• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

I dont care

As a gamer I play games for the stories and characters. I believe that the gaming medium can tell stories that no other medium can (much like novels and movies).

Tropes of video game characters and stories are ones that most appeal to me so it is my chosen medium overall to enjoy enriching entertainment experiences.

But it doesnt always work out well, sometimes there's a game that intrigues me, often of a high profile series that Ive loved for years. I know the gameplay will be fine and at least the playable main character is a one i know i like...

A case in point is thag I recently played Rise of the Tomb Raider. I enjoyed the reboot in 2013 and i know i like Lara Croft. I was eager to play the game but... the game as a whole failed to engage me on an intriguing level. I didnt enjoy the characters, i didnt enjoy the story either. While the game was competant enougb to play, i just wasnt invested in the story and i ended up counting the hours until it was over.

Other quality games have had the some trouble for me. Witcher 3, Skyrim, Mass Effect, Horizon Zero Dawn... these games are high quality and decent to pmay, but their characters and story just do not entice me to continue. I end up just doing my own thing because i just dont care.

Generic stories and characters, uninteresting lore and one dimensional NPCs... i just dont care.

Which games for you (good or bad) failed to intrigue you in story? Whih games did you play where you just didnt care what was going on?

Reactions: Dio

Cartoonmaniac

Biggest Zelda fan this side of the South Pole
Skyrim's story and lore definitely do not appeal to me, and the 2013 Tomb Raider reboot's story did not interest me at all. I'm actually having more fun playing Tomb Raider after I've completed the story and can explore the world however I wanted.

With games did you play where you just didnt care what was going on?
Most Legend of Zelda games. Sure the story is nice and I roll with it, but overall I jsut don't care too much about their story as it's just a messed up multi timeline thing. The gameplay and fun is why I like the games.

Most Legend of Zelda games. Sure the story is nice and I roll with it, but overall I jsut don't care too much about their story as it's just a messed up multi timeline thing. The gameplay and fun is why I like the games.
Same here, I would hardly even call the Zelda series story based games, typically as generic as they come, but that's fine, and I still love them. Some exceptions but typically that's the case.

Castle

Ch!ld0fV!si0n
Pan-decepticon-transdeliberate-selfidentifying-sodiumbased-extraexistential-temporal anomaly
Most video game stories suffice for me, even if most video game writers are on par with twelve year old fan-fiction writers or stephanie meyer. The only games I can think of that really have solid literature are Witcher 3 and Sleeping Dogs. Twilight Princess' story is astonishingly advanced and articulate. The problem comes about when a game series dwells so strongly on story (especially at the expense of gameplay) and then fails to deliver on a satisfying execution or conclusion (*cough* mass effect *cough*).

The only games that have ever really failed to interest me in narrative from the get go are animu nonsense games. Recent Final Fantasies for the most part, the vast majority of JRPGs, Metal Gear, the like. And I think this boils down to cultural differences. Japan tells stories differently, just not often in ways I can appreciate. These games are very strongly story focused so I can't say I'm too terribly interested in giving them much attention.

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
For me Skyrim wasn't about my connection to the character or the story, but the actual world and ways to play. Still doesn't take way that it is absent of any good characters and it had an awful plot. Witcher 3 fixed that imo. Every character seemed intriguing, the main story was pretty good and side quests had a certain realness to them - almost as if they were genuine problems existing in the world with thier own individual tales.

While a lot of RPGs can just get by on open world alone, I don't think it's enough. Even if I create my own character, I want to feel engaged in the world. I want to feel as if I'm interacting with it. I want to care beyond just exploring.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom