• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Majora's Mask Favorite Region in MM

What's your favorite region?

• Woodfall

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Snowhead

• Great Bay

• Ikana

• All of Them!

• None of them

• Total voters

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
As some of you may know, I happen to host a few gameplay tourneys for ZD. Really obscure but they're over at this corner: http://zeldadungeon.net/forum/f117/zelda-gameplay-competition-round-3-a-43953.html

Anyway, I was playing on my MM file and I realized that I didn't beat Snowhead Temple. So, I just visited the surrounding Moutain Village and took in the snowlike setting. And I realized somehow that my favorite region is Ikana.

What's your favorite region in MM? why? Is there any story you'd like to tell?

Big Octo

=^)
My favorite region would have to be the Great Bay.

Firstly, I like the design and aesthetics of the region. I always enjoy an ocean setting as well as seeing what the designers do with it. The choice of colors and textures worked well for this area in my case. From sandy beaches to rough reefs of coral, everything looked in place. In my opinion, the designers nailed both the underwater environments and areas on the shore.

I'd also like to mention what I am able to do in this area. What comes to mind first is swimming as a Zora. I loved the mechanics that came along with the Zora tranformation, and the Great Bay is the perfect place to test them out. The open expanse of water worked very well with me. Also, the Pirate Base minidungeon was fun for me as well. I liked the theming of the area as well as some of the stealth elemnts. I felt that they incorporated both the use of the Zora transformation and normal Link well. Finally, I found much enjoyment in the Beaver Brothers mini-game because, as I mentioned before, I loved the swimming, and putting my skills to the test was exhilarating.

Finally, I will mention the atmosphere this area brings. To me, there's always been something chilling about an open ocean area in a video game. I have never had this feeling in real life before, and I'm not sure why this only applies to games. Perhaps it's because the ocean could be potentially full of hideous enemies. This notion came true in the Great Bay, what with the Sea Snakes at Pinnacle Rock and all. Furthermore, there were the Like-Likes that thrived beneath the waves, coming to the shore at night. I always thought that to be a nice attention to detail, and a somewhat frightening one at that. Beyond the enemies of the deep, there's also the fact that the water is murky, so the player cannot venture out too far. Perhaps I should be glad that I'm warped back when I venture out too far, as I always get a sense of paranoia and slight fear when I'm surrounded in fog, or, in this case, the murky water.

I would like to mention that this feeling was carried to the Wind Waker for me. As the overworld of the game was the open ocean, I had that same sense of fear that something hideous and grand would come from the depths and bring me to my doom... Of course, my mightmares came true with things like Seahats, Gyorgs, and, of course, the Big Octo.

I can't wait to visit the Great Bay again in my next playthrough of Majora's Mask. :yes:

Salem

SICK
I don't have one. All of the regions were perfect. I can't pick one

The southern swamp, I liked it, it was spooky, reminds me of cokeo-cola for some reason, was it made south to match the swamp area in alttp?

Snowhead, finally a fully snow region in Zelda, also it has a little wooden house, that's cute.

Great bay, Big octo sums it up nicely

Ikana Canyon is just fantastic, it has barely explained ruins, that's usually a plus for me.

Also, all these regions had all around great music. non of it was peaceful or anything which is kinda odd in some way.

Last edited:

CynicalSquid

Swag Master General
I agree with Sroa, all the regions are perfect in their own way so it's hard to choose one.

Southern Swamp - It was a little spooky and eerie with the poisonous water. It also has some of my favorite music from the Zelda franchise.

Snowhead - I've always loved Goron inhabited environments but I love this one the most because it's unique. It's not an active volcano, it's a snowy mountain region.

Great Bay - I loved the overall design of this area and swimming was fun. Big Octo explains it wonderfully.

Ikana Canyon - Very eerie ruins with a music box in the middle of it. :P A lot of it is left unexplained so it makes it more interesting.

Last edited:

Salem

SICK
I agree with Sroa, all the reasons are perfect in there own way so it's hard to choose one.
I know right?:)

Ikana Canyon - Very eerie ruins with a music box in the middle of it. :P A lot of it is left unexplained so it makes it more interesting.
Yeah, I forgot about that, it either makes the place eerier or goofier... or both a at the same time. Also, same music from Super Mario 64.

Beauts

Rock and roll will never die
It would have to be a toss-up between the swamp and ikana regions. I think both have unique atmospheres and have never really been 'done' in a Zelda game before or since.

CynicalSquid

Swag Master General
I know right?:)
Regions*...

This is why I don't make post with my phone
Yeah, I forgot about that, it either makes the place eerier or goofier... or both a at the same time. Also, same music from Super Mario 64.
I've just always wondered why there is a family living in a music box that plays SM64 music in the middle of an abandoned valley.

Zorth

#Scoundrel
Great Bay Coast, have always loved beaches and tropical places so was a pretty clear choice. I also happen to like this portion of the game, the skulltula house, the pirates, the Zora crisis, the great bay dungeon, the Zora mask gameplay and the beaver challenges. Everything was just amazing about this region to me. :yes:

Salem

SICK
Regions*...

This is why I don't make post with my phone
Try writing long debate posts with your phone;). Specially with an iPhone(or any touchscreen one)...I recently got one, it's my first touchscreen phone and I got internet with it so why not use it?:rolleyes:

I'm still getting used to yet..... my fingers.....

I've just always wondered why there is a family living in a music box that plays SM64 music in the middle of an abandoned valley.
One of the many mysteries of Majora's Mask.

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
Definitely would be the Great Bay for me.

Each region in Majora's Mask all have their merits and each areindividually great. They are vast areas - brimmed with content, side quests, characters, mini-games and all feature a unique landscape. I think that would be my favourite feature about the Region's in MM, they all put a unique twist on a typical location, the forest -- now a swamp, the typical death mountain area that the Gorons inhabit -- now a snowy mountain, the typical lake -- now a tropical beach and finally the standard desert theme is now a canyon.

So what makes the Great Bay stand out in particular? Well first of all, I like the scale of the area, you have this seemingly endless ocean, which isn't all open for exploration, but it creates that illusion. You also have many side areas, the Gerudo Fortress, Waterfall Rapids, Zora Cape etc. So there is much to explore and do here and I think the content and size would be enough of a justification for me to choose this area alone.

Generally though it's just a nice setting in which to be in. It's pleasant to have somewhat of a lighter backdrop in a relatively "dark" game, I'll get into the irony in that statement later on, but the setting is perfect in my opinion. Even though the visuals may be somewhat dated, they still look great in this area. The twist on the typical lake was definitely fresh in my opinion, I love the idea that Majora's Mask had more tropical locations, so to say, and this was the perfect example of this.

Now contrary to many opinions, stating Ikana to being the scariest location or the most fearful, I would disagree and say the Great Bay is. Slightly contradictory to my earlier statement and I know, and at first glance one my view this area as one of the "lighter" themed locations in Zelda. Fact is, that this adds to the slightly disturbing reality of the Great Bay itself. It is very much a tropical paradise, but it's empty. You enter and you are greeted with that familiar theme (music track), but this one has the best twist in my opinion -- I'm going to admit I was quite creeped out. You have this so called "nice" location, which should be seen as a haven but yet it's got this darkish theme which straight away made the area feel somewhat odd.

Even though it looks relatively unharmed by the Skull Kid's antics, there are actually an array of problems -- some of the worst in the game. The sheer emptiness would be enough to make some people wary, but then we spot a distant figure. Going out to sea we spot Mikau -- a member of the Indigo-Go's (a famous Zora band). There was something slightly disturbing about watching him laying helplessly in the waters of the bay, I mean he's a Zora, he should thrive in such places. Then we drag him to shore and witness his death first hand. This death was slightly more shocking than the rest -- we got to witness this one first hand and I felt somewhat odd that this was in a Zelda game and it spurred me on to find out and fix what's wrong.

Overall this Region, like it's counterparts, was vast, filled with content and featured a unique landscape that differed from the Zelda standard. What sets it apart though, is the landscape itself, that sense of scope and granduar, the feeling of being of free in waters. Going to admit, even though the Zora controls were slightly annoying at times, it was fun to traverse the waters -- it's so hard to get that feeling of freedom in a Zelda game. Ironically though the landscape, for all of its nice themes, is actually one of the darkest in my opinion. A bay suffering from overly hot weather, murky waters making even the Zoras struggle to navigate their way round, then you have the conflict between the Gerudos and the Zoras and the struggle of Lulu. A truly great area and one of my favorite settings in Zelda period.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Update guys!
still eating that apple I added a poll! :)

Anyway my favorite region is definitely Ikana.

Mido

Version 1
I never played too much of MM, but from what I've witnessed, my favorite area has to be Ikana.

I've always been fascinated with mysterious settings that are abundant with intrigue. Take OOT's Shadow Temple/Bottom of the Well mix, it was scary, intriguing, and it portrayed the "Darker Side" of the Royal Family well!

I feel Ikana does the same for MM and Termina's History. The area itself is a bit eerie, given it also has a graveyard! :yes: Anyway, the area was a zone for sidequests, like the Anju/Kafei quest and the "Sharp" quest. Not only did Ikana have an eerie environment, it happened to have a well-suited dungeon, too! Also, given that Ikana was a key component in Termina's shrouded history, it takes some action to help portray that history, similar to the example above.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom