• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Zoras Evolving Into Rito: Explain It to Me!

Fig

The Altruist
What's happening forum? Hope you are having some fun in the real world! I'm posting on Zelda Dungeon, which is the best way to spend my time!

As we all known (in case you don't, just follow along), Rito are an evolved form of the Zora as a result of The Great Flood! Don't ask how I didn't know that or something to those lines. It's not that I'm confused how they turned into the Rito, I'm confused WHY they evolved into the Rito. As of my knowledge, Zora are water creatures that LIVE in water! So if The Great Flood covered the Kingdom of Hyrule, shouldn't the Zora have no problem with the environmental disaster? That is what makes me so confused!

Call me dumb, an idiot, or a noob (however you want to insult me), but I just don't understand why an entire race has to evolve when they could have lived as they did for future generations of the Zora race! I just want an explanation on why did they evolve instead of not evolving?

Thank you for reading my pondering ideas! It really means a lot to me that people want to take the time and help me out! Forum, Stay Golden and have a great night! :)

As far as i know i would put it down to them being fresh water creatures and they can't deal with the salt water, so when the world flooded they found land and Valoo who resided over them and gave them wings. Thats what i think anyway.

Perhaps when the Postman left Termina at the end of Majoras Mask, he found a nice Zora girl and got busy. He then taught their children the importance of delivering the mail. The Zora then grew accustomed to mail delivery, and after Hyrule was flooded, they had no way of delivering from island to island. That's when they started getting scales from Valoo so that they could fly to the islands to deliver the mail.

Satsy

~~SaturnStorm
Evil was spreading throughout Hyrule and was sunk as a result. I suspect the water wasn't safe for the Zora, even when it expanded. They may have been great swimmers, but they're no good dead. With their Earthly Deity gone into hiding (or dead) as well, there would have been no protection. So no doubt they were picked up by a new Deity who could give them the freedom they had just lost: the ability to go everywhere they so desired without fear.

PokaLink

Pokalink the avaricious
At first this puzzled me also, some say "fresh water to salt water," instead of evolving into flying bird creatures i think it would have been much easier to adapt to the salt water also i thought that they shoudnt have had enough time to evolve between The Great Flood and WW, i finally decided that possiby they werent used to the water and decided to live on the land, and since they had no use for flippers or fins evolved as to get ridd of unnecary skills and gain wings, also they possibly even before the great flood came to the land after the main story of OoT since Jabu Jabu had died went to find a new deity who happened to live on the land, who is of course Valoo, wich would partialy explain why the time distance between the great flood and WW should only be 100 or so years should not have been enough time for them to evolve so fast and why even before the Great Flood were evolving, i meen it had to be a some time between OoT and the great flood, one because in WW we learn there are new sages from some time after Oot, just a thought

Locke

Hegemon
Site Staff
At first this puzzled me also, some say "fresh water to salt water," instead of evolving into flying bird creatures i think it would have been much easier to adapt to the salt water also i thought that they shoudnt have had enough time to evolve between The Great Flood and WW, i finally decided that possiby they werent used to the water and decided to live on the land, and since they had no use for flippers or fins evolved as to get ridd of unnecary skills and gain wings
First, I must point out that they did not "evolve" wings; they were given wings by Valoo.

Speaking purely from an evolutionary standpoint - which I hate doing - fresh water to land is much more likely than fresh water to salt water. Remember that evolution does not happen in individuals. If you are an individual fresh water amphibian and your fresh water suddenly becomes salt water, you can't simply "evolve" a tolerance to salt water. You must leave the water entirely. If you weren't amphibious, you would simply die. Then, as you said, they'd lose the now useless traits.

However, I don't like evolution so I just say the goddesses did it. =P

Oh, and about your last theory... First of all, we have no idea how many years are between OoT and the flood or between the flood and WW. Second, Laruto iirc was killed just prior to the flood, and she was still an amphibious Zora, just like how they appeared in OoT.

As far as i know i would put it down to them being fresh water creatures and they can't deal with the salt water, so when the world flooded they found land and Valoo who resided over them and gave them wings. Thats what i think anyway.

Not true, even though they lived in termina the zora there survived in the ocean. Perhaps they're evolution was due to another component diluting they're water supply.

Batman

Not all those who wander are lost...
Hyrule was hidden under the sea and so to have aquatic creatures crawling about under there would simply make the hiding pointless. Think about Tetra's dream that Ganondorf interprets just before the final battle, "Oceans as far as the eye can see. They are vast seas... None can swim across them... They yield no fish to catch..." The only aquatic creatures who still reside in the sea are the map fishes, who seem to have a knowledge of Hyrule anyway due to their connection with KotRL. Otherwise Hyrule would not have been a secret and Ganon would have found the underwater realm with no trouble at all.

I agree with this. This makes a lot of sense. However, Charles Darwin would be furious! :P

Terminus

If I was a wizard this wouldn't be happening to me
First, I must point out that they did not "evolve" wings; they were given wings by Valoo.

Speaking purely from an evolutionary standpoint - which I hate doing - fresh water to land is much more likely than fresh water to salt water. Remember that evolution does not happen in individuals. If you are an individual fresh water amphibian and your fresh water suddenly becomes salt water, you can't simply "evolve" a tolerance to salt water. You must leave the water entirely. If you weren't amphibious, you would simply die. Then, as you said, they'd lose the now useless traits.

However, I don't like evolution so I just say the goddesses did it. =P

Oh, and about your last theory... First of all, we have no idea how many years are between OoT and the flood or between the flood and WW. Second, Laruto iirc was killed just prior to the flood, and she was still an amphibious Zora, just like how they appeared in OoT.

Aside from diasgreeing with you on evolution, I feel obliged to point tout a logical fallacy. Zoras as we know them are actually Sea Zoras. What's more, in MM, Zora's like in the Great Bay region. On the whole, bays have something to do with oceans. All terrestrial oceans are saltwater, and there is no reason to assume that Hyrule/Termina would be any different.

felipe970421

Mardek Innanu El-Enkidu
Aside from diasgreeing with you on evolution, I feel obliged to point tout a logical fallacy. Zoras as we know them are actually Sea Zoras. What's more, in MM, Zora's like in the Great Bay region. On the whole, bays have something to do with oceans. All terrestrial oceans are saltwater, and there is no reason to assume that Hyrule/Termina would be any different.

Not a single Zora is shown on salt water aside from the zoras at MM, and that is an alternate dimension

MikauIncarnate

Hero of the Zora
I've always thought that Din forced them to evolve or something so they wouldn't be able to return to Hyrule (and lead Ganon there). It seems to make the most sense to me. And even if OoA and OoS are counted, the Zoras in OoT (which is set in HYRULE) are freshwater zoras. It doesn't matter if there are sea zoras anywhere but Hyrule, whether it's an alternate dimension or just another land, because they wouldn't be the ones evolving anyway.

AnimeHat

Humming Swordsman
You remember how the races of Hyrule had to travel to the mountaintops in order to survive the flood? The best way that I can explain it is that the Zoras had to evolve in some way in order to travel there. You could say that the same thing would apply to the Hylians and other such races, but out of all, Zoras were the closest in body structure to birds. After all, I could see how fins transform into wings... Kind of...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom