• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Favorite Pseudoscience

This is something of a counterpart to the "favorite science" thread, but obviously for discussing pseudoscience instead of actual science.

Pseudoscience is essentially anything that claims to be science, to use scientific methods, but doesn't actually do so. Usually, pseudoscience is characterized by assuming the conclusion, fitting evidence to the initial assumption, etc. Essentially the inverse of real science. However, looking at pseudosciences can be instructive, as it shows us how even something initially borne out of rational thought can devolve into baseless assertions and selective acceptance of evidence.

For this reason, and also because it can be pretty entertaining, I find a variety of pseudoscience interesting. Some of my personal favorites are Cellular Cosmogony, various Ufology/cosmic/paranormal related events (e.g., Tunguska) and torsion fields/hyperdimensional physics (see Richard Hoagland, a source of infinite pseudoscience and conspiracy related entertainment).

Batman

Not all those who wander are lost...
One of my favorites is homeopathy. It's just hilarious.

dilution.png

^ xkcd

Curmudgeon

default setting: sarcastic prick
Does alchemy count? I still harbor hopes of transmuting cheetos into uranium.

Big Octo

=^)
I agree with Batman. Homeopathy is laughable at best, and it's always a thrill to hear someone explain the alleged benefits of alternative medicine. You know what they call alternative medicine that works? Medicine.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
One of my favorite pseudosciences is of course economy. And not for the sake of it being a pseudoscience.

Jamie

Till the roof comes off, till the lights go out...
trans-pan-demi-ethno-christian-math-autis-genderfluid-cheesecake
Evolutionary Biology

What age did you guys grow out of atheism?

Shadsie

Sage of Tales
I really, really want people to someday find a Bigfoot. I don't exactly believe in Bigfoot, but I think it's cool that people are looking, even though other people call them idiots, because if someone actually found one, that would just be kind of neat.

Does alchemy count? I still harbor hopes of transmuting cheetos into uranium.

if you ever figure that out let us know. XD

I love stuff related to the supernatural, like ghosts and cryptozoology.

One of my favorites is homeopathy

I always thought Homeopathy was the use of natural cures from plants and stuff which is what our ancestors used before we could drive down to our local Walgreens? Though I could be wrong

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom