• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Ever Wonder Why Link's Hat Never Falls Off?

Ever thought about it? You can fall off that one narrow bridge and fall three hundred feet to the bridge below in the Fire Temple. You can go sailing with the wind and rain against you. You can ride Epona at full speed through Hyrule Field. A Darknut can send you reeling across a room and make you thud into a wall. You can go underwater. You can get pushed around by wind and air.

Yet his hat never comes off.

I just thought I'd like to point out that Link's Hat apparently becomes an extension of his head or something.

NOTE: I am not saying I want this level of graphical quality to be present. I just wanted to point something interesting out.

Last edited:

Ghosi

Schmetterling
I just think of one thing; super glue. :P

Just kidding. Maybe it is permanently stuck on him, and only he can take it off?

Well, first of all, it's a video game. It doesn't really have to make much sense. Take a look at these, and see if you've ever complained about the lack of sense.

21defz5.png

and
29x7n01.png

and
Wind Waker Spoiler
11jp3t4.png
Heck, why is it when you obtain an item, Link holds it over his head and it floats while rotating. And everything in the background freezes?

Answer: Nintendo is just too lazy to properly animate things that should actually happen. In this case, they didn't 'feel like' animating Link's hat flying off his head every time he is sent flying across a room. Too much work. :nod:

ApcolypticMufin

Fan of Zelda & Bioshock!
You forgot to bring up the fact that every time he uses the iron boots on the magnetic ceiling in the goron mines in TP, his hat doesn't even hang down...

lol, I has just read the title and I was going to post the awkward zombie comic, but it was already done, oh well xD

what would happen if link hat could fall in the game? xD

dadude1200

hero of...uh... somthing.
well its obvious.
a wizard did it.
either that or some little holigan put glue on it as a joke.
or star fox did it:lol:

Yeah, I know this level of graphical quality isn't here yet, and it would be annoying if Link's Hat was constantly coming off. I just made this thread to see if anyone else had wondered the same thing. Just for fun.

Because it simply doesn't need to. What would be the use in having his hat fall off, then have to run and get it every time? Or much worse, due to adding additional coding for something that wouldn't be necessary, have it fall off every time it "should" and simply re-spawn moments later. Its just irrelevant to gameplay to have his hat fall off.

Look at Mario. There have been tons of times where his hat could have fallen off as well but didn't. In fact, in Super Mario 64, his hat did fall off sometimes, particularly whenever the big snowman blew you off the side of the mountain. Without his hat, Mario became more susceptible to damage, which sucked and really wasn't something that was needed. Subsequent Mario titles released did not continue the tradition of Mario losing his hat. Apparently, Nintendo realized that it wasn't that good of an idea in the first place.

Djinn

and Tonic
well its obvious.
a wizard did it.

Actually this is the correct answer.

The original green hat was magically created by the same sorcerer that made Vaati's magic hat. It might have some sort of magical ability to remain on Link's head even when underwater, upside down, on fire, etc.
001gycx.jpg

002rrz.jpg

How any other Link ever got their hands on it, that is for other people to decide.

Linknerd09

Luigi Fan
Sometimes we will see Link without his hat. Pretty much all the time we won't. I guess we don't see Link without his hat is bcuz Shigeru Miyamoto didn't want to have problems drawing Link's hair like he has with Mario. He said he added a hat to Mario so that he wouldn't have to worry drawing the hair all the time. But I guess he did the same with Link. Link's hair can be difficult to draw. That's my guess for why we don't see Link without his hat off during gameplay.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom