• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breath of the Wild ZI Says Zelda U Will Drop Motion Controls!

Mercedes

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Axle the Beast said:
The thing about that is that Nintendo has intentionally included the Wii Motion Plus remotes in their advertising with the Wii U. The system being compatible with the old Wiimote was an intentional selling point, and all of their advertisements in the beginning showed that it could use both, even in tandem. It's not really the same case as with previous systems; they've clearly indicated they want people to use both. It's more about controller diversity than anything else with the Wii U, from what I've seen; GamePad, Wii Motion Plus, Pro Controller. Pikmin 3, also, has been designed to use Wii Motion Plus as its default controller, although it's compatible with other ones.

They did show they wanted players to use both, that's true, but at the same time the Gamepad was also at the forefront as the default and definitive way to play your games, not the Wii Remote. It was advertised to such a degree that it confused the average consumer if the Wii U was a new console or simply an add-on for the Wii. If Nintendo were serious about supporting the Wii Remote, we'd have it as the default controller, it'd probably be even more improved than what it is now, but we do not. I don't think it'd be a fruitful endeavour, on a brand new console Nintendo are trying to market as the best way to play videogames, to suddenly use a previous console's technology. All that bigging up of the Gamepad would suddenly look a bit silly if they had one of their flagship franchises suddenly back-track and use the Wii Remote.

And, as a Zelda title, you'd expect it to use all the Wii U's features, as a sort of showcase. I at least would expect that. So, off-TV play, playing the game on our Gamepad, a feature that was touted as a defining feature the Wii U was capable of. Can we expect that? We probably can, right? And if so, that would mean we can't use Wii remotes to control the game. We can't point our Wii remotes at the screen, and so therefore it'd need default control schemes in-built for this situation. That's a given. Due to that, it doesn't seem like Motion controls would be the default control scheme, if anything it would be secondary, and they'd be spending a damn lot of money on the development and implementation of a secondary control scheme that not every Wii U user could enjoy, and many likely won't. Today's industry can't really afford to do something like that. It's why Microsoft bundled Kinect 2 with the Xbox One. Developers know 100% of the fanbase have it, and so it makes Kinect-integrated features a more fruitful endeavour, without risking it being a complete waste.

And Pikmin 3 isn't too good of example. It was initially in development for the Wii. If it had begun development as a Wii U title, we don't know if it'd still use Wii Remotes. In an interview with Polygon, Miyamoto was positive about both the Wiimote controls and the benefits of the Gamepad. But, seems to me it's like Twilight Princess. Since that was in development for GC too, it had both in the Wii title, but SS dropped it having been made purely for Wii. And TP suffered because of it.

The reason there's some serious likelihood of it continuing to use the motion controls is the fact that Nintendo has in the past indicated that they pretty much love this style and think it really suits Zelda. It certainly helps enhance the fantasy of an adventure game for those who didn't struggle with "responsiveness".

That is true. But then the game will need to ship with a Wii Remote then? A Wii U doesn't come with Wiimotes, and I'm sure they won't leave their killer app stranded for people who don't have such control schemes. Then the argument comes they could do a synergy of both but the work and, more importantly, money required to practically build 1 and 1/2 games, as motion control input would require a completely different field of operation than the Gamepad would require and they'd be building it for scratch, as well as needing to balance every elements of the game so not one control scheme is the more superior to the other, it just seems like a lot of work for little reward when a lot of the fanbase still harped back for wanting just standard Zelda controls. On a purely technical stand-point, it'd be very difficult too.

Realistically, I just don't see it happening. I would have liked to see more Zelda with motion controls, but, meh. We still don't know what it'll use, but if I had to favour one control scheme, I'd go with the Gamepad. Nintendo could push the boat out with Nintendo and do both, if any game will do something like that it'd be Zelda, but I'm with you in that either control scheme would be good. It's Zelda.

Last edited:

Mangachick14

Nerdy and Proud
Honestly, I've never been big on motion controls. I mean, I don't hate them as much as some other people do, but I kinda prefer to just press buttons instead of wildly flailing my arms to get Link to swing his sword. But really, I'm not entirely sure how they could have both motion controls and utilize the gamepad together, so I imagine whatever we do end up getting, it'll be one or the other.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
Honestly, I've never been big on motion controls. I mean, I don't hate them as much as some other people do, but I kinda prefer to just press buttons instead of wildly flailing my arms to get Link to swing his sword. But really, I'm not entirely sure how they could have both motion controls and utilize the gamepad together, so I imagine whatever we do end up getting, it'll be one or the other.

As I've said before, they don't have to be used in tandem with each other. Many other Wii U games, such as New Super Mario Bros. U, Pikmin 3, Super Mario 3D World, Mario Kart 8, Super Smash Bros., and probably Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (no clue on "X") are all opting for compatibility with all three controllers available for the console. Even Black Ops 2 allowed this, and that's a third party game.

Zelda could easily do the same thing.

Fig

The Altruist
One can really hope that the motion controls will be removed from future Zelda games. Sure it was kiind of clunky to use the Wii motion controls in Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword, but it also allowed us fans to be given this amazing opportunity to enjoy the game mechanics of the motion controls. All we can do as fans is wait for Nintendo to official state if the motion controls will stay or be eliminated.

I don't think the quote is any real confirmation at this point. It just means Nintendo is waiting and observing. Previously, they've said at different times that they "couldn't go back" from motion controls, and that they were somewhat doubtful motion controls would return because of some negative feedback. So really, it's a coin toss at this point.

At any rate, I hope motion controls don't disappear for good, since there were many (including me) who loved them. My world wouldn't end if they did disappear, but it's like watching an animal species go extinct. I fully agree with JuicieJ that including motion controls as an optional control scheme is an awesome little idea. I hear arguments that this would require big bucks and a boatload more development time. I disagree. I myself wasn't too keen on Skyward Sword throwing motion controls into almost everything (swimming? Really?), and I know many others feel the same way. Now let's go back and look at games like Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition or Metroid Prime 3: Corruption. Did they have pervasive use of motion controls? Yes. Were those motion controls used for everything? No, they weren't (though RE4 leans more in that direction than MP3). You basically had shooting, stabbing, and a small handful of rare object manipulation procedures. Not everything was dictated by it.

Now translate this to modern Zelda. Axle once made a video about how Zelda U could use an in-depth combat scheme reminiscent of Skyward Sword using the analog sticks. Imagine this is the primary control scheme - whether with the GamePad or Classic Controller, it doesn't really matter. To emulate it, you can also use the Wii MotionPlus to get a bit more into character when you attack. Instead of affecting so many things as per Skyward Sword, these controls are basically limited to the sword and ranged weapons. Do you need two more years and 50% more funding to pull that off? I doubt it. You'd need more time and cash, but not that drastically.

I wouldn't mind motion controls being left out of Zelda Wii U. Ever since the Wii U's tablet controller was unveiled, I sort of doubted that it would use the Wii Remote. Major first party games should take advantage of a console's prominent features. Motion controls simply are not at the forefront anymore with the Wii U. For better or worse, Nintendo has taken a different path with it's first HD system. A second screen and touchpad controls are what defines the Wii U experience. At least that's what Nintendo wants people to think.

Foregoing motion controls and returning to a more traditional control scheme won't be a major step back for the Zelda series. Even if motion controls for items and swordplay were fun in Skyward Sword, they weren't an overwhelming advancement over what had come before. There was nothing wrong with the controls of 3D Zelda games released before the Wii. They were practical, fun, engaging and functional in every way. In fact, I'd say they still offer some advantages over motion controls. I'll always consider the Game Cube version of Twilight Princess superior to the Wii version mainly because I prefer its traditional controls. Although Skyward Sword's use of the Wii Motion Plus was a huge improvement over the last minute tacked on motion support for Twilight Princess's Wii port, I still don't think it was good enough to replace buttons forever.

Nintendo using a modification of Wind Waker's controls for Zelda Wii U cannot mean anything bad for the game. Wind Waker's controls are pretty much a perfection of the 3D Zelda experience introduced by Ocarina of Time. As much as I loved Skyward Sword, I understand motion controls aren't for everybody. Early on they seemed to be the clear path of gaming's evolution, an innovation just as important as the original joystick. However, after years of gimmicks and poor implementations of the concept, gamers have seemingly rejected them in favor of buttons and sticks. Motion gaming simply didn't catch on the way people thought it would. the disdain for Microsoft's Kinect and complete disinterest for Sony's Move controller are evidence of this.

If ditching motion controls will make Zelda Wii U a more popular game, I'm willing to see the bulk of them go. I'd only really be sad to go back to aiming the bow and clawshot manually with a control stick. However, I think it's more than likely we won't have to. Even if Nintendo can't replicate Skyward Sword's sword combat on the Wii U gamepad, lining up arrow shots should be well within its capabilities.

If anything, stepping away from motion control now will benefit Skyward Sword the most. It's motion based sword combat will cement it as a compelling entry in the franchise. People will appreciate it more as a unique game, rather than the first in a long line of motion-based Zelda adventures.

Last edited:

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Even if motion controls for items and swordplay were fun in Skyward Sword, they weren't an overwhelming advancement over what had come before.

My opinion on this - and it's probably unpopular and demonized in many corners of the Internet - is that the motion controls weren't in any way an advancement, they were just something different. What I mean to say is that they just changed HOW we played Zelda, not WHAT we played in Zelda. Yes, there was now 8 direction swinging (although that existed in OoT/MM, it just wasn't a factor regarding combat). Yes, there's that puzzlenemy concept. Yes, Shield Bashing is op. But, at the core, enemies are still laughingstocks just waiting to be mauled, especially with that "run up and defend" AI that was tacked onto them. It didn't make Zelda any easier or any harder, it was just a control scheme change.

Now, with that, I would be glad if motion controls were outright removed. There are multiple reasons, but my top two are the following: motion controls are a pain, and they necessitate either a watered down experience or a motion control experience.

Pain
Many people will claim that I am not playing the game right, but anything with motion controls is simply a pain to me. The Wiimote grip is not conducive to long hours of play, and that is typically how I play my games on freedays: long sessions with no breaks. I'm not obsessive with games, but I do love to enjoy them for longer than 10-20 minutes without having to deal with pain. After all, it's entertainment, not enterPAINment. :lel:

Experience
Many people will disagree with me on this front. But I'll let you know this: motion and buttons are two totally different fronts. Motion in a shooting environment - like computer mouse - has so much more precision and will always give you an advantage. However, there are numerous other fronts such as fighters, adventure games, and racing games where motion and mice simply do not beat the traditional controller out.

And this is true with Zelda. If you want to make full use of a feature regarding motion controls, you have to either water the experience down so that motion is just changing HOW we play - no advantage or disadvantage ingame from using motion over traditional controller and vice versa - or you would have make a motion control experience separate from the traditional experience, which takes up more time. Either way, you want to impress people will still making full use of a control scheme.

So death to motion controls means: less time spent developing the game, less pain for me, and possibly a fuller experience. I daresay if Skyward Sword were a buttons game, it would've turned out much better since they wouldn't have had to fiddle with motion control and hammering the bugs out.

Cfrock

Keep it strong
How? All of the GamePad's functions that would be available for use would still be kept in tact. The gyro controls, the accellerometer, the touch screen... none of the GamePad's cool features would be restricted just because of motion controls. That's just a bona fide fact, and it's something I've gone over multiple times.

And something you've been wrong about multiple times, too. You neglected to include the Gamepad exclusive features like the microphone, in-built camera, second screen and touch capabilities, as well as the four additional standard buttons and second control stick. All of those are features that the Wiimote and Nunchuck cannot replicate in any way whatsoever. As for things like the gyro and accelerometer you have to take into account the shape and size of the two controllers. The Gamepad is big, wide, and held with two hands. The Wiimote is small, thin, and held with one hand. The range of actions it would feel natural, or even just comfortable, to perform with these two exceptionally different controllers are, well, exceptionally different. The Gamepad, for instance, would not be good for sword-fighting like the Wiimote would. These are the details you always seem to ignore and it's probably because they undermine your point.

The thing about that is that Nintendo has intentionally included the Wii Motion Plus remotes in their advertising with the Wii U. The system being compatible with the old Wiimote was an intentional selling point, and all of their advertisements in the beginning showed that it could use both, even in tandem. It's not really the same case as with previous systems; they've clearly indicated they want people to use both. It's more about controller diversity than anything else with the Wii U, from what I've seen; GamePad, Wii Motion Plus, Pro Controller. Pikmin 3, also, has been designed to use Wii Motion Plus as its default controller, although it's compatible with other ones.

This point comes up a lot and whenever it does I always find myself thinking the same thing: the Wii U does not support two Gamepads at once. Allow me to explain. To support two Gamepads at once there would have to be a sacrifice in latency and gameplay quality as the Wii U would need to stream all of the information and visuals to two separate devices at the same time. This is why Nintendo decided to leave it at one Gamepad per system. One Gamepad per system with no alternate options would mean local multiplayer would be impossible on the Wii U since it would only ever support the use of a single controller at any time. Mercedes made the point earlier that if Nintendo really wanted to keep moving forward with Wiimotes then they wouldn't have made the Gamepad. I agree. So how do they get local multiplayer onto the console? Well, they have no choice but to use the Wiimotes. Since they had decided that backwards compatability was important to them, the system already worked with them and they were cheap to make and most people buying Wii U's will probably own at least one already. It was a bit of a no-brainer really.

Saying that the Wii U supports Wiimotes because Nintendo still believes in The Little Oblong That Couldn't seems quite sentamentalist when you consider the more practical need of them for backwards compatability, the need of them to make local multiplayer possible, and the fact that, as Mercedes put it, there is no "Wii Remote 2". The Wiimote is supported by Wii U because Nintendo had no other choice, not because they think there's still any particular good in it.

The point regarding Pikmin 3 also comes up often and, as it does, so too does the rebuff: Pikmin 3 spent years being developed exclusively for Wii. That is why it uses the Wiimote as its primary control, because it was designed to. The Gamepad options are the tacked on bit that Nintendo themselves admitted were not preferable to the control scheme they had designed for the Wii versions of the original games and for what was until recently a Wii exclusive. Pikmin 3 does not use the Wiimote because Nintendo believe in it but because if it didn't the game would only end up being further delayed as they try to design it around a controller it was never meant to have.

Many other Wii U games, such as New Super Mario Bros. U, Pikmin 3, Super Mario 3D World, Mario Kart 8, Super Smash Bros., and probably Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (no clue on "X") are all opting for compatibility with all three controllers available for the console. Even Black Ops 2 allowed this, and that's a third party game.

This is also another point I have seen often which, unsurprisingly, isn't convincing at all. To more clearly demonstrate the point I'm going to make I will focus on Mario Kart. Let's list every single input for a Mario Kart. You have: Accelerating and selecting menu options (A button); braking/reversing and going back on the menus (B button); item use (L button); drifting and hopping (R button); steering (control stick). That's all you need, four buttons and a stick. This is why a Mario Kart game can use multiple control schemes. A GameCube controller, Wii Classic Controller, Wiimote & Nunchuck, and Wiimote on its own all have at least four buttons and a stick with the exception of the Wiimote alone. However, steering is a simple affair consisting of nothing more than left or right and so, due to this simplicity, can be achieved by tilting the controller.

The same applies to a Smash Bros. title. All you need is A and B for menu navigation and your attacks, a stick (or D-Pad) for directional input, a button for dodging and another for grabbing. That's the full scope of inputs in a game like Smash Bros. and once again we find that the four controllers available for Wii can accomodate these requirements. Notice also how the Wiimote alone does not use its motion functions because the directional input requires more than two directions and it simply cannot handle it.

Now let's look at those Mario titles. What does Mario do, exactly? He runs and he jumps. So for a Mario game to use multiple controllers you only need all of them to have directional input and two buttons. You literally do not need anything else and New Super Mario Bros. U does not use anything else. Super Mario 3D World will no doubt require a separate button for claw-swipes but all available Wii U compatible controllers have at least three buttons and directional input so they will easily be able to cope.

Pikmin 3 I have already discussed and Donkey Kong is in the same boat as Mario because all you need is no more than three buttons and directional input.

This is why you have to keep on telling people these things over and over; because you leave out the crucial details which undermine your point. The examples of games that use multiple controllers are all incredibly simplistic with regard to player inputs and can therefore accomodate a wider range of controller options.

Let's look at an example you conveniently left out of you little 'point-proving' list: Wii U exclusive ZombiU. This game supports three controllers: Gamepad, Wiimote & Nunchuck, and Wii U Pro Controller. The Gamepad is the only option available in the single player portion of the game. The Wiimote and the Pro Controller can only be used in the game's surprisingly fun multiplayer mode. Want to know what you can do with them? Move around (directional input), aim your weapon (one button), and fire your weapon (another button). Both of those controllers only ever use their sticks and three buttons because you use one to pick stuff up aswell. Now, let's look back at that single player, where only the Gamepad can be used. The Gamepad is used to extraordinary effect in ZombiU. It displays a map of your surrounidngs, you use it to pick locks and rip down barricades, you use it as a radar to search for zombies, it's a fast and intuitive inventroy, it displays notes and letters you find in the game world, and most importantly of all it keeps the game going while all of this is happening. True, reading and inventory and map could all be done with buttons and a menu on those other controllers but the game world would pause while you did it, or your view of the television would be severaly blocked. The whole point of why the Gamepad works for a game like ZombiU is because things do not stop. You have to make sure you are safe before you check your supplies. You have to make sure you are alone before you pick a lock. You have to be extra aware of your surroundings because that second screen is intentionally put to the use of distracting you from them, which leaves you vulnerable and makes the game tense.

Without the Gamepad, ZombiU would be nothing. To offer that single player with those controllers which cannot perform those actions of the Gamepad would mean either an option between playing the real game (Gamepad version) or a stripped down, boring game that lost all of what drove the horror (Wiimote/Pro Controller version). The second screen is used as a tool for creating the atmosphere and fright felt throughout the game and it does it excellently. You see, you always think of the Gamepad as a controller in the sense of buttons and inputs and sticks but the Gamepad is so much more. It is something that the Wiimote, the Pro Controller, the keyboard & mouse, the Dualshock, or anything else cannot be. No game available right now demonstrates that as well as ZombiU and the absence of that game from your list shows me that you either do not know what the Gamepad is all about or you do know and left it off because it goes against what you are trying to say.

New Super Mario Bros. U uses the Gamepad's unique features to display the exact same image on the TV and Gamepad itself. You don't need it for a game so simple. That's what is key here; games that are designed to make full use of the Gamepad - the way Zelda should be - are not the same when you take away that second screen or when you take away that touch interface. A Zelda which used multiple controllers would be two separate versions of the same game, one which was the real game as intended, and one which was a version that lacked the heart or the intuitivness of the other. It simply is not worth wasting the time to implement them both when people will end up enjoying the Gamepad version more, not because of a distaste for motion controls, but because the game has been designed from the start with the Gamepad in mind. The Gamepad offers game designers so much more than mere buttons and sticks and it offers too many unique functions (which go beyond the phyisical of what's in your hand) to be accurately matched by anything else. A Zelda could use Gamepad and Wiimote and Pro Controller, oh yes. But that Zelda would be one which does not take any real advantage of the Gamepad, the way New Super Mario Bros. U doesn't, the way Assassin's Creed III doesn't, or the way Lego City: Undercover doesn't. The Wii U lacks games which truly use the Gamepad to its potential. ZombiU is the only one I can even name which does. Everything else is just designed with a standard controller in mind and has some arbitrary Gamepad function thrown in for poops-and-s******s. Zelda should not be one of those. Zelda should do what ZombiU does and show us what the Wii U offers that nothing else does. Zelda cannot do that if it tries to accomodate the Wiimote or Pro Controller in its main game.

This is why no one agrees that Zelda on Wii U should have multiple control schemes. If we had them then we would not be getting the most out of the Gamepad as a direct result. And let's not get all pretentious and pretend that we don't want that to happen for creative reasons; we all want Zelda on Wii U to make full and total use of the Gamepad because we bloomin' well paid hard-earned money for one and we did not spend it to use it the way we do in Mario, which is to say not at all.

Now goodnight, and God bless.

Wow, Cfrock. In spite of me originally holding a differing viewpoint, that actually makes sense. It is nice to see someone thoroughly excavating and showcasing their points to the fullest. (That's not sarcasm, I'm being honest.)

In this light, it's difficult to make a Zelda game which utilizes the Wii U's capabilities as best it should. Even my "simple" solutions would be a hindrance to that, I realize, and including multiple control schemes would, at best, create some very differing game experiences with a good bit more development time.

That said, I still don't want motion controlled Zelda to disappear altogether. Zelda with a GamePad will naturally offer some wildly different play styles, and so do motion controls. Button controls have had years upon years to develop, but motion controls have only had two (somewhat controversial) games to grow in. I don't know about Zelda U using multiple control schemes or motion controls as a primary setup anymore, but I would like to see some Zelda game go back to motion controls eventually, even if it's a spin-off. Think Four Swords, where four players use Wii Remotes and a fifth helps them with the GamePad.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
Cfrock, you've yet again successfully both misinterpreted what I've said and taken it out of context. Given how many times I've gone over this, I would have expected you to remember the exact details of the points I've made, but apparently I was wrong.

Before I elaborate on what I actually meant, I'd like to point out that you seem to like bringing up the microphone and camera the GamePad has, yet you also seem to overlook that these weren't even designed for gameplay use, but to chat with others on the GamePad via Miiverse. Sure, that doesn't mean they can't be used in gameplay, but you should take notice that not even ZombiU, a game you brought up as an example, doesn't do this. The camera is used to zombify your face outside of gameplay. That's it. I don't know about you, but it doesn't seem like anyone is interested in using those two features for their games.

Now, onto my points.

It's very clear that you've forgotten everything I've mentioned in the past when discussing the GamePad's features being used to serve as one of the potential control schemes for Zelda Wii U when all three controllers are made available. I've never once even implied that the GamePad could be swung around like the Wii MotionPlus. On the contrary, I've said that the right analog stick, something you oh-so wrongly said I forgot about, would be used to control the sword. The accelerometer would merely be used for things like the Spin Attack and Ending/Final Blow. I also explicitly mentioned the touch screen, so I have no idea why you would say I didn't. It's right there, clear as day for all to see. And the face buttons? Have you forgotten about items like bottles that could be equipped to them? Not to mention the A button would remain the Action Button.

So what have we learned here today? Oh, yes, we've learned that when addressing topics brought up in the past, one should remember exactly what another has said in order to not call them out on something they never meant. We've also learned to think counterarguments through before making them in order to not have them shoved back in your face because they had no merit. Hopefully these lessons an be applied to future conversations so you don't wind up looking like you don't know what you're talking about.

Goodnight, and God bless.

Mercedes

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
JuicieJ said:
I've never once even implied that the GamePad could be swung around like the Wii MotionPlus. On the contrary, I've said that the right analog stick, something you oh-so wrongly said I forgot about, would be used to control the sword.

You're working under the impression motion controls and anologue stick inputs can correlate with eachother when they really can't, I think you're simplifying and under-playing an extremely important, and limiting, factor in the whole 'use all controllers' argument. I'll try and explain why this simply isn't a practical thing to hope will be achieved, though it is 1am so don't expect any miracles. I need my beauty sleep, you don't look like this by staying up all night!

Consider a D-Pad to be like a processor, and use binary format. In binary, you have 1, or 0. On, or off. Yes, or no. Those are the only options available. A D-Pad has up, or down, or left, or left and up, etc. They're very flat value inputs, but use basic object controller inputs. An anologue stick could be described as a quantum processing algorithm. Quantum processing's application, on paper at least but it's enough for the analogy, uses the same values as binary, 1 and 0, but instead it also includes everything in-between as well. So, 1.25, 0.333353. Every combination of numbers. Relating it back to controls, an anologe stuck has left, it has right, but it has just a bit above right too, it has the entire circle to work with. There's a lot more to it than a D-Pad, a whole lot more. But the important thing is, despite the much greater level of control integrity, it still uses the object controller inputs of the D-Pad. A game will recognize anologue inputs to the same degree as a D-Pad input, or a button press. They go through the same channels despite an anologue stick's greater input range.

And when you look at games like Twilight Princess which incorporated both the controller and the Wii Remote controls, TP still uses the basic input signals even with the motion controls, limited because of the integration of the controller control scheme. When you swing your sword horizontally, the game reads this and orders the object, in this case the playable character, to do a horizontal swing. It's input to action. A controller would recognize you holding left and pressing B, and it would enact the same horizontal swing. So, even though one's a controller and one's motion controls, they still work on the same level. Flat inputs and actions to achieve the same results.

SS' motion controls is in a completely different league and it's just unrealistic and impractical to expect controls such as that to translate to an analogue stick. An anologue stick can be likened to a D-Pad with more buttons. Every single degree it can be tilted could be applied to a button, if we had a controller with an infinite amount of them. This is not the case with SS. Traits of SS' motion controls, like depth perception, are far beyond the capabilities of an anologue stick. It wouldn't work. The motion controls would be a more refined Twilight Princess, rather than refine what Skyward Sword did which, for all intents and purposes, is a step backwards.

And the main argument people have for wanting motion controls is for Nintendo to advance and refine what they did with Skyward Sword and apply it to the Wii U title, which is an admirable thing to want to want. It would be nice. But what you would get is limited motion controls held back because of the Gamepad, mimicking something closer to Twilight Princess than Skyward Sword, which is, I'm sure, not the thing people want to happen.

And then we look at development costs of an already very expensive game, no less. Many games have compatibility across mouse and keyboard and controllers because, like I've said, they use the same input value. Pressing E on a keyboard or A on an Xbox 360 controller both can be defined in the same manner, and a mouse performs functions to a similar degree to the analogue stick, and again can be defined to work in the same manner. It means that a single entity, a 'controller', is made. But this would not be the case for the multiple control formats of Zelda U.

There would be no copy and pasting or relationships between a majority of the controller coding of the game. Nintendo would need to create two entirely new systems for the different types of control, because they won't share input. Now that's expensive, and that's complicated. Nintendo could find a way to have them both share a stage and work together well, and synergise, but then the task of balancing the game for such a synergy comes into play. And I wouldn't want Nintendo to do that. You'd want them to solely focus on the one element of the game. Coupled with the fact the Wii doesn't even have a Wiimote, so, bundle?

And... stuff. Yeah.

TL;DR

Expecting SS' quality of motion controls along with Gamepad controls is un-realistic, and expecting Nintendo to flat-out not use their new controller is also very un-realistic. Therefore, most likely, you will be getting more TP-like motion controls due to input limitations, which is a step-back, and not the reason why people want motion in the first place. Could not be the case but more than likely would be.

The past is the Wii. The future is the Wii U.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Merc. Skyward Sword's Wii MotionPlus uses 8 cardinal directions and a forward thrust. There's no way you can tell me that can't translate to a clickable analog stick. That would be ridiculously simple programming.
Dunno about you but I'm not trading camera control for SS combat. \_(;/)_/

But JJ is right. If I can emulate a Wiimote w/WM+ near perfectly using a controller and horrible coding, it shouldn't be too hard to do with a professional team.

Mercedes

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
It depends on the level of input range. Motion controls themselves aren't so hard if using the same input range. But for example, when you emulate Skyward Sword, using a controller, it isn't the perfect 1:1 motion control swordplay. It plays closer to TP, though much less refined, because the inputs are modified to the base input values an analogue stick uses,

Motion controls themselves are not so difficult to convert to standard controls depending on the complexity. Just aiming, for example. And movements become inputs. But not a higher level like SS'.

I'd like for Ninty to add both. But it's not some easy thing, and, I doubt they'd want to detract from the Gamepad either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom