• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breath of the Wild Zelda WiiU Poll

More whimsical feel, more gritty feel or in between?

• whimsical

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Gritty

• Somewhere in the middle

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
You're forgetting about Ocarina of Time 3D. And what makes "realistic" graphics benefit most from HD? I don't understand why people say that. Any art style benefits the exact same amount from HD because HD is HD. It doesn't cater to one specific style more than any other.

HD makes realism stand out more because you really pay attention to the anti-aliasing and all that when your style is HD. How do I know? No one really gave a flying rats' butt about the graphical capability of TWW - they just went for what looks nice.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
HD makes realism stand out more because you really pay attention to the anti-aliasing and all that when your style is HD. How do I know? No one really gave a flying rats' butt about the graphical capability of TWW - they just went for what looks nice.

Preeeeeeetty sure anti-aliasing's quality doesn't depend on realism. That also has nothing to do with what I said. :/

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
We are talking about look and feel here. I want something more on the gritty side with story and tone, and an art style which leans more towards that direction but still with a beauty to it. This is a fantasy setting and it should look magical not dull.

I'm not voting because i don't give a crap about the graphics. Zelda games have never been about the graphics, but about the story, gameplay and other things that make a difference in a game. I still don't see why people make a big fuss over a realistic zelda game.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
Firstly, Ocarina of Time 3D is not really "realistic". I mean, it's more realistic than WW, but it's still highly stylized.

That... was exactly my point. "Somewhere in the middle" would apply to a mixture of Twilight Princess and Ocarina of Time 3D's art styles in this instance.

Even TP is somewhat stylized, but it's still the most realistic Zelda to date.

Not really. It's every bit as stylized as any other Zelda art style. Just because it has gritty textures doesn't make it any closer to realism than The Wind Waker's cel-shading or Skyward Sword's impressionist look. Colors are washed out to help set the oppressive tone and characters' faces are heavily derived from anime.

Secondly, I know from personal experience. Try running both WW and TP in Dolphin Emulator @ 1080p, 4x MSAA, 8x AF. Both look better, but TP improves the most from SD to HD.

I would actually argue the opposite. TP's textures are still flat on the Dolphin because, well, they were flat to begin with. The Wind Waker has its vibrancy and cartoon feel come to life more than ever due to the art style not relying on grit. That's why TWW's graphics will always withstand the test of time and TP's won't.

Mudora

Innocent but not fearful.
I'm somewhere in the middle, but I lean more towards the "gritty" graphical style of Twilight Princess

^ Pretty much this. I'm in the middle, but I love the more "realistic" look Twilight Princess had and think it would look awesome on an HD console. I wouldn't mind it if they incorporated some of the colour SS and TWW offered, but I'm leaning more towards the "gritty" styled graphics.

The Jade Fist

Kung Fu Master
We've had enough toon links.
Something with a non linear flow, but the art direction of TP, and maybe a bit of political intrigue but not so complicated kids can't get it, dead serious and a healthy amount of humor throughout.

edit post:

Think full metal alchemist level of seriousness/ humor.

more edit, they asked about the feel of the game not the graphics alone

Last edited:
I'd like some gritty, we've only had two darkish Zelda games in MM and TP but OoT had its moments so i'd like to see another instalment like that and i think that style would suit HD better for a Zelda that needs to appeal to the masses

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
I would greatly prefer to see a whimsical feel. The Zelda games with a feel like that have been a lot of fun, I've greatly enjoyed them. Games like The Wind Waker, Spirit Tracks, Skyward Sword, etc. I love that style. I honestly hope we never see a gritty game like Twilight Princess again. That style is extremely unappealing to me. It's the last thing I want to see. One that's somewhere in the middle would be nice, but I'm hoping for something more whimsical.

I barely even have any idea what Nintendo is going to do with the Zelda series at this point. I kinda want them to do a realistic style of graphics because when I hear HD it automatically makes me think of something really realistic like Skyrim or Final Fantasy 13. But Nintendo's not really known for making such games that way. It's always something sorta cartoonish in a way.

Skittles

Rainbows!
I love stylistic graphics like in WW or SS (that's the proper term), but...I kind of think it might be time for a more 'gritty' or rather, realistic Zelda. Gritty though isn't always realistic, TP isn't really that realistic, it's brown and stylized after the ideal of 'realistic' games of it's time period. Instead, what would be more awesome is the colorfulness of SS plus realistic graphics because that would probably shape the game into a realistic piece. Not TP, not grittiness, environments with color and plenty of it are quite more realistic to colors dulled with browns and grays...anyway, now to hide before anyone gets to angry...*scrams*

BlitzPlum

That 3D Guy
I think that the E3 Demo hit the nail on the head as far as Zelda Wii U goes. It shows off the capability of the console and has a graphical style that can please almost every Zelda fan. It looked like TP's texture style with a more SS looking model. I'm hoping that they stick with that and it wasn't just a curve ball :P
Storywise... Epic is all I need. Bordering on OoT epicness, please xD

would you like Zelda WiiU to have a more whimsical look and feel to it like Skyward Sword or a more dark, gritty look and feel to it like (or even more than) Twilight Princess? Or would you like a game that finds a happy medium between the two?
I would like a happy medium between the two, something like Zelda A Link to the Past where the beginning is more vibrant and happy, but the second half is more dreary and dark!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom