• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Hyrule Warriors Disappointing Calamity

• Thread starter Deleted member 91332
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 91332

First of all, I loved the game, and I really enjoyed the story for what it was. However, I think the state of Hyrule before the Calamity really diminishes the impact of the whole thing. I'm not sure if AoCs pre-Calamity Hyrule is canon to BOTW, but if so that would be pretty disappointing. If we believe AoC, the Calamity only killed like 5 people, and barely even touched the world beyond Hyrule Castle Town. Most non-hylian places we visit look exactly like they do one hundred years after the Calamity, in BOTW. They are not more or less advanced or built, just pretty similar.

What do you guys think?

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
The Great Calamity devastated Hyrule Field and the only Hylian settlements to survive were Hateno and Lurelin. The other races were so far out that they survived it mostly. We do know, though, that they had to fend off Guardian attacks for a while. There are lots of dead ones on the road to Death Mountain, for instance, plus a bunch scattered through Gerudo Canyon and Hebra, and we hear that King Dorephan of Zora's Domain fought off a stray Guardian personally. The devastation is pretty absolute in the heavily populated Hylian areas.

Also, it's worth noting that the Great Calamity AoC shows us is not the same Great Calamity described in BotW, since AoC is an alternate timeline. Events do not match up 1:1. If you played the game, you should know that.

D

Deleted member 91332

I very specifically mentioned the pre-calamity state of the world, as in "before the calamity happened".

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
I very specifically mentioned the pre-calamity state of the world, as in "before the calamity happened".
The existing buildings barely changed much. Hyrule in those 100 years was too busy trying to stay alive to think about innovating and renovation of existing buildings. Also, Zora's Domain specifically is said to have existed in that state for 10,000 years. The artistry of the domain was one enormous sculpture. Not much they can do to change that. Hyrule in general didnt change much after they banished the sheikah tech 10,000 years ago. You can presume that was intentional due to the fear of the tech they had back then, but that's just supposition.

Basically, the towns had no reason to change and the struggling populations were too busy trying to survive the Age of Burning Fields to think "hey maybe let's redesign our buildings" until Bolson Construction came along. That's how long it took for the survivors to get back on their feet. Gerudo Town's design seems consistent too and very culturally rooted, and Rito Village made a point to preserve Revali's Landing and the Flight Range in his memory, so that's more that tells you about preservation. Also, the Sheikah of Kakariko Village purposefully live the way they do, without their tech, the same way they have been since they were banished. They don't change on purpose. So, that's something else to think about.

Last edited:
I'm not sure if AoCs pre-Calamity Hyrule is canon to BOTW, but if so that would be pretty disappointing.
You know, I'm starting to doubt even this. According to BOTW and Creating a Champion:
Link already had the Master Sword before Zelda collected the Champions.
He had it "at least a few years", not just stated in the book but also in in-game diaries like Mipha's. Hyrule already had their Chosen Hero chosen by the Master Sword, that's why Revali was mad when Zelda first told him the plan when recruiting him.
Link not having the Master Sword when Terrako went back in time is a flat-out retcon, and makes no sense story-wise.
This alone brings AOC's "canon-ness" into question.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
You know, I'm starting to doubt even this. According to BOTW and Creating a Champion:
Link already had the Master Sword before Zelda collected the Champions.
He had it "at least a few years", not just stated in the book but also in in-game diaries like Mipha's. Hyrule already had their Chosen Hero chosen by the Master Sword, that's why Revali was mad when Zelda first told him the plan when recruiting him.
Link not having the Master Sword when Terrako went back in time is a flat-out retcon, and makes no sense story-wise.
This alone brings AOC's "canon-ness" into question.
It’s an alternate timeline. You’re right about Link pulling the Master Sword as a kid in BotW, but that was BotW. AoC doesn’t contradict BotW at all because it’s an alternate timeline. Events and backstories aren’t the same.

It’s an alternate timeline. AoC doesn’t contradict BotW at all because it’s an alternate timeline. There’s no questions.
It became an alternate timeline as soon as Terrako entered it, started changing the course of the original events, warning Zelda, the Sheikah, King Rhoam, etc. about the future. He traveled to the original past to save Zelda; Link should've had the Master Sword as he did pre-Calamity in BOTW.
Even in this alternate timeline, Link not having the Master Sword still doesn't add up in regards to the story. Why did Revali get mad when he found out Link was Zelda's knight? She had two other knights following her. Revali must've known Link was destined to be the Hero, despite him not having the Master Sword.

Last edited by a moderator:

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
It became an alternate timeline as soon as Terrako entered it, started changing the course of the original events, warning Zelda, Sheikah, King Rhoam, etc. about the future. He traveled to the original past to save Zelda; Link should've had the Master Sword.
Even in this alternate timeline, Link not having the Master Sword still don't add up. Why did Revali get mad when he found out Link was Zelda's knight? She had two other knights following her. Revali must've known Link was destined to be the Hero, despite him not having the Master Sword.
No, it wasn’t just as soon as Terrako entered it. The game literally tells you that he birthed an entirely new world. Things were different. There were also no monster hordes large enough to go to war in BotW, so the fact that when he arrives and there is such a horde there is already different from BotW’s history. It’s not as simple as just “it splits off from this point”, Terrako created an entirely new and separate history in this alternate timeline.

No, it wasn’t just as soon as Terrako entered it. The game literally tells you that he birthed an entirely new world. Things were different. There were also no monster hordes large enough to go to war in BotW, so the fact that when he arrives and there is such a horde there is already different from BotW’s history. It’s not as simple as just “it splits off from this point”, Terrako created an entirely new and separate history in this alternate timeline.
Oh, I understand your point. You see AOC as a complete AU. That's fair enough, but the time traveling contradicts that. Why would Terrako go back to the past in an alternate time when Link didn't the Master Sword? Wouldn't that lessen his chances to save Zelda? Very arbitrary; why not go back to a time when Zelda had already unlocked her power?
Believe me, I'd like AOC to be a complete AU, like you suggest, but I'm just stating the facts, what's presented in both games, and how the pre-Calamity scenarios contradict eachother.

By the way, thanks for putting my post in spoilers, I'm trying to figure out how to spoiler this one.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
Oh, I understand your point. You see AOC as a complete AU. That's fair enough, but the time traveling contradicts that. Why would Terrako go back to the past in an alternate time when Link didn't the Master Sword? Wouldn't that lessen his chances to save Zelda? Very arbitrary; why not go back to a time when Zelda had already unlocked her power?
Believe me, I'd like AOC to be a complete AU, like you suggest, but I'm just stating the facts, what's presented in both games, and how the pre-Calamity scenarios contradict eachother.
The time travelling and the contradictions are exactly why it's a complete au. Your facts are my facts. They don't add up, hence au. I dunno how to make that clearer.

The time travelling and the contradictions are exactly why it's a complete au. Your facts are my facts. They don't add up, hence au. I dunno how to make that clearer.
*sigh* It's an alternate timeline where the original story is changed. I don't know how to make that clearer. The pre-Terrako events are all the same except for Link not having the Master Sword. That doesn't make sense.
Time travel does not automatically mean contradiction; there's time-traveling in OOT, the Oracle games, etc that further the original story without contradicting the past.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom