• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Spoiler Zoras Aren't Mentioned Anywhere!

I just guessed Zoras (in comparison to Gorons or Human/ Hyrulian ) evolved rather quickly... Parella -> Zora -> Rito :D

yep this pretty much says it
zora though zora live in water so if the earth was covered in water then how come they would have to evolve rito now theirs plenty of water

Does anyone else get reminded of the Zoras when they see the water dragon?

for the Parella theory, I don't think they evolved into the Zoras immediately, they imo evolved into this other species which in turn evolve into the Zoras who evolve into the ritos.

U

ugly

I hate the Parella - Zora evolution theory, because I refuse to believe those crappy creatures share any blood with the elegant Zora race :P If you ask me, Zoras were around during the time of Skyward Sword; they just didn't appear in game. Maybe they're in a part of Hyrule not explored... ZORA'S DOMAIN MAYBE :D haha or maybe they emmigrated to Hyrule from another land...?

Braivety

FPT | Breb
Zoras are my favorite race too! I almost cried when theyre werent any. When I first hard of SS, 2 years before it came out, the first thing i thought was ''what do the zoras look like!?!?!''

well there were parellas and they are the closest to the zora so you shouldn't be that disappointed and i also had a theory that sense ss was the first game in the timeline and there were parellas maybe they could have evolved into the zora this is just my opinion

It's quite simple. They didn't exist yet. No Zoras River = no Zoras. That's a pretty shallow explanation, but it's the correct one.

No. This doesn't make any sense. One, they look nothing like the Zora, unlike how the Zora looked a lot like the Rito. Two, there wouldn't be enough time for that kind of change. Three, the evolution from Zora to Rito was required for them to survive and was due to Valoo, meaning divine intervention was used. The Parella are just a new race that have been retconned into the series, just like the Mogmas. They have no connection to the Zora whatsoever.

The timeline between Skyward Sword and Ocarina of Time is unknown. Thousands of years could have past considering that 2 games plus their backstories and the era of Chaos happened in between. The Zoras look like the Rito thus they must be related is shaken when you consider that King Zora of Ocarina of Time looks nothing like a Rito. In fact he looks more like Parella than the Rito when you look at the face. Divine intervention can happen at any time from anywhere, not just simply happening once by the Wind Waker's gods. The Parella have access of divine power through Faron, the Water Dragon Deity. Not mention that Hyrule Historia did suggest that divine intervention had happened before:

GlitterBerri's Game Translations » Pg. 128 An Adventure Brought by the Wind (Continued)
•The New Appearance of the Kokiri and the Zora

In the Era of the Mighty Ocean, some races the appearance of some races suffered a big change in comparison to the Era of Chaos. The Kokiri turned into the Korok, a race that looks like plants and helps the spirit of the Great Deku Tree to plant trees around the world. The Zora became the so-called Rito, a race that has beaks like birds and grows wings with the scale the spirit Valoo gives them.

Incidentally, the appearance of the Goron race did not change, but they no longer live in a village and wander around the world.

Last edited:
The Zoras are my favorite race, Skyward Sword had all the previous races plus new ones.
But the Zoras didn't even make an appearance.
Yes there were only two Gorons, but there were Gorons.
Only one old race appears in Skyward Sword: The Gorons, which are IMO the most overused race in the series. And I mean overused; I'd like to see less of them and more of something else, or just new races. That said I was pretty happy with Skyward Sword because while it had Gorons, it was only a few (exactly three), and it focused virtually entirely on new races.

Anyway, I don't have much beef with the Zora not showing up, because I like it that the game focused on new races. At the same time, it is a little strange considering that the game was a prequel; you'd think they'd focus a little more on the origins of several species. Regardless, I appreciate it mostly crafting its own unique Hyrule. We need more of that.

But that's the key: You'd think they'd focus more. Focus. Focus. There is zero potentiality for them to have intended the Parella to be the Zora unless they were putting some kind of emphasis on that fact, because otherwise it would be a ridiculously poor design choice. The fact is that there is nothing within Skyward Sword that actually suggests the Parella are the Zora. That's just a fact. All theories to the contrary are completely originated by fans. While that's fine, that's mere speculation and isn't grounded in any kind of factual, theoretical basis. You simply cannot pretend with any degree of authority or certainty that it is true, because it blatantly isn't.

I agree with TheBlueReptile. Skyward Sword seems to loosely suggest that the Parella eventually became the Zora. I don't have much to add to this theory aside from what the game already hints at: They are both aquatic races, they are both sentient, and the have a leader (Faron) who appears to resemble a Zora somewhat, etc. There may have been a need to adapt to a rapidly changing environment, and/or to evolve due to a sudden need to migrate to the north. Additionally, the time span between SS and Ocarina of Time is unknown, but it seems to be large enough to accomodate the evolution of Parella, similar to the undetermined time span between OoT and Wind Waker in the whole Zora→Rito situation. That leads me to think that Faron may have somehow contributed to their transformation as well [using magic?].
When is it suggested? The correlation of a basic element (water) suggests absolutely nothing, because the same logic dictates that the Kikwi, Deku, and Kokiri are all the same. It also dictates that the Gorons, Mogmas, and Subrosians are the same. Tokay are also Zoras, and maybe Anouki are too. Or perhaps the Anouki and Yook are both evolutionary offshoots of the Yetis. Bottom line: You're claiming a suggestion out of nothing. The same applies to your claim of sentience, and the notion that Faron resembling a Zora (which she honestly really doesn't) doesn't help the argument.

They appeared to have no fighting ability in SS, and their small, frail bodies would have sustained damaged from even weak attacks.
That's not true at all. We don't know much of anything about Parella anatomy, but one thing about boneless creatures is they're not always frail. Bones can break, but boneless creatures don't have that problem. Octopuses are boneless but have brutally powerful muscle, and some jellyfish (which the Parella resemble) have deadly stings.

If Occam's Razor means nothing to you, that's fine. But it's not a cop-out explanation. It's very logical reasoning in this scenario, as well as in Zelda in general. (Btw, I used to think it was a terrible way of thinking, too. Then I realized it wasn't.)
^ Mm. You can decide not to follow Occam's Razor if you want (and I don't use it all the time myself), but the fact is that saying the Parella are the Zora is a complete assumption, and there is no factual basis for it. Occam's Razor dictates making as few assumptions as possible, but this is beyond that: The entire notion is an assumption. Without that assumption this wouldn't even be a discussion. And you're free to have whatever speculative ideas you want... just don't pretend it's any kind of actual theory. Theories require factual basis.

I like your reasoning here. It's the one thing that has continuously kept doubt in my mind. Yet in considering the ramifications of this we leave too many open ends. What happened to the Parella? Where did the Zora come from, and why do they have such a strong connection to the Hyrulean Royal Family? The change of deity from SS to OoT certainly doesn't help my cause, but there's just too much to like about the Parella-to-Zora theory.
I think you summed this up yourself, actually. "Too much to like". Liking it has nothing to do with it being true. In fact most of my complaints about Skyward Sword are in this vein: For a prequel, it sure didn't offer any elaboration or explanation where it needed to. That doesn't mean all our wishful thinking or what would have been awesome forms some kind of actual fact. That's delusional. The absent explanations you bring up are present throughout the series in many other situations; they have no bearing on any perceived or desired connection between the Parella and Zora.

Divine intervention can happen at any time from anywhere, not just simply happening once by the Wind Waker's gods.
Of course. But that's borderline historian's fallacy; without the direct reference from Laruto saying that Medli was her descendant, and without the direct confirmation from Nintendo that the Rito are the Zora, that theory would still be crap, and would be debated exactly like this. So where is the direct confirmation? Where is the direct implication? There isn't any. You're pulling an entire conclusion out of zero implications.

You also completely misread that quote, "In the Era of the Mighty Ocean, some races the appearance of some races suffered a big change in comparison to the Era of Chaos."

They're saying that the change from Zora to Rito and Kokiri to Korok was a big change in comparison to the changes they would have gone through in the Era of Chaos. That does not reference the races in Skyward Sword, nor references those changes as physical; what it's referring to is never addressed. You're stretching the quote to your own argument.

Last edited:
Axle the Beast said:
But that's the key: You'd think they'd focus more. Focus. Focus. There is zero potentiality for them to have intended the Parella to be the Zora unless they were putting some kind of emphasis on that fact, because otherwise it would be a ridiculously poor design choice. The fact is that there is nothing within Skyward Sword that actually suggests the Parella are the Zora. That's just a fact. All theories to the contrary are completely originated by fans. While that's fine, that's mere speculation and isn't grounded in any kind of factual, theoretical basis. You simply cannot pretend with any degree of authority or certainty that it is true, because it blatantly isn't.

While there is no official confirmation that the Parella are precursors to the Zora as you maintained, fans have gathered substantial evidence supporting the claim that they are especially on the basis of physical appearance. This segment seemed a bit superfluous to the thread don't you think, Axle? :hmm:

Axle the Beast said:
When is it suggested? The correlation of a basic element (water) suggests absolutely nothing, because the same logic dictates that the Kikwi, Deku, and Kokiri are all the same. It also dictates that the Gorons, Mogmas, and Subrosians are the same. Tokay are also Zoras, and maybe Anouki are too. Or perhaps the Anouki and Yook are both evolutionary offshoots of the Yetis. Bottom line: You're claiming a suggestion out of nothing. The same applies to your claim of sentience, and the notion that Faron resembling a Zora (which she honestly really doesn't) doesn't help the argument.

You fail to take into account the fact that the pairings you mention bear little to no physical resemblance to each other. Also, some of the races you mentioned can't be a possible evolution of another die to existing on separate branches of the timeline as dictated by the Hyrule Historia. The Zora and Parella are a rather logical pairing as mentioned earlier.

While there is no official confirmation that the Parella are precursors to the Zora as you maintained, fans have gathered substantial evidence supporting the claim that they are especially on the basis of physical appearance. This segment seemed a bit superfluous to the thread don't you think, Axle? :hmm:
Not any more so than this entire discussion has been. I actually agree that the Parella/Zora speculation is an obnoxious tangent from the original topic, but it's clearly been deemed acceptable by this point. With that in mind, no, me countering the notion is not superfluous in any sense.

There isn't "substantial evidence". Saying they look a little similar is not major theoretical proof, and the fact remains that they don't look anything alike at all, and are based on wildly different taxonomies. All you have is "they live in the water".

You fail to take into account the fact that the pairings you mention bear little to no physical resemblance to each other. Also, some of the races you mentioned can't be a possible evolution of another die to existing on separate branches of the timeline as dictated by the Hyrule Historia. The Zora and Parella are a rather logical pairing as mentioned earlier.
I fail to take it into account because it's irrelevant to the statement I was replying to; I was just saying the elemental correlation is meaningless. That said, they bear plenty of resemblance to one another. The Koroks and Deku have strong physical similarities, especially in body structure, and given that Kikwi are part flesh and part plant, they do too. The Gorons and Mogmas are not especially different physically, but certainly there's no basis to say the Subrosians aren't, because no one knows what they look like. Best yet, the Tokay looks strongly like the Zora in numerous respects, and the Anouki and Yook basically look like Yeti.

Either way, I was making a point, not proposing an actual theory. That's obvious, considering I believe the whole debate to be nonsensical.

even if parellas WERE to evolve into zoras, there weren't much of them either. i hardly talked to any of them to get interested into their culture and whatnot because i hated the swimming aspect of the game. -___-

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom