• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Twilight Princess I Think It's the Weakest Zelda

This is my own opinion, just wanted to share it with you guys, if somebody thinks the same, express yourself! :cool:

I have just recently finished TP for the very first time (yeah, as you can guess, I'm a very poor Zelda fan), and I got out of it thinking it was the weakest main Zelda title of all, besides AoL. Of course, we're talking about a Zelda game, and even having been given this title by me, I would still rate TP above 9 in a scale to 10.

The reason I didn't like TP as much is simple: the gameplay is not on par with it's predecessors. For an easy comparison, most of the dungeons in TP are completely straightforward and VERY simple. They really dissapointed me in this department, as with the other titles, like OoT and LttP, the dungeons were way more complex, and you actually got relieved after you found the map and the compass to guide you. The only dungeon that truly satisfied me in TP, was the Lakebed Temple (and I thought Arbiter Grounds was pretty decent).

The new itens acquired are also rarely useful, either for combat or exploration. I just remember a hanfull times when I needed the spinner or the dominion rod for something outside their respective dungeons. The most useful new item, the double clawshot, is not really an original idea. The exploration is also a little bit weak. Most fields are just empty big spaces, sort of a waste, and I guess everybody already knows about the ridiculously HUGE abundance of ruppes in the game.

Well, TP still had some very good stuff about it, and an aspect I really appreciated was it's characters. TP had some really good characters, like Ilia, Yeta/Yeto, Colin, Renado, Telma, Prince Ralis, Aghita, Beth, Hena, etc, and I still think they could have done some more about all of them. I got sort of sad because Zelda didn't have much of a participation in the story, I mean, she was important, but we barelly talked to her throughout the adventure.

And them there's Midna, holy ****!!! o_O <3

She starts of as an irritating girl that orders you around, but after the first portion of the game, she makes up for everything she said, and by the end, there's absolutely no way you don't love her! :xd:
Seriously, as much as this game has a few flaws, Midna's character compensates all of them! She's even hotter than Zelda (in the end, of course! :lol:), and I simply can't sleep anymore after seeing that ending! (just kidding, it is an awesome ending)

So that's it, the gameplay is not as good as it's predecessors (still very good, on the other hand), but Midna made up for it.

Now planning to get WW next, I'm still trying to find a GameCube controller and a memory card!

A

Algalord

I still haven't played this game, mostly because I'm afraid of disappointment; it never struck me as an exciting prospect. The odds of Nintendo producing a game suited to the hardcore gamer are next to nil with the Wii, which clearly panders to a more casual audience. I understand Nintendo wants to expand their demographic and I don't want to speak disparagingly to people who really do just play games casually, but I feel alienated. When I say "hardcore", I am alluding to difficulty, not presentation: I actually didn't mind the colorful direction of Wind Waker so much, even if it was a little disappointing when it became clear it wasn't a "spiritual successor" to OoT, but other people are insecure about their maturity and feel the need to bemoan such bright and whimsical art styles. As someone indifferent to posturing, however, my primary concern is challenge and gameplay, so long as they manage to create a vast world I can feel immersed in with great level design and attention to detail.

This is why they should just can Skyward Sword and release Ura Zelda instead.

DuckNoises

Gone (Wind) Fishin'
Don't worry; you're not alone. I would also say that TP is my least favourite of all the 3D Zelda games. Expanding on what I said when discussing a similar topic:
It was too wishy-washy; certain parts were great, but the last third or so of the game really felt like it was going down a slope in quality. That's just my opinion; again, it's not that I didn't like it, I just felt it really could have been better, especially considering dungeons 4,5, and 6 were terrific, and it just ended with a bad taste in my mouth. Perhaps it is the fact that the game showed me it could deliver very well in the middle and then decided not to nearing the end.
It's not so much that the gameplay was bad -- on the contrary, it was quite good -- it's just that it showed you that it could be better within its own parameters, and then taunted you by not delivering in the end.

I was rather discontent with the story at times, as well. I agree, Midna was a superb and delightful character, but the rest of the story felt very contrived to me by the second half of the game, bar Midna.
The Ilia subplot was decent at the beginning, but the subplot was abandoned later on for no good reason by some arbitrary plot device. It showed promise there, too, but it seemed like the game just decided to not bother. There was some great character development in the beginning, but most of those characters were just forgotten about near the end of the game, when they could have been used to great ends. At the very end, I felt that even Midna's actions didn't fit the narrative that was being portrayed throughout the rest of the game.

...And then there was Ganondorf. I felt the game would have been much better leaving the Triforce out of the picture entirely, rather than shoving its presence and Ganondorf in at the very end where it certainly wasn't needed. I think he should have still been present within the game, but more in the back story of Zant and the Twilight Realm rather than being physically there. It would have been much more interesting to have him linger there as an ominous figure whose influence was felt across the world, (much like in ALttP) but only never to be met physically in the game. It would fit his original, scheming OoT character much more than what we actually saw of him in TP; sometimes, less is more.

These are just my feelings. I know a lot of people really enjoyed it, and for good reason. I was just disappointed by how much promise it showed me early on, but I feel that it failed to live up to my expectations of it.

I just want to ask: how many Zelda games can you think of that utilize every items outside of their respective dungeons?

Actually, most of them! Lttp, OoX, MM, OoT, LA, etc! (I still have to play WW)
I mean, I think there are only two places in the field where you'll use the spinner to get 2 heart pieces in TP. And all the places you use the dominion rod are necessary to the completion of the game, so it's not really your exploration.

@DuckNoises
Yeah, lots of good points there.

The game showcases a lot of promises, and in the end, it's just not that good. After I beated the Lakebed Temple, I thought "Wow, imagine the next dungeons!", but them eventually comes the Temple of Time, which is very simple (you don't even need a map), and the twilight palace, very straightforward too, and Hyrule Castle, another disappointment. You have the feeling that, if they just put a little more effort into it, it could have been WAY better. Like with the potential the cast had, like you said, but that didn't have much improvement on.

And yeah, Ganon's appearance feels forced, but I didn't have much of a problem with it.

Last edited:
I disagree. I enjoyed Twilight Princess a lot more than many Zelda games. But for each their own I suppose.

Shadsie

Sage of Tales
I like to read TV Tropes, and recently, I was reading about stuff like fandom Broken Base and stuff relating to the Legend of Zelda on there. By and large, I've found what the people on that wiki said to be true. It sounds a bit exagerated, but they talked about how one becomes a pariah in the fandom if one mentions that one *actually likes* Twilight Princess...

Maybe it's a bit of courage on my part, but I've never been anything but up front about it: I LOVE TWILIGHT PRINCESS. It is my *favorite* Zelda game.

At the same time, I understand why some fans dislike it. Even though I love it, I will readily admit that it is one of the easier games in the series (I found Wind Waker to be easier), but it's the one that my fiance' (kind of a non-gamer) recently beat and I think it was a good one for him to start out with *because* if it's ease. Those fans who like a really challenging game - well, I can see why TP was "too easy" or "too casual" for them. I can see why people dislike it for it's grit or "Western games style." All Zelda games are whimsical, but it's a bit less so than many.

Still, I personally love it (for some of the same reasons why many hate it). The ease of gameplay doesn't bother me because I think the story and characters make up for it (I'm a writer, I *live* for story and characters in any media).

Personally, I find TP to be one of the strongest Zeldas (if not *the* strongest - because of the story, to me, it has the best fleshed-out story). But, my definition is different than others - some think of "strongest" as being "strongest gameplay" while I'm looking at other things.

Actually, most of them! Lttp, OoX, MM, OoT, LA, etc! (I still have to play WW)

ALttP: I'll give you that one.
OoT: There comes a time in the game where you can't even use half of your items. It's been a long time since I've played it so I can't remember it all too well, but I don't remember using the Lens of Truth that much. The Ice Arrow is also useless. I don't remember using the Megaton Hammer that much either.
MM: MM is another game I haven't played in a long time. I'll see what I can remember. The special arrows (Fire, Ice, Light) you receive in the dungeons. I remember using them in their respective dungeon and just a little bit to get to the next one, but that's about it. Then, there's also the Great Fairy Sword, Magic Bean, Deku Sticks, Deku Nuts, Powder Keg.

I also can't remember anything about the OoX and LA.

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
I love TP very much! Yes it is pretty easy and sometimes a bit too easy. But everytime I beat it I create a new file and play it again. I agree they could have done more to the story. There were some flaws in it. But I complete agree with Shadsie. TP is my fav Zelda game out of the games I played.

Ikana

Trollkastel
I have to say TP is one of my least favorite Zelda games,that doesn't mean that its bad I just don't like it much than the other ones.TP is a bit too easy and I wished they made it to were you can use the Spinner and the Rod more,but that's like that in allot of Zelda's.I like TP but not as much as I do to the other Zelda games.

PhantomTriforce

I am a Person of Interest
Here are some of my opinions:

1. The dungeons in WW are far, far easier than the dungeons in TP

2. The dominion rod is used outside of it's dungeon a lot. Were you playing the game? It is the sole key of how to get into the next dungeon.

3. The exploration in not weak. There were a few Lantern Caves that you needed to explore Hyrule to find. Same with the owl statues. You needed to use the whole of Hyrule to get them all.

Beeker

Wild Card
Meh, I guess everyone has their own opinions about TP. I, for one, am one of those people who enjoy playing this game. It is my favourite Zelda game, I'll admit.:nod:

Sure, the game is easy, but I did not know as much about Zelda's difficulty when I first played it. I loved the games story and I think it's quite deep and fleshed out compared to some of the others. I myself thought the story was one of the best parts, because I like a good story in my games. And even thought there isn't much out there when it comes to exploration, I still love riding around the huge fields.

I don't know why, but there is just a special place in my heart for this game. Maybe it's because of the story, or exploring the massive(but empty) overworld, but whatever it is, it just does. And sure, this game has flaws, almost every ohter game out there does.

tetrafan

Zelda Fan Girl
I liked Twilight Princess but its my least favourite 3d Zelda. I didn't really like some of the dungeons like the Lakebed temple and the Sky Temple. its so easy to get lost. and i thought Wolf Link was underused. Zelda wasn't in it much. I didn't really like any of the characters much except Midna,Link,Zelda,Colin and Telma. The bosses are really easy and not really challageing. I know Wind Waker is easy too but i really enjoyed it much more The story is flawless and i liked all the characters and the Great sea i loved more then TPs Hyrule Field which did seem to be a lot of empty space and their wasn't alot of sidequests. its still a good game but not as good as the other 3d Zelda's.

February Eve

ZD District Attorney
Well, I am biased because I love TP. But I am glad you said that you thought Zelda was important to the story, because I think there's a difference between wanting to interact with her and thinking she was underused. I've seen the latter criticism, and don't understand it. In team sports, it's important not to be a showboat - if you don't have a good chance at the goal, it's important to pass the ball to someone who does. That's Zelda's role in the story. She knows Midna is in a better position to save both kingdoms, and so she gives her the tools to do so, even if it takes her (meaning Zelda) out of the game herself. I think it was a brilliant way to show the kind of person she is. It would have been nice if there had been more opportunities to interact with her, but I'm still happy with her the way she is due to the strong characterization it gives.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom