• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

General Zelda A More Vulnerable Link

So after playing through the Eldin Volcano's Song of Hero section and watching Iron Man 3, I have to ask the community how you would feel about a section in a future Zelda game that featured a vulnerable Link. You would lose your sword and shield and have to make strategic decisions as you progressed through the temple.

It seems to me that the Hero of any Zelda game shouldn't be defined by the Master Sword and Hylian Shield. Having to think on your feet learn the true meaning of power, courage, and wisdom.

I am sorry I did not word it as best I could, but how would you feel?

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Sounds like what they wanted to do with Eldin Volcano's SotH section...no.

Instead of stripping him of his equipment, they shoudl just power Link down. Stop letting him abuse OMA. Stop giving him all of these abilities; just give him barebones equipment and let him have at it.

Curmudgeon

default setting: sarcastic prick
First trip through the Forsaken Fortress in TWW. I hated it. Sneaking around in barrels trying avoid moblins. Undignified.

Sounds like what they wanted to do with Eldin Volcano's SotH section...no.

Instead of stripping him of his equipment, they shoudl just power Link down. Stop letting him abuse OMA. Stop giving him all of these abilities; just give him barebones equipment and let him have at it.

Of course there has to be a balance between pleasing the player and challenging them. Giving crappy equipment seems to tip the scales unfavorably.

Sure, a chance where Link loses the Master Sword and has to get it back with his own skills and other weapons isn't a bad thing. It actually does show greater courage.

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
No. I prefer combat stealth sections. I can't stand the non combat ones.

I think Link needs to concentrate on being more hardcore rather than vulnerable. the Eldin section in SS was more of a chore than anything else. If they can make Link vulnerable properly then fine but i dont think there is a correct way to do it and stripping him of his weapons is just a generic move and doesn't enhance any feelings of helplessness. Oracle of Ages did this same thing and again it was a chore. SS took your items away in the Silent Realms, but you don't feel vulnerable as a character playing without weapons, instead, at least for me, it makes you realise how shallow the gameplay can be.

find an interesting way to make Link feel powerless and desperate and i'll gladly play it and give it attention but until then i dont think Link suits the vulnerable walk of life.

DarkestLink

Eh I'd disagree. The Eldin part had more difficulty than Foresaken Fortress...but man, it really did drag....

I hated what they did with Eldin Volcano because it became a Forsaken Fortress-esque stealth mission, except without ANY difficulty and it soon became an annoying fetch and backtrack quest. I like the idea of stripping him of his equipment and it's not about avoiding the enemies and getting it back, but rather uniquely fighting enemies or doing sneak attacks. Although it's not very Zelda-like, so I'm not sure they could make it work. Maybe it would work better in a Tom Clancey game or something.

No, look. I was inspired by the Eldin Volcano thing but don't want the same thing. Of course stripping him of his weapons is a cheap move. I was thinking more along the lines of say the beginning of MM, where you don't know what you're getting into and have to be very smart about moving about.

Shadsie

Sage of Tales
I don't like the stealth parts of the Zelda games much, like the Eldin section... so... no, not like that.

What I would like to see is a portion of the game which calls upon Link to fight while wounded - not low hearts like usual, but with an actual handcap where his sword arm or his shield arm drags, or he has to deal with a limp, or perhaps (if Nintendo is not afraid to show some blood) give him a bleeding wound that depletes your hearts by increment as you fight. This would be a part of the story of the game. The monster or the bandits you've been fighting wound you in a cut scene. The cut-scene after victory would involve Link resting / being cared for by the Impa character, or his companion, or the resident medic character (like Renado in TP).

I remember there being a topic a long time ago regarding a situation speculating about Link being poisoned by a boss that I wrote a scenario for - where Link has to race to get the antidote, and the vision on the game starts going blurry and surreal while Link becomes slower/less responsive to your controls, getting worse as you take longer - then a Game Over if you don't get to the antidote in time.

So, somethhing like that... not so much stealth, not so much a permenant Nerfing of him. Just a temporary / one battle or scenario where he becomes even more of a badass for fighting through pain and handicap - but gets healed right up after the ordeal.

ihateghirahim

The Fierce Deity
Nah, It's generally annoying when you lose your items. I ain't seen Iron Man 3, but I do know that it's enjoyable to watch Link grow and gain experience as he topples dungeons and collects new abilities. Link grows as a hero; while Hyrule or wherever he is is cleansed of evil. The story progresses while your abilities grow. It's charming. To lose all your abilities for a forced and awkward stealth mission is to ruin that charm. Now this can work, (Super Mario Sunshine pulled this kind of level off well) but generally losing all your equipment is something to be avoided in gaming. It just takes all the cool things you've worked on and replaces it with a forced and ultimately annoying sequence like the one in SS.

DarkestLink

I wouldn't mind OoT/MM styled stealth elements returning...but one minor gripe I'd like to see resolved is the lack of reasoning behind their ability to arrest Link. Seriously, what's stopping Link from blasting them with Din's Fire all at once or just massacring them with his sword? Maybe a situation where you're trapped in the confines of an area, thus giving the enemies the power to arrest Link, who can't escape. And, in the end, the goal would probably be to gain a key of some sort to escape from the entrance/exit.

while the Eldin Volcano seemed very forced and annoying to me.

The entire Song of the Hero (as Juicie I believe pointed out) seemed pretty forced overall.

I ain't seen Iron Man 3

Don't bother. It was crap, the worst of the three. I'd explain more but that's off topic.

Now this can work, (Super Mario Sunshine pulled this kind of level off well) but generally losing all your equipment is something to be avoided in gaming. It just takes all the cool things you've worked on and replaces it with a forced and ultimately annoying sequence like the one in SS.

Are we talking about the Fludd-less "secret" sections of the game? I do not see how those were stealth.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Seriously, what's stopping Link from blasting them with Din's Fire all at once or just massacring them with his sword?

He's a good heart. That's the problem with voiceless, clichè characters: there is only one move you can do throughout the entire game. Remember when you shoot the Gerudo with a bow/hookshot? They don't die; they get dizzy stars because they're knocked out.

Talking about that kinda stuff is making me think: if we do get another combat-stealth section, I'd rather it be that if you're spotted then a swarm of enemies get savvy on your location and storm you (think Guardians except no OHKOs).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom