• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

General Mafia Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jamie

Till the roof comes off, till the lights go out...
trans-pan-demi-ethno-christian-math-autis-genderfluid-cheesecake
There's 3 games going on at the moment and one of them has 25 players. I'm sure we could handle 2 full sized games and 1 smaller, open format game.

DekuNut

I play my drum for you
Has anyone ever played a game with less than 10 players? How did it turn out?
I ran an 8-player (mostly) beginners game on another site. It went well, but was also the first mafia game on the site. It ended up lasting two and a half small games beofore fading into obscurity.

Johnny Sooshi

Just a sleepy guy
Tbh I'm really sorry about the marathon thing. I'm not sure organizing a marathon is such a good idea. I think if we changed this idea to support a game that lasts a week, that might not be a bad idea though.

Pen

The game is on!
Tbh I'm really sorry about the marathon thing. I'm not sure organizing a marathon is such a good idea. I think if we changed this idea to support a game that lasts a week, that might not be a bad idea though.

I'm sorry, but I don't think that would work very well. For a game that lasts about a week, each day would have to be approximately the length of an IRL day, and each night about the real length of a night. I don't really think a game that functions like this will be playable in a good way since there are people all over the world playing in these games, living in completely different time zones. For example, for one player one of the day/night periods might take place while he/she is asleep and busy in school, thus not allowing this particular player to contribute at all on that game day, or completely hindering the player from sending in his/her night action that night.

I'm actually still very much up for a Mafia game that is played entirely in one day. That way the game can take place during the weekend on a Saturday or a Sunday when most of us are free, and we can work out a time that is at least functional for people in different time zones. I'm sorry if I'm pushing the time zone issue so hard here, but I know that I would risk being one of the users who would have to suffer for it due to me not living on the North American continent. ^^

Johnny Sooshi

Just a sleepy guy
I'm sorry, but I don't think that would work very well. For a game that lasts about a week, each day would have to be approximately the length of an IRL day, and each night about the real length of a night. I don't really think a game that functions like this will be playable in a good way since there are people all over the world playing in these games, living in completely different time zones. For example, for one player one of the day/night periods might take place while he/she is asleep and busy in school, thus not allowing this particular player to contribute at all on that game day, or completely hindering the player from sending in his/her night action that night.

I'm actually still very much up for a Mafia game that is played entirely in one day. That way the game can take place during the weekend on a Saturday or a Sunday when most of us are free, and we can work out a time that is at least functional for people in different time zones. I'm sorry if I'm pushing the time zone issue so hard here, but I know that I would risk being one of the users who would have to suffer for it due to me not living on the North American continent. ^^

I understand the timezone thing so I guess you have a point there. I think then we need to have someone host the game (I'll still host one if you guys want me to) and just set it up a month in advance. My issue with hosting was that I couldn't get enough players each time I asked around.

Also, perhaps instead of a one week game, and in addition to small marathons, maybe a two week game?

Libk

Spaceballs: The Mafia Player
I think a game with 24 hour day periods and then with 24 hour night periods might do ok. And you could have a rule where if all night actions get in before the 24 hours, night ends early.

Johnny Sooshi

Just a sleepy guy
I think a game with 24 hour day periods and then with 24 hour night periods might do ok. And you could have a rule where if all night actions get in before the 24 hours, night ends early.

This fits better into the idea of two weeks since most small games shouldn't really have more than 7 days at most. And I agree, if the actions are done before 24 hours are up (either majority reached during the day or all night actions submitted at night) the mod will need to do everything in their power to post the scene for the day/night.

Eduarda

Srishti is annie is eduarda right?
I know this is off topic, but should we have a thread which is dedicated for mods asking for replacements, there. Anyone who thinks they can handle another game can pop by and check that thread. Replacements are hard to find sometimes, and may get annoying if you go to people personally to ask, and they are busy.

Pen

The game is on!
I know this is off topic, but should we have a thread which is dedicated for mods asking for replacements, there. Anyone who thinks they can handle another game can pop by and check that thread. Replacements are hard to find sometimes, and may get annoying if you go to people personally to ask, and they are busy.

I think this is a splendid idea! :nod:

DekuNut

I play my drum for you
Should we put up a list somewhere of completed games, so mods looking for themes won't accidentally use one that's been used before? It could go with the mod queue (that's on David) or its own thread. If you guys want a separate thread then I'd be okay with running it, but I felt like I should bring it up here

Johnny Sooshi

Just a sleepy guy
Should we put up a list somewhere of completed games, so mods looking for themes won't accidentally use one that's been used before? It could go with the mod queue (that's on David) or its own thread. If you guys want a separate thread then I'd be okay with running it, but I felt like I should bring it up here

I'd say it should be in the Mod Queue Thread. Keeps the themes together better. It should probably be set up with the name, date it was hosted, name of the mod(s) who hosted it, and a link to the thread (this not so much for knowing if a theme has been used, but I think it would be helpful if a player needs reference to another game for any particular reason.

Also, I will say, I don't think reusing a theme from older games is a problem either. The first mafia game here was a Zelda theme and those have been done a couple times. The mod should have the descension of setting up a theme, but this does sound like a good idea to at least help them determine if that theme is too current.

Johnny Sooshi

Just a sleepy guy
So guys, I'd like to bring back up the idea of the Marathon game. I think it could happen, even in a day format, but it needs all of its kinks worked out. Any new suggestions on how to do it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom