• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

General Zelda Hyrule Prehistory?

Shadsie

Sage of Tales
So, I got a little suprise in the mail today. My dear lovely Bob had ordered me the Hyrule Historia as a late Christmas present, so I've been sitting here, perusing it.

When I got to the infamous Official Timeline (and was amused at how the preface is "this is the knowledge we have so far, blah, blah, blah" as a face-saver for whenever Nintendo creates new games for the series that will need to be fit in) I was struck with a werid thought:

The Timeline starts with the Goddesses creating the world - the basic, somewhat vauge creation story - and then it's right into ancient humans/Hylians and the fight against Evil. (Kind of like some legendary/mythological/relgious accounts in our world, it's all human-focused with very little attention given to the primordial).

Does Hyrule have a prehistory? Do the people have a concept of any kind of length of time before people? (I'm not sure we - in our world - did until we started getting interested in all those fossils of giant ground sloths and saruopods lying around in our rocks and figuring out how old rock strata was)... but...

Hyrule HAS fossils! "Demon fossils" are a treasure-item in Spirit Tracks, fossil fish and ammonite-type creatures are seen in many of the stratas around certain temples and whatnot. (I remember seeing them in the Eldin region in Skyward Sword, in the caverns/Death Mountain area and in the Water Temple in Twililght Princess. I'm pretty sure I've seen fossils in Ocarina of Time, too). I know that the Dodongo is described as a "dinosaur" - as a throwback to dinosuars.

I know that evolution is a little weird in the Legend of Zelda's universe(s)... with the Zora-to-Rito thing and all that, that it's rapid/magically-assisted, probably more like Pokemon evoulution than actual natural selection... so it's possible the people don't have any deep-time concept.

*Shurg*

In any case, I was looking at that timeline and thinking "Okay, somewhere between the Goddesses and the Sky Era, there was a plucky young velociraptor named 'Link' in the squawky language of his kind who became a hero to those with swordlike claws and became the progenitor of the Loftwings." --- Because I'm weird.

Anyway, would you like to see some more hintings at prehistory in the games? Fossils and references and the like?

I love the idea of Velociraptor Link.

I think there is plenty of room for more 'history' before Skyward Sword (I think Anouma even hinted at that when talking about making a game the 'first' in chronolgy), but delving into the prehistory may have to take a backseat until late in the history of the more prosperous timelines (Adult and Child)

ihateghirahim

The Fierce Deity
For all we know, there never was any evolution in Hyrule. The world was rather rapidly created by Nayru, Farore, and Din. I want to see the actual creation of Hyrule. We should get to meet three goddesses and learn their motives and personalities. We should see them come from the nebula and actually set the races in place. This provides for a final back story, the peace of mind that there is no further back to go, and a chance for some real Demise action. I hope they do this, and finally set all our speculations to rest.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom