• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

A Zelda...Movie?Show?Anime?

WindFishTacos

"Look at those sideburns...that's true grit!"
I think a Zelda anime cartoon would be best represent the series and age well. If they ever made a live action movie I would obviously go see it, but I would be nervous that it would fall below expectations like the Mario movie. A anime cartoon perhaps based on the style of the manga would be fantastic.

I'm not a fan of the idea of making Zelda a movie/tv show but if something was made I'd prefer it to be like Pokemon Origins or like the current Pokemon Generations. I think that's the best way to do it causr it highlights the awesome parts in Zelda with focusing to much on find the perfect actors/script/style. Those will still be a big focus but the whole project would have direction.

I'm not keen on a movie/TV show. As much as I love Zelda, the question I have to ask is: What does a movie version of Zelda have to offer that the games don't? I've never been able to come up with a good answer myself. The games are sort of a pastiche of fantasy movies anyway, so I don't think an actual fantasy movie version would have much to say.

(These are my opinions and nothing but my opinions)

I think it'd do better as a cartoon or an anime (which amounts to the same thing, really. In fact, in Japan they're both called the same thing), because:

a) Zelda is a setting that works on the fantastical a lot. Stuff like fairies, spells, wacky items, creatures and monsters, etc. would, most likely be done with CGI and CGI usually has a tendency to look fake when compared to live action footage.

Animation is much more free and fluid.

b) A serial instead of a movie allows for more time and more structured parts. Instead of let's say an 1h30 romp through the entire plot we can have episodes of 30 minutes each with more in-depth look at plot.

Considering that you can't actively explore the region like in a videogame, focusing on plot and having time to show the variety of the land visually would probably work better.

A movie split into parts has the problem that the story need to have a beginning, middle and end. So if you do split something, like say OoT and do a movie one from early beginnings to entering the light realm (and showing delapidated Hyrule as the climax, for instance) there's the chance that it'll bomb / not do well enough for the second part. Not to mention voice actors, directing staff, etc. is more likely to change or get involved in accidents during production times and get into more trouble.

Your average Zelda plotline can easily be divied up in let's say 12~13 30 minute episodes for an anime season.

Due to reasons already mentioned, an original story would probably be a better pick than simply fitting a fan favorite like OoT or ALttP into an anime and calling it a day.

I have no ideas or suggestion on voice actors or artists, although I do think that the music and soundtrack should be made in true Zelda style by the usual people.

Link should probably speak, yes. It's hard to do a protagonist well if they can't speak (or even have an internal monologue voiced by someone) - it's not impossible, but hard.

I personally think it should be focused in adventure. Other than SS no game really cared much about romance - at least not with the main character - and much of the Zelda franchise is exploration. Given we're already losing the interactiveness we had from videogames, changing the focus from adventure to something more peripheral could be detracting.

While darker undertones are fine, it's important to remember Nintendo prides themselves in being a more family style company and catering to a more casual crowd, even more so recently. So it most likely would go for light-hearted - that isn't to say darker should be completely ignored. A dark episode or two is fine and appreciated if used correctly.

As to whether it should exist or not ... I can't really say. It doesn't need to, it's not like there's a huge outcry for that, but I can certainly see how many people could and would appreciate that.

It could also introduce more people to the franchise.

What game should it be modelled after? TP
or Should it be original? Maybe
What direction style should it have?
Who would you like to star in it? Link
Should Link speak? Yes
If a movie, should it be spilt into parts? Yes
Should it be adventure focused, action focused, drama focused, or romance focused? All of the above
Should it have a comedic edge, or dark undertones? Both
Should it even exist at all? Yes

I'd want a zelda anime that had a similar focus as Pokemon Generations. Side stories, focusing on unique characters, you can watch any episode out of context perfectly fine, I think that'd be the best way to handle it.

What game should it be modelled after?

Original concept that is more about adventuring and fighting instead of entirely focusing on an overworld with dungeons, as it would better fit a show format than a game format.

What direction style should it have?

It'd be interesting if it was less about elements like sages and focused on exploring things like forests and islands where Link would have to find an item that would help him defeat a powerful main antagonist that he would battle against the end.

Who would you like to star in it?

Was kind of thinking of an anime, but for a voice actor I think maybe Takashi Ohara. Exclusively for the grunts, of course.

Should Link speak?

Nope, it should be a running gag in the entire thing. Somebody asks Link's name, and shows them that he has it emblazoned on the back of his shield like in Link's Awakening.

If a movie, should it be spilt into parts?

Preferably not.. It should have a movie that could later span into a television series like how The Avengers led into Agents of Shield.

Should it be adventure focused, action focused, drama focused, or romance focused?

Primarily adventure and action, with romance and drama directly following it.

Should it have a comedic edge, or dark undertones?

Both.

Should it even exist at all?

If it was done by people who
A.) would listen to the fanbase for ideas of what they want to see
B.) have had experience with Zelda and could construct a great story with lots of elements and items from both relevant, new and old, obscure games, such as the Cane of Pacci from Minish Cap compared to the Double Clawshot from Twilight Princess
C.) had a large budget but not a super huge budget to the point where they relied on flashiness to get views

, then yes.

Monja Elisa

Hyrulean Princess
Can they pull of a live action? no. I dont think so... but I do think they would have a good chance of pulling off a zelda anime or animated movie with actual zelda graphics well...

What game should it be modelled after?
If to say, the game actually would get an anime... I think the game with the most potential... atleast if we are going by their mangas... given lots of animes are adapted from mangas..... A Link to the past! It could be a mix of the alttp manga and something original!

Should Link speak?
no. Link, Ganondorf and Zelda shouldnt speak. The Zelda series has been holding up well for years.. even without the need of giving Link a voice.
They could keep him as he is today, with simple moans and grunts.... speachbubbles does work wonders, I've seen fanshows pull this off before without an issue.

Should it be adventure focused, action focused, drama focused, or romance focused?
I'd say some dramatic adventure but with a hint of romance... keeping the elegance and beauty of the overall game series..... <3

I've always thought the idea of a normal person being sucked into the screen and becoming Link could be kind of cool. Cheesy, but hey, a man can dream.

I also like the idea of, say, a group of people being sucked into the world of OoT, but functioning in the way the links in triforce heroes do because these are normal people and would probably need a hand haha

pyjamas5189

Secretly a cat
I think they would be able to pull off live action as long as they got the casting right! I don't think it should be modelled after any game and maybe have an incarnation of Link that's not quite a traditional Link so it doesn't matter that he speaks? Or even no Link at all except as a tale told to people? If it was live action it would have to be a series rather than a film then they have more time to build the characters and the world.

I think they would be able to pull off live action as long as they got the casting right! I don't think it should be modelled after any game and maybe have an incarnation of Link that's not quite a traditional Link so it doesn't matter that he speaks? Or even no Link at all except as a tale told to people? If it was live action it would have to be a series rather than a film then they have more time to build the characters and the world.
I agree that they could pull off a live action film or tv series if they got perfect casting and spot on effects.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom