• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Zeldas you've played (in order)

Oh man this is tough, but I'll try

OoT
Link's Awakening
Majora's Mask
Oracle of Seasons
Oracle of Ages
ALTTP
TP
SS
LOZ
ALBW
WWHD
TFH

And attempts at Zelda II, PH, ST and Minish thrown in throughout.

I should also note that this is way off from order I beat the games in; I was bad and impatient when younger and only finally beat some of the handhelds in the last couple of years via Virtual Console and the wisdom and patience of old(er) age.

CyborgElfStephanie

Just a loser loving Legend of Zelda and anime
Ocarina of Time(My only childhood Zelda game)>Spirit Tracks(Freshman year at High School)>Twilight Princess(Same year, got GameCube later on and now HD)>Skyward Sword(Sophomore Year)>A Link to the Past(On Wii)>A Link Between Worlds(Senior year)>Legend of Zelda(On 3DS and don't remember when I got it)>Triforce Heros(Didn't go far due to bad wifi on my 3DS)>and Wind Waker HD(I don't have the GameCube one)

Ocarina of Time(My only childhood Zelda game)>Spirit Tracks(Freshman year at High School)>Twilight Princess(Same year, got GameCube later on and now HD)>Skyward Sword(Sophomore Year)>A Link to the Past(On Wii)>A Link Between Worlds(Senior year)>Legend of Zelda(On 3DS and don't remember when I got it)>Triforce Heros(Didn't go far due to bad wifi on my 3DS)>and Wind Waker HD(I don't have the GameCube one)
IDK how you remember it so detailed... Anyways, I'm impressed that you seem to have played about one per console, any particular reason why you didn't play Wind Waker in it's time or Phantom Hourglass after Spirit Tracks?

Zachie

Moo
Links Awakening > Oracle of Seasons > Oracle of Ages > Minish Cap > Twilight Princess > Skyward Sword > Phantom Hourglass > Spirit Tracks > A Link Between Worlds > Ocarina of Time 3D > Majoras Mask 3D > Wind Waker HD > Hyrule Warriors > Hyrule Warriors Legends.

Haven't played Zelda I, Zelda II, A Link to the Past.

Will never play: Tri Force Heroes.

CyborgElfStephanie

Just a loser loving Legend of Zelda and anime
IDK how you remember it so detailed... Anyways, I'm impressed that you seem to have played about one per console, any particular reason why you didn't play Wind Waker in it's time or Phantom Hourglass after Spirit Tracks?
I didn't have money for it my family was a bit poor to go on buying games like everyone else does. I only owned the Nintendo 64 as a child with only 5 games for it, because we couldn't go out and buy a GameCube at all.

CrimsonCavalier

Fuzzy Pickles
1. The Legend of Zelda — beaten
2. Link's Awakening — beaten
3. A Link to the Past — beaten
4. Ocarina of Time — beaten
5. Majora's Mask — beaten
6. The Minish Cap — beaten
7. The Wind Waker — beaten
8. One of the Oracle games, don't remember which — never beat, just played for a few minutes
9. Twilight Princess (GCN) — beaten
10. Adventure of Link — never beaten, tried a few times, got frustrated, will try again in the future
11. Skyward Sword — sigh never beaten, never will
12. The Wind Waker HD — beaten

Only two?? Duuuuude...

Majora's Mask (never completed, hated it too much)

I'm curious as to why you hate this game.

Misty

Ronin
I'm curious as to why you hate this game.

Where to begin really?

I found the three day world ends time mechanic infuriating to keep up with and seriously, ridiculously unfun particularly compared to that of OoT.

I cared zero percent about the story or why anything at all was happening. Strange as it sounds given the cataclysmic set up, it felt like a much less grand story than most other Zeldas on this list. Somehow, by it being literally saving the world it lost its fantastic element and just became that much bigger. Sorta like all the preceding transformers movies. It's one of those stories where the theory crafting about the story is way more entertaining than the story ever was in and of itself. Everything in the world felt melodramatic.

I didn't care for the core town's design (Clock Town?) as it felt miserable and maze-like. Didn't make me want to run around in it. Etc.

I found the core mask mechanic to be unique, but unfun. It felt, like the three day time mechanic, to be this needless abstraction that added content and problems without adding any of the fun I would expect.

Closing comments: Majora's Mask feels like a Zelda game where the creators had all these avant-garde ideas in the air when it was being created. They put a lot of them together and then whatever audience they got to play test it was made up of people who both liked weird, experimental for the sake of weird and experimental and really really wanted a chance to call OoT overrated and uninspired. So none of the ideas which were not necessarily bad at inception, never got corrected, edited, fixed, or made fun. Because like most avant-garde projects, the neat experiment is almost never increasing the fun by 100%. It's adding in all this useless periphery and some meta subtext so that something seems to have complexity where really it only has a chaotic mess.

Majora's Mask is an intriguing experimental idea...I just don't want to play it. Why do I hate it? Because I was excited for the follow up to OoT. I liked OoT. I wanted the Spiderman 2 of OoT. Not the Amazing Spiderman of OoT. Now, I acknowledge some of this could potentially be better if I weren't 7-8 when I played. But I never needed to be older to appreciate OoT. I never needed to be older to not find any other Zelda game's mechanics less inherently unfun or stupid.

CrimsonCavalier

Fuzzy Pickles
Where to begin really?

I found the three day world ends time mechanic infuriating to keep up with and seriously, ridiculously unfun particularly compared to that of OoT.

I cared zero percent about the story or why anything at all was happening. Strange as it sounds given the cataclysmic set up, it felt like a much less grand story than most other Zeldas on this list. Somehow, by it being literally saving the world it lost its fantastic element and just became that much bigger. Sorta like all the preceding transformers movies. It's one of those stories where the theory crafting about the story is way more entertaining than the story ever was in and of itself. Everything in the world felt melodramatic.

I didn't care for the core town's design (Clock Town?) as it felt miserable and maze-like. Didn't make me want to run around in it. Etc.

I found the core mask mechanic to be unique, but unfun. It felt, like the three day time mechanic, to be this needless abstraction that added content and problems without adding any of the fun I would expect.

Closing comments: Majora's Mask feels like a Zelda game where the creators had all these avant-garde ideas in the air when it was being created. They put a lot of them together and then whatever audience they got to play test it was made up of people who both liked weird, experimental for the sake of weird and experimental and really really wanted a chance to call OoT overrated and uninspired. So none of the ideas which were not necessarily bad at inception, never got corrected, edited, fixed, or made fun. Because like most avant-garde projects, the neat experiment is almost never increasing the fun by 100%. It's adding in all this useless periphery and some meta subtext so that something seems to have complexity where really it only has a chaotic mess.

Majora's Mask is an intriguing experimental idea...I just don't want to play it. Why do I hate it? Because I was excited for the follow up to OoT. I liked OoT. I wanted the Spiderman 2 of OoT. Not the Amazing Spiderman of OoT. Now, I acknowledge some of this could potentially be better if I weren't 7-8 when I played. But I never needed to be older to appreciate OoT. I never needed to be older to not find any other Zelda game's mechanics less inherently unfun or stupid.

Very interesting. I have to admit, I never got any of that from playing MM. Instead, I always felt a sense of dread and anxiety (in a good way; the kind that makes you want to progress and not sit on your laurels) with the mechanic. I felt the characters were all very "real", with real, everyday problems in addition to the elephant in the room: the moon.

I felt like I needed to save them all. I wanted to save them all; I couldn't live with myself if I let them die. I genuinely felt bad the first few playthroughs when I was unable to save everyone.

But yeah, I do find your comments fascinating. I often look at games and think "Wow, you're taking yourself way too seriously, game," but for some reason MM was never one of them.

Alita the Pun

Dmitri
I'm guessing this is talking about games beaten?

1. Oot
2. Four swords
3. Albw
4. TFH
5.MM

These are just the ones I've beaten, I've played many more.

Kylo Ken

I will finish what Spyro started
1. Ocarina of Time
2. Wind Waker
3. Oracle of Ages
4. Twilight Princess
5. Majora's Mask
6. Link's Awakening
7. Skyward Sword
8. Spirit Tracks
9. A Link Between Worlds
10. Oracle of Seasons
11. The Legend of Zelda
12. Adventure of Link
13. A Link to the Past
14. Triforce Heroes

Time to update this list. With the Zelda games I have played and will soon play.

1. AoL
2. Zelda 1
3. ALTTP
4. LA
5. OOT
6. MM
7. OOS/OOA
8. TP
9. PH
10. WW
11. LCT
12. SS
13. HW
14. MC
15. ST
16. BotW

Misty

Ronin
Very interesting. I have to admit, I never got any of that from playing MM. Instead, I always felt a sense of dread and anxiety (in a good way; the kind that makes you want to progress and not sit on your laurels) with the mechanic. I felt the characters were all very "real", with real, everyday problems in addition to the elephant in the room: the moon.

If TV Series were Zelda Games, Lost would be Majora's Mask. Now, you need to understand, I never finished either. Luckily in the age of internets I know how both wrap up and that's another field where they both seem to feel...like a letdown. I'm even more glad I ever got only halfway through after reading the conclusion and seeing my elder brother get to the end.

I never got that dread and anxiety you mention from it...possibly because even at that age it was first and foremost a game. And games have to be...fun and challenging in a way that feels appropriate. Majora's Mask never felt like it was appropriately difficult in the right way. I never found myself distressed by Dungeons or puzzles. I never found myself struggling with bosses large or mini. I want my games to make me feel like when I'm failing, the problem is in me. That I must be more analytic or fight better or faster or manage my resources better. As the phrase goes, I want to feel like I must "get good". MM simply doesn't give me that because all the flaws I found were in it systemically. The time, the masks, the large and difficult to follow lay out of the town that didn't seem easy to memorize or logically work through.

Then I evaluated it as a story, and while I can sense they want to instill this sense of fear and dread as you say...well, it seems to me there is this very core contradiction at the center of MM that you touch upon. Most of the problems you end up solving are of this very "real" everyday problem petty variety. Now leaving aside for the moment that if I want to solve petty every day problems for thin characters onto which I've cast my own emotions I play the Sims, it just makes absolutely no bleeding sense that I'm spending time on that stuff when THE ****ING MOON IS THREATENING TO DESTROY EVERYTHING! And in order for these problems to function, this denial of the moon falling is the only explanation given. Which is just annoying really. Like, please Mr. Goron, I'll clean your gutters when the Moon isn't falling. Oh, you lost your children, fish lady, we can talk about adoption when the MOON ISN'T GOING TO CRUSH US ALL!

But returning to the point about not wanting to solve stupid and silly problems, I am supposed to be the hero of time. Not the maid, butler, mailman, farmer, arborist, sometimes mechanic, pizza guy of time. I don't want to progress through my real life list of chores, let alone these ludicrously explained and tedious list of chores that apparently must be performed before the MOON FALLS ON US ALL WE DIE SCREAMING.

I felt like I needed to save them all. I wanted to save them all; I couldn't live with myself if I let them die. I genuinely felt bad the first few playthroughs when I was unable to save everyone.

o_O that's both cute and weird to me. Like I understand why a person might feel that way, I just never did. I felt like they were ****ing morons getting in the way of me fixing the objectively more threatening problem. I don't really care if they're depressed or angry and that's why they cannot see the moon. It doesn't make it any less absurd a situation.
They deserve to eat dirt for not helping me unless I help them with their gardening.

Jamie

Till the roof comes off, till the lights go out...
trans-pan-demi-ethno-christian-math-autis-genderfluid-cheesecake
@Misty
You don't have to help anyone. These are optional side quests that just get you items or masks.

Also, they are under the belief at first that the moon is just closer than before. Which is the truth. The moon was never like our moon where it is very far away. It was always close, just slightly closer on day 1. It isn't until day 3 that they realize the moon is truly going to fall on them typically, although throughout the days less and less people are in the town. In fact, on the night of the final day the town is almost completely deserted.

Considering Ive grown up with the series and was born when it began Ive played all of them in order of release barring Four Swords and Four Swords Adventures because i didnt have any friends.

Misty

Ronin
You don't have to help anyone. These are optional side quests that just get you items or masks.

Which would help me save the world, yes? Which in turn is half of my criticism: if the moon were falling on us, you can bet that petty stuff would get put to the side and everyone would give up their masks and items to help the hero solve the moon falling. It's an infuriating premise and the idea one does not have to help them when it is such a significant portion of the potential gameplay seems to me to be a silly one. I like it when the side stuff seems to match or expand upon the main story without rendering it nonsensical. This renders it nonsensical. I'm on a limited time frame and yet there is this bull**** I could deal with and in fact everything about gaming indicates I should do so to get the full experience. And, in fact, when defending the game, it is that sideline bull**** that people point to as for why it is such a great game. So either that's the great game, in which case it makes no ****ing sense or that stuff is non-mandatory, and what you're left with is an uninspiring note in a franchise that arguably has more uninspiring notes than inspiring ones.

Also, they are under the belief at first that the moon is just closer than before. Which is the truth. The moon was never like our moon where it is very far away. It was always close, just slightly closer on day 1. It isn't until day 3 that they realize the moon is truly going to fall on them typically, although throughout the days less and less people are in the town.

This is a game. The creators made this choice. I see it as a dysfunctional and unfun one. It isn't believable that I would ever stop to help them with that ****. And we get hysterical on the regular about a bit of extra snow or the turn of the century. The moon being slightly closer and then someone showing up to say "the world is ending if that moon which is closer hits us" wouldn't get laughed out of town. On both counts it's just plain silly. Be a game about epic things happening or be a game about solving the petty minute bull**** that keeps all of us busy. The idea any hero worth the title "of time" would ever do the latter or that the petty minute bull**** hero would be qualified for epic problems simply isn't cohesive with the more realistic or fantasy bent. They tried to balance to things which are inherently at odds and flopped the landing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom