• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

A Return to Sidescrolling

Adventure of Link and the Oracle games are the only Zelda games to feature 2D sidescrolling in the Zelda canon, the OoX games had it in small moderation whereas the dark horse of the series, AoL, had it in abundance, much to everyone's distaste...

But fresh out of a generation where Mario, Kirby, Donkey Kong and even Rayman had more "D sidescrolling games than 3D open world games, is a return to 2D sidescrolling for Zelda always going to be a bad idea because of what AoL started?

With Retro throwing out gold with Donkey Kong Country Returns and Rayman getting a new lease of life by returning to the 2D what is to stop Link having another crack at the sidescrolling, particularly if the helm is given to a developer like Retro to take a shot at? No one calls donkey Kong Country Returns a bad game because of its intense difficulty (difficulty that can be so tough that the game literally asks you if it should do it itself so that you can stop embarrassing yourself). surely with the leaps in technology since AoL a 2D sidescrolling Zelda titles would be both welcomed and a quality product.

What do you think? in a technological age where almost anything is possible in a video game no matter what the genre, would a 2D sidescrolling Zelda game be something you'd like to see again?

Zorth

#Scoundrel
Not necessarily side scrolling but I'd love to see the 2D gameplay in general again, I find them to feel a little more like traditional Zelda and in general better than the 3D games. Plus, removing 3D on a game that's on something advanced as a DS would most likely mean more memory for the console to handle which means a bigger Zelda game for us!

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
I vaguely recall Link's Awakening having a few sidescroller portions in its dungeons as well, but...

A 2D sidescrolling Zelda would be a mess. Zelda fans are typically known as "Nintendo's Blind Sheep", accepting whatever dirtt is thrown into their scrap bowl. However, even with the blind sheep mentality in mind, I think a ton of people would be severely disappointed that a 2D sidescroller--the likes of which will definitely not make the most of the hardware--would be released in this day and age. Me, though, I think I would be a bit skeptical about a sidescroller.

Y'see, the major problem is that the game would need tons of playability and replayability. There need to be incentives, options and the like. AoL is a very tough game by Zelda standards and its difficulty turns me off. However, overcuming the worst of enemies always leaves a great feeling in my heart, and that feeling is incentive enough to continue playing at times. A 2D Zelda game in the present day would need far much more than incredible difficulty, though. We would need nonlinearity to a great degree, a variety of enemies to satiate the players' needs, and tons of stats among other things.

A 2D sidescrolling Zelda could achieve perfection, or it could totally flop. Just depends on Nintendo's take on it, really!

A Link In Time

To Overcome Harder Challenges
ZD Legend
Yes, I'd like a return to side scrolling. There are so many possibilities Nintendo could delve into with a future installment. I'm a fan of 2D games in general and believe a change in pace would only help. If concerns about length are worrisome, Nintendo should take a page from its own Super Mario franchise and include challenges like in New Super Mario Bros. U.

Rayman is definitely the epitome of traditional platformers this generation and Rayman Legends looks to be a fantastic follow up experience. One of the most disliked aspects of The Adventure of Link is its excruciating difficulty. Rayman interestingly bypasses this problem with numerous checkpoints and a dearth of life allowing players to return to the last save point if the fail. The newer games are also ludicrously creative with music, animals to ride on, and more in play, a note a future sidescrolling Zelda should emulate if ever released.

It'd be fascinating to experience with art style-a staple of the series-in setting a distinct tone as in the downloadable adventure Limbo. Skyward Sword already portrayed Link as a more vulnerable character with the shield meter and stamina gauge. This would be another step in that direction.

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
No...sidescrolling is vastly inferior to real 3D gaming. Also, you missed LA.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
No...sidescrolling is vastly inferior to real 3D gaming. Also, you missed LA.

And what makes sidescrolling inferior to three dimensions? You'd have to expound upon this; I have found many sidescrolling games that are much more engrossing than the strongest of three dimensional games! D:

If Nintendo took a serious crack at a 2D Zelda, I'd love to see them incorporate a quasi-3D world, where you can sense that you are travaling in more than just 2 directions. Parts of the Paper Mario series come to mind in that regard.

If it was done, it has to be done seriously, but also needs to avoid being a Metroidvania style game.

DarkestLink, the last 3 Mario titles that I've really enjoyed have all been 2D (the New series) where the more 3D games have felt really bland (Sunshine, both Galaxy's, and 3D Land, all good, but not great IMO). 2D is more favorable from both a gameplay perspective and a sharing perspective (casuals tend to be more willing to watch/play a more 'core' game if it's 2D).

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
And what makes sidescrolling inferior to three dimensions? You'd have to expound upon this; I have found many sidescrolling games that are much more engrossing than the strongest of three dimensional games! D:

...Nope. It just is.

(It's a preference)

That game had some sidescrolling gameplay, wasn't purely based on it.

Neither was OoX

Sir Quaffler

May we meet again
Nope. Games like Mario and Donkey Kong in particular excel in the 2D sidescrolling arena; it's what they're the best at. However, that is not Zelda's strong suit; rather, Zelda is best when set in a large open world (whether it be 2D or 3D - I'm more in favor of the 3D realms but games like ALttP and LA are fun in their own right). In my opinion you'd be limiting the scope of the adventure for no real reason. Games that incorporate sidescrolling generally rely on the challenge of traversing the level itself for the challenge, which is faster-paced and not particularly taxing on the mind (which is something I always look forward to in Zelda games).

2D might work scene 2.5D perspective , technology and 2D style has evolved seance the release of AOL. however a few questions do come into mind like the hub world, i dont like the random RPG style of unseen enemys randomly attacking you, maby something like paper mario were you can see the enemys and you can fight their as a normal Zelda game. or could it be the same style of AOL? over top perspective then to to 2D when in towns or dungeons? Cause a 2DHub world will not work like on the 2D mario games, Zelda fans like the exploration so having link traveling on a path like in NSMBW/U wont work. this would be a challenge for Nintendo.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom