• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

500 Gamestops To Close In 2013

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
GameStop is a horrible place to work for. Their business practices are some of the slimiest I've ever seen or heard of, and they only view gamers as a source of money, rather than people they can sell games to for them to enjoy, so good riddance to those God-awful shops. It's just too bad GameStop has over 4000 stores country-wide. Losing 500 stores isn't going to affect them that much.

Moonstone

embrace the brand new day
It makes sense. Do you know how easy it is to abuse the used game system they have? (It's a free rental for a week if you go to different Gamestops all the time). Some of the stuff that guy says is true as well, but that all depends on the Gamestop you go to.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Seems legit. GameStop is a horrible company, and although I still have a zeal to work there...it truly isn't the ideal place to shop anymore. Most games are available for purchase online, and although you can't resell them...I daresay not being able to resell your purchased games is better than getting 1/40th of the price you paid for it back.

Heard news of this last year, if memory serves. Turns out Gamestop is one of several companies expected to either completely go out of business or shut down several of its units in 2013, due to financial problems and such. It comes as no surprise to me, seeing as how many consumers are going elsewhere to purchase gaming software and consoles—the internet and Gamefly, to name a few. I recall seeing signs of this as far back as 2011 when I used to work there...

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
Huh...wonder where else people would get their games. Not a lot of kids can do it over the internet and GameFly is a major annoyance. I want to OWN games, not rent them 24/7 and pay more than I would just to buy it....

GameStop shutting down would be a great service to gamers everywhere. However, all of those people losing jobs is not a good thing. What is a good thing, is smaller game stores with good reputations can hopefully flourish. There's a game store in Maryland called Power Gamer and they are amazing. There's only 4 Power Gamer stores (or there was last I checked. Could be more now), but they really care about games and customer service.

Terminus

If I was a wizard this wouldn't be happening to me
Hopefully smaller, independent game stores can benefit.

Although I think the bit about the new XBox not playing used games might have factored, beings their whole business is paying the minimal amount of money for games so it isn't technically stealing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom