• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breath of the Wild Do you like the music in BOTW?

I personally think that it has the weakest soundtrack in the Zelda series. The only tunes I like are the Hyrule Castle theme and the Zora's domain theme. I have always loved the music in Zelda games and am of the opinion that great music is part of what makes Zelda... Well Zelda. I can play virtually any Zelda game (except Windwaker) and thoroughly enjoy every track. The problem with BOTW's music is it is almost absent in some places and most of the music doesn't sound like traditional Zelda music. A big part of Zelda games is that every area has traditionally had its own theme that matches the vibe of the place and that is sorely lacking in BOTW. Having said all of this, these are just my opinions. What did you think of BOTW's music.

Reactions: Dio

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
I thought it was some of the strongest music in the series. Even if the overworld is mostly ambient, the piano tones you hear in it are pretty. The town themes, particularly Hateno and especially Rito Village, are fantastic. The enemy encounter theme is better than any other enemy encounter theme in the series. The Divine Beast battle themes of Vah Ruta and Vah Naboris, as well as Molduga's battle theme, are very memorable and I absolutely love them. The Hyrule Castle theme and Lost Woods/Labyrinth theme are equally incredible and memorable. Even Kass's accordion music is great. Heck, even the jingle that plays when you recall a memory is beautiful. And don't get me started on the final battle music, that might be my favorite.

I loved what was there, the music conveys what it needs to (though calling some of it music is pushing it).

I wish they'd used more of it. I'd have loved for them to have used the music from the Life in the Ruins trailer while exploring Hyrule field because it woulf have really hammered home the feeling of loss and melancholy...

Oh well.

Still the music was fine for what was there, it just wasnt there much. But i did like nearly everything i heard.

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
I like some tracks, but most of the time it's ambience and it's really grating.

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
I think it's not always a bad thing for music being a bit in the background and not overwhelming. I like the music in the game. It has tracks I like and tracks I don't care for that much. But in general I like the music. When I run into a Talus, the begin tune of the Talus theme is pretty epic. The theme playing when you encounter an enemy (no bosses) reminds me of a 70's or 80's action show.

misskitten

Hello Sweetie!
I really enjoy the music in BotW. Yes, it's a departure from the norm, but it fits what the whole game was trying to do. The towns and villages has their themes, there are enemy themes, creature themes, etc, but a lot of it is just nature, and it just works better for nature to have ambiance instead of a theme. But even then, if you ride a horse long enough, even there you get a theme. I think they did a good job incorporating music into this game, by letting it have its place, and not just dominate everything.

It's not better or worse than the other games, it's just different. It is what the game it was made for needed it to be. It felt organic to me.

I am going to say no. But I don't hate it either. It's such a minimalist soundtrack that there's not enuogh there to like it or hate it. It fits the situation when it needs to and that's it.

Cartoonmaniac

Biggest Zelda fan this side of the South Pole
I enjoy the music in the game itself, as it fits the theme and I love hearing the piano while looking out at the landscape. However, outside of the game its pretty dull compared to the other Zelda music, and I would not listen to it by itself.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
I personally think that it has the weakest soundtrack in the Zelda series. The only tunes I like are the Hyrule Castle theme and the Zora's domain theme. I have always loved the music in Zelda games and am of the opinion that great music is part of what makes Zelda... Well Zelda. I can play virtually any Zelda game (except Windwaker) and thoroughly enjoy every track. The problem with BOTW's music is it is almost absent in some places and most of the music doesn't sound like traditional Zelda music. A big part of Zelda games is that every area has traditionally had its own theme that matches the vibe of the place and that is sorely lacking in BOTW. Having said all of this, these are just my opinions. What did you think of BOTW's music.

BoTW has got one of the weakest soundtracks in the series. In most other Zelda games nearly all the music is memorable and catchy. In Wind Waker for instance there is always a good tune playing. BoTW's soundtrack for the most part is very subdued and barely present most of the time. A piano tinkling is not good music which is what you listen to for most of the game since you spend most of your time in the overworld. There are some memorable pieces to be sure however they are few and far between.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom