• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breath of the Wild Zelda Wii U Wishlist

Kazumi

chagy
This is a simple thread where you can list things that you really want to happen in the Zelda games for the Wii U, regardless of whether they are big or small.

1. 1337 HD Graphix
Ever since I saw the original Zelda HD tech demo that was showcased with the Wii U back during it's original announcement I have been anticipating a new Zelda game with stunning graphics. Even though I haven't really been into Zelda in quite a while, I'd love to see what Nintendo could do with a modern engine on modern hardware in terms of Zelda. I have high hopes for the game in this department based on what was showcased.

2. Fleshed out RPG elements
I've always loved the RPG components of Zelda games, which is why it's no secret that I absolutely love games like The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind and Deus Ex. I think that Zelda could definitely benefit by focusing a bit more on the RPG style game-play that was present in Skyward Sword such as the Inventory and Crafting/Upgrading systems. I hope that Zelda Wii U utilizes the new options made available by the Wii U to expand on these systems and implement new ones.

3. DLC
No, I'm not necessarily asking for key downloads or new items, though I think that Nintendo has plenty of options for utilizing the Wii U's capability of port-release DLC to expand and improve upon the game. If we look towards a game such as Batman Arkham Asylum or the more recent Arkham City, we can see a very good use of DLC. In this game isolated levels of sorts are added that challenge the player by making them get through complicated areas with lots of enemies and puzzles and try and beat their previous time. I think that DLC dungeons such as this would be a lot of fun, and add a lot of replay value to the game after you've cleared the main story and all of the side-quests. Nintendo has already shown that they know what they're doing (for the most part) when it comes to DLC with New Super Mario Bros 2, so I once again have high hopes for DLC implementation in Zelda Wii U.

So, what would everyone else like to see in Zelda Wii U?

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
1) DLC
I would absolutely love to see Zelda Wii U take DLC and morph it back into what the optimal ideal once was: adding EXPANSIONS to an ALREADY FINISHED GAME. I'd love to see new dungeons, new musical themes and even totally new quests (think of adding MM to OoT as DLC...with current technology that really isn't all too hard to do, but more to the point, it is adding two finished games into one). Yeah, I know, the question rises "why couldn't that stuff be there in the first place", but one must understand that time restraints coupled with lack of funds do keep the Zelda team from pushing out every little detail. Besides, Zelda titles never release unfinished, so what harm can DLC do?

2) Enemies that punish you.
Recent Zelda games have turned a series that was once puzzling into the casual player's paradise. Now, there's nothing wrong with that from a company's point of view; the object of their game is simply to make as much money as possible. However, from my point of view, easy won't cut a good Zelda mold. And for that, I want Zelda Wii U's enemies to be particularly brutal. If that means always on the offensive a la ALttP, then so be it. If that means ridiculously good AI a la AoL, then so be it. I want enemies to pummel me, to take off 6 hearts per slash or some insanely large amount, to act as a team and back me into a corner. Just a wish of mine, obviously.

3) Heavy Exploration.
I want Wii U to send us EXPLORING. I don't want a limited amount of land, I want to have an entire world just like Legend of Zelda offered us. No metaphorical keys to unlock keyholes, no "gradual progression". Just straight exploration in a huge plot of land whose secrets WE have to find, that AREN'T given to us. I know, it's a ridiculous wish, but we all have dreams.

Kirino

Tatakae
Exploration and Non-Linearity
Like Ventus said, we need an open overworld with lots to explore. Not open like Twilight Princess, which had a very large open overworld, but had almost nothing in it to explore. I want a world filled with secrets, collectibles, and hidden paths, like the older Zelda games. I also want sidequests that deviate from the main story, so the main story isn't forced upon you. Different routes should also be possible, such as the Song of the Hero sidequest in Skyward Sword.

Difficulty Levels
Zelda games have gotten far too easy lately, and although SS was a step in the right direction when it comes to making Zelda more challenging, it's not quite enough. Hero Mode was a great challenge in SS, but it should have been avaliable from the beginning. More difficulty levels, such as easy, normal, and hard, would be an excellent way to appeal to both casual and hardcore gamers.

Custimization
I want to be able to customize Link and his weapons. The upgrading system in Skyward Sword was a great idea that needs to be expanded upon. Link should also be able to choose different upgrades in any order, not like in Skyward Sword, where the upgrades were linear. More could also be added. especially a skill tree, which would add much more depth to the combat. Perhaps Link could even have a customizable house, or be able to mix potions together and create new ones.

Different Paths
I want Link to be able to affect and shape the world around him. I want sidequests where what he does matters, and to be able to take different paths. Depending on what he does in a certain sidequest, he could get a different item or ability. Maybe a sidequest where you choose between two different sides. The side that you don't pick could shun you, and the one you do pick will be your ally. Sidequests could also affect the world around you, and maybe create new shops, allow different weapons, build new villiages, ect. I want choices and paths in sidequests, and being able to shape the world around you.

All of these basically boil down to one thing: choice. That's what I want most from Zelda Wii U, tons of exploration, choices, and paths. Lately, I feel that Zelda has been removing these things, and I want Zelda Wii U to bring them back, and add even more.

Last edited:

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
Continued linearity with more story.

Main quest>Side quest formula.

Partner with personality.

More flexibility to make our own challenges (i.e., set multiple monsters of any type you want in an area)

I want what everyone wants from the next Zelda. The perfect game we've been promised since OoT... So my wishlist is the norm- Huge Overworld, more exploration, varied sidequests, stronger enemies, better story, new items, return of the hidden skills, no compulsory travel system, no DLC, make it a long game (longer than TP) and push the boundaries, give us something new, take us places we wouldnt usually see in Zelda (SS said it was going to do this, i still don't see where that was supposed to be...) and something dark and moody, perhaps setting the game in a ruined Hyrule long after the evil has won, kind of like WW, without the gods drowning everything.

Cfrock

Keep it strong
A Real Story

I would love for the next Zelda to have a proper story for once, one the developers have actually put some real effort into. Making a rich and engaging story would not have a negative impact on gameplay or game design. I know Nintendo often say their focus is gameplay and that story isn't important but there's no reason that has to keep being the way they think. Look at Paper Mario: Thousand-Year Door. Look at Mass Effect 2. Look at KOTOR. Look at Dishonoured. Look at Bioshock. Look at Assassin's Creed II. All of these games have great stories as well as great gameplay and design. There's no reason why Zelda can't be the same in that respect and, with Nintendo finally committing to an official timeline, story is obviously more important to them now than it ever was. Build on that and give us an epic tale to rival the others.

More Developed Sidequests

Majora's Mask was built around sidequests and it featured some of the longest and most story driven ones of the franchise. It was through these sidequests that we came to understand the world we were playing in and understand the people living in it. These extended, multi-faceted sidequests allowed us to grow more attached to some otherwise forgettable NPCs and it forged a stronger connection to the world of Termina. I want that back again. I want to feel that there is a real reason to save the world again, beyond just, 'Destiny told you to'. I want each NPC to have a story to tell and a little adventure to send me on. Well, maybe not literally every NPC but plenty of them. It's actually something that I love about Assassin's Creed. Those games have these long and detailed stories but they are littered with extra material and optional quests and such that keep you busy for hours if you choose to do them and allow you to see more of the game-world than you otherwise would have. To me, a Zelda game should teeming with content in much the same way and so I would like for sidequests to be more developed than they have been in the past 10 or so years.

New Gameplay Elements

This is the part where, if you have been nodding your head reading this so far, you may start to shake it instead. When I say new gameplay elements I don't mean utilising the Wii U Gamepad in some clever way only Nintendo can think of (I do want that too but that's not what I'm going to talk about). What I mean is gameplay that has never featured before in The Legend of Zelda, something totally new, almost experimental, that may feel totally out-of-place for Zelda but could, if done well, really add an extra layer to the whole thing. An example to illustrate my point is this: I want to see some real-time strategy incorporated into Zelda. As you wipe the tea you just spat out off your chin and pick your monocle off of the floor let me elaborate. This idea came when I was speculating about what happened between Ocarina of Time and Twilight Princess. As some of you may know I believe that a war followed Ocarina of Time, a war started by Link's warning to Princess Zelda and which ended with Ganondorf's botched execution (Hyrule Historia probably tells us exactly what happened at this point but I'm going to run with this speculation because it helps illustrate my point). If a Zelda game were to be set, say, during that war then I would like for there to be points in the game in which Link participates in battles and I would want one of the features to be using the Gamepad's Touch Screen to direct troops in battle as you have Link fight in the frontlines. I know the idea of Zelda having RTS elements is not something a lot of people would be enthused about but this is a wish list and, by heck, that is something I wish for.

Another example would be incorporating genuine stealth gameplay. It seems common now for Zelda games to have a stealth section and these usually boil down to standing on the other side of a bush and then sprinting to another bush when the guard isn't looking. Only The Wind Waker really developed the idea further by allowing you to hide in barrels. If Zelda U has a stealth section, go all-out and have us taking cover, hiding in shadows and creating distractions. Give Link some form of silent takedown so he can remove enemies from his path while remaining undetected. Don't just tell us not to be seen, give us the tools to do so effectively and in a more engaging manner.

Since I have taken up so much of your time, I shall leave my list for the time being. Many thanks to any who took the time to read it.

Last edited:

Zorth

#Scoundrel
Difficulty

Please for the love of god give us a higher difficulty option, Really boring playing a game where the enemies have below 20 IQ and fight you with stuffed animals. What I want is an option to play against smart and hard hitting enemies that are not forgiving at all. In order to not make the game a worthless purchase for some people they should just add an option for this mode, Just give it to me at the start, no unlock barrier which we have to break by finishing the game on brainless mode. Just give us the option to play on hard mode right off the bat.

:dry:

More content & DLC

Every Zelda game dies within a month for me, I've done everything there is to do by then and I really hope that for the next game they keep releasing new quests and collectibles as time passes by, This shows us that they actually care about the game they just created and don't just forget all about it as soon as it releases to start developing the next installment. In order to fix the first problem (completing a game within a month) then they simply need to make use of the Wii U's new memory capabilities and shove inside as many side quests as they possibly can while at the same time creating a huge main storyline. The main storyline can be expanded by simply adding different endings or ways of completing the game, This will give more reason to replay the game. But I hate replaying games so I'd rather they just add huge side quests which explain anything that wasn't relevant in the main quest such as the back story of different cultures, aftermath of the main quests completion, etc.

My list's main purpose is to just pro long the life of the next game, Really sucks when games die for me after a month. I love games that actually take some time to beat up side down 100%.

If I could ask for one thing in the next Zelda I want the NPC's to feel as important as they did in Majora's Mask. Make them all special in a way you know?

Moonstone

embrace the brand new day
Multiplayer:

Legend of Zelda The Four Sword was one of the most fun experiences I've had playing a Zelda game. I could probably say it was one of the most fun gaming experiences I've had period. (other than perhaps Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles). I'd really like to see that come back- especially since the WiiU will have that nifty little tablet thing.

izi

Not A Wizard
I want to see a simple instrument. We all know how difficult the Spirit Flute was, and I thought the Harp in Skyward Sword was very difficult to control. I've got great rhythm, but I couldn't keep control of that thing. Maybe a kazoo or something.

A cross between Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword.

Exploration
Twilight Princess's large overworld with plenty of monsters roaming.

Visuals
Skyward Sword's visual aesthetic, but with some changes, like males not having those lips.

Link and Zelda's friendship
Skyward Sword developed a close connection between Link and Zelda, suggesting a sense of love between the two. It's something I want to see, to give Link a more personal reason to want to rescue her.

Sidequests and developing minor characters
Skyward Sword did this pretty well in my opinion

Bosses
Mixing the size and multiple phases of Twilight Princess's bosses with the type of combat and semi-puzzle solving of Skyward Sword's bosses.

Horseback riding
Twilight Princess, along with combat on the horse.

Graphics
As far as the graphics go, i don't really care. Graphics don't make the game so i wouldn't complain if they made another Skyward Sword art styled game. I would like to see what they did on the tech demo even though it's just an update of Twilight Princess' graphics. A realistic approach would bring more fans to the series as well.

Story
I certainly would love to see the new game as a sequel to twilight princess. Twilight Princess was rushed, so it lacked in a number of ways. I want to see a great story with a lot of depth and mystery. I want suspense to be involved here, i want the feeling of hopelessness until nearly the end. As for a place in the timeline, i couldn't care less.

Controls
The controls are what make games great, without a good enough system the game would fail. Since we are dealing with the Wii U here there are many new things they can add. The touchscreen is a great thing to start with. The touch screen (in the DS games) served as the controller, but since we have analog sticks to work with, we can now use the touchscreen in a new way. Like OoT3DS the touchscreen can be used for maps, items and saving. Obviously this will be difficult because of Nintendo wanting to implement playing without the TV screen, but it would be best for Zelda to ignore that. The camera, in my opinion, would be useless for Zelda, to me, it's only good for casual stuff. The built in microphone would be best used with the controller for an instrument within the game. One of the best things about Spirit tracks was the Spirit Flute. A new way to attack is another suggestion , my idea is that the 2nd analog stick should be used for swinging the sword. Obviously people probably won't like it, but i think in the option menu that should give you a choice between using the b button and the analog stick. With motion controls, they should allow you to aim with the 2nd screen and see things in first person mode as well.

RPG elements
I enjoyed the upgrade system in Skyward Sword, i thin they should bring that back. More side quests that make you feel more connected with people and other races in the game. I would love another Majora's mask type system when it comes to this.

Replay value and more hours spent is important, but this is a generalized list and it will do for now.

I'm rather overwhelmed by the many tasteful ideas within this thread, really giving me an enjoyable read everyone so thank you.

I do however find the idea of a steampunk playing a big role in a Zelda game, but at the same time, Zelda has been to known have a variety of reaches, territories, and cultures. I wouldn't want steampunk to be everywhere. As far as art direction goes, I think the game's locations should mostly dictate the art direction. For example, if they do go with an exciting steampunk direction, a realistic style that can display many small, sophisticated details should be used. If the game has a lot of more surreal looking characters and settings, the game should be cel shaded or something close to that. As for gameplay, I wouldn't mind seeing motion controls make a comeback, but if I had to choose a compromise, I would like to see the gamepad's touchscreen being used to solve puzzles and for inventory management (doing things that would be more convenient for a touchscreen) and I would like the gamepad's motion controls to be used for certain items that wouldn't work as well with dual analog controls.

One last little tip-bit I'd like to mention is I'd like a Zelda where tools have more utility, so that there may be multiple ways to solve puzzles and gain entries to temples. The result will be a game which requires lateral thinking but which also can be tackled in any order; a more free form Zelda that recalls the original foundation for the series.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom