• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Zoras As Enemies

We already know that Skyward Sword comes very early in the timeline, and that it is going to include some things that were present in the old games, such as the Octoroks on land. Since the Octoroks are on land, Skyward Sword is lacking a water enemy. Maybe they'll put Zoras in the game as enemies like in some of the early games. I think it is a possibility that they will do this because Skyward Sword needs a new water enemy and we already know Skyward Sword will include things that were in the earlier games. What do you guys think about this?

X

XTC

I think that would be interesting. But the enemies from games past LoZ and ALttP, which featured Zora people as enemies had the limitation of them firing magic of some-kind from their mouths and not very many ways to fight them. I think that including them as enemies may be difficult. But would prove to be interesting.

penguinboy82

Nature's troll
Wait, those annoying "things" in the water that shoot magic... Those are Zoras??? Anyways, this is a very interesting idea, and since SS is the start of the timeline, it's very likely.

Locke

Hegemon
Site Staff
Yeah, it's possible. The Zoras were only allied with Hyrule shortly before OoT.
It would be difficult to implement them though, as there is no 3D precedent besides the Neozard afaik. I'm sure if they do manage to include them, they will be innovative and feel like new enemies, but still remind us of the originals.

The only problem I see is that Skyward Sword is close to Ocarina of Time, timeline wise, and they only really become evil at some point after Twilight Princess (I assume), probably due to war, pollution or famine or something. Maybe we'll have feral Zora's (if Hyrule is relatively uncivilised) but I can't see the magical monster versions appearing.

I'm honestly expecting to see several new enemies, especially if Link's main quest has to do with vanquishing the baddies from Hyrule.

Djinn

and Tonic
I never understood why there was such a bold line drawn between npc monsters and npc characters. Link can fight every single moblin, bulblin, poe, and lizardfos without trouble. But when it comes to fighting a member of a civilized tribe, Link is normally not allowed to do the job. Even when you fight Gerudo or Gorons they are normally under some type of control, or Link is not allowed to kill them, only hurt them until they become allies later. Twinrova seems to be the only exception here. Though in every other case we have tribes of Hyrule=good, monster tribes=bad. Obviously not every single last member of a society is going to be perfectly law abiding, or all hordes of evil worth exterminating. So why not have some bad Hylians/Gerudo/Zora/Gorons for Link to fight occasionally? They could be bandits, criminals on the run, or just some individuals that do not care for the Hylian authority.

The Deku of MM do confuse this rule a little bit.

Having good and bad Zora would give them a little more depth than just the water based friends you meet. Then they would be a little less of a cookie cutter fantasy species.

Good point, it would be interesting to see more "bad" species members. The only one that comes to mind with me is Vaati for the Minish. And Ganondorf for the Gerudo, I guess. There are probably more (like Skull Kid, I guess), but all of those are major villains.

A moral gray area would be good too, loners who fight both heroes and villains to their own ends, that sort of thing.

Actually now that I think about it, a seperate tribe of bandit Zora's would be kind of awesome. They would be brilliant pirates when you think about it.

Deku-Jack

The Garo Master
Technically, the Zoras in LoZ are called "River Zoras" and I'm pretty sure they're sort of a "sub-species" and differentiate from the Oot ones.

Djinn

and Tonic
Technically, the Zoras in LoZ are called "River Zoras" and I'm pretty sure they're sort of a "sub-species" and differentiate from the Oot ones.

That was not established until the Oracle series which came out in 2001 and was developed by Capcom. Long after Zoras have appeared as enemies in LoZ, AoL, and LttP. And even then it is still unknown how accurate or accepted that information is to the developers at Nintendo. Although a visually similar species to the original Zora have appeared in ST under the name Geozard. It is unknown if they are related to the Zora of OoT at all.

The Zora and Gorons of OoT were modeled after monsters. And then made into friendly fantasy species for Link to interact with. Although the Oracle games' River/Sea difference did provide a useful explanation.

Deku-Jack

The Garo Master
That was not established until the Oracle series which came out in 2001 and was developed by Capcom. Long after Zoras have appeared as enemies in LoZ, AoL, and LttP. And even then it is still unknown how accurate or accepted that information is to the developers at Nintendo. Although a visually similar species to the original Zora have appeared in ST under the name Geozard. It is unknown if they are related to the Zora of OoT at all.

The Zora and Gorons of OoT were modeled after monsters. And then made into friendly fantasy species for Link to interact with. Although the Oracle games' River/Sea difference did provide a useful explanation.

Yeah, you got me there. That's just how I refer to them anyways, seeing how different they look and act compared to Oot ones.

SavageWizzrobe

Eating Link since 1987
Although the Oracle games' River/Sea difference did provide a useful explanation.

I agree that OoA definitely categorized the sub-species of Zoras into groups of "good" and "bad". Maybe it's possible that we could see both sub-species of Zoras in SS, but I'm not sure how likely that would be. On one hand, we haven't seen the River Zora since 2001, and on the other, River Zoras could easily be included because the enemies in SS greatly resemble their NES counterparts, especially the Octorocks.

As for Zolas, I think they were just the Dark World version of the River Zora in ALttP.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom