• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

ZeldaWiki Timeline Section -- The Timeline Wiki

Where do the 2D games go?

• In the Adult timeline

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • In the Child timeline

• Split between both timelines

• In their own timeline/There is only one timeline/Other

• Total voters
L

Lexxi Aileron

THIS TOPIC SERVES THE JOINT PURPOSE OF COLLECTING COMMUNITY DATA FOR THE WIKI. PLEASE ONLY POST IN THIS POLL ON ONE MESSAGE BOARD FOR THE PURPOSE OF ACCURACY.

ZD Timeline Statistics (so far)

2D Adult -
2D Child -
2D Split -
Other -

While the content we have on ZeldaWiki's timeline page is all very good, after a recent review I definitely think it could be much, much better. Considering the scale of the ZeldaWiki project, it surprises me how very little of it is dedicated to being a resource for theorists, particularly hardcore theorists. As such, I am going to be initiating a project of sorts, coming now to ZeldaDungeon, that will compile all topics applicable or integral to the development of timeline theories.

The first step of this project will be to ask theorists to give their personal timeline theories, their principal beliefs that found the theories, and any additional comments regarding series elements that are not game-specific. I must underline what I mean by "principal beliefs" and "not game-specific," and my reasons for instating this guideline.

By "principal beliefs," I refer to those beliefs that are essential to one's timeline. To clarify, I will give a few examples, some of them outdated.

Example 1: Single or split?
Prior to the infamous TP interview, this was one of the biggest points of contention among theorists, and usually the one that determined the scope of most theories. Although some do still hold single timelines, most hold split ones. Single and split would be examples of principal beliefs.

Example 2: 2D games in Adult or Child timeline?
This is one of the more modern schisms with respect to the timeline. Do the 2D games take place after TWW, in a new Hyrule? Or do they take place after TP, with a second invasion of the Sacred Realm?

Example 3: Is OoT the IW, or is the IW a separate event?
This is one of the kingpins of a lot of people’s timelines as well, as it often determines theorists’ views on where the 2D games should be placed. Is OoT still the IW of ALttP, despite the death of OoT Ganon in both known timelines? Or is the IW a separate standalone event taking place some time before ALttP?

By “not game-specific,” I refer to those beliefs that tell us about concepts spanning multiple games, such as whether all or any of the magic mirrors are the same, whether all incarnations of Ganon are revivals, and the nature of the Dark World with respect to the timeline. Only introduce these views as they pertain to your timeline. The question of Ganon specifically is one I would like addressed in all posts.

Do NOT present evidence in these posts to justify your beliefs. This poll exists purely to document what people’s theories are; the questions of justification will be addressed later. I’ll show an example of how I want these to be presented at the end of this post.

Please present your theories as concisely as possible. These theories are all going to be compiled on one page of the Wiki, and so to keep the page as clutter-free as possible I would like to keep all the timeline synopses compact (hence my strict request for no evidence; these theories are all going to be posted verbatim). Also, please include a title for your theory. You do not have to include your name in the title, but it will be added nonetheless to attribute credit to you.

Also, I have included a poll for the purpose of calculating the popularity of particular views by community. This particular poll asks about the placement of the 2D games.

Additional notes: (1) Please, please, please use good grammar and syntax. I'm starting this project because I want to stay involved in timeline discussion, but don't really have time to be hardcore involved. That's why I'm starting a project that is almost entirely based on community input, that is, one that requires pure data entry on my part. Having to edit your theories for grammar and syntactical errors means more time I have to spend on it, which defeats the purpose of the undertaking in the first place. (2) If your timeline is a single timeline, do not be discouraged from posting it or voting on the poll. Please state how you view the relationship between MM, TP, and TWW in your post. (3) I would much appreciate it if no discussion of the timelines posted here took place in this topic. Feel free to make your own thread if you wish to do so. I will not protest, complain to mods, or rent-a-mod if it takes place, but please do not abuse this leniency.

:::​

[template]
Lexxi’s New Hylian Kingdom Theory

OoT/MM-TP
OoT-TWW/PH-LoZ/AoL-OoS/OoA-TMC-FS/FSA-ALttP/LA

• The kingdom of LoZ/AoL is founded on the islands of the Great Sea, made larger and brought together by the Deku Tree and christened with the Triforce’s blessing at the end of AoL.
  • The Master Sword is either found or reforged in OoS/OoA.
  • The Triforce returns to the Sacred Realm after OoS/OoA.
  • The Light Force is a powerful Force Gem introduced after the Triforce leaves the new Hyrule.
  • The Dark Mirror from FSA is the Mirror of Twilight from TP.
  • OoT is the IW of ALttP, and TP’s prolonged wars are the wars told as leading up to the IW.
  • The demon Ganon is one entity throughout the entire series, taking on multiple incarnations over time.
  • The Four Sword is sealed in the Sacred Realm by the maidens after FSA.

I think ALTTP goes into the adult timeline with all the ancient history that we're told in the prologue that seems to be a very vague account of what happens in the end of ocarina of time. I think the 2 original games though go in the child timeline and are the last games in both timelines where link finally finishes off Ganon for good.

My timeline goes like this

The Minish Cap
|
|
|
Ocarina of time

from here my timeline splits into to two diff. ones in occordance with each ending in OT.

Child Link Timeline A

Link warns the Hylians of Ganon's threat and goes in search of navi
|
Majora's mask
|
The seven sages confront Ganon and try to kill him but our unsuccessful and imprison him in the twilight realm. One of them is also mortally wounded in the battle and dies. (TP backstory)
|
Twilight Princess - Link defeats Ganon, the triforce leaves him and his vessel dies.
|
Centuries pass, the current link and zelda die too and the triforce goes back to it's original form and waits for a new owner. The Hylians gain possession of it and it becomes property of the king and is housed in hyrule in a special temple.
|
Oracle of seasons + Oracle of ages - these games appear to take place concurrently with the players ability to start off with whichever one they want. Ganon's essence is ressurrected at the end which is an evil piglike demon via twinrova as the host.
|
On the way back to hyrule via ship link gets stuck in a nasty storm and falls into a state of unconsciousness.
|
Link's Awakening
|
Centuries pass and this link also dies, but Ganon wasn't really killed. He had been building up his power and the master sword was no longer strong enough to finish him. To his amazement he is able to barely survive the battle with link. He bides his time building up his power more and gets a better host so he can fully transfer his spirit over to the hyrulean plane. He sets his sites on Hyrule and is obsessed with gaining the golden power a second time. He invades hyrule killing anyone that gets in his way and is able to make it to the temple that the triforce is housed in. He kills the current king and claims the triforce for himself. But zelda is two steps ahead of him and has already claimed the triforce of wisdom and only the triforce of power is there and the third (courage) lay hidden waiting for the hero of time to reappear and claim it so the spell over the centuries old zelda can be broken. Ganon claims the triforce of power for himself and Zelda sends impa to find someone who can bring ganon down and pulls hers from her body and splits it up and hides the fragments in 8 temples all over hyrule.
|
Legend of Zelda - Ganon has grown immensly powerful and the master sword is nowhere to be found. This is because Ganon having grown so powerful was able to use his dark magic and dispell the magic of the sword which plagued him for so long and breaks it into pieces as his first act back in hyrule. Link can't find anyway to win and without the triforce of courage's power, it looks hopeless. His magic sword which was forged by a wise man and enchanted with a sacred spell seems to be having no effect on Ganon. Then Link remembers he picked up some silver coated arrows and when Ganon is momentarily stunned when link strikes his eyes, lets one fly at his heart and to his amazement it pierces Ganon's skin and reduces him to ashes.
|
Adventure of Link - after the adventure of link the triforce is united for the first time in centuries and sent back to the palace with the other two. Piece is maintained as Ganon's minions are all hunted down and killed and his ashes are utterly destroyed.

Adult Link Timeline B
|
Windwaker - The world is flooded by the goddesses when Ganon gains enough power to break out of the golden land and tries reconquer the world.
|
Phantom Hourglass- (haven't finished it yet though I'm putting it here for now as I'm told it's supposed to be a direct sequel to WW.
|
Four Swords - Vaati returns and it's up to the new link to beat him again
|
Centuries pass and the world slowy drains and a new hyrule is formed over time.
|
A Link to The Past - Ganon is trapped back in the golden land after WW (unless the end of PH says something diff) by the old king of hyrule at the end due to the will of the gods and a near impenetrable seal is put in place to keep him from ever returning to hyrule. He is given the golden land to rule over as before and builds up his power in the dark world. He later becomes strong enough to transfer his spirit over to the light world and possesses agahnim and gets him to the gain the kings trust and imprison the original seven sages descendents in order to break the new impenetrable seal. (note I originally had ALTTP where windwaker now sits and I'm not really that happy with where I've had to stuff it now that windwaker appears to takeplace before it cuz Ganon still retains his original Ganondorf form all throughout)

I think there are 2 ganon's. One for each timeline and as a result of the triforce's power he is immortal. I believe that was his first wish to it and the only way he can die is if A) he is killed as a result of the triforce rejecting him like TP or :cool: if he is utterly destroyed by the power of one of the other fragments. Since he wields the triforce of power this is immensly difficult though and can only be accomplished with silver arrows which seem to be his only true weakness. I also believe him to be a demon as well and capable of leaving his body or transferring his body and soul as one entity to another as a form of possession.

Last edited:
I only have one problem with this. Just because a game is 2D doesnt decide on its own where the game goes into the timeline. Thats almost like making the Zelda series prejudice.

TheManInTheMoon

I've Done Been Ganked!
I only have one problem with this. Just because a game is 2D doesnt decide on its own where the game goes into the timeline. Thats almost like making the Zelda series prejudice.
No, but its is a very good indicator. A majority of theorists will stick every 2D game into one timeline or another. Its not just because they're 2D, it just works out that way.
Also
In the Adult timeline
In the Child timeline
Split between both timelines
In their own timeline/There is only one timeline/Other

No it doesnt just work out that way. ALttP obviously takes place not too long after TP and LoZ and AoL is obviously taking place centuries after TP, TMC could very well be one of the first Zeldas, the Oracles could fit almost anywhere. All the 2D games are not connected. See I base my timeline on a thing called the game's storyline, not its appearance.

TheManInTheMoon

I've Done Been Ganked!
You don't seem to understand that this isn't about how our timelines are created, but evaluating them thereafter.

No it doesnt just work out that way. ALttP obviously takes place not too long after TP and LoZ and AoL is obviously taking place centuries after TP, TMC could very well be one of the first Zeldas, the Oracles could fit almost anywhere. All the 2D games are not connected. See I base my timeline on a thing called the game's storyline, not its appearance.
That theory sticks 2D games in the Child Line, so it would lead to the vote "In the Child timeline".

No it doesnt just work out that way. ALttP obviously takes place not too long after TP

How? TP's backstory doesn't really support ALTTP's at all. for one thing one of the wise men doesn't die in the imprisoning war and the imprisoning war is about trapping ganon in the golden land not the twilight realm. Also there is no way to access the twilight realm after TP with the mirror gone and Ganon is suppossedly killed at the end.

Mases

Lord of the Flies
Administrator
Site Staff
I voted that they are split between because I believe in the 'merged' timeline theory that I posted. (This is incomplete, but I think it's certainly clear as to why the games are placed seperately in the timeline.)

Child: OOT - MM - TP - ??? - OoS - OoA - XXX
Adult: OoT - WW/PH -??? - OoA - Oos - XXX

* Exact placement of LoZ, AoL, and TMC is uncertain
* The Oracle Series bridges the timeline back togethor
* Oracle games happen simultaneously in alternate timelines
* However, they follow eachother, and then combine into a single timeline with the password system to face Ganon.
* XXX is the same game because of the merge.

N

Nathan

I have never revealed my timeline simply to avoid the "flaiming" that entails. However, I just wanted to note that I absolutely hate the format of the timelines on the Wiki. It just looks extremely unattractive and makes me not even want to look at the page.

P

proctorFFVII

I believe that all the 2-D games aka all the ones with Ganon as a pig take place in the child timeline.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom