• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Do you remember the time before Hyrule Historia?

Spacefiller

waiting for life to start
So, I recently picked up a copy of Hyrule Historia and have been reviewing the timeline. [I borrowed a fiend's copy back in 2012 but remember being put off by the official timeline.]

I remember before this when the timeline was the subject of much debate, and I also vaguely remember some Nintendo officials saying there was not an official timeline...so I was surprised when the Hyrule Historia had a timeline.

Does anyone remember this era? Did you have your own timeline theory? How much did it match the "official"? Has there been any debate or issue raised about the "official" timeline?

Anyone think the idea of a "timeline" to be ridiculous considering the actual evolution of the game? I definitely used to fall into that category but not so much anymore.

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
I did have a timeline theory but it didn't match to the Official one i got the positions of WW and TP mixed up and i always thought the Oracle games happened earlier.

I always thought there was a timeline of sorts but it was more along the lines of "It's a Legend these events could have been distorted over the ages" But i am glad now there is an official timeline it finally killed off all the petty threads about timelines and whose was more accurate.... It was due to those that i eventually quit this place.

Moonstone

embrace the brand new day
I had some timeline theories of my own growing up, though it didn't involve any time splits. Before Hyrule Historia came out, I never gave much thought to the possibility that there would be alternate timelines caused by Link's time travelling in OoT.

Oh,that was the master timeline?
Wow. My info seems to be outdated.
I thought it was just A Timeline. So that people would be satisfied and not have to keep searching for one.

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
Yeah sure I remember the era before HH... it was a time of much debate. I did have my own timeline theory, I had all the games lined up about right except I had no idea about the third hero fails split, I don't think anyone did. Here was my old theory

(MM-TP-ALttP-FSA-Oracle games-LA-OLoZ)
SS-MC-FS-OoT

(WW-PH-ST)

This was before ALBW. The games in the ( ) are splits off OoT.

Spacefiller

waiting for life to start
I remember thinking that the history of all the games was way too complicated for an official timeline UNLESS they were to split into multiple alternate timelines or dimensions. For some reason back then I never thought Nintendo would do something like that(thought it was just my comic book universe brain making up stuff), therefore I concluded that the idea of a linear timeline was nonsensical. but Nintendo sure showed me.

I do want to say I'm sorry if I brought up a sensitive topic for some, I was just curious as to the thoughts of others.

By the way I would strongly suggest picking up Hyrule Historia, it is friggin BEAUTIFUL! and a steal at 19.63$ on Amazon

Mellow Ezlo

Spoony Bard
Ya, I definitely remember that time. That was the time when people were making crazy theories that made more sense than the official timeline and Nintendo was constantly shutting them down and making people feel like idiots. Only difference nowadays is that Nintendo has a book that can back them up when they call people idiots.

Honestly, the hardcore timeliners will have my head for this, but I prefer the way Zelda Theory is now. Discussing symbolism and character origin stories is much more interesting to me than getting all riled up about which game goes where.

I certainly remember those days, and I'm glad they're gone.

Locke

Hegemon
Site Staff
Yeah I remember it. Good times. @ALIT, there was just as much of that discussion - if not more - before, when the mystery of the timeline provided extra motivation for decoding symbolism, etc. I will admit though that it's nice that theory is no longer dominated by timeline-specific speculation.

As for my timeline, you can find it on my wiki page. It's mostly the same as HH but I form a completely separate third timeline with games from the decline timeline preceded by the FSS. It's sort of a "legend" version of the main "historical" timeline. All the major events line up between the two - the Hero of Men corresponds to SS-Link; FSA corresponds to the Imprisoning War; LttP-Link managed to defeat Ganon, while in "reality" there was no hero and Hyrule was flooded...

Haha, I only thought the games were connected if they made it super obvious they were connected. OoT-MM, WW-PH, ALttP-LA... That sort of thing.

I always did think that SS came later than everything else, and to be honest, I prefer my own headcanon to the official canon.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
So, I recently picked up a copy of Hyrule Historia and have been reviewing the timeline. [I borrowed a fiend's copy back in 2012 but remember being put off by the official timeline.]

I remember before this when the timeline was the subject of much debate, and I also vaguely remember some Nintendo officials saying there was not an official timeline...so I was surprised when the Hyrule Historia had a timeline.

Does anyone remember this era? Did you have your own timeline theory? How much did it match the "official"? Has there been any debate or issue raised about the "official" timeline?

Anyone think the idea of a "timeline" to be ridiculous considering the actual evolution of the game? I definitely used to fall into that category but not so much anymore.

Yeah. I had my own ideas. I was glad when they brought out the official timeline back then, but when you actually think about it there are so many contradictions and that gets to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom