• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Studio Ghibli

If you like anime and you like movies then watch all the Studio Ghibli movies. all of them are masterpieces, really great. definitely worth your time and you will not regret it.

pyjamas5189

Secretly a cat
Howls moving castle is my favourite! I also like Laputa castle in the sky, the cat returns, spirited away, Totoro the list goes on. I've just bought when Marnie was there but not watched it yet

I literally live under a rock. I haven't even seen Spirited Away. The only Studio Ghibli movie I've seen was Origins: Spirits of the Past, which is basically Studio Ghibli's version of Fern Gully but with reversed gender roles and an implementation of preservation/time-travel set in a post-apocalyptic world.
Origin: Spirit of the past is not a Ghibli movie. it was made by studio Gonzo so unless I am missing something then you have something wrong there.

I've only seen Spirited Away but Howl's Moving Castle and My Neighbour Totoro are pretty popular.
well, if you have seen spirited away then you have seen the best one of the bunch. definitely watch Howl's Moving castle and some of the others like Princess Mononoke.

Howls moving castle is my favourite! I also like Laputa castle in the sky, the cat returns, spirited away, Totoro the list goes on. I've just bought when Marnie was there but not watched it yet
When Marnie was there was really a masterpiece. I saw it several months ago and I was amazed by it. the ending was really great. I liked it so much i am thinking of buying the limited edition bluray that is currently available, and I never buy Blurays

Last edited by a moderator:

DekuNut

I play my drum for you
I admit: I haven't seen lots of Ghibli. With my brother (who's an avid fan of the company) I've seen My Neighbo Tortoro, Kiki's Delivery Service, Spirited Away, and The Wind Rises. While all of them are good, it's the last one I suggest the most. It's about a Japanese airplane designer during World War II, and the trials he had to face over his life. It's a beautifal movie, and at the end it really makes you feel happy, but also sad at the same time. Which makes sense, because originally it was going to be Miyazaki's (the director's) last film before retirement.

Has anyone seen Pom poko the trailer looked funny but I wasn't sure how good it was going to be
Pom Poko is the only Studio Ghibli movie I have not yet watched. it looks kinda strange and I just havent found the time to sit down and finally watch it. I don't know if anyone has seen and can provide some input on whether it's good.

Moonstone

embrace the brand new day
Howl's Moving Castle is easily my favorite, and I've seen nearly all of Studio Ghibli's movies. What I like about their movies is that the stories are engaging enough to watch repeated times without growing stale, at least IMO, and the artwork seems to stand the test of time, never really looking "ugly" even after several decades.

I admit: I haven't seen lots of Ghibli. With my brother (who's an avid fan of the company) I've seen My Neighbo Tortoro, Kiki's Delivery Service, Spirited Away, and The Wind Rises. While all of them are good, it's the last one I suggest the most. It's about a Japanese airplane designer during World War II, and the trials he had to face over his life. It's a beautifal movie, and at the end it really makes you feel happy, but also sad at the same time. Which makes sense, because originally it was going to be Miyazaki's (the director's) last film before retirement.
The wind rises was one of the relatively most recent Ghibli films I saw too. and it really is great, their formula of getting you excited, engaged with the characters, make you feel sad and then happy seems to be working well.

Howl's Moving Castle is easily my favorite, and I've seen nearly all of Studio Ghibli's movies. What I like about their movies is that the stories are engaging enough to watch repeated times without growing stale, at least IMO, and the artwork seems to stand the test of time, never really looking "ugly" even after several decades.
their story is always engaging and original which makes them great. the animation is top notch even the really old movies and with the new Bluray re-release of the old movies they look like new. I recently saw Princess Mononoke in Bluray remastered and you could not tell it was a movie almost 20 years old.

Spamomanospam

Captain Kick-ass
My favorite has to be Mononoke, but also I love some of the older ones from Ghibli. I would absolutely check out Castle in the Sky and Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind. That's anime at its finest. Also recently they did a new adaptation of a children's book called "The Borrowers," and that was pretty good, but not quite the level of perfection the other ones set. It was the first movie by that director, though, the son of Hayao Miyazaki, who did basically everything for Studio Ghibli up to that point. He's an interesting writer/animator/director. He actually doesn't use scripts most of the time. He makes storyboards for how the film should go, and writes that way instead.

My favorite has to be Mononoke, but also I love some of the older ones from Ghibli. I would absolutely check out Castle in the Sky and Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind. That's anime at its finest. Also recently they did a new adaptation of a children's book called "The Borrowers," and that was pretty good, but not quite the level of perfection the other ones set. It was the first movie by that director, though, the son of Hayao Miyazaki, who did basically everything for Studio Ghibli up to that point. He's an interesting writer/animator/director. He actually doesn't use scripts most of the time. He makes storyboards for how the film should go, and writes that way instead.
I have heard of that recently, that there is no script, they simply make the storyboards and the plot develops as they go which is both extremely difficult and amazing.

Mamono101

生きることは痛みを知ること。
Staff member
Has anyone seen Pom poko the trailer looked funny but I wasn't sure how good it was going to be
I've seen Pom Poko, but many years ago. From memory, it's a great film worth checking out with an environmental preservation message.

My top 3 Ghibli films are Tales From Earthsea, Howl's Moving Castle (though I recommend you check out the book by Diana Wynne Jones after, as she's a great fantasy writer) and Grave of the Fireflies. Out of those 3, I'd say Grave of the Fireflies is a must to watch, and is my favourite film from their studio.

I've seen Pom Poko, but many years ago. From memory, it's a great film worth checking out with an environmental preservation message.

My top 3 Ghibli films are Tales From Earthsea, Howl's Moving Castle (though I recommend you check out the book by Diana Wynne Jones after, as she's a great fantasy writer) and Grave of the Fireflies. Out of those 3, I'd say Grave of the Fireflies is a must to watch, and is my favourite film from their studio.
Thank you I would love to read the book, do you know the title if not I can try and look it up but I'm definitely Intrested

Mamono101

生きることは痛みを知ること。
Staff member
Thank you I would love to read the book, do you know the title if not I can try and look it up but I'm definitely Intrested
I do. The title's the same as the movie, and is part of a trilogy.

In order they are:
  1. Howl's Moving Castle
  2. Castle in the Air
  3. House of Many Ways

I do. The title's the same as the movie, and is part of a trilogy.

In order they are:
  1. Howl's Moving Castle
  2. Castle in the Air
  3. House of Many Ways
Awesome I'm going to have to check my local book store for these, I just finished the movie last night and I loved it but I felt like there were some questions left unanswered and I'm hoping the book can kinda fill in the gaps like how exactly did howl swallow a shooting start and then be able to pull out his heart as a fire demon (which kalsiffer [dont know if I spelled that right] was my favorite character) also I'll definitely watch grave of the fireflies next

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom