• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Spoiler Zelda's Power

There's a lot of uncertainty about whether the power Zelda uses in BotW is the power of Hylia or the power of the Triforce, as it's only referred to as a 'sealing power' that she had inherited, which could technically be either... and there are also details that point towards both (bathing in the springs is related to unlocking the power of Hylia, but we see the Triforce symbol when she uses her power).
It's just dawned on me that it could technically be both.

The 'sealing power' itself is most likely a reference to the power of Hylia specifically, as Hylia was shown as having sealed away Demise in SS, and Zelda has been associated with the sealing away of Ganon on other occasions as well (as a sage or maiden)... and we have now also seen Zelda seal Calamity Ganon within Hyrule Castle 100 years before BotW.

The Triforce, on the other hand, is more typically a tool of creation/destruction rather than sealing, and this is true in BotW, as when we see it's symbol, Zelda is using her power to destroy either the Guardians or Ganon... so what if this isn't the 'sealing power'... what if this is a separate power that she also has access to?

This raises the question of why only the 'sealing power' is referred to as being needed to defeat Ganon instead of the destructive power of the Triforce... but what if the 'sealing power' is needed in order to use the Triforce?

The Triforce has been sealed away for it's protection in the past, so what if the same is true in BotW? What if the 'sealing power' doesn't just create seals, but also releases them as well? Every time the Triforce has been sealed away, the means of accessing it has always been kept close to the royal family, so this could be related to the power of Hylia.

This would mean that Zelda needed to unlock Hylia's 'sealing power' in order to release the seal on the Triforce, so that she could then summon it's power to destroy Ganon.

I may be wrong, but this would explain the apparent inconsistencies regarding Zelda's power in BotW.

It certainly doesn't seem that she possesses the full power of the Triforce. To me the two most likely possibilities are that she is just harnessing the Triforce of Wisdom (despite the fact that the entire Triforce seems to be shining on the back of her hand), or that the royal family has learned, through the bloodline, to harness a measure of the Triforce's power without actually possessing it (or possibly without even really knowing what it is...10,000 years have passed, after all. They may not really even know what the Triforce is anymore, just that the Royal Family has a sealing power).

I lean towards the latter. Perhaps the Triforce is safely back in the Golden Realm where Ganon cannot reach it, and the Royal Family long ago learned to tap into a fraction of it's power through Hylia's blood (perhaps that was Hylia's goal all along, to create that blood connection to divinity and the Triforce).

It certainly doesn't seem that she possesses the full power of the Triforce.
I never said she was in possession of the Triforce, only that she could access it using Hylia's 'sealing power' (whether or not she knows what exactly it is is irrelevant), and she only appears to do this twice in BotW... once in the memory where she destroys the guardians, and once in the final battle where she destroys Ganon... both instances are consistent with the potential power of the full Triforce.
The rest of the time her power appears to step from Hylia's 'sealing power', which is substantially less than that of the full Triforce... we know this from SS, as Hylia was only able to imprison Demise, and needed the Triforce to destroy him.

Never said you did, I was just expressing my internal dialogue regarding what exactly she was doing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom