• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breath of the Wild 100 Years- A Missed Opportunity

Lozjam

A Cool, Cool Mountain
I think my greatest disappointment with BotW(even though it's easily in my top 3 Zeldas) is the whole 100 years aspect, and how that was such a wasted potential.

I think, they could have easily had a traditional Zelda, a linear adventure within the memories of BotW.

This is in a way so as to see what Hyrule was really like before the Great Calamity, and get to explore things such as a grand Hyrule Castle.

The linear memories could be very sequential, of which you follow the path of Link and Zelda. Instead of just going through a short cutscene, you get to experience what they were like, and actually have character progression.

The sequence can start out with giving the Master Sword, and you get to actually experience through gameplay what that was like. Hell, Link and Zelda even have to go through 3 springs to attempt to unlock Zelda's power. Why not make those into traditional Dungeons? In the vein of SS and TP?

This way, this can both help give much needed background of the champions, other characters, and provide a deep sense of what Hyrule Used to be. Not only that, but it could give a traditional Zelda experience to those that want it. With the true master sword, you wouldn't worry about item durability at all, and they could come up with unique dungeon designs that use Link and Zelda, and even the other champions.

Overall, I think this was a sorely missed opportunity to give 3D Traditional Zelda players a chance for a gameplay experience that they would like. My overall hope is that this is what the DLC covers down the line.

What say you? Do you think that this was a missed opportunity as well?

I say potential DLC

The story as a whole was a missed opportunity. The 100 years definitely stings as to how bare bones it was. But if Sheikah ruled the roost and Hyrule was rife with its tech then wouldnt Hyrule have been all neon blue and sexy at one point?

Showing that and then the calamity when Ganon essentially reverts it back to a field would have really helped the 10,000 and 100 year gaps.

Alas i think Nintendo were too busy working on BoTW's function rather than form. Story is always second to them but they really need to break out of that mentality.

Reactions: Dio

Lozjam

A Cool, Cool Mountain
I say potential DLC

The story as a whole was a missed opportunity. The 100 years definitely stings as to how bare bones it was. But if Sheikah ruled the roost and Hyrule was rife with its tech then wouldnt Hyrule have been all neon blue and sexy at one point?

Showing that and then the calamity when Ganon essentially reverts it back to a field would have really helped the 10,000 and 100 year gaps.

Alas i think Nintendo were too busy working on BoTW's function rather than form. Story is always second to them but they really need to break out of that mentality.
I think what they did, and how they did it, needed a little bit more simple story. That's because they made one of the most intensive Physics engines ever created within a game, and a giant world to within it. BotW is a technical marvel, and a hereby logical stepping point.

Much like how that was the reason why Ocarina of Time was pretty much a re-telling of A Link to the Past.

But, since this engine is created: that leaves them to expand more on what they did, in story. Like how MM had much more of an interesting story than OoT. Breath of the Wild was a crucial first step, and they did create a truly and wholly innovative game that sets a new standard for the genre. Now they can focus on the story, perhaps with the DLC, and for the next Zelda game which will probably come to Switch in 3 years.

I think what they did, and how they did it, needed a little bit more simple story. That's because they made one of the most intensive Physics engines ever created within a game, and a giant world to within it. BotW is a technical marvel, and a hereby logical stepping point.

Much like how that was the reason why Ocarina of Time was pretty much a re-telling of A Link to the Past.

But, since this engine is created: that leaves them to expand more on what they did, in story. Like how MM had much more of an interesting story than OoT. Breath of the Wild was a crucial first step, and they did create a truly and wholly innovative game that sets a new standard for the genre. Now they can focus on the story, perhaps with the DLC, and for the next Zelda game which will probably come to Switch in 3 years.

Three years for the next Zelda?

You my good sir, are very optimisitc.

misskitten

Hello Sweetie!
I personally just feel playing through the story from 100 years past wouldn't give the experience we were meant to have. This was a game all about exploration, to do what you suggest here would strongly diminish the real exploration. However, this would be great for a future game, to give us the physics of BotW, but with a higher emphasis on story. BotW was meant to focus on the gameplay and the freedom for the player to choose where to go and what to do. The next game could instead focus on the story.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom