• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Flying

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zelda_Queen

Hick Hylian
What Do YOU Think About the Possibility of Link Being Able to Fly?

I heard a rumor that Link may be able to fly in Zelda Wii. Do you like this idea? (I personally love it!) Tell your opinion here!!!

I can't wait for the breathtaking shots of the world below possible in this new game!!!

Think about it... The treetops glistening below you while the endless expanse of sky hovers above. truly magical!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Meego

~Dancer in the Dark~
wow, that sounds really cool actually, but will he be able to fly all the time coz that would be boring...:)

I can't really see it happening. It would have to be like Peter Pan or something, and that doesn't really sound much like Zelda (aside from the clothing of the main character, haha :xd: ).

I'd rather have some kind of vehicle or "ride" that allowed Link to fly. But even then... well, to be honest, I don't really like the idea of all-out flying in Zelda. I've talked about it in some other threads I believe. Maybe as an item, but to be able to freely fly over the overworld and such sounds like another game entirely if you ask me. I'm sure it could be executed well and end up being fun, but I'd rather they put that effort into something that feels a little more at home in the series. :sweat:

Raven

Former Hylian Knight
Hmm, that is hilarious! recent games have featured new modes of transportation but I'm not so sure they will ever get around to making Link fly. Hey maybe a glider or even a hot air balloon! Link is more of a hoverboots kinda guy. Not that the idea is a bad one, in fact i totally agree that it would be amazing to view the overworld from a bird's eye view. But Link doesn't need to be able to fly to do this.. although it would be kickin! As long as the new game has some wicked scenery, we should be ok.

i think the possibility of link being able to fly is the possibility of bowser being the final boss in this game.

unless you mean riding an animal that can fly, thats a different story

Tom

Every since Link has a new ability like this one he obtains new items and powers...In ST Link had a Train, so he could teleport to different areas on the map and use it to transport people and items. In PH Link had a boat, with almost the same purposes of his Train in ST.
In TP Link could turn into a wolf and run faster (and he also had his wolf senses etc); Ocarina of Time had the Ocarina, which was used to almost everything, everytime. You could teleport, make it rain, change the flow of time...

If Link ever get to fly, it'll be with the use of a hot air balloon or something else. And I don't like to think this way, actually I wanted more places where Link could simply walk around and do stuff by foot. I miss that.

linkman8

True and Noble
I'd actually like to know where you heard this rumor so we can learn more. To be honest, I can't really see it happening. Having him fly Peter Pan style would just be a little weird if you ask me, and as far as flying with a plane, that would be going too far with technology. Even using a hot air balloon would be kind of lame. I agree with Tom; I miss when we had to run around and do everything on foot. I liked having to traverse the vast Hyrule field in TP on foot or by horse.

The day that Link is able to fly is the day that I stop playing Zelda, I think it would be a disgrace to this great series if they made it so he could fly like Peter Pan. Seriously, it would make the game to god damn easy, boring and even further farfetched than it has been before.

It would also take away any thoughts of Link being a Warrior, I didn't mind him being able to mix Magic and his weapons together but to be able to fly around like he believes in fairies isn't something I ever want to see introduced into this great franchise. I already think that the greatness of Zelda is decining with the two most recent releases from the series being a big disappointment in my opinion, I prefer the harder Zelda games with more realistic graphics (WW being an exception).

If this was to occur via Plane or Hot Air Balloon I'd still stop playing, in my opinion, Steam Train was going to far into the future (come on, by the time most Steam Trains where moving, as far as I know, everyone used a gun). I'd also fear that game would get as boring as WW, PH and ST for the travelling around instead of the other games where you can have more fun with Epona or by moving around on foot...

I hope that in the future the Steam Train is the furtherest that Link will ever have to go otherwise soon Link would be running around amongst mob wars in America trying to not get killed by Johnny Dillenger or Al Capone :dry:...

Xinnamin

Mrs. Austin
Well flight Peter Pan style would be too...odd. It just wouldn't feel right. Flight by airplane is far too modern and would also ruin Zelda's medieval fantasy feel. Flight by hot air balloon or glider? Well I can kinda see that work, but the former would be too slow and the latter wouldn't go too far.

I'm not opposed to Link flying though, just opposed to those methods listed above. After doing Plumm's minigame in TP, I have been playing around with ideas of how that kind of flight would work as transportation in Zelda Wii, and I would love to see Link being able to fly via giant birds or something. I mean, if he can tame a horse (well kinda, you needed to win Epona in OoT and tame her after she went wild in TP), why can't he tame a kargarok or something like that and travel with that. Yeah, flight might take the fun out of exploration, but if the areas flight is allowed are limited and sky travel made exciting by enemies or mountain-side caves or something, it could work really well in my opinion.

Well flight Peter Pan style would be too...odd. It just wouldn't feel right. Flight by airplane is far too modern and would also ruin Zelda's medieval fantasy feel. Flight by hot air balloon or glider? Well I can kinda see that work, but the former would be too slow and the latter wouldn't go too far.

I'm not opposed to Link flying though, just opposed to those methods listed above. After doing Plumm's minigame in TP, I have been playing around with ideas of how that kind of flight would work as transportation in Zelda Wii, and I would love to see Link being able to fly via giant birds or something. I mean, if he can tame a horse (well kinda, you needed to win Epona in OoT and tame her after she went wild in TP), why can't he tame a kargarok or something like that and travel with that. Yeah, flight might take the fun out of exploration, but if the areas flight is allowed are limited and sky travel made exciting by enemies or mountain-side caves or something, it could work really well in my opinion.

Not wanting to go off topic too much, He tames Epona in OoT because Link played a song to her which she has had a strong link to long before Link tames her for himself, he just manipulates Malon's ability to tame her and use it for his quest (although manipulate isn't really the right word). So with OoT Epona's reason down, TP Epona had already been tamed by Link way back in the game, not after she goes mad in Kakariko. He just uses his Link with her and his ranching Skills to calm her down again, after all, she's just been surprised by some beings she's never seen before.

A glider could work for a Mini game, much like the one in TP with Plumm but off the top of a cliff or mountain. Realistically that is the only way I want to see Link airbourne (I don't really class Flying as being the same as Gliding, after all, Gliding is just using air particles to slow down your drop).

Y2K3

Lushier than Mercy!
I'm going to have to go ahead and say no. The closest thing I would want to flying would be the Deku Leaf from WW. While I don't think it would 'ruin the series', I still don't think it would be a good thing. The only way I'd want any sort of 'flight' would be if the mode were something Zelda-ish and only if it was to a certain area of the game. I wouldn't want to have it as a major thing - like Epona or the Train. I mean, going to the desert in TP wasn't really Zelda-ish in my opinion, and although it wasn't really flying, it was still airborne. Something like Kaepora Gaebora, I think, would be decent a couple of times.

Xinnamin

Mrs. Austin
Not wanting to go off topic too much, He tames Epona in OoT because Link played a song to her which she has had a strong link to long before Link tames her for himself, he just manipulates Malon's ability to tame her and use it for his quest (although manipulate isn't really the right word). So with OoT Epona's reason down, TP Epona had already been tamed by Link way back in the game, not after she goes mad in Kakariko. He just uses his Link with her and his ranching Skills to calm her down again, after all, she's just been surprised by some beings she's never seen before.

A glider could work for a Mini game, much like the one in TP with Plumm but off the top of a cliff or mountain. Realistically that is the only way I want to see Link airbourne (I don't really class Flying as being the same as Gliding, after all, Gliding is just using air particles to slow down your drop).
I said "well kinda" since I acknowledged the fact that those were not proper tamings. The point was that it's not too farfetched to see Link get control of a giant bird, which is something I feel has great potential for a flight mechanism. We already have something similar to a glider minigame (TP's Flight by Fowl is about that kind of feel since flying with cuccoos is similar to slow gliding) and a glider-like items in the Roc's Cape and Deku Leaf, so why can't we get full fledged flight? I think it's a logical next step (without getting too over the top with technology).

Flute Boy

ganon slayer
it would only work as an equipt item, that had to have some kind of limit, maby some kind of magic bar or power bar for the specific item that would recharge over time... and the higher you go, the quiker it depletes.... i had a theory of it being a new kind of tunic... but it seems like there would be to much work to put into 1 item... the easiest way to animate it would be kind of like the hover boots or a longer, slower decline of flying with a cuccu

Din Akera

Sniper
I think this would take away from the "HOW DO I GET UP THERE!!!" component of the game that I experience and love so much. If it was a once in awhile thing with a creature fo some description, like the ride up the river on the bird's back form TP, that might be cool. But if you could just jump off a cliff and fly, I don't think I'd like that very much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom