• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

How did you start your hobbies?

Uwu_Oocoo2

Joy is in video games and colored pencils
Forum Volunteer
I'm pretty sure everyone has some sort of hobby, whether it be art, music, sewing, etc. What made you start yours?

For me, I started drawing in 7th grade shortly after my best friend because she liked to draw. I just wanted to be able to make drawing that were better than hers, sort of a friendly competition lol. She doesn't draw much anymore so she hasn't really improved a lot, but I still think she's better at it.
My other hobby which I don't do as often, is sewing plushies. I just started doing it during the pandemic because I was bored and trying not to go insane.

I've been drawing since before preschool. I guess kind of similarly, I had someone to pace with, being my sister. Lots of my early childhood was sitting at a Fischer Price picnic table and drawing the cast from Scooby Doo and the Powerpuff Girls with my sis. Found this when I was cleaning out something in the basement last year; if I were to guess, I was probably 3 or 4 when I drew this.
81901bd9d9.jpg

I hope I find more of these cuz they're hilarious to me. I think that might also speak about my love of plants from an early age :suspicious:

While I did obsessively pick dandelions as a child, my real interest in plants probably stemmed (pun not intended) more from my mom being given houseplants by people and then them dying, and then I finally took it upon myself to keep them alive cuz my mom couldn't. I eventually got my first houseplant to call my own when I was in sixth grade, spontaneously while school supply shopping. It's sadly no longer with me, rest in peace og blue violet </3

As for bugs/photography, it was kind of similar with the dandelion thing. I was always that kid who'd chase butterflies and dragonflies. Loved some of the more stereotypically charismatic bugs like ladybugs and stuff. Watched that stupid bootleg Bug's Life VHS tape that I've memed about at length more times than was probably healthy... but I probably didn't really become a genuine bug person until I was in middle school or so, cuz that was when I got into photography beyond just taking pictures of our pet gerbils. I got a dlsr camera for Christmas when I was in high school (the one I'm still using) and I've been more and more ambitious about insect photography over the years since.

Chevywolf30

The one and only.
Forum Volunteer
I've always played random crap like Minecraft, Roblox, browser games and the like, but my being really into gaming came from when my family was given that Wii U with Twilight Princess and Wind Waker, which led to me joining here, which is really where I got into gaming in general. I might have gone the Pokemon route, I was also new to Pokemon around the same time and might have gotten into the games just because I wanted to check them out, but in this timeline, the reason I have a Switch is because I joined here basically.

Writing I'm not sure about, I've always enjoyed coming up with stories and the best way to get them out is to write them. I know that somewhere is a Hank the Cowdog fanfiction I wrote when I was like 9. I also wrote an epic crossover fic of all my favorite stuff when I was 11, we're talking Mario, Lego Movie, Bloons Tower Defense, Ninjago. My hobby of writing also is why I'm here, back in late 2020 I was novelizing Wind Waker to share with a friend and wanted to share it with the Zelda fandom as well and since I had used Zelda Dungeon for walkthroughs, I clicked the forums tab and here I am now. So you could say my enjoyment for writing indirectly got me into gaming :goron:

And then the big one. NASCAR. My grandpa (Mom's dad) has been into it since the 70s, and then in the late 90s/early 2000s, my grandma watched a race with it, then their daughters got into it as well. When my mom was still expecting me, she and Dad visited a show car at a Home Depot, and the people there drove it around the lot, revving the engine. So I've always said that that was the birth of my love for NASCAR. Thing is, everyone kinda fell off of it in the mid-late 2000s, and then in 2017 I got back into it, I think maybe just because I decided to visit NASCAR.com on a whim and saw that there was a race that Sunday iirc.

twilitfalchion

and thus comes the end of an era
Staff member
Music has a been a thing in my life for as long as I can remember. Listening to it, singing along with it, etc. As I got older I eventually started taking piano lessons, and even though I don't take lessons anymore, I'm into some kind of musical activity no matter what happens. Research, discussion, and so on. Can't really imagine my life without that interest I've been into it for so long.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
I started piano playing at age 12 I think. I wanted to learn a different instrument as I already played the clarinet. I like film soundtracks and classical but my teacher had a music production synthesiser and was into hardcore EDM and it got me really into that sort of thing. I ended up getting my own synthesiser and now have a midi controller and do it all on the PC.

With video gaming, I saw my cousin playing Ocarina of Time and I was enthralled. I saw him fighting Ganondorf and Ganon who I thought was amazing. I also saw him play Banjo Kazooie which happened to have a witch in it and I was obsessed with witches already so I was absolutely sold on getting a Nintendo 64 for myself. I got one that Christmas and have been gaming ever since.

I started painting lord of the rings figures at age 11. I did try the tabletop game however my main interest was the painting itself and I amassed a large collection, mostly of Sauron and Sarumans minions. I stopped painting for a long while however since taking up D&D and having a friend with a 3D printer to create models I have taken up the painting again.

I took up going to the gym when I was 15. I wanted to beat up anyone who was mean in school and put people off trying anything. Unfortunately the worst offenders were expelled before I had the chance to get them but I have continued the training to this day.

Eating. My Malaysian granny taught me to cook thankfully when I was very young as I was sick of my parents disgusting meals. They were terrible cooks. I usually cook with an east Asian style but I have experimented with other cuisines as well. I cook but also usually go to about 3 restaurants a week. I like trying new places out but also I have my regular pig out spots as well.

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
When I was 13 the church which I visited at that time got a new building so we were making decorations. All hand made. I saw a cross stitchpattern of Daisy Duck ( nope, NOT Daisy Duke :P ) and wanted to make that. One of the ladies showed me how to cross stitch and voila... I got bitten by that cross stitch virus for the rest of my life :D

Dizzi

magical internet cat....
ZD Legend
sis gave me a jigsaw and i enjoyed its meditative feels i got from it....
Gamin my bro played some games and i liked watching him and helping my bro then he was hey diz just do this while i pop to the loo and he came back and id killed the guy....

TheGreatCthulhu

Composer of the Night.
ZD Champion
Well my main hobby is music, which is also my job, so I guess it's story time.

I actually always had an interest and fascination with music ever since my dad played Led Zeppelin. I really wanted to basically be as awesome as Jon Bonham on drums, and my brother wanted to play guitar.

So realizing that this wasn't just some passing fluke, my parents took my brother and I to a local music shop. He ended up getting a guitar, an amp, some cables, strings, and picks, and a guitar instruction video, and he was already off to the races, as my young 7 or 8 year old self saw it.

Meanwhile, the drum set I wanted wasn't in stock, so I had to wait with basically two pairs of drumsticks and a practice pad, as well as a drum instruction video. I did what I was supposed to, learned my basic rudiments, but to compensate for the lack of a kit for the time being, I'd use various things to function like a bass drum, snare, tom toms, and cymbals so I can start playing drums.

Eventually the drum set came, and I learned enough to learn a basic back beat, some fills, and such. And I was doing okay. But I didn't get the same feeling of satisfaction that I did with guitar.

It's really the guitar that enamored me. So when my brother was off at baseball or football practice, I'd sneak into his room, and play his guitar, and learn from the instructional video as much as I could.

Eventually my brother ended up giving me his guitar and amp, and that's when I really started hitting guitar hard, learning everything I could, and that started in earnest around age 8 or 9.

Now, as to how I got into metal guitar, specifically, that's another fun story. See, my cousins and I used to skateboard a lot as a hobby, well, one of my cousins and his dad were taking a road trip to California where his dad's family was to have a family reunion of sorts. We were around 12 to 13 years old at this point, so he invites me, I pack up and we head to California, with my natural choice of music for the start of the trip being Led Zeppelin's song, "Going to California."

Now, at this point in my guitar journey, I was a mere young Padawan with guitar. I basically idolized Jimmy Page and David Gilmour as the exemplars of what good guitar playing was. I wasn't yet exposed to this thing called metal or shred guitar. About the heaviest music I listened to at this time was the Misfits, Ramones, and Black Flag. What a shocker, a young skater into punk rock, right?

So my cousin and my friends hung out all the time, and often during our skate sessions, we'd trade tapes and CD's for the music, and in addition to finding cool skate spots, we saw this as an opportunity to expand our music collections, which ran the gamut from AC/DC, Led Zeppelin, Johnny Cash (our grandpa's influence), Pink Floyd, and various assorted classic rock and punk rock bands.

So we're traveling all through California, stopping for food and what not, so we stopped at a mall to get some food, and we saw a nice music shop there, so we got permission and some money to go buy some CD's.

So I'm going through various different artists, and I came across a peculiar album that had what looked like an Egyptian Pharaoh being carried into a pyramid with a statue of a zombified Khufu. As a kid, I did alright in school, so I knew that this was like fantasized artwork of the Great Pyramid of Giza.

Album Art Analysis #1: Iron Maiden - Powerslave - Metal Music Forum

The band wasn't yet a band I had heard of, their name was Iron Maiden, and the name of the album was Powerslave, written in some kind of Egyptian-y style font. I was intrigued, but I wanted to make sure I got something awesome. See, sometimes you buy a CD, and it turns out to be a gigantic letdown (*cough* Metallica's St. Anger *cough*).

So I asked the clerk there, who reeked of something musty smelling, which as an adult I now know is the reek of Cannabis. Dude was basically Otto from the Simpsons and talked like him, too.

So asked the dude, "I haven't listened to these guys, is this a good album to get into them?"

The clerk, all enthusiastically, said, "Of course, little dude! Iron Maiden rules!"

So I put down $20, popped it into my Sony Walkman, and the song "Aces High" came roaring out of my headphones in a melodic, heavy, aggressive, and harmonized fashion.

I hadn't yet heard anything this heavy, this aggressive, this melodic, and those two guitar solos! I hadn't heard playing like that yet, and the type of Powerslave CD I had was one where you'd pop it into a computer, and you'd get to watch the music videos for the singles, of which "Aces High" was one.

That second line Dave Murray played was so fast and aggressive, that I instantly had to rethink how I was playing guitar. I only spiraled further down the rabbit hole from there, with my next purchase being Iron Maiden's album The Number of the Beast.

The next 5 years was me soaking up as much metal music and metal guitar as I could. The fast, aggressive playing, the sick shred, and the attitude, all culminating into me basically exploring almost every metal genre there was, and how I could play it on the guitar.

This, mind you, was interspersed with me learning as much as I could about music theory, as well as keeping on top of my schoolwork.

It basically added up to about 5-7 hours of practice every day.

Through this period, I learned about Randy Rhoads, Marty Friedman, Steve Vai, Paul Gilbert, Jeff Loomis, Yngwie Malmsteen, Jason Becker, Tony MacAlpine, Andy LaRoque, and Chuck Schuldiner, all of whom are guitar players that I adore, and basically absorbed every lesson I could find on YouTube that they had, with the most fruitful being Yngwie Malmsteen and Paul Gilbert, who both showed me licks and exercises that I still use in my practice routines to this day.

Truth be told, my obsession with guitar has never stopped, and now the wealth of knowledge and experience I have with the instrument is pretty extensive.

That's part of the reason I write so many music focused blogs, because my mind doesn't forget musical information, ever, and I love to share the information that I've gained and accrued over many years of being excessively obsessed with guitar and making music with it.

Hope you guys liked this story!

Cheers!

:D

Last edited:

ArchAngel217

Spoonman, come together with your hands, save meee
In your head, in your head. Zombie zombie zombie.
One of my huge hobbies is writing! I even thought I would do a career in that, at one point. The reason for that is really how I was raised. English is my dad's second language and my mom is a linguist, and they always raised me to be very wordy. I always enjoyed ELA class more than anything and at some point in around the fourth grade, I started writing my own stories.
When I was really young I always used to draw my family members. They were circles with smiley faces, of course, but it always awakened a desire for art inside of me. I'm mainly self-taught and I learned from copying the art styles of some of my favorite series, whether they be games or mangas.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom