• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breath of the Wild Embrace the Darkness

Sitting today, avoiding working on my thesis, I realized that I have a deeply seated hope that BotW will embrace the darker side of the Zelda Universe.

My favorite title in the series is Majora's Mask; I love how that installment was notably darker and harsher than Ocarina of Time. Looking back at Skyward Sword, which to me is, in my opinion, one of the worst Zelda titles to date (fight me), it was unnecessarily upbeat and lighthearted. I hope that in focusing on the Sheikah, the next installment will embrace the darker side.

I would love to explore the history of the Shiekah and I think it could lend itself very well to a darker story.

Thoughts?

Sheika are just Demise's loyal followers that are trying to master plan the ultimate return of their dark lord.

Just was the darkest thing I could think of lol. They were just waiting for the royal family to give them the ok to set up their Guardian machines with their secret technology which is the ultimate goal. Gain the trust of the royals and then after centuries, stab everyone in the back.

Hyrule is in ruins, the Sheikah are dark and mysterious, Calamity Ganon looks just plain demonic, and the guardians went on a rampage killing thousands...

Yep, this is definitely gonna be one of the darker Zelda games! ;)

Sitting today, avoiding working on my thesis, I realized that I have a deeply seated hope that BotW will embrace the darker side of the Zelda Universe.

My favorite title in the series is Majora's Mask; I love how that installment was notably darker and harsher than Ocarina of Time. Looking back at Skyward Sword, which to me is, in my opinion, one of the worst Zelda titles to date (fight me), it was unnecessarily upbeat and lighthearted. I hope that in focusing on the Sheikah, the next installment will embrace the darker side.

I would love to explore the history of the Shiekah and I think it could lend itself very well to a darker story.

Thoughts?

I think BoTW is going to be a lot more like Wind Waker in narrative and tone.

We have a world that has undergone a massive change and had a dramatic effect on the people living in that world. Those living in that land are existing in the shadow of great losses; their way of life, the land they used to know... all very much like Wind Waker.

Despite what Wind Waker looked like it was still one of the most depressing and emotionally sophisticated Zelda titles.

By the looks of it BotW looks like it'll have a lot of similar story elements, so while it may not be overly dark, i think events that may go down (and those that have happened already) will still have a harsh edge of loss and hopelessness, maybe not as crushing as MM but perhaps very much like Wind Waker in terms of emotion.

Last edited:
Just was the darkest thing I could think of lol. They were just waiting for the royal family to give them the ok to set up their Guardian machines with their secret technology which is the ultimate goal. Gain the trust of the royals and then after centuries, stab everyone in the back.
Ok this is way too awesome to not be true

Tibari

Rinkuji
Hyrule's met with a terrible fate, hasn't it?
While the setup is dark, with Calamity Ganon, ruins etc, this is a real contrast with the world's colorfulness.
What if Link was dead before being resurected 100 years later, and trauma because of that? "Because I lost, I was unable to save the world, and now I have to see the consequences of my own death" that's a pretty dark feeling...

I love the darkness in the games, but I prefer it being light and happy. Wind Waker and Skyward Sword had fantastic tones and atmospheres.

I'd hate to be on the fence but I would like a mix of both, dark moments, a lighthearted fun moments. Put me through the emotional roller coaster!!!!!!

Aku

I think this game might be quite dark. Firstly, they seem to be going for a more 'mature' crowd (we have yet to see a single kiddy shown playing this game or any other on any of the teaser advertisements) and I doubt they want to alienate these older people by showing less then serious stuff.

Secondly, Hyrule has been devastated, and that creature circling the castle has been expressly said to have killed countless innocents (when it was loose.)

Thirdly, this thing is directly intending to end the world. Not conquer, not wreck a bit, but END. It either wants to destroy all sentient life, make the world into a dead and empty moonscape where life has been scoured out of existence, or dissolve the world itself into dust.

Fourthly, if this is Ganon, this may be a Ganon where all bets are now off. This is Ganon, Destroyer of Worlds. It might be the Gerudo King or it could be a whole new Ganon, but I don't think this is Ganon like we knew him (or now 'it.')

I think BoTW is going to be a lot more like Wind Waker in narrative and tone.

We have a world that has undergone a massive change and had a dramatic effect on the people living in that world. Those living in that land are existing in the shadow of great losses; their way of life, the land they used to know... all very much like Wind Waker.

Despite what Wind Waker looked like it was still one of the most depressing and emotionally sophisticated Zelda titles.

By the looks of it BotW looks like it'll have a lot of similar story elements, so while it may not be overly dark, i think events that may go down (and those that have happened already) will still have a harsh edge of loss and hopelessness, maybe not as crushing as MM but perhaps very much like Wind Waker in terms of emotion.

That would be a bit of encouraging news if your theory is close to what Nintendo has in mind.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
I dont think it will be as dark and depressing as as Majora's Mask. We dont have much to go on story wise at all but looking at the artistic style of the game and the tone it seems to convey I would imagine it to be more akin to Wind Waker in tone.

That being said, it may be like OOT which appears to be more lighthearted but actually contains some of the series darkest moments.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom