• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breath of the Wild and it’s coziness

So in my mind, Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild is an incredibly cozy game - post apocalyptic vibes and all. Although I do wonder if this is something that can be achieved in any post-apocalyptic game (The Last of Us comes to mind) or if it’s specifically something about Botw and its universe. Thoughts?

Ashley the Witch

ZD Champion
So in my mind, Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild is an incredibly cozy game - post apocalyptic vibes and all. Although I do wonder if this is something that can be achieved in any post-apocalyptic game (The Last of Us comes to mind) or if it’s specifically something about Botw and its universe. Thoughts?
Let me see here, Pikmin immediately comes to mind, Kirby (if you count Shiver Star), Splatoon, come to think of it, there's a lot of cozy games with a post-apocalyptic backstory. But Breath of the Wild really is cozy, I tend to find myself just immersing myself completely, taking shelter when it's raining or there's a thunderstorm. And stuff like that. Pikmin has always given me a cozy feel. It's like gardening and surviving at the same time. So, I'd say yeah. It can always be possible, You just have to think about it the right way.

Ashley the Witch

ZD Champion
I reject your premise and further malign it by criticizing botw's insufficient environmental storytelling
Just because it doesn't have environmental story telling, doesn't make it not cozy or non-apocalyptic. Yes, I realized that is a double negative. However, everyone there is struggling to reestablish civilization from a near extermination event. By technicality, wouldn't that make it apocalyptic?

Mikey the Moblin

if I had a nickel for every time I ran out of spac
ZD Champion
Just because it doesn't have environmental story telling, doesn't make it not cozy or non-apocalyptic. Yes, I realized that is a double negative. However, everyone there is struggling to reestablish civilization from a near extermination event. By technicality, wouldn't that make it apocalyptic?
I don't think the world does a good enough job of showing the impact of the calamity. In most parts of hyrule (no seriously like 3/4 at least), it's just a story that geezers tell their ankle biters

I'm not entirely convinced that a "calamity" happened in living memory

Ashley the Witch

ZD Champion
I don't think the world does a good enough job of showing the impact of the calamity. In most parts of hyrule (no seriously like 3/4 at least), it's just a story that geezers tell their ankle biters

I'm not entirely convinced that a "calamity" happened in living memory
If you ask me, 100 years is more than enough, no one in the US remembers what the Civil War was to them, just stories being told, Hyrule doesn't have a great track record of keeping history records. It's safe to assume that It's more of a distant memory, and thinking about it that way. It makes sense for the newer generation to explore outward, and there's a lot of ruins and evidence that the great calamity destroyed a lot of old buildings.

Mikey the Moblin

if I had a nickel for every time I ran out of spac
ZD Champion
If you ask me, 100 years is more than enough, no one in the US remembers what the Civil War was to them, just stories being told, Hyrule doesn't have a great track record of keeping history records. It's safe to assume that It's more of a distant memory, and thinking about it that way. It makes sense for the newer generation to explore outward, and there's a lot of ruins and evidence that the great calamity destroyed a lot of old buildings.
Literally the civil rights movement happened a century after the Civil War. The south is steeped in antebellum attitude. It's impossible to go to any southern city on the east coast without seeing a civil war memorial
People in hyrule were still ALIVE during the calamity, and it's less impactful than the civil war was to people who weren't even alive when it happened lol
Not a great comparison imo
And there's no such thing as "safe" assumptions in anthropology

Ashley the Witch

ZD Champion
Literally the civil rights movement happened a century after the Civil War. The south is steeped in antebellum attitude. It's impossible to go to any southern city on the east coast without seeing a civil war memorial
People in hyrule were still ALIVE during the calamity, and it's less impactful than the civil war was to people who weren't even alive when it happened lol
Not a great comparison imo
And there's no such thing as "safe" assumptions in anthropology
Okay, that's fair. But we're not talking about a war, were talking about a near extinction event, there's no way politics would have argued about such things afterwards. My point in that statement wasn't to bring up the movements afterward. It was to point out that nobody, except for the ones who experienced it realizes just how much of a bloodbath it was to those who experienced it. Once again, Hyrule doesn't have the greatest record keeping, none of the people in power were alive after the Calamity, so there wouldn't be politics in the first place. While the Civil War is known for being the greatest loss of American life on a battlefield, We're only hearing stories from recordkeeping.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom