• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Zelda Will Never Go Back to How It Was.

You can take this as good or bad, but now that we have been watching the evolution of Zelda on the Wii and then the features coming up on the Wii U, Zelda games will never be how they used to be. TP used basic motion controls since it was a port, SS took them to a whole new level. Now with multiple screens on the Wii U, I'm starting to think Zelda will either get too gimmicky or overly complicated. I like the traditional mash "B" Zelda, but I also really enjoyed the motion controls in SS. However, the motion controls don't always do what you want them to do.

Whether you prefer the new direction or the old style of gameplay, I don't think Nintendo is going to back down and who knows, maybe you will move Link like on the DS games with the Wii U tablet, which I didn't really like.

I like the direction it's going. I don't think the tablet will be too gimicky, it will be very useful, as the screen will allow for rapid item switching, similar to the 3DS OoT. And about the motion controls, they actually always do what I want them to, I guess it just differs from one person to the next how natural it is.

T

thepeckingbird

I know what you mean however I think we may see a button mashing game on the wii u. Even if it's not Zelda wii U, since having a game that requires a extra controller (*cough cough* skyward sword's motion plus *cough*) is sure to effect sales. Tablets aren't really suited for motion controls so I think we'd be looking at something more like the 3ds oot remake then skyward swords controls on the wii U.

Yeah, I rather wish you could choose between motion controls and using a controller. The tablet is probably gonna be super useful though, because you won't have to pause every time you wanna switch equipment

The Joker

<span style="text-shadow:2px 2px 4px Purpl
As much as I like the classic games, I think the series is headed in the right direction. After all, the 1:1 swordplay was most definately my favorate part of Skyward Sword.

guapo2003

The incomparable legend
I agree with you. Nothing will beat the originals. Unless they do something with the graphics and controls for the next Zelda games, I'm not sold yet.

nintendo will always surprise me. though, i have my favorite zelda games, they never fail to make things work. i rather not have zelda take a step backwards to those fans who are too attached to the old games. i like taking a breath of fresh air when playing a totally new zelda. i guess fans new AND old just have to keep up with the pace nintendo is taking.

I only partially agree. In a rapidly changing industry, Zelda needs to adapt to not only remain relevant but stay close to the top as it has traditionally been. Miyamoto and Aonuma seem to believe that motion control is one means through which to accomplish this goal. I respect their opinions, however, I don't seem the traditional control setup changing in future handheld installments due to not only technological restrictions but also the nature of handheld gaming. On the console forefront Nintendo is slowly retracting from motion control. Although the Wii U tablet controller obviously includes a gyro sensor, this is a step away from the wholly realistic sword play of Skyward Sword and leaning more towards a traditional control scheme.

Personally, the way fro Zelda to evolve is not to focus on control schemes so much as other fundamental aspects of the franchise that have gone missing or become highly diluted. Since Skyward Sword's motion controls emphasized a more physical approach to gameplay, the lack of a magic meter was justifiable. I future Zelda games, this feature should return to spice things up a bit. The overworld should also be less linear. An interesting idea from earlier titles I'd like to see is that you can use keys from one dungeon in another such as the original NES game and dungeons with more keys than are needed-one from Link's awakening comes to mind. I this respect I disagree with the OP. By looking back upon its phenomenal past, the Zelda franchise can build an even brighter future.

Awesome

The Creepy Uncle
Well obviously Zelda games are not going to go back to how they use to be where one button was your sword and the other button was an item. Why would you go back to something that does not work nearly as well...it's called progress for a reason, but I would like to see non motion control Zelda games in the future as well. I don't think that the button mashing will be gone forever. When Nintendo is threw with the controls of Skyward Sword, I would not be surprised at all to see the controls of Wind Waker, Ocarina of Time, etc. return.

theoathtoorder

“Zinga-dingding!”
change is a part of life my friend. the sooner you realize it and acknowledge it, the sooner you can accept it and learn to go with the flow. nothing is "the way it used to be". it's called progression.

I agree that Zelda will never go back to how it used to be, but I don't see this as a bad thing. As much as I also love the "mash the b button" zelda days, I would be bored with Zelda games if they had stayed like that through all the past games. I like change and innovation; I like the motion controls, I like the toon style they introduced for windwaker, I even liked the touch screen controls for the DS games. I enjoy Zelda games when they bring something new and are noticibly different to other games in the series, whilst keeping the same "Zeldaness" about it.

I'm actually really excited to see a Zelda game on the Wii U... I think it could be really, really interesting.

ShadowDiety

Nanomachines, son.
I agree you should be able to switch to a controller, I like it better that way.

I'm also excited to see a Wii U Zelda, the tablet should be very useful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom