• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

2014 Golden Key Awards Nomination Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heroine of Time

Rest in peace, Paris Caper...
❧ Site Awards

Best Advice -
Most Devoted Wiki Editor - Odd300, fused_shadows
Most Helpful - A Link In Time
Most Involved -
Judge's Award - A Link In Time

❧ Community Awards

Best Blogger -
Best General Gaming Debater -
Best Mature Discussion Debater -
Best Poster - justac00lguy
Best Thread Starter -
Best Mafia Player - justac00lguy, Pendio
Best Role–Player -
Best Theorist -
Most Active -
Most Active New User - Repentance if we're ignoring that three month thing
Most Knowledgeable in Zelda -
Most Knowledgeable in Pokémon
Most Literate -
Most Reputable -

❧ Personality Awards

Best Comic Relief -
Best Company -
Most Charismatic - LittleGumball
Most Cheerful - Fig
Most Laid Back -
Most Mysterious -
Most Random -
Most Thoughtful -

❧ Creativity Awards

Best Artist -
Best Graphic Artist -
Best Writer -
Best Profile Design -
Best Signature -
Best Username -
Most Improved Artist -
Most Improved Graphic Artist -
Most Improved Writer -
Most Tech Savvy -

I'll add more later. Probably.

Last edited:

Ronin

There you are! You monsters!
Forum Volunteer
The category I want to propose is:

Lifetime Achievement.

That is, for those people who win / are brought up in nominations for a specific category multiple years. Like, people who've won a specific award twice or thrice, after that, maybe among the elder members of the board we ought to do that thing they do at the Oscars when they want to give fresh young directors and actors a chance and just say "Lifetime achievement" for the "elder statesmen" of the craft and have done with it.

Thank you for the suggestion. This is definitely something that would be deliberated next year, but for now I'll put a little bit of input towards it. Winning an award two or three times would literally take years since the GKA regulations prohibit a member from obtaining a specific category consecutively. Therefore, I don't think that the "Lifetime Achievement" award would work well with the amount of awards an elder has won, unless it was somehow tweaked... But rather, nominating them based on the number of years they've been active might produce the desired results in a less partial manner. Again, this will be discussed next year.

Okay, so I'd love to get a Lifetime Achievement in writing. You may poke my ego with a pitchfork now. Other than that, I'm thinking of other elders on the board, like those I mentioned who are the resident stars of theory and debate.

While deciding a "victor" depends entirely on the amount of votes they get, the Golden Key Awards is meant to be an unprejudiced event where the members decide who gets what, respectively. However, in certain categories, there will almost always be someone who sticks out above the rest, and this is why the Event Staff decided to offer up a Judge's Award this year. The "resident stars" are typically chosen first for being well-known or having outstanding talent, but the Judge's Award works in a way to reach out to those who generally go unnoticed, despite their own community contributions. With that in mind, I'd personally prefer "lesser-known" elders to attain some form of recognition additionally, and a Lifetime Achievement award--voted on by the members to differentiate from the JA--might just be what we need in this case.

Anyhow, carry on with the nominations~

Shadsie

Sage of Tales
Alright...

Winning an award two or three times would literally take years since the GKA regulations prohibit a member from obtaining a specific category consecutively.

Okay, so... why are some people in these threads nominating me for "Best Writer" when I have the "Best Writer 2013" right in my sig? I was unclear on this.... Maybe people should know this so they don't throw out votes that cannot be considered.

Jamie

Till the roof comes off, till the lights go out...
trans-pan-demi-ethno-christian-math-autis-genderfluid-cheesecake
A suggestion I would like to add, I don't really understand why people can only be voted for so many times or why you can't vote for yourself or you can't win multiple awards. Is this an award "ceremony" or a middle school soccer league? If I think Person X is the best debater this year, and I think Person X is still the best debater next year, why does someone else have to win? Tom Hanks won back to back Academy Awards but LittleGumball can't be the Best Company on a Zelda forum for 2 years in a row? And what if I think Batman is the Best Mature Discussion Debater, Best Poster, and Most Literate? He can't win one of them because..? I don't even know why. If you think it's unfair for Batman to be better than you at all 3 of these categories, then try to beat him yourself. I certainly wouldn't want to win an award only because someone else wasn't eligible, but actually deserved it. I wouldn't feel like I deserved the award myself and would almost feel a bit pitied. And why can't I vote for myself? I honestly think I've been the Most Active New User.

I took a look at the rules for the Mafia awards and I like them a lot better.

Just a further suggestion by the way, I don't know if you guys do this, but I think it would help if this nomination was a preliminary round, and then there was a voting session where you picked one of the say, top 3 vote-getters. That way, it helps prevent ties from happening and also imagine a situation where I think Big Octo is the best company, but between Kitsu and Batman, I think Kitsu is better (no offense Batman). However, I am the only one to vote for Big Octo so he never really had a chance. 5 people vote for Batman, and only 4 for Kitsu. Well, if I changed my vote from Big Octo to Kitsu, now they will be tied, and my vote actually goes to use. I apologize if you do already have a secondary voting stage and I'm just unaware.

Ronin

There you are! You monsters!
Forum Volunteer
Alright...

Okay, so... why are some people in these threads nominating me for "Best Writer" when I have the "Best Writer 2013" right in my sig? I was unclear on this.... Maybe people should know this so they don't throw out votes that cannot be considered.

Your name was wrapped in parentheses next to that award...meaning that it was telling who won the Best Writer award for 2013. xD My username is also next to the Most Literate and Reputable categories in the OP, as well as a few posts scattered here and there, but nobody is nominating me for those.

A suggestion I would like to add, I don't really understand why people can only be voted for so many times or why you can't vote for yourself or you can't win multiple awards. Is this an award "ceremony" or a middle school soccer league? If I think Person X is the best debater this year, and I think Person X is still the best debater next year, why does someone else have to win? Tom Hanks won back to back Academy Awards but LittleGumball can't be the Best Company on a Zelda forum for 2 years in a row? And what if I think Batman is the Best Mature Discussion Debater, Best Poster, and Most Literate? He can't win one of them because..? I don't even know why. If you think it's unfair for Batman to be better than you at all 3 of these categories, then try to beat him yourself. I certainly wouldn't want to win an award only because someone else wasn't eligible, but actually deserved it. I wouldn't feel like I deserved the award myself and would almost feel a bit pitied. And why can't I vote for myself? I honestly think I've been the Most Active New User.

The reason that people can't be nominated for the same award consecutively is pretty simple: Popularity. Of course the possibility that someone might win the same award several years straight isn't set in stone, but if everyone were able to nominate the same person without any impediments, then what's to say they wouldn't always be nominating their friends, or themselves for that very matter? The entire point of that regulation is to give another member the chance of winning the award, because otherwise it wouldn't be fair if a single member kept on getting the award year after year. Besides, a user such as Batman, to borrow your example, could be eligible for arguably multiple awards, but if he somehow got decided for them all then several members would be left out. Although, given his personality, I think it's safe to say that he wouldn't might sacrificing the recognition.

Just a further suggestion by the way, I don't know if you guys do this, but I think it would help if this nomination was a preliminary round, and then there was a voting session where you picked one of the say, top 3 vote-getters. That way, it helps prevent ties from happening and also imagine a situation where I think Big Octo is the best company, but between Kitsu and Batman, I think Kitsu is better (no offense Batman). However, I am the only one to vote for Big Octo so he never really had a chance. 5 people vote for Batman, and only 4 for Kitsu. Well, if I changed my vote from Big Octo to Kitsu, now they will be tied, and my vote actually goes to use. I apologize if you do already have a secondary voting stage and I'm just unaware.

There is a second (and final) voting round in which the nominees are narrowed down to two or three in each category, respectively, where the members can then see who was voted overall and then select a member from there. Theoretically chances are that Big Octo, Kitsu, and Batman might make it in under the Best Company category, and from there you'll vote alongside the rest of the community to decide who most fits that category this year.

Jamie

Alright, I see the point of view because unlike the Academy Awards or even the Mafia Awards, this could become a lot more of a popularity contest. However, I would like to say in a theoretical world where there was no bias, getting the same award every year or getting every single award is far from unfair. It just means you deserve it. Getting what you deserve is the most fair thing I can imagine. However, I see your point in that with the GKAs, the bias can be quite strong as we don't have such concrete data to go off of like in Mafia Awards.

Mellow Ezlo

Spoony Bard
And why can't I vote for myself? I honestly think I've been the Most Active New User.

No, you haven't.

The description for that particular award specifically states that only members who have joined within the last 3 months are legible for it. You've been here 5. Just thought I'd point that out, because I said the exact same thing at last year's GKAs when people were voting for people who had been on the site for 9 months or more. Looking through the thread, I notice that a lot of people are still ignoring the 3 month rule...

Stitch

AKA Patrick
Since a lot of other people have been ignoring the "only post once" rule I figured that I would put my two cents into this. It doesn't really make much sense of the Most Active New User GKA to have its last 3 months limit, it makes it an extremely exclusive award. Many people have joined in between last year's GKAs and this years GKAs, and since the GKAs are a yearly thing wouldn't it make more sense for New Users to count as users who started within the last year? Because the people who joined within the last year, meaning after the last GKAs and before this GKAs and not literally a year, would be considered new when it came to the GKAs.

Mellow Ezlo

Spoony Bard
No, you haven't.

The description for that particular award specifically states that only members who have joined within the last 3 months are legible for it. You've been here 5. Just thought I'd point that out, because I said the exact same thing at last year's GKAs when people were voting for people who had been on the site for 9 months or more. Looking through the thread, I notice that a lot of people are still ignoring the 3 month rule...

EDIT: I would like to point out that I find that rule kind of unnecessary. As Stitch says below (he posted before I edited), it would make more sense for the "New User" to apply to anybody who has joined between now and last year's GKAs.

CynicalSquid

Swag Master General
You know, all of this stuff could have been brought up in the suggestion thread. Instead you guys decided to spam it and post millions of joke suggestions. Now we are all breaking one of the nomination rules because we are making suggestions in the nomination thread because we didn't utilize the suggestion thread effectively.

Jamie

No, you haven't.

Yeah, that's unfair. There's a GKA every year, so most active new user should be within the last year.

Yeah, that's unfair. There's a GKA every year, so most active new user should be within the last year.
I honestly agree. Besides, why would the criteria have changed for this particular award? Not to call her out, as she didn't have control over it, but I would like to remind you that Atticus, who joined in March 2012, won 2012's GKA for productive newbie. If there all-of-a-sudden is a problem with Repentance's nomination for the same award, then that's stupid. Pretty sure what defined "new user" was, like, six-eight months when we had this argument last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom