• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Zelda Art Fan Game Engine in Flash

• Thread starter HylianGoombario
  • Start date
H

HylianGoombario

This is very very early on so there's not a whole lot to show for it, but I've worked hard so far.

A Zelda game engine I'm working on in Flash. (Made in Flash simply because it's the program I learned to make games in.) The engine will end up being modeled after LttP. At the moment it's simple enough that it might even seem like an original LoZ engine. Here's what I have so far:

- Grid style movement (character moves in 16-pixel increments)
- Collisions (as far as I know, the character interacts with walls and objects with no problems whatsoever!! Please correct me if you notice glitches)
- Very very basic HUD (two hearts. I'll work on more advanced HUD later on)
- One working enemy (an octorok who doesn't move around, but just continually shoots rocks until you defeat him by hitting him twice)
- A tile mapping engine. I have a tool where I design the levels, then it outputs a code and I put that code in the game and it automatically maps the levels for me
- A camera that follows the hero to the end of the map

As for graphics, they're the last thing I worry about. My game engines usually look like a couple boxes moving around, and no exception here. Later I'll add sprites but expect that to be later into the development process.

It's flash, so you can play it online instead of having to download it. Keep in mind, it's not great-looking at this point, but it works. I've come up with a very random level design here to mess around in to test collisions and the camera.

Arrow keys to move around. Space to use sword.

Play link:
http://www.swfcabin.com/open/1378106946

H

HylianGoombario

UPDATE #1

First Update.

Some new stuff added:

- I added sprites to make it better to look at during development
- Added a navigable menu system and a save system (though the save system is not well-implemented yet)
- Added several new features on the inside to make the engine easier to work with
- Added a shield. It's not perfect but it works.
- Octoroks now rotate and shoot rocks in four directions

How the menu works:
There will be a "title" screen. Press Enter to continue. Then, there will be a name entry screen (this will only show up the first time you play this demo). Enter a name and press Enter to continue. Then, there will be a menu where you use the Up and Down arrow keys to select Play, Options, or Credits. Options and credits just have a small amount of text and there's no way out of those pages yet so if you select them be prepared to refresh the page. Select Play the Game to go on into the game.

Play it here:
http://www.swfcabin.com/open/1378176662

Controls:
Enter: Start/Select
Arrow Keys: Move Link, Navigate Menu
Space: Attack with Sword

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom