Weaver's character is supposed to be a metaphore, about gamers on the internet who care more about their characters than themselves, just like Ms. Weaver's character, she cares more about her Avatar, than her human form."

Okay sure, I get it.
But why put the blame on gamers!?

Avatar is a good movie, but James Cameron has got his head pretty far up his ACE for it.

Plus, this is a movie where you just have to see it in 3-D, it just won't do on a deeveedee or even a blue ray mantis.

Last edited by a moderator:

arkvoodle

Diabolical
Being a fan of Science Fiction, I went to see this movie several weeks ago. I was very impressed by the special effects and character design.
I watched it in 3D, and unlike other3D movies, it was very realisitc. (in my opinion). The plot of the film was a bit odd, but the Special effects made up for that.

Avatar has easily made its way into my top 10 movies of all time, and will probably stay there for another decade or two. :P

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom