• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

General Art A Tale of Capes

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
Last November, I decided to shake things up.

I, a long time fantasy-science-fiction-teenage-********-writer, decided to take a shot at superheroes. After two months of stalling, three months of writing, and 70,000 words of meandering, I looked up from my screen and realized I wasn't satisfied with the conclusion the story was drawing to. So I shelved the project, and moved onto something that wasn't quite a remake, but a re-imagining. A similar universe with a similar villain, but with the main characters of the previous story stirred, shaken, and decked out until they are but amalgams of their previous selves.

So, here's A Tale of Capes (to be changed to a better title, when I think of one).

Rated T for capes, conundrums, and ***********.

CHAPTER ONE​
Waking with breasts pressed against her back left Gayle Corrus grumpy, groggy and just a smidge horny. Then a silent alarm rerouted to her cellphone went off like a tornado siren, and she tumbled out of bed like a superpowered boulder. Five years ago, that alarm would have rocked her world, and guaranteed her a good day—hell, maybe a good week, filled with talking heads, congratulations, and CNN.

If her bedmate wasn’t woken by the high pitched shrill or her sudden exposure to the chilled air of an unheated apartment, she was most certainly woken by Gayle’s sudden exclamation of, “****!” She drifted back into consciousness, her shapely frame enunciated by the dampened sunlight. Gayle couldn’t remember her name, but she would certainly remember the night before. What she would try and forget later was how much she bounced around her apartment, struggling to pull herself into the leggings of a costume that must have been designed for a size negative five. Seeing herself in costume was usually the highlight of her day, but ****, why did it have to be such a pain to put on?

Gayle slapped her cellphone hard enough that the alarm shut off before remembering it wasn’t her wake up bell. An address stared up at her from the screen like an invitation, though she didn’t get a good look at it until she’d finally finished pulling her mask over her eyes. It was comfortable enough that her ginger hair could hang freely out the back, but uncomfortable enough that she could barely turn her head. Someday she would ask her costume designer how the **** someone could design a supersuit without including neck mobility, but that could wait for another hour.

She glanced at her bedmate, who looked like she was preparing for round two.

Well, maybe it could wait for two hours.

“You have to go?” the woman said (whose name Gayle swore was on the tip of her tongue), asking it with such charm that refusing to answer seemed a crime in and of itself, even though she clearly knew the answer.

“Duty calls,” Gayle said, and even though her bedmate was far too old to be amused by such things, she giggled anyway. When Gayle was finished putting the finishing touches on her costume, and finished making sure her cleavage was pushed up just enough to be appealing, but not enough to be slutty, she leaned over the bed and gave the woman a kiss that somehow lacked intimacy, despite involving a great deal of tongue. “Will you be here when I get back?”

“I have to go to work.” The exchange ended there, interrupted by another long kiss. “Will I see you again?”

“Yeah,” said Gayle, too breathless for anything beyond one syllable. She resisted the urge to ask the woman her name. “I do have to go now.”

“Then go, hero.”

The one part of Gayle’s apartment not covered in posters, newspaper clippings, and covers of People Magazine detailing her exploits might as well have been a wall it was so filthy. She could have added it to her growing list of things she needed to do that day, but each time she tried, she kept putting it off. Now she just didn’t bother to add it to the list.

Before leaping out the window, she glanced at her cellphone, which was still flashing an address at her, along with an estimated time before the police would be able to respond. In thirty seconds, she would lose the exclusive publicity. As fortune would have it, she recognized the address: a bank—one of those twenty-four hour banks that catered to used car salesman, graveyard shift employees, and superheroes without a definite work schedule.

Then she took off.

Gayle was at the bank ten seconds later, flying as fast and banking as hard as she dared in a populated city. During her first real flight, she’d cracked supersonic speeds while flying past the Lantern Memorial Center. Hundreds of thousands of dollars down the drain in less than a second in the form of broken windows. If the press had caught wind of her identity then, her career as a costumed crime-fighter would have come and gone in less than a day, demolished by legal proceedings and state-appointed attorneys.

America’s First Superhuman Bank might as well have read America’s Biggest Target. She’d laughed at the name before, and she laughed at it now, though less publicly and in a more bitter, sardonic sort of way. The front door wasn’t blasted or bent or melted or atomized, so she ruled out any supervillain interference, along with any sort of fun from the encounter. The few people who decided to do their banking at five in the morning were huddled on the floor, while a mook in a stupid looking Cookie Monster beanie was exchanging death threats with the teller.

Gayle heard some of the death threats, but didn’t particularly care. Superheroes were a dime a dozen in the US, but mooks just kept trying to commit petty crimes. Maybe there was some mook breeding ground in Texas or something with a conveyor belt dedicated to producing simpleminded criminals. Gayle hovered a good five inches above the ground (because flying was always the most dramatic way to approach mooks), put her hands on her hips, and cleared her throat.

As if he didn’t yet realize the level of **** he’d stepped in, the mook and his stupid beanie whirled around, bringing his gun up with both hands. Gayle half-thought he’d let off a reactionary round right there, which was always good for a laugh, but he kept his cool just long enough to realize he was in way over his head. “Aw ****,” he said. “Aw **** aw ****.”

“Funny,” Gayle said, planting both feet on the ground, “I didn’t know idiots had a repeat function.”

He lowered his gun, his arm shaking like it was having its own personal seizure. “Please, man, just let me go. I made a mistake.”

“You sure did.”

“It just seemed so easy!”

“I’ll bet it did.” Gayle used the mook’s panicky moment to get a good look at his gun—a chrome weapon with a barrel twice the size of his hand, and too many flickering lights to be anything military. Forty years ago, he’d have been laughed out of the bank for walking in with such a ridiculous looking weapon. But in the modern age of modern heroes, it was just as much a threat as a fifty caliber round.

Well, not to her, but to other people.

“…can I just… can you let me go?”

“Oh, I would, but the police will be here in—oh, twenty seconds.”

“The cops? But I—” Just as she expected him to, the mook raised his gun and yanked on the trigger. What hit Gayle wasn’t a bullet, nor even the typical insert-name-here ray, but a bubble of red plasma that left her feeling kind of itchy. But as with every other weapon mooks tended to fire at her, it accomplished nothing but her amusement, and even subsequent pulls of the trigger and subsequent blasts of plasma accomplished little else.

When the mook realized his high-tech gun was doing jack ****, and true horror twisted his face, Gayle stepped forward, yanked the gun out of his hands, and slapped him hard him hard enough to send him tumbling to the floor. The blow wasn’t hard by any means, but the impact of being humiliated was enough that he didn’t get up without help, which Gayle was happy to provide as she lugged him outside to the oncoming rush of police sirens. Even for having danced around in the nude for a good twenty seconds before managing to pull her costume on, Gayle had excellent timing. Even the press managed to arrive a short time later, as if they had their own super reporters sniffing around for stories. And though a police line was in the process of being established, reporters were tearing it to shreds with just as much energy.

The moment Gayle set foot outside and shoved her mook into the arms of the nearest available officer, there were half a dozen reporters chomping at her heels—from a distance, of course. The police line kept them from approaching physically, but it didn’t stop reporters from shouting questions at her from afar. The mess of voices blocked out anything but the shouts of, “Athena! Athena!” followed by fifty microphones being shoved towards her face.

If there weren’t a naked lady waiting in her apartment, she might have been tempted to waste one minute of her life smiling and spouting some one-liner about doing the right thing, or being in the right place at the right time, or even about telling kids to stay in school, but there was a naked lady waiting at her apartment, so she took off, waved at the reporters so as not to appear a total *****, and took off with just enough speed to blow dust in everyone’s eyes. She felt her ears pop during the sudden pressure change, but she’d repeated the gesture so many times that the change in pressure bothered her as much as breathing.

In the early days, Gayle never took the direct route to apartment. There were always scenic routes, diversions, decoys, and misdirection, just to make sure everyone had been thrown off her sent before she decided to strip off her costume. Then she stopped giving a ****, a change that occurred right around the time she realized that the media didn’t give much of a **** who she was either; so few people seemed to give a **** about her secret identity that she just started flying up to and through her window.

All three percent of her brain she’d devoted to being excited about sex fizzled out when she opened her window and discovered there was no naked lady inside. All that was left to greet her was the smell of old newspaper, and the scent of last night’s escapades. Yet even though Gayle knew she should have felt hurt by the sudden departure, or even just a little miffed that her bedmate (whose name she still couldn’t remember) hadn’t even left a note, all she felt was relieved. So she bundled up the sheets she’d strewn across the floor, and tossed them into the laundry hamper before plopping down on her mattress.

Then she stood up, because the mattress did really smell too much like sex.

She thought about taking the costume off, but decided against it, even if she still couldn’t mover her head left or right. A muscle-bound redhead stared at her from the mirror she’d hung in place just so she could look at her conquests without looking at them directly. The muscles were built into the costume to make her look bigger than a frail twenty-something, but they felt intrusive more than anything else.

Her answering machine was next on her list of Why the **** Not? Not her cellphone, but the landline she kept hooked up for her life as Athena. When the machine said, “You have five new messages,” in the closest voice Gayle had ever heard to that of a zombie, she smirked, picked up the phone, and held it to her ear.

The two messages were from a concerned parents group, calling to criticize her for encouraging children to solve their problems with violence. It was the third one this week, and while their messages had been amusing at first, they stopped being fun the second the agitated woman leaving them kept calling and expecting an apology. Gayle deleted them without a thought.

The third message was from a Christian group, calling to tell her that her millions of dollars wouldn’t buy her a single drop of water when she was burning in hell. She’d heard it all before, but the bravado and genuine concern with which the words were spoken would be good for another laugh or two. At the very least, she could call him back and point out how many millions of people were saved when the violent sinners of the superhero community finally stopped the nuclear fueled rampage of the Anarchist. She saved that message for future abuse.

The fourth as from Robert Fingle, her agent, and the only person on Earth who could make superheroics sound boring. Whenever possible, Gayle avoided face to face contact, lest he contaminate her with his receding hairline and his incessant need to refer to all women as, “Gal.” As sad as it made her, his was the first message she put any attention towards, because whenever she ignored his messages, he’d call back later and say, “But your contract,” enough times that was left with the choice to break his face, or relent.

“Hey gal—”

Gayle groaned on reflex.

“—just got word back from Nike. They want to meet up for merchandising talks.” Robert paused so he could partake in what sounded like three other conversations. “They want to attach you to their next line of shoes. ‘Built for peace, but ready for war.’ How does that… wait. Never mind. Just scratch that last part. Oh, and after that, we have a meeting with the Mattel reps. They want to discuss featuring you in their Superhero Barbie toyline. Call me back so we can set up a meeting and iron out the specifics. Ready for war…” The message descended into mumbling before cutting out seconds later.

Gayle stared at the phone for several long, painful moments, hoping the rising anger in her chest could be communicated to him telepathically, that was he could realize how ****ing stupid he sounded by mentioning her image and Barbie in conjunction.

The final message was an offer of sex from a hero calling herself Glamor—well, not an explicit offer, but that was always the implication that came with the offer of team-ups with other female supers.

She almost returned Glamor’s call, then reconsidered and reached to call Robert instead, before remembering it was still five in the morning. With a sigh of relief, agony, and disappointment, she peeled off her costume, booted up her laptop, and took to browsing one of the internet forums dedicated to speculation about her personal life.

"BARBIE," GAYLE SAID hoping her tone of voice would be enough to close the subject for good.

It wasn’t.

“It’s a big name,” said Robert the receding hairline as he placed a napkin over his three-hundred dollar pants and waited for the expensive Italian entrée he’d insisted on ordering. On a busier day, the outdoor seating might have made their conversation harder to overhear, but it wasn’t one of those busier days, so it carried for blocks around.

“It’s Barbie. Have you seen Barbie’s waist?”

“It’s bigger now. They made it bigger in 1997.”

“Why do you know the year when they made Barbie’s waist bigger?” Gayle leaned on the table and gave Robert her best evil eye. It wouldn’t deter him, but it made her feel better. “You’re already in talks with them about this, aren’t you? You want to sell my image to Barbie.”

“It’s a big name,” he said again. “We could start marketing you to children at a younger age. It would expand your consumer range.”

“Again, Barbie. I punch through steel girders. Barbie couldn’t punch through a piece of paper.”

Robert’s meal arrived just then; an expensive looking steak with expensive looking sauce drizzled all over it. His two ten dollar drinks followed. The waitress, a small, ambiguously Asian looking woman, looked at the drinks with a disdain even the warm indifference of her job couldn’t mask, and as Robert uttered a brief and totally uninterested, “Thank you,” the waitress slipped away.

“Must be a new girl,” he said, cutting into his steak. “You sure you don’t want anything?”

“I’m fine.” Gayle did her best to ignore the enticing scent, opting to stare down at traffic. Were it in a quieter city, the rooftop seating would have been quaint. But Olympus City was anything but quiet, and even eating ten floors up could often be a deafening experience. “You were regaling me with stories of Barbie’s waist.”

“Right.” He downed one of his ten dollar margaritas. “I need you to choose one.”

“**** no.”

“We don’t have the luxury of choice right now. Times are getting tougher. There aren’t any villains to fight, so heroes aren’t receiving as much focus from the media. Merchandising is the most profitable move you can make.”

“Then why hasn’t it been snatched up by every other hero without a real job?”

“Because you’re you.” Robert jabbed in her direction with a fork, inadvertently spilling some of his sauce on the tablecloth. He scooted his plate several inches ahead to hide the crimson stain. “You’re marketable. The Anarchist is dead, but you’re still Athena. You’re still the strongest hero in the city—maybe the state. You stop a bank robber and you have half the world’s news networks hoping you’ll tell them something about you.”

“Are you sure it isn’t because they made the boobs on my costume bigger?”

Robert paused mid-chew. “I didn’t—”

“Think I would notice the updated look is packing double Ds? I’m sure you didn’t.”

“Sex sells, Gayle.”

“Feminism at its finest,” she grumbled under her breath, pressing her hand against her chin so hard she was sure there would be an imprint of it there for days. “Back on subject, I need you to choose between Mattel or Nike.”

“**** no.”

“@Mark Slater is still open to ghostwriting your autobiography.”

“I don’t—are you seriously making me choose between Barbie and my biography? You know how I feel about biographies.”

“The world wants to know about you.”

Gayle massaged her temples, groaning in the loudest, most exaggerated manner she could muster. “Fine,” she said. “You win. I’ll sell my image to Barbie.”

“Good. I’ve scheduled a meeting with the Mattel rep so we can go over the details.”

“You planned for me to accept Barbie?”

Robert shrugged. “I guessed.”

“I hate you right now.”

He nodded, and Gayle suspected her dislike of his initiative went in one ear and out the other. “Also,” he said as he reached under the table and pulled a stack of white @cardboard out from what seemed like nowhere. “They gave me several concept pitches to show you, in case you agreed.”

“…seriously?”

“Seriously.”

Gayle started to stand.

“Just give them a look. You don’t have to sign off on anything.”

Gayle paused, fought down the overwhelming desire to hurl the table, Robert, and the whole goddamn restaurant into the stratosphere, and sat down, drumming her fingers against her leg to work out what stress she could. “Fine. Shoot.”

Robert showed her the first. It was Athena, except with a bigger chest, fake hair, ridiculous proportions, and a skirt. For the sake of adding to her bank account, Gayle might have suppressed her frustration about each of those characteristics, but she couldn’t look past the skirt. So with a flick of her hand, she said, “Next.”

The next was similar except that it made Athena look like a slut. In absence of the full-body suit (if a skirt could be lumped into that generalization) was a dipping cleavage line that might have looked seductive on a real person, but emphasized just how much of a toy Barbie was. Oh, and it was still wearing a ****ing skirt. “Are you serious?” she said.

“They don’t think the current outfit is going to appeal to young girls.”

“You increase the breast size of my costume, then tell me I need to wear a skirt to appeal to impressionable young girls? Last time I looked, girls liked pants.”

“Other popular female heroes wear skirts,” Robtert said as he flipped to the next picture.

“No,” she said, and stood up without any intention of sitting down again. “I give up. You know what? If they put the figure in pair of ****ing pants, I will sign off on it. Pants. If you can’t put me in pants, no deal. I’ll fire you. I’ll make due on my own.”

Robert held the displays against his chest, like he was disappointed he wouldn’t be able to show off the others. “Do you want to see th—”

“No. Pants, or nothing. And no, I do not give a **** about Nike.” She dropped a five dollar bill on the table to pay for her soda and made for the exit, ignoring the, “Come on, gal!” coming from her table. She saw a few eyes look at her while pretending not to, and felt a few more when she entered the indoor section of the restaurant. The ambiguously Asian waitress paused whatever paperwork she was filling out to watch Gayle bolt for the elevator.

Once she was safely on her way towards the ground, Gayle slumped in the corner and heaved a deep sigh. If it were as easy as flying out of the restaurant and blowing everyone off the roof in a burst of anger-induced indifference, she would have taken that option. But there were secret identities. There were personal lives. She still owned her personal life, and she wasn’t eager to let franchises buy it out from under her.

The elevator door thunked open and Gayle stepped out while reaching into her pocket for her cellphone. As she slipped through the revolving door, nodded to the security, and slipped herself over the golden Kawasaki parked out front, she reached her voice mail. She bypassed messages until she reached the one from Glamor, and decided to return the call.

The phone rang six times before someone picked up, and said, “Hello?” in the sexiest, most voluptuous voice Gayle had ever heard. A not developed in her throat that she couldn’t explain, and in some unresponsive part of her brain, it occurred to her that this reaction might be part of Glamor’s power.

“Hi,” Gayle said, fighting to regain control of her voice. “It’s Athena. When do you want to meet?”

“It’s patrol,” Gayle told herself after she suited up, glared at the bloated breasts of her costume, before flying off to linger downtown. That was wear Glamor wanted to meet, and for the life of her, Gayle couldn’t bring herself to object to anything that woman said. It was a power, it had to be, but… it was something. It felt like the closest thing to human contact she could manage.

So here she was: occupying her little corner of downtown Olympus City, crouching over the streets like a constipated Spiderman. No matter how much she practiced, or posed herself, or changed the costume, she couldn’t make anything on the ground look cool. It didn’t help that she stepped on her cape half the time whenever she was standing any less than straight up, but hey, capes sold, and in the wake of not a single ****ing supervillain existing—

Gayle took a deep breath.

—was waiting on a rooftop for casual sex.

No matter how she tried to rationalize it, she hated herself for it. But here she was anyway.

Then Glamor showed up.

Glamor was the kind of woman who couldn’t be called beautiful. She could be called sexy—the pornographic kind of sexy that would debut in a Playboy centerfold. The focus of her uniform, if it could even be called that, was a V-neck dipping so low Gayle wasn’t sure if what she saw was pubic hair, or a trick of the light. How her breasts stayed in place was a mystery, because they were hanging out of her suit almost freely. Whoever she was, she didn’t care about any secret identity, because she walked around bare-faced. Even with a full view of her features, Gayle couldn’t tell how old she was, so she decided not to ask.

“Hi,” Gayle said, and wondered again if this was part of Glamor’s power.

“Hello there.” Sex to her ears.

Definitely powers.

Glamor eased up to her and suddenly that V-necked cleavage was pressing against her chest, while fingers played with her hair. Gayle couldn’t resist the desire to… well, lose control of herself. She wrapped her arms around Glamor and pulled her into a kiss so passionate the magnitude of it could have halted an earthquake.[ASB1]

Glamor’s fingers reached for a zipper she couldn’t possibly have known the location of, and Gayle felt the chest of her suit loosen as her bare back was exposed to the chilled air.

Then she managed to grasp her diminishing willpower, and pulled away. She hugged her suit to her chest to keep it from falling off, and zipped it enough just enough that it wouldn’t do so on a moment’s notice. Whatever she turned away for, shame, reluctance, or panic, it felt as if one weight had been removed from her shoulders, and a greater one placed upon them..

“Could we—” Turning away brought on the kind of painful withdrawal she associated with her quitting smoking. “—could we talk, for a little while? Or patrol? Or—” She tried to think of a third alternative, but when nothing came to mind but speculation about the flavor of Glamor’s nipples, Gayle shut her mouth.

If Glamor was surprised by the reluctance, she didn’t show it. Her, “Of course,” came out as easily as if this entire setup were routine.

“I… okay.” She looked for something to support her physically, but didn’t find anything within easy reach. “It’s just—I don’t like where I am. I don’t know you and… I don’t want to fall to this level. Sex on rooftops.”

“But you’re Athena.” She purred the word, and Gayle struggled to keep her mind off sex.

“…yeah. I was. Am. I don’t know now.” She sat down, dangling her legs over the edge. Her cape tugged uncomfortably at her neck, and she finally just tore it off, letting it fall to the street below. The impulsive damage to her costume would no doubt piss off her agent, but being cape-less brought with it a feeling of freedom. “I just don’t feel like Athena anymore.”

“You feel weaker?”

“Kind of, it’s—” She didn’t know why she was talking, or how running away from casual sex turned into an impromptu therapy session, but some small part of Gayle encouraged her to keep going, and she listened to that small part.

“You fought the Anarchist, didn’t you? You’re that Athena?” That Athena, like there were a dozen more Athenas running around, fighting crime in equally disproportionate suits.

Come to think of it…

It became easier to think about non-sex related subjects. Maybe she was becoming better at resisting, or maybe Glamor was easing up out of sympathy. “Yeah. Broke his right arm, too. Shattered it into enough pieces that all the king’s horses couldn’t put it back together again.”

“But that doesn’t make you happy?”

“Not anymore. The Anarchist was like—” She lifted a hand as if she could enunciate the point better with random motion. “—he was the best. Not in a good way, but… he was the villain. Most of us went into that fight thinking we were going to die. He killed people. He had a plan. He knew how to fight capes, and he was winning. Back then, we all had purpose. There were supervillains. We fought, we won, we put them away. Now there isn’t anything. There aren’t as many of us now, because we… aren’t as necessary. The Anarchist came along and just ****ed it up. People see what a villain can do when he puts his mind to it, and suddenly there aren’t any villains. They just stopped.”

“I didn’t see the Anarchist in person. I did not have my power then,” Glamor said with an accent that might have been French.

And suddenly they were having casual conversation, and Gayle felt the effect of Glamor’s power slip away. Maybe she could control the flow of it—or maybe it was just the mention of the Anarchist, and the pile of bodies she remembered fighting him atop. “It was… wasn’t pretty. He leveled New York, and I mean leveled it. There wasn’t a city left. We were fighting him on top of bodies and ruins.”

“But defeating him doesn’t bring you satisfaction?”

“At the time?” Gayle zipped her suit back up, although such a task required bending over and jumping around in such a manner that wouldn’t be acceptable in public. “Yeah, it was satisfying. I didn’t deal the final blow, not personally, but I was there. I guess it was like a last hurrah. The end of the supervillain brought on the end of the superhero.”

“Why not do something that makes you happy?”

“This did make me—” Gayle stopped, remembering who she was talking to and why they’d met up in the first place. “Why are you talking to me?”

“That’s what you wanted, no?” Glamor sat down beside her.

“…well, yes. But we talked about coming up here for sex.”

“We did, but you did not want to, so we are talking.”

Gayle found herself laughing.

“The question is: why did you come.”

Gayle stopped laughing.

“Do you know?”

“I’ve…” She wrung her fingers together, trying to come up with an answer that didn’t make her sound like a *****. “…can you promise not to repeat what I say to anyone?”

“I promise.”

“Especially not People Magazine. They are just waiting for me to be involved in some pregnancy scandal or something so they can throw me on their cover.” She didn’t wait for another assurance before continuing. “I feel like ****. I feel like I am ****. I haven’t done anything super in two years, and now I feel like I haven’t—haven’t earned the uniform.”

“You were in the news yesterday.”

“Yeah, because I stopped a moron with a plastic toy. I don’t know if it would even have done something to a normal person.” In a quieter voice, she said, “I think I broke his jaw. Some idiot with a toy gun and I broke his jaw because I didn’t have anything better to do. Your message was honestly—it was honestly the most exciting part of my day. It was this or spend another hour arguing with my agent about how big Barbie’s tits should be.” A serious look at Glamor. “You aren’t a therapist, are you?”

Glamor laughed. “I’m a nurse.”

“You don’t say.” Gayle couldn’t hide her surprise, even beneath the inflexible cowl she was stuck with. When she tried to turn her head towards Glamor and failed, she peeled her mask off. “This makes it hard to move my head, sorry.”

“Don’t apologize. You have a very beautiful face.”

And then they were back in sex mode—or maybe Gayle’s sole superhuman connection in months was having more of an effect than she wanted it to. She stood, turning her back on Glamor yet again. There was no withdrawal this time. Maybe it was just her subconscious telling her what a ****ing idiot she was. “Sorry, I—do you want to go on patrol? Like, real patrol? I know we tend to use it as a cover for sex now, but—real patrol?”

“Of course—”

“Your power, do you turn it on and off, or do you just leave it on?”

Glamor smiled. “I control it.”

“Okay. Good. I thought for a minute I was going insane.”

“I will be careful.” Glamor wiped flecks of loose stone off her costume. “My name is Michelle, by the way.”

Were they exchanging names? Gayle hesitated, but having revealed her face, hiding her name seemed silly, as foolish a notion as it seemed even when she ran the impulse through her head a few times for consideration. “Gayle,” she said at last. “Gayle Corrus.” If Glamor wanted to shake hands, Gayle wasn’t sure she’d be able to survive more physical contact. Just her presence had brought her to brink of sanity for almost a minute. Thankfully, Glamor didn’t seem intent on shaking hands.

Gayle pulled her mask on. Patrol with a less maneuverable power was always trickier, and it wasn’t a conundrum she’d encountered in some time. She hoped Glamor’s power really was under wraps, because she didn’t want to experience a… spasm while carrying her. “So, should I just… carry you?”

“If you want.”

It was going to be a long night.

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
CHAPTER TWO​

In the morning, Gayle found herself drawn to the wall of exploits, magazines covers, tabloids, and newspapers. Last night’s patrol ended with a surprisingly happy parting, and the exchange of phone numbers—proper phone numbers, not her designated business phone.

Assuming Glamour hadn’t already checked her phone number after she made the mistake of calling on her cellphone. Gayle slapped herself in the head for that, then a second, retroactive slap.

But the wall.

She reached out towards the headline declaring the Anarchist’s defeat and death, accompanied by the unpleasant picture of his mangled corpse, beaten into submission and then beaten till his body collapsed in on itself, his healing factor unable to support the onslaught. The picture was gruesome, but ANARCHIST’S REIGN AT AN END. HEROES VICTORIOUS brought some levity to the otherwise bloody scene of New York City lying in ruin. What it didn’t show were the corpses of the four dozen heroes who died bringing the Anarchist down.

Gayle went to check Athena’s messages, then thought better of it, realizing she didn’t give a ****. Maybe she would spend a day as Athena, not Gayle Corrus wishing she were Athena. It might mix up her life just enough to make her feel less useful.

Then she glanced at the slip of paper with a phone number on it. “My cellphone,” Glamour had said the previous night in that French accent that rolled over her lips like chocolate. Gayle was half-tempted to call her, even though they’d been parted for little more than three hours. Having someone to connect to on any sort of personal level was… relieving.

Maybe there could be sex down the line that she wouldn’t feel guilty about later. That would be nice.

So even though she just took the suit off, she put it back on, scarfed a glass of milk that was the closest thing she’d had to breakfast in days, and jumped out her window. Cruising between buildings at speeds just slow enough to be subsonic, she let the wind ripple through her hair, and her thoughts move away from the unfortunate implication that she was selling an inaccurate likeness of herself to Barbie.

When she dropped herself on top an upper scale townhouse with rather cold looking dog leashed to a metal railing in the front yard, she did so with more force than was necessary and likely woke up the house’s every occupant—but she didn’t care. She slammed down on the house hard because it felt liberating. Then she took off again, her vigor renewed—

—and saw a mugger in an alleyway pressing a gun to someone’s chest.

On any other day, the presence of a mugger would have left her more depressed than enthusiastic. In all honesty, it still did, but today she was better at repressing that feeling. So as not to lose the shock value, she set herself beside the mugging with less noise than a moth would make when landing, and tapped the mugger on the shoulder.

To her disappointment, he wasn’t wearing a stupid beanie like the bank mook. In all fairness, he didn’t look like a stupid mook at all. Beneath his crummy looking jacket, his clothes looked quite nice given his being a stupid mugger. But like the stupid mook in his stupid beanie, the stupid mugger whirled around in what must have been some universal reaction among stupid criminals.

The gun he held was just like the one from the bank, down to the blinking lights and the oversized barrel. He pulled the trigger the moment it was pointed at her chest, and… it hurt.

There was no irritating itching sensation. Pain rippled up her chest like nothing she’d felt since the Anarchist had broken seven of her ribs. She stumbled backwards, her hand on her chest, barely able to stand. The alley they were in was isolated, disconnected from the main roadway by several different side streets. If a mugger killed her and dumped her body somewhere, no one would find it.

She resisted her body’s desire to keel over, and grabbed the gun. Her movements were so slow and filled with pain, but whatever was hurting her hadn’t taken away her powers. She crushed the gun like a toy and punched the mugger in the chest. He slammed against a dumpster, and his spine may have bent the wrong way, but whatever he’d hit her with hurt too much for her to care. Hell, until the pain vanished enough for her to stand without mentally writhing in agony, she forgot there was even a victim.

“Are you okay?”

She half-expected a French accent and a glorious set of breasts, but the figure was petite, the ethnicity Asian, and the chest moderate. After a dishonest-for-the-sake-of-publicity, “Yeah,” Gayle propped herself against a brick wall and heaved.

What the **** had that been?

The crushed remains of the gun were still in her hand, and it looked beyond any sort of repair. “I’m fine,” she said, more for her benefit than anyone else’s.

“Do you need an ambulance?”

The woman was familiar, but Gayle couldn’t remember from where. “No, I’m fine.” Fine was not what she felt. Silly for wearing a costume with a missing cape was what she felt, but that wouldn’t sound cool. “Just give me a moment. That gun—”

The pain fizzled to a point where she could think again.

“Are you normal? You don’t seem very strong.”

Gayle shook the rest of the pain off. “Why are you—are you alright? You were being mugged?”

The woman shrugged. “I had it under control. Now, may I have that?”

“What?”

“The weapon.”

“…you wanted to be mugged?”

“I wanted to lure him away from the streets so I could take it from him.”

“But you’re—” She waved a dismissive gesture towards the woman. “—normal.”

“I could have taken him.”

‘Him’. Gayle remembered at that moment that she’d left a mugger with a broken back bent painfully against the ground. There wasn’t much room in her opinion of him for pity, but there was room enough for an ambulance. “Actually,” she said, hiding the gun behind her back, “could you call an ambulance? He should probably be given metal treatment. And then convicted.”

The woman did. Seconds later, there were emergency vehicles on route. But even as she spoke into her cellphone, her eyes remained locked on the gun behind Gayle’s back like she could see through flesh. “You’re Athena?”

“That’s what they call me.”

“You were at the Tesoro Dimenticato.”

“…what?”

“You ate there. You were out of costume, but—”

Gayle should have felt panic at being called out so easily, for speaking about her professional life in public, but she didn’t. She tried to feel anger, or vulnerable, but she didn’t. The revelation didn’t provoke much beyond, “Oh,” followed by, “You were the waitress at our table.”

“I was. Your friend didn’t leave a tip.”

“Yeah, he’s… like that?” It came out a question. Were they really having such casual conversation about her secret identity? “…how did you recognize me?”

“Other than your voice? Your facial structure. It’s a nice costume, and the fake muscle-mass hides your body quite well, but it doesn’t hide your face. The structure of your jaw made it easy to recognize you.”

Again, nothing beyond, “Oh.”

“I would like that gun.”

Gayle stepped back. Despite being able to deflect bullets, lasers, drunkards, and sexual advances, she didn’t feel comfortable around this… ambiguously Asian woman. “Where are you from?” she said on impulse.

“Fourth Street.”

“…I mean, country.”

“That’s important?”

“I’m American. We’re thick like that.”

Gayle saw the woman’s brow furrow, and suspected they wouldn’t be on good terms anytime soon. “My mother is from Japan,” she said at last. “I was born here. Now give me the gun.”

“What’s your name?”

“If you don’t give me the gun, I won’t be able to find out who built it, or why it’s in the hands of common criminals. And if you wait too long, the police will be here, and confiscate it anyway. Then neither of us will have accomplished anything.”

“Then wouldn’t it be best for you to answer my questions?”

Gayle recognized the kind of look on the woman’s face—like she was sizing up a threat. Her head didn’t give any obvious indications of movement, but her lips tightened and her eyes flickered just enough that Gayle expected some sort of getaway. She didn’t understand why anyone could think they’d get away from Athena of all people, but she had to hand it to the ones who were irrational enough to try. Nonetheless, she tensed, and tightened her grip on the weapon.

“Let’s not do this,” Gayle said a second before it was done anyway.

She’d been expecting someone normal, but whatever passed between them when Isa pressed a finger into Gayle’s chest felt like ten thousand volts of electricity. Years of violence kept it from crippling her, but it caused enough pain that she couldn’t react when Isa slipped behind her and pulled the gun out of her weakened grip.

The jolt had been painful and just strong enough to stun her for a few seconds, but it didn’t accomplish more than that. Revising the circumstances of the engagement, Gayle looked up—the instinct she’d always fell back on when chasing a fleeing supervillain, and found Isa sprinting up the side of a building in defiance of the laws of gravity.

So she was a MacGyver.

Among the more politically correct, the term was MacGyver-Type Variant, the most famous of the original superpowers.

Among capes, they were a huge pain in the ***—and it had been two years since Gayle’s last encounter with one. The last one she’d run up against was a minor villain in a suit of armor, whose blinking lights and claims of indestructability didn’t hold much weight when throw against super strength. But this one, this Isa, was thinking far more outside the box than suits of armor.

“Hey!” Gayle shouted as she launched herself off the ground.

Isa twisted around—a movement that, from its angle, made Gayle nauseous—lifted both palms and projected identical beams of blue energy towards her. Both passed within inches of her face, and she could have sworn some of her hairs were on fire. But they were distractions, and far more would be required to take down Athena.

She moved faster than Isa was able to react, grabbing her by the leg, ripping her out of her artificial gravity, and hurling a good hundred feet into the air. Five years ago, Gayle might have repeated such a move to end a fight against some blockhead villain quickly, but after so much time spent languishing, she hoped this MacGyver could counter something as petty as gravity, even when so far above the ground.

She did.

Exhaust ports jutted out of of Isa’s calves, propelling herself into the air at impressive speed and ripping apart her pant legs. Similar openings poked through her sleeves, the eruption of flame obliterating much of her clothing. In her right hand, she still clung to the broken gun, which was looking especially fragile, given the circumstances it found itself in.

Admittedly, Gayle could have caught up. She could have snatched Isa out of the sky, crushed her engines, and ended the battle quickly. There might even have been a chance at reliving the glory days by handing her own to the city police department for processing. But the chase felt so good. It made her feel alive in a way that mooks just couldn’t hope to match.

Beneath her cowl, Gayle grinned like she hadn’t grinned in years.

In what Gayle assumed was an attempt to shake her, Isa dove back into the alleyways, navigating the tight corners with an impressive level of control. Gayle followed, reveling further when the chase took them back onto city streets, flying above civilians at hundreds of miles per hour.

But at the next turn, during the fraction of a second Gayle had her eyes off Isa, she vanished. There was no indication of a teleport, or a crash, or of any superpower. One minute, she was just gone. Gayle came to a sudden stop, and those onlookers who looked on seemed unsure whether to applaud the return of superpowered antics, or look solemn in the face of an escaped supervillain.

Personally, Gayle could only manage a, “Huh.”

Landing atop the nearest roof, she pulled her cellphone out of her costume’s lone pocket, and dialed a number buried so deep in her contacts list that it had long since been removed from speed dial: that of her old superteam. She half expected the line to be disconnected, or for it to ring hundreds of times before cutting to a voice message system without even a personal message to comfort her, but to her bewilderment and relief, someone picked up.

“Hello?”

The voice on the other end was young and male, and sounded like whoever was speaking was growling into the phone. Gayle didn’t recognize the voice, and briefly recalled how many of her teammates had died fighting the Anarchist. “Hi,” she said, pressing the phone to her ear while looking out over rooftops in the hope of finding her super-thief, “this is Athena. I need to speak with whoever’s in charge of intelligence with the Titans these days.”

There was silence, and Gayle wasn’t sure if the phone had been handed off, or if revealing her identity had sent the speaker into a fanboy-ism induced coma. “Athena?” came that same growled tone, accompanied by a suitable level of awe. “Really?”

“Yes, really. I’m calling in a favor, so I’d appreciate it if you’d redirect me to whoever’s in charge of New York’s security grid.”

“Right. Of course, ma’am.”

‘Ma’am’. Gayle juggled her cell into her other hand just as an older male voice said, “Athena?”

“Hello to you, too, Reggie. Everyone seems so surprised to hear I still exist.”

“Well, you did fall off the grid.”

“Did not.”

“…you quit.”

“Yeah.” Silence lingered for a few moments. “How’s the team doing?”

“Good. They’ve been doing well.” There was the sound of something shattering in the background, echoed by some poorly muffled profanity. “It’s just that they haven’t had the chance to fight anything real. It’s all simulations and practice rounds since—”

“Since New York.” She bit her lip at mention of New York. “Yeah. Regg, I need a favor.”

“Anything.” There was more desperation in his voice than Gayle wanted to take note of, like he was just as deprived as her for anything out of the ordinary as she was.

“Well, I just had a run in with a power.”

“A cape?”

“No. She might be a villain, but she didn’t hang around too long, and I didn’t recognize her from our old database.”

“You need me to look her up?”

“If you would.”

Gayle could hear rapid keystrokes in the background, punctuating Reggie’s words like a particularly inconsistent brand of static. “Okay, general description.”

“Five-four, early twenties—maybe even younger than that. Japanese descent. And she was a MacGyver.”

“Did you get a name?”

“Would it hurt your feelings if I said no?”

“No, but it makes everything a little less informative.” Several seconds of nothing but keystrokes. “Nothing in the Titans database. I’ll try cross-referencing.” Even more typing led to an anticlimactic, “Nothing in any base library. Maybe she’s a closeted cape.”

“Can’t imagine why anyone would hide powers these days, but okay.” Gayle found herself frowning. “Thanks Reg.”

“My pleasure. Are you planning to visit soon?”

Gayle almost said something, but it snagged in her throat like a bad cough, and then she wasn’t sure what it was she wanted to say. “I don’t know,” she managed at last. Even to her, that was a pathetic response, and she racked her brain for something to compensate with. “There are just… a lot of bad memories in New York. I… try not to think about it too often.”

“Okay.” She imagined Reggie nodding on the other end, because it made her feel like less of an ***. “Well, maybe we’ll schedule a vacation to Olympus. It would give us some time to catch up.”

“That would be nice. I’ll call you later, Reg.”

In a softer voice, he said, “Bye.”

Gayle ended the call and found herself heaving, like reliving part of her life was physically exhausting. She stared at the screen of her phone, at the two minutes of phone time she’d just spent with one of her closest friends, and how insignificant that seemed when compared to what she should have offered. “Sorry, Reg,” she said, and shoved the phone in her pocket, trying hard not to think about New York. She lifted herself a hundred feet in the air, hoping to catch a glimpse of the woman who’d shown her up, even it was a one in a million chance.

She didn’t expect to, but the thrill of chasing a real super gave her enough motivation not to care about such terrible odds.

“Do you know how much trouble I went to setting up this meeting?” Considering the earpiece was some ****** built in Bluetooth thing in her helmet, Robert’s anger came through loud and clear.

“Yup.”

“And you know how much is on the line.”

“Absolutely.”

“Which is why you aren’t attending the very important meeting when millions of dollars are on the line?”

Gayle parked her Kawasaki alongside a very large and very mean looking Harley Davidson before killing the power and dropping her kickstand. “Of course,” she said, leaning against her bike. “That’s why I’m trusting you, the dedicated employee I pay large sums of money, to attend this meeting on my behalf, knowing full well that I will driving a flaming boot up your *** if you misrepresent my opinion. Which I will, by the way.”

“You can’t just—”

“And I’m meeting someone.”

Across from her was the Westside Olympus Clinic, and the fruits of owning a phone book. As far as she could gather, this was where Glamour worked, if she was indeed a nurse and not a “nurse”. Gayle still hadn’t worked out which idea she preferred, and whether or not her indecision was fueled by residual traces of superpowers arousal.

“You’re… meeting someone?”

“That’s what I said.”

“…then I’m sorry I interrupted you. I’ll let you get to it.”

“I’m glad I have your permission.”

“Oh, but don’t forget about the interview tomorrow at—”

Gayle grinned as she ended the call, allowing her to finally pull off her vividly purple helmet and clip it to the side of her bike. Riding didn’t have the same freedom as flying, but it was the closest she was willing to come without compromising the remaining freedom of her secret identity. Besides, gas was cheaper on two wheels than it was on four.

For a long moment, she contemplated calling Glamour, making sure it was alright if she pop in somewhat announced, having deduced her last name and her place of employment. The benefits of online phone books were vast. But in the end, she decided against it, and opted to walk into the employer of someone she’d been on only one date with—if date could even begin to describe it.

On the way through the meticulously clean automatic door, a boy who must have been no older than ten bumped into her while staring at the screen of his cellphone, his fingers typing out text-messages so quickly Gayle couldn’t keep up in the single second she had to observe him before it was considered breaking a social norm. “Why would…” she said, letting a question best left unanswered drift into nothingness.

The presence of at least ten more children in the understaffed waiting rooms brought Gayle to a painful conclusion.

She was in a family clinic.

Trying her best to avoid eye contact, Gayle navigated the endless rows of chairs that made up the waiting room, struggling to keep her eyes from drifting to the episode of SpongeBob Squarepants playing on a television mounted in corner ceiling—one of those ugly black TVs that would have required at least four people to lift it to the ceiling. Half a dozen children and their parents clustered around it, watching it while doing their best to look innocuous.

Well, the adults were trying to look innocuous. The children were being children.

To call the file clerk “frazzled” would be doing her situation injustice. “Half-dead and functioning on emergency power,” would be more accurate. Although she was free for the moment, the room contained behind the glass barrier separating her from Gayle was a mess of folders, shelves, and more folders, and the unkempt black hair gave Gayle the impression the woman had been sitting and reading small print for hours at least.

“Excuse me,” Gayle said.

The expression on the file clerk’s face offered no indication as to whether she preferred working with files, or people, and her, “How can I help you?” was so quick and so without substance that Gayle feared for her health.

“I’m looking for a Michelle Favre. She told me she works as a nurse here?”

“She’s with a patient,” the file clerk said with such speed that Gayle suspected it was a well-oiled response.

“I’m a friend. Can you tell her I’m here?”

“I’ll let her know as soon as possible. Please have a seat.” Maybe Gayle was being too critical on the woman, seeing as she looked overworked, undernourished, and fatigued, but all she heard in that last sentence was, “Go **** yourself.” Even so, she took a seat and reached for the pile of outdated magazines all medical clinics were required by unspoken law to stock.

Unfortunately, the first one she grabbed was a three year old copy of People, and the face she found hers—or rather, Athena as she flew away from the camera, zoomed in dramatically to make it look like she’d fled out of embarrassment. If she’d known how that would turn on her in the long run, she might have done a little more not-hiding. Beneath the picture was the token scandal text of Athena’s teammates tell all, accompanied by a quote reading, “‘She’s not the same anymore,’ says ex-lover and teammate Firebird.”

Firebird. That brought back memories.

Gayle sunk further into her chair and set the magazine back on the table upside-down, wondering how much they’d paid Firebird to talk **** about her for the reporter.

One of the children detached herself from SpongeBob Squarepants and waddled over to Athena. She reached over with chubby fingers and picked up the copy of People, treating it like it was some holy relic. Then she looked at Gayle, before looking back at the cover, her eyes alight with the kind of realization adults seemed to lose the ability to have. Her eyes widened and her mouth fell open, revealing a gummy mouth with only a handful of teeth grown in.

Gayle smiled, put a finger over her lips, and went, “Shhh,” to the girl.

That seemed enough for the girl, who put the magazine back on the table just as her father called her back over with a gentle, “Eliza!” When the girl was too slow to react, he walked over to retrieve her, his middle-age paunch poking through the folds of his plaid shirt. He looked at Gayle and said, “Sorry,” as if to apologize for his child being a child, before returning to his seat on the other side of the room.

Gayle reiterated her promise never to have children, lest she end up boring later in life.

When Glamour finally emerged from the Clinic after what seemed like hours of waiting, she was… well, she didn’t look like Glamour at all. Her bust was a fraction of the size it had been the previous night, she wore a @light blue medical outfit that revealed none of her assets, and when she said, “Hey!” her French accent was replaced with one that was decidedly American.

Gayle’s mouth hung open for a moment while she wondered if she’d tracked the wrong Michelle. “Where’s your—” She made as subtle a gesture as possible to Glamour’s cleavage.

Glamour—Michelle smiled as if Gayle were a child pointing out the obvious. “It’s part of my ability,” she said in that American accent Gayle couldn’t bring herself to accept. “When I was using my power, what were you hoping to see?” Michelle looked to one of the clocks hanging above a doorway. “Here, I have lunch.”

“…right.”

“Is it that disconcerting?” Michelle looked down at her chest, as if expecting to have grown in size in line with Gayle’s expectations. “It’s mental. I make people see what they want to see when my power is on. It’s… part of the charm, I suppose.”

“…and you’re not French anymore.”

Glamour laughed as she held a door for Gayle. “French? You heard me as a French girl?”

“…yeah.”

“Your tastes are exotic.”

“It just makes it hard to… associate you with Glamour.”

“Do you think I’d have a secret identity if my breasts were as big as my head?”

“You might, but it wouldn’t be as a nurse.”

They ducked through a revolving door, and Gayle found herself dwelling on the taste of Michelle’s nipples. Even if the power was off, there must have been some residual effect—or maybe Glamour’s ridiculous bust had just been the most enticing piece of almost-naked flesh Gayle had seen in months. “Do you—”

“There’s a sub place across the street,” Michelle said, pointing across the embarrassingly small parking lot to a Subway just across the way that several other medical staff were migrating towards. “If you like subs.”

“I love subs.”

They crossed the parking lot in silence, leaving Gayle to wonder if she’d sabotaged the exchange through sheer willpower, while simultaneously wishing she were back in costume. Athena was just as awkward as Gayle, but at least she had a costume to hide some of that awkward beneath. After ordering a sub sandwich with more varieties of meat than anything else, and Michelle was the one to break the silence, saying, “You hunted me down at work?”

“It seemed as good a way to go about it as any other.”

They moved down the glass display case, watching their sandwiches being made.

“Some might call that stalking,” Michelle said.

“Is it stalking?”

“I don’t know yet. I’ll wait and see before I judge.”

Food in hand, they sat down at one of the smaller tables.

“So,” said Gayle, “I sort of blew off my agent for this?”

“You have an agent?” The tone of her words made the concept of having an agent as a superhero seem even more ridiculous than it already was.

“I do.” Gayle leaned back in her chair, not sure why she’d ordered a sub in the first place. “But some days, I don’t know why I do. They always tell authors to find an agent, or they’ll face a lifetime of rejection, but there isn’t a guide to marketing yourself as a superhero. I think of firing him every day, and if I’m not, I’m thinking of punching him in the face for selling my name to Barbie without telling me.”

Michelle—Glamour—Michelle grinned. “Barbie?”

“I kid you not. They even want to put me in a skirt.” In a lower tone of voice, she said, “In a ****ing skirt. All the other female superheroes wear skirts, so my toy has to wear a ****ing skirt, just so they can appeal to that half-******** demographic of girls whose parents haven’t bothered to teach them any form of self-respect.”

“And you said no?”

“…well.”

“You said yes, didn’t you?”

“It was sell my likeness to Barbie, or be part of Nike’s newest ad campaign. I’ve never worn a pair of Nike shoes. I could probably buy ten thousand pairs of them, but I’ve never seen the appeal of waving a credit card at a cashier and saying, ‘I’d like you’re most overpriced pair of shoes, please.’.”

Michelle kept grinning.

Gayle felt the tension ease out of her. “Although that probably won’t be the worst of it.”

“Worse than Barbie?”

“An interview. It isn’t televised, thank God, but it’ll still be in some magazine. They haven’t stuck me on TV since—” She furrowed her brow and thought of New York, and reporters who had decided personal space was a country they needed to invade, shoving microphones in her face and asking questions a dozen at a time, in spite of the corpses that had surrounded them. “—talking heads and armchairs, I guess. I haven’t watched the news in a while.”

Gayle stared at her sandwich.

“So,” she said, drumming her fingers against the edge of the table to revitalize herself. “My life is pretty public. How about yours?”

And in an instant, Michelle looked uncomfortable.

“…unless you don’t want to.”

Michelle laughed, but it did nothing to hide the way she shifted in her seat as the subject of her personal life took center stage. She scratched her nose, refused to meet Gayle’s gaze, and said, “I wind up in the tabloids more often than I should.”

“What? Did you have an affair with the president, too?”

A blank stare.

“…that was one of their stories about me a while back.”

Michelle started to look offended before Gayle’s grin told her it was a joke. She laughed again, just as stiffly as before. “No. Glamour tends to make the tabloids frequently, for… sex.”

“You could change the costume.”

Michelle’s look said that she wished she could, but that for whatever reason, it was impossible. She drummed her fingers against the table like there was nowhere else she’d rather be, and spent more time looking at the garbage can across the room then she did trying to stammer out a response. When she said, “Glamgesrund,” it came out in one fast syllable.

Gayle nodded, in spite of not understanding a damn thing.

Composing herself and taking a deep breath, Michelle said, slower and enunciating each word, “Glamour gets around.”

“What do you mean?”

Michelle gave her a sideways glance.

“…oh.”

“It’s part of the power.” She crushed her straw wrapper, eying it like an old boyfriend she’d love to toss in a trash compactor. “I can push my desires into people—into men, more than women—but in order to keep using my power, I need… sex.”

“Sex.”

Michelle’s attempt to flee the scene was accompanied by an, “I should go.”

Gayle grabbed her by the arm. “Wait. Really?”

Michelle nodded.

“No, I mean, you really need sex to fuel your powers?”

“…yeah.”

“…wow. That must make it hard to stay steady with someone.” But Gayle said it with a smile infectious enough that Michelle seemed to take it in jest, and sat back down. She flexed her arm, and for a moment, Gayle worried she’d left a visible mark beneath the medical outfit. “So, how does it work?”

Michelle leaned over the table so she didn’t have to speak as loudly, shrugging in as innocuous a manner as possible. “That’s just how it’s always been.”

“Sounds easier than accidentally breaking someone’s back during sex—not that I’ve ever, but I used to worry about it.” Gayle leaned over as well, and were the table smaller, it would have been an intimate act.

“Could we not talk about my sex life?”

“Okay, okay.” Gayle pulled out her cellphone and checked the time. “When do you get off work?”

“At five.”

“Yeesh. Maybe there’s a reason I make all my money through selling my tits to Barbie.”

“Do you have to leave?”

“No, but meeting you during your lunch hour is not what I’d call an ideal date.” She reached out and placed her hand over Michelle’s. Michelle’s immediate reaction of not reacting at all gave Gayle the thumbs up that she wasn’t just being overly clingy and not-stalker-ish. “If you’re up for it, I’ve always been a fan of movie popcorn. How do you feel about Star Trek?”

“You want to go out with Super Skank?”

“Super Skank?” Michelle cleared her throat, and Gayle decided not to ask. “It may sound like I’m lying out my *** when I say this, but—have you ever dated another superhero?”

“…no?”

“Well I have. She even ran to the reporters one day when I decided I couldn’t deal with the way she would flame on in my apartment. There are scorch marks in there that won’t come out, no matter how many times I redo the ceiling. If you think you’re dysfunctional, you have never seen Firebird on her period. A girlfriend with sex-fueled superpowers is nothing compared to a girlfriend who catches fire whenever she’s angry.”

And then they were laughing again, so Gayle knew she’d won.

“You dated Firebird?” said Michelle after the fit of giggles died down.

“It’s a long story full of scandal. Maybe I’ll tell you about it once I’ve coerced a little more of your secret origin out of you.” She poked Michelle in the shoulder.

“Maybe I could just read about it in a grocery store.”

“Sure, you could, but then you wouldn’t get all the juicy details, or the unnecessary profanity. Star Trek when you’re off work. I hear Sherlock Holmes plays the villain.” Gayle stood, looked at her untouched sandwich, and said, “Just don’t go running to the TV execs. I will never speak to you again if you do.”​

Last edited:

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
CHAPTER THREE​

The first thing Gayle saw in @the journalist’s apartment was a shiny new Mac, for which she automatically disliked him. The décor matched her expectations of what Mac owners spent their money on when they weren’t throwing it into the Apple black hole of proprietary hardware, with token art hung in the living room, a marble sink in the bathroom, and couches that were more interesting to look at than they were comfortable to sit on. When Daniel opened the window and let in Athena, she was almost scared to touch anything, lest some college graduate with a major in interior design burst into the room and declare the entire scene ruined.

Daniel looked nice enough, perhaps a classmate of the pretentious interior design graduate, and sounded nice enough over the phone in the stammered message he left with Gayle’s agent requesting an interview so he could write the feature article of some small time art magazine that published lots of bad poetry. She was still trying to figure out if he was an intern, or an employee when she remembered that, in the art world, there was no difference.

By the time Gayle had figured out which furniture was meant to be sat on and which was meant to be observed from across the room with utterances of, “How quaint,” and by the time she’d fought enough with her mask that she could almost move her head in all directions, Daniel entered the room, carrying two glasses of Chai tea. In the darkest part of her psyche, Gayle knew he would drink Chai tea. But rather than express any of her cynicism, she said, “Thank you,” and watched him set the recorder down on the glass table that separated them.

Gayle was still fighting with her chosen armchair for a comfortable sitting position when Daniel pulled an iPad from… somewhere (Gayle wasn’t sure. It looked like he had pulled it out of the couch)and placed it on his lap like some overly expensive keyboard. “So, good morning Miss Athena—”

“—Just ‘Athena’ is alright.”

“—Athena, sorry.” He was already correcting something on his iPad. Gayle could not imagine what he’d written. “My first question is the obvious one: what’s it like being a superhero?”

“Are you sure that’s the obvious question?”

“Um, excuse me?”

“Well, the last time I was in a magazine, it was so the writers could give me half a sentence to defend my reasoning for breaking up with Firebird, while they gave Firebird three pages to tell the world why I’m such a terrible girlfriend.”

“Oh, well—” If he’d been wearing glasses, Gayle could guarantee he would have been adjusting them. “I thought we would just skip to the important subjects.”

“Right.” She smiled.

Daniel smiled.

All was well.

“Being Athena is great,” Gayle said, beginning one variation of the answer she gave every time someone asked her that question. “It’s not as action-packed as it used to be, but it still has its moments. It’s always an honor to protect Olympus City from—well, petty thieves. Sometimes, when I’m feeling daring, I’ll go after jay walkers.”

Gayle watched Daniel type that that noiseless digital keyboard, and pondered for a moment why he was recording the conversation if he just intended to type at the same time.

Then it occurred to her that he just might not know what the **** he was doing.

“Okay,” he said. “How did you find out about your powers? And why did you choose Olympus City?”

“I think I found out about my powers the same way everyone else with super strength finds out about them—I woke up one night when I was twenty, and discovered I’d kicked down the wall in my sleep.” She left out the part about the alcohol, and the other woman who had been in bed with her at the time, and who may or may not have been the reason her legs had been kicking hard enough to take out a wall. “Not very exciting, I know. It made me a bit of a bore at superteam get-togethers. Everyone had a more interesting backstory. In regards to Olympus City—”

“You came here from New York, right?”

Gayle nodded—slowly. “I did.”

“You decided not to stay, after your fight with the Anarchist?”

“It wasn’t really ‘my fight’. I was there, and I was one of the people who helped bring him down, but it wasn’t my fight by any means. I just couldn’t stay there. When there’s so much destruction in one place, it just—it’s like it scars the land, and scars never really heal.”

“So, why Olympus City?”

“I liked the name.”

Daniel waited, as if expecting more.

“Okay, I liked the name from the list of pending flights at the airport.”

“But isn’t your other power flight?”

“That doesn’t mean I don’t have a secret identity. It’s nice to escape sometimes.”

“But now you’ve been here for nearly two years. Are you planning on returning to New York in the near future? You were once registered as a member of the New York Titans. Do you have any plans to reunite with them?”

Gayle shrugged—indifferent enough to be aloof, but not enough to seem rude. “Anything’s possible. I’m still young.”

“How old are you exactly, Athena?”

“Oh no, I know the trick. I tell you my age, you narrow down a list of people with the same age, and then bam—identity blown. Don’t think the superhero community has forgotten what happened to Atlas.”

Atlas—the first superhero. Born and bred in the wake of the Second World War, and the first man to put on spandex and not make a complete jackass of himself. Then the media got a hold of his secret identity, circulated it half a dozen times around the globe, and suddenly Atlas couldn’t get a lick of privacy, even in the confines of his own home. Of course, then the federal government made it a felony to disclose a superhero’s secret identity without written consent, which established guillotine of a federal lawsuit, should any reporter grow too big for their boots.

“Of course, sorry,” Daniel said in a tone that sounded sincere, drawing just enough sympathy that Gayle felt a smidge guilty for blowing-up-but-not-really.

Gayle almost said, “It’s fine,” but Daniel interrupted her with, “Could you tell me what started your relationship with Firebird?”

Firebird always came up. No matter the reporter, no matter the magazine or the television channel, someone always wanted to ask about Firebird. Gayle half-thought they were expecting steamy details about her sex life. “Firebird and I were both part of the Titans,” she said, trying to sound interested in her own words. “We were also the only two lesbians on the team, and since the superhero community inbreeds as much as the Borgia family—” Gayle shrugged, hoping it covered up the painful simile. “—it just sort of happened.”

“But you broke it off.”

“Yes, and then Firebird sold that breakup to half a dozen news agencies. Then the story of the week was how terrible a girlfriend I am, how I didn’t ‘support her’. We stuck together for as long as we did because it made the Titans look like a hunky dory family, and because having a gay couple was good for PR.” Gayle crossed her arms over her chest in what she hoped was a playful manner. “Come on. This is old hat. I’ve had a dozen reporters ask me the ins and outs about my sex life. Give me something new.”

“White milk or chocolate?”

“Chocolate. And I always blow bubbles in it before I drink it.”

Daniel laughed in the dishonest kind of way someone laughs when they’re thinking less of you. Then he pushed his glasses up, swiped a finger across his overpriced tablet, and typed up what Gayle assumed as the condescending truth. Spite colored her thoughts, but after half a decade of reporters, she was set in her ways. “What do you think about heroes who forgo secret identities?”

“I pray they don’t wake up some night with a knife in their chest—the ones who can be hurt by knives, that is. Once you’ve gone public, there isn’t much you can do, short of breaking into government computer systems and creating a new identity for yourself. Not that I know anything about such tactics. I plead the fifth in advance.”

Her goal was to make Daniel smile, or even smirk, but he was having none of it. “After the destruction of Brooklyn, why did you leave New York? Some sources say you didn’t assist in disaster relief after the Anarchist’s death.”

Gayle opened her mouth and closed it again.

That was new.

“I… felt like I needed to get away.”

“But there were no doubt survivors left trapped in the ruins after the initial attack.”

Gayle narrowed her eyes. “It was—”

“Some reports even have you leaving before the Anarchist’s death. What do you say to accusations that you fled the scene?”

Gayle’s lips felt dry. “…who—who said I left the scene?”

“Several members of the superpowered community.” Her thoughts lingered on the way he said, “superpowered,” rather than, “superheroes,” like there was no distinction between heroes and villains.

“I stayed until the Anarchist died,” she said. Her voice was small, and she could smell the burnt carcasses of New York City as sure as if she were standing atop the bodies once again. “I owed it to all of them to stay.”

“And what was your reasoning for coming to Olympus City?” The same question, but spoken with a different tone—a more accusing tone. Daniel leaned forward, and Gayle expected to see a microphone sprout from his hand to be jabbed in her face.

She felt very small. Her grip on the arms of the chair tightened. “Why are you interviewing me?”

The way he leaned back—the way Daniel drew himself away from his keyboard—made it look like he’d been expecting her to ask that question, and that he was impressed it had come up so quickly. “Because the public deserves to know its heroes,” he said in a voice lacking malice, but possessing it all the same. “I want to know what happened in New York after the Anarchist killed millions of people. Why did so many heroes leave the scene of the battle?”

The air smelled of death.

“I think I’ll leave,” Gayle said as she stood.

“So you acknowledge rumors that you fled the scene, leaving emergency personnel to clean up the destruction?”

The window was right there. She could smash it, leaving a little property damage in exchange for trying to provoke her. But she hesitated. It had been years since a journalist had bothered with anything beyond sensationalist reporting. She thought she’d miss the proclivity for news beyond sex and more sex, but she’d forgotten what it was like to be caught in the headlights, unable to escape.

“No, I don’t,” she said.

A brief spike of static from the @recording device on the table caught her attention, and she remembered that the whole thing was being captured in savable format. Every wince, every verbal blow, and every less than graceful response to questions she hadn’t been expecting. Gayle grabbed it before Daniel could react, holding off her frustration just enough to keep her from crushing the chunk of plastic in her fist.

“Hey—”

“Were you in New York when the Anarchist attacked,” she said, recovering enough spite to lace her voice with it.

Now he was standing. “No.”

“Then don’t talk about what went on there. Don’t think to—” She was breathing hard, faster than any criminal had driven her to breathe in two years. She still smelled corpses, the stink of millions of people dead before they could react. “Three million people died in New York. Three million.” She held up a fist, as if the trembling hand could enunciate her point. “He killed half a city like that. Ten seconds. If we hadn’t been there to stop him, there wouldn’t be a New York ****ing City. If we walked away from that, there might not be a ****ing United States.”

Gayle wanted to lift the man by the collar and spit her hatred in his face.

She resisted.

“You watch three million people die and walk away from it like it was nothing. The next time a walking nuclear bomb throws itself at New York, you run straight at it, not knowing if you’ll come out alive. Then walk away and—and see how whole you feel. See how much of yourself you can hold onto.”

Gayle walked up to the window and kicked it open, hard enough that the whole thing cracked and shattered, sending glass shards tumbling to the sidewalk below. She hoped no one was hurt, but at that moment, at that one terrible moment, she couldn’t bring herself to caution. She twisted her mouth shut and leaped out the window, tucking the @recorder in her pocket alongside her cellphone. The rush of wind to her face wasn’t enough to wash away the smell, but it was a start.

Unfortunately, Gayle hadn’t flown far when she felt bile build up in her throat. Dropped herself atop the tallest building she could find without puking into the open air, she emptied her stomach onto concrete, and recoiled as flecks ricocheted onto her boots.

“God,” she said, wiping away what she could. “****ing—”

The taste wouldn’t go away.

The Anarchist was supposed to be dead. He was supposed to be dead, but he was all people wanted to think about. The last supervillain—the last real supervillain—and all they wanted to do was look at the people who’d prevented further loss of life and say, “What about those guys?”

Gayle pulled down her mask.

When she saw someone being mugged in an alley, she almost laughed. Compared to a proverbial dagger at her throat, it was a relief. A mook with a knife and a victim with a wallet. It was a repeat of the previous day, but it was a good repeat. Just the thing to take her mind off *******s. So she dropped into the alley with enough force to leave a crater in the sidewalk.

The mook hesitated, like he knew his *** was cooked before he turned around.

Gayle didn’t give him the chance to turn around.

She grabbed him by the throat and tore him off his feet, slamming him against the wall with enough force to leave bruises up and down his spine. Before the interview, she would have cared that her mask was still down, that she might have been blowing everything by acting on impulse, but in the heat of the moment, with the death of millions fresh in her mind, she didn’t care.

“Do you know who we fought?” she said through [ASB1] gritted teeth.

The mook was suffocating. He didn’t answer.

“We fought the ****ing Anarchist. He could blow up city blocks with his ****ing mind. And he killed—he killed a lot of us.” Gayle pushed the mook further up the wall. “DO you know what you are compared to him? A pothead with a ****ing knife. You are an ant beneath my boot. You are the ****-stained leftovers of supervillains.”

Then Gayle realized she was suffocating the man, and let him go. He slid down the wall and too his knees, coughing and holding his throat. It looked like he was trying to speak, but all he could manage was a wheeze.

“Get out of here and do something productive,” she said. “And maybe I won’t break your jaw the next time I meet you. It’s more than could be said for the last two potheads I’ve seen attempting petty burglary.

The mook didn’t look sure whether the best move was to nod, or just to remain silent. He didn’t even gather the courage to stand until Gayle was taking off, pulling her mask on midflight. She felt like the only superhero in Olympus City, and the thought was suffocating her. When she was alone on a rooftop, she pulled out her cellphone and debated between calling Robert and give him **** for setting up an interview with a punk who thought he knew enough to criticize her actions in New York, and calling Glamour so she could have someone to talk at.

She wanted to call Glamour; hell, her finger lingered over the speed-dial button, but today was… heavy stuff. Too heavy for something as new and as vulnerable as a relationship with a hero whose powers revolved around sex. So she called her agent, pressed the phone to her ear, and bit her lip.

He picked up on the second ring, like he’d spent the whole day waiting for her to call. “Gal,” he said, but stopped when she didn’t immediately yell at him, or cut him off. “Gal? Did the interview go badly? I know it was just a kid, but I thought that some publicity was better than—”

“The interview was ********.”

“Gal, what happened?”

“He started talking about New York.”

“Gal, a lot of people want to know about New York. It’s still—”

“He accused me of running away.”

There was silence. Gayle sensed that, in spite of all the **** she gave him, and even if he were technically just her agent, he would have sat next to her and put his arm around her. “Are you okay, gal?”

“Yes. Well, somewhere… in between.”

“Did you finish the interview?”

“Robert, I’m not—”

“Listen for a moment, Gayle. If you didn’t feel comfortable, I’ll block the publication. I’ll make sure the writer doesn’t see a word of it in print.”

Gayle laughed, but it was reassuring to hear such things from her agent. “Yeah. Thanks. I just…”

“…do you want it published?”

Gayle closed her eyes, inhaled, and took the moment to think. “If people heard how that went, they’d hunt the guy down.”

“In a televised interview, they would. But this was a magazine—”

“—so he could spin it.”

“He won’t be able to publish it, Gayle. And if he does, we’ll sue him straight into the ground for libel.”

Gayle pulled out the @recording device and stared at it for several long moments. Part of her wanted to listen to it, to see how her own voice would sound when played back. “Rob,” she said. “How did the Barbie thing go? Did they take away the skirt?”

“I made sure they cut the skirt.”

“Good.” She rubbed her forehead. “That’s good. I thought maybe I’d have to threaten to fire you again.”

“As much as I love the motivation, I’m not always trying to needle you into killing me.”

“Does that mean you’re usually trying to?”

“I’m not sure that’s a safe subject.”

Gayle laughed. “You’re probably right.” She paused. “Robert, I need to go. Can I call you back later?”

“Anytime, gal.”

“Thanks.” She ended the call and scrolled through her list of contacts to the Titans, clinging to the hope that the description she’d provided Reggie of the MacGyver would amount something beyond a, “No.” So she dialed, entered her access key, left the operator in awe she as identified herself, before being redirected to the security grid.

The “Hello” that greeted her was long, tired, and sounded like it hadn’t seen sleep in days.

“Regg?” she said.

She imagined Reggie immediately straightening, like an officer had walked in the room. “Athena. I was about to call you.”

“Really?”

“I caught a break with your MacGyver. The name and power type didn’t bring up any matches, but there was a case with a Japanese American family thirteen years back. It would put the girl in the same age range as your MacGyver.”

Gayle grinned, feeling at last like she was back in her element. She hoped the stupid of her grin didn’t pass through phone lines. “What do you mean ‘incident’?”

“A power manifested. Girl discovers ability and builds a toy energy weapon for herself, doesn’t realize the weapon is real, and accidentally vaporizes her parents when she tries to show them. Sad stuff. A neighbor called 911 after not hearing from the family for two days. The police never reported finding the girl, and she’s still listed as a missing person, with any new information to be reported to the authorities.”

“And you think this is the woman who attacked me?”

“You didn’t give me much to go on. Without a picture, I can only do so much, and outside of you calling me, there haven’t been any reports of a Japanese-American MacGyver in Olympus City. It could be she’s not from around there, but the case with the parents is from that area, and it seems more likely she just hasn’t fallen too far from the tree.”

“So you know where to find her.”

“…no.”

“No?”

“There’s a reason the missing person case is still open. Whoever this woman is, she’s kept a tight lid on her public appearances. Oh, but it did give me a name. The girl’s name was Mina—Mina Tanaka. It may not help much, but at least you won’t have to keep calling her ‘woman’.”

“Yeah, thanks, Reg.”

“It’s why I’m here.”

Gayle waited for the question to come.

“…so, have you thought about that visit?”

“Reg…” Gayle massaged her temples. She felt older, just then, like she was contacting a friend she’d known decades back, rather than years. “I can’t. It’s not you, or the team, or the people, I just can’t come back. Not for a while. I need to be away. When I’m here, I don’t have to think about what happened.”

“Don’t worry,” he said. “I get it.” He tried to hide the bitterness from his voice, but it was still there. The worst part was that she could offer no resistance to it. She was running away from her problems and now she was running away from her friends.

“…I want to visit, I just…”

“I know, Athena. It’s alright.”

“I will. And I need to go.”

“Fine. We can talk later.”

Gayle’s hand lingered on the End Call button. “Mina Tanaka,” she said, repeating the name to herself once, just to be sure it was real. A missing person who’d mugged her, then disappeared into a crowd, and who may or may not be a villain, who may or may not be suffering from the social difficulties brought on by living on her own for almost fifteen years, and who may or may not be a superhero.

It was a mystery like Gayle hadn’t experienced in a good long while.

She grinned.

Just like old times.

For the first time in two years, Gayle didn’t feel like getting out of bed. Glamour didn’t spoon like so many superheroes before her, but the embrace was far more affectionate. Whatever her power did that created the big breasted French woman was inconsistent, and didn’t stay on after Michelle had finally passed out after an hour of canoodling. But the face it left behind was still beautiful, and still held that agelessness that made Gayle grin.

She sat up, but not because she wanted to. The way Michelle clung to her, she worried that the other woman would become a second skin if she didn’t peel her off fast enough. By some miracle, she left bed without waking her bedmate, and pulled underwear on as quietly as possible. Maybe she should have felt used after ending up in bed after just the second date, but she didn’t. Hell, she felt pretty damn good.

Then her phone rang.

Some part of her with forethought had switched it to vibrate the previous night, and she managed to snatch it from her bed-stand before the noise was enough to wake Michelle. “Hello?” she said, as she slipped into the bathroom and shut the door, fighting off the hangover from the previous night while wondering how long it would take to get Michelle’s scent off her upper lip. “Richard?”

“No.” A different voice, one she’d heard only once before.

“Mina Tanaka?” Gayle cupped her hand over the receiver. “I appreciate the need for dramatic timing, but this is not the best time.”

“Crime doesn’t adhere to a schedule, Athena.”

“…did you really—look, this is not the best time. There’s—”

“A woman in your bed. I know.”

“If you’re monitoring my bedroom, I will hunt you down and end you.”

On the other end, Mina Tanaka smirked in such a knowing fashion that it was audible through the earpiece. “You have fi—”

“Bye.” Gayle pressed the End Call button, fully expecting to receive an irritated phone call within the hour, or at the very least, a mean-spirited text message. Leaving her phone on the sink, Gayle did her best to sexy herself up in the ten seconds she guessed she had before Michelle yawned, stretched, and realized her human pillow was missing.

Luck was on her side, for Gayle slipped back into bed just in time to meet the groggy and not-quite-as-drunk-as-her gaze of Michelle, who grinned, blinked in the slowest manner possible, and said, “Since when were you wearing your underwear?”

“Siiiiiiiiince I tried to sneak out of bed and sneak back in without you noticing.”

“Don’t brush your hair next time. Might work.”

They kissed; long, and slow, and full of morning breath mixed with lots of less appropriate things.

“Do you want to get out of bed today?” Michelle said.

“No, but God will demand it at some point.” That said, Gayle stretched and leaned back, only slightly surprised to find her pillow had been thrown to other side of the room at some point during last night’s gymnastics. “I was thinking I need a job.”

“A job?”

“One of those things that earns money. Maybe Athena will become so irrelevant that I won’t be able to survive on merchandise deals and movie royalties.”

“What qua—”

Gayle’s phone rang from the bathroom—a curious thing, seeing as it was still set to vibrate.

“Shouldn’t you get that?” Michelle said.

“Oh, I’m sure they can wait a few minutes while there’s a beautiful woman in my bed.”

Michelle rang a finger across the curvature of Gayle’s stomach. “Where did you go to college?”

The expression on Gayle’s face was akin to someone discovering they’d contracted a cancer. She stared at the ceiling, becoming a nervous wreck for a fraction of a second as the hand that wasn’t clinging to Michelle drummed against her mattress. “Well, I… may… not have gone.”

“Why not?”

“…well, superpowers at nineteen threw a wrench in the works. You beat up bad guys and earn royalties, and suddenly earning a degree in…” Gayle paused. “…marine biology doesn’t seem like such a priority.”

“Marine biology?”

“Parents.” Gayle held her hand up like she was displaying some imaginary report card. “Parents see you’ve taken a few extracurricular science courses and assume that you want to spend your whole life poking dead octopuses for a living. Cue three years of having colleges recommended to you. I guess I didn’t really know what I wanted to do before I kicked down a wall and discovered I could punch people really, really hard.”

“Why not go back to school?”

Gayle’s expression wasn’t as painful as before. She looked as if she’d discovered she’s contracted an ear infection, rather than cancer. “Just seems a little late for me. I have so much pointless ******** hanging up on my walls that there wouldn’t be room for a college degree. Even if I wanted—considered it, I still don’t know what I would major in.”

“You’re never too old for school.” Gayle thought she could hear the French accent slipping back in. “I was twenty-six before I earned my Bachelor’s in Nursing.”

“Twenty… how old are you exactly?”

Michelle just smiled, and Gayle could only bring herself to feel irritated with her lover for a fraction of a second before reverting back to post-coital adoration. It might have been Michelle’s power, but if it was, Gayle’s elation was diluting it just a bit, more than enough to keep her lucid. “Ask after the third date,” she said.

“Then I’ll ask you tomorrow.” Gayle bit her lip. “…assuming you’re free on Sundays.”

“I am.”

“Then I will ask you tomorrow.”

“Who was the call from?”

“I thought you were asleep.”

Michelle grinned. “Not asleep enough not to hear it go off.”

“Clever girl. Actually, it was from a closeted cape I scuffled with a few days ago—a super-genius. She had rockets in her legs and lasers in her arms so—” Gayle mimed an explosion with her hand. “—it was kind of fun.”

“She called you?”

“What can I say? I attract a weird crowd.”

“…that isn’t why she called you.”

“Stop being psychic.” Gayle bit her lip. “I just… I kind of feel like I’m at an impasse; like I can choose between something that’s almost normal, and diving headfirst into organized crime and super-weapons.”

“And you don’t want to be a superhero again?”

“I do.” Gayle sat up like she’d been struck, propping herself up on her elbows. “…more than anything. But then I wonder if all that’s past. There aren’t any real supervillains left, and the police do a better job of handling the small stuff than we do. We still can’t legally tap phones.” She nuzzled Michelle’s arm, savoring the smooth texture of her skin. “I just kind of like this here. This normal thing.”

Michelle’s gaze shifted into uncomfortable levels of unreadable. For a moment, she looked at Gayle like a shrink would look at a patient, watching with a thin mask of professionalism as she evaluated the mental case before her. Then the mask peeled apart a sensuous lips parted to say, “You shouldn’t give up Athena.”

“…I kind of didn’t expect that from you.”

“Why not?”

“You’re a nurse. You have practical skills.”

“And you can fly. You punch through walls—” Michelle mimed punching something, carrying that Naïve-Foreign-Girl accent and expression with her as she did, leaving Gayle to contemplate just how much of it she was imagining. “You’re like Superman.”

“Supergirl.”

“Supergirl. You have something that most will only dream of having. It may seem routine to you, but your life is something many people would kill to have. You should be grateful that you are still young, and still have time to be the hero you wish to be.”

“‘Be the here I…’ I don’t know, Michelle. That sounded pretty cliché for a moment.”

“Clichés should be honored.” Michelle craned her head. “What time is it?”

“Seven-something.”

Michelle sat up, and Gayle had to admit, the way the sheets slid off her chest was something to behold. “I need to go.”

“Do you need a ride?”

Michelle made remarkable quick work of her clothes, and was dressed in her rumpled yesterday outfit faster than Gayle would have managed In the same situation. “No thanks,” she said, although it came out as, “Huh han,” thanks to the high heeled shoe she was holding in her mouth as she slipped its opposite on her foot. “No thanks,” she said again, the words comprehensible.

“Are you sure? My bike is still sexy.” Gayle wondered if the words sounded as desperate as she thought they did.

If they did, Michelle let them slide. “No, I need to shower. And change. And—” She made a wide gesture towards her face, which Gayle interpreted as, “I need to make myself look beautiful.”

Gayle nodded, even if she hated to, slipping out of bed and into her fluffy purple bathrobe, reducing the indignity of wandering around her apartment in her underwear to the indignity of wandering around her apartment in a fluffy purple bathrobe. When Michelle wasn’t looking, Gayle turned away, checked her breath, and pretended like she hadn’t.

“Thanks,” she said, unsure if she was supposed to hug, or kiss, or just stand still and look pretty.

“You’re welcome.” Michelle grinned and made the decision for her. They kissed—a long, soft kiss that made Gayle want to wrap her arms around Michelle and hold her tight. “I’ll see you again tomorrow, okay?”

“Okay,” Gayle said, breathless in the wake of the kiss. She walked Michelle to the door, feeling a mix of awkward, sexy, and thirsty for chocolate milk. They exchanged goodbyes, smiles, and subtle cues that the experience definitely wouldn’t be one time only.

Then Gayle was alone in her apartment again, and felt like her legacy was staring down at her from the walls.

Before she could strip down for the shower, her landline rang. She picked it up, mustered her best female-macho, and said, “This is Athena.”

“I know.” Ambiguously Asian woman.

The female-macho voice didn’t last. Gayle shouldn’t have been irritated, especially by the invitation to do superhero work, but calling during pillow-talk? That left the kind of bad taste Gayle couldn’t just wash out, even with a soapy bar of logic. “Is this you calling to gloat after getting away from me? Because I let you get away.”

“I know,” Mina Tanaka said, and it sounded like she meant it. Well, the words sounded genuine. There was always the chance she was covering the mouthpiece and snickering, but during their thirty seconds of contact, Mina hadn’t seemed the type. “I thought I’d give you two you adequate time to finish your business before I called again.”

“…thanks?”

“You’re welcome.”

“…so, I cut you off before.”

“I was going to offer a partnership.”

“Like, superhero team-up?”

“Yes.”

“No thanks. I’m sort of doing the monogamy thing.”

There was silence, as if Mina were trying to figure out whether the words were a joke. “…No,” she said. “A partnership. The investigation of a series of murders. I have my own defenses, but nothing to rival your strength.”

“You want me to be a thug.”

“That was your word, not mine.”

“Right.” Gayle ran a hand through her hair. She was in desperate need of a shower, and the Under the Sheet Olympics of the previous night hadn’t helped the situation. “And you expect me to just, I don’t know, trust you after you pumped a million volts through my chest and mugged me.”

“It was not electrical. It was a concentrated burst of nuclear radiation strong enough to counteract your extreme durability.”

“Nuclear Taser.”

“I took the gun for your protection.”

“You think someone would be able to take it from me?”

“I did.”

Gayle grunted. “Point taken.”

“The weaponry belonged to Professor Neutron. He’s a—”

“I know who he is.” Gayle rubbed her forehead. Professor Neutron was an oldie—a retired MacGyver with a penchant for big guns that shot lightning bolts. Each day with him brought on a new costume, usually accompanied by some retro exoskeleton that looked like it ran on steam. He was an oldie when she was a newbie, and he’d retired soon after she’d made her first public appearance. “What about him?”

“His automated security system went off a few minutes ago.”

“So?”

“He’s dead.”

Gayle’s heart skipped a beat. “Dead?”

“His vitals flat-lined an hour ago.”

Gayle’s brow furrowed, and she opened her mouth as if to speak, but nothing came out. Capes weren’t supposed to die in their labs. They were supposed to go out dramatically, if they went out at all. Climatic battles with supervillains, not death in retirement. “What happened?” she said when she’d recovered her voice.

“I don’t know. I’ve been able to monitor his lifesigns, but not the interior of his laboratory.”

“You know where Professor Neutron’s lab is?”

“Some of us may not join teams, but we are not antisocial.” In the background, it sounded like Mina was doing something else and holding the receiver far from her head. It seemed hard to imagine a MacGyver using anything as simple as a cellphone, but maybe she was a little retro, too. “Meet me in front of the Mannford Suites.”

“…you know where Professor Neutron lives.”

“Yes. Now get dressed. ”

“Dres—do you have a camera in my apartment?” But by the time she’d spoken, the line was dead, and Gayle doubted Mina had hurt any of that. She sat down on the edge of her bed and stared at the phone, wondering how much of what was exchanged was ********. Being offered a partnership by the woman who’d made her feel, well, normal, wasn’t an idea she relished. But Professor Neutron? Dead? Hell, it didn’t matter who was dead—not really—but it was a cape.

A dead cape.

Gayle returned the phone to its base and searched her thoughts for the last cape to die in action since Brooklyn. It might have been a consequence of cutting herself off from the Titans, but she couldn’t think of any. When capes died, they made the front pages. They made CNN. They made the blogs, and internet forums, and ten minutes after their death, there would be a 60 Minutes special with a very sincere looking Anderson Cooper reminding the world that no man is an island.

But a cape dead in his lab without anyone to find him—that made Gayle a certain kind of sad. “What the ****?” she said, even though there was no one around to acknowledge it. Then she got dressed. Mina Tanaka hadn’t specified whether it was casual dress, so she pulled on the kind of tight leather pants any self-respecting biker wanted on their trophy girlfriend, and sauntered out the door.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom