• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breath of the Wild Zelda Wii U Rumors

This is an up to date rumour thread so i figured I'd put this here, taken from the official nintendo magazine (uk) website

There are conflicting messages surrounding Zelda Wii U. Following the E3 2011 demo, Zelda mastermind Eiji Aonuma said that fans should expect many changes: "I should say the demo you saw at E3 is more of a starting point at this time, especially from a graphical standpoint. You should expect many changes... our starting point is the gameplay and how we can make it work. It's possible the game will look very different by the time it comes out."

Would we have another Wind Waker situation when Nintendo shocked fans with Toon Link following the 'mature' Zelda demo the company had showcased at the previous year's Spaceworld? Well, by showcasing the same Zelda demo a year later, it would suggest that little had changed.

However, Miyamoto has said that Nintendo were still experimenting with Zelda Wii U and the focus seems to be on making Link's new adventure accessible to all after Nintendo admitted that not everyone got on with the motion controls of Skyward Sword.

Miyamoto said: "With the last game, Skyward Sword, that was a game where you had motion control to use your weapons and a lot of different items, and I thought that was a lot of fun, but there were some people who weren't able to do that or didn't like it as much and stopped playing partway through it...

"So we have a number of different experiments going on, and [when] we decide that we've found the right one of those to really help bring Zelda to a very big audience, then we'll be happy to announce it."

Yet Aonuma has appeared to be keen to stick with the Skyward Sword formula, saying that he thinks the motion controls will be used in future Zelda games. He even said that it is possible that Nintendo will use motion control ideas that didn't make the cut in Skyward Sword in future Zelda games.

One thing that is clear is Nintendo's desire to make sure Zelda is enjoyable right from the off. Last year, Miyamoto said that one of the discussions Nintendo have been having with Zelda is how to balance teaching gamers how to learn new skills and tell the story in a bid to "get people to that point of fun more quickly."

With all these discussions going on, will Zelda Wii U even be released in 2013? As Iwata said, we'll have to wait to find out.

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
I have heard rumors like this before and Tbh I don't believe them one bit!

Nintendo have always been good at keeping secrets and giving us the bear minimum in terms of information..... But lets say these rumors are true. It is possible that Nintendo could bring out the next Zelda game by 2014, people dont realise that Zelda games are usually in the thought devolvement process in the first couple of years, this doesn't need to happen and I have made a thread abt this before! Nintendo could easily hire a bigger team to work on Zelda Wii U.

The possibility that the next Zelda game will have graphics similar to Skyward Sword wouldn't surprise me as Nintendo always likes to tease us with the best and then let us down when the games release. Nintendo showed us what Zelda would like in HD and it looked amazing! To give us Skyward Sword Esq graphics would certainly let the fantasy down. I am aware that graphics do not make a game but the possibility of Zelda in realistic HD like the demo at E3 2011 is something a lot of us Zelda fans have wanted, Nintendo would be stupid not to pass up this opportunity.

-The game won't be revealed until E3 2013
-It won't be released until 2014 at the earliest

If we get Zelda 3DS before then that's fine by me

-The graphics will be that of Skyward Sword
-Nintendo of America prefers the motion controls to the Gamepad’s features and buttons

Wouldn't bother me

-Nintendo of Japan was surprised at the well-received romance between Link and Zelda and plans to make it a larger part of the story.
-Developers are weighing the pros and cons for Link speaking

I'd rather not, for both

-A well-known character from a past game will be returning, but not in the same role or form as the past
Majora? Ganondorf? Ezlo?

Cfrock

Keep it strong

This sounds a little early to me. I'd be chuffed to bits, of course, but I think it's more likely any Zelda news at this E3 will be for 3DS.

God, I hope so. Not gonna hold my breath though.

This would actually upset me. Skyward Sword's art style worked well for the Wii but I don't want to see blurred watercolour painting on a console capable of much better than that.

-Nintendo of America prefers the motion controls to the Gamepad’s features and buttons

Nintendo of America are stupid then. Forgive me, Reggie, but seriously, if ZeldaU makes a significant focus on the Motion+ I am going to feel nothing but disappointed. The Gamepad is an excellent piece of kit, it is the Wii U, essentially. To not take full advantage of it would be nothing less than a crime.

-Nintendo of Japan was surprised at the well-received romance between Link and Zelda and plans to make it a larger part of the story.

Depends on what this means. If it just means a romance sub-plot will be a prominent element in ZeldaU then fine by me. If it means they'll build on the existing sub-plot, that implies a SS sequel, which I do not want.

A lot of people want Link to remain silent forever. I honestly don't see why such a thing is important. If Link talks, let him speak. If he doesn't, fine by me.

-A well-known character from a past game will be returning, but not in the same role or form as the past

This is probably just from a vague comment that someone has interpreted in this way and it was probably made simply to drive speculation and hype that will ultimately lead to thousands of people being disappointed when it isn't Midna.

He even said that it is possible that Nintendo will use motion control ideas that didn't make the cut in Skyward Sword in future Zelda games.

So ideas which weren't good enough for SS will be good enough for a game which should be focusing on a different control scheme altogether? I like to believe Nintendo aren't as high as that.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
Nintendo of America are stupid then. Forgive me, Reggie, but seriously, if ZeldaU makes a significant focus on the Motion+ I am going to feel nothing but disappointed. The Gamepad is an excellent piece of kit, it is the Wii U, essentially. To not take full advantage of it would be nothing less than a crime.

I'm sorry, but this statement is what's stupid. There's nothing wrong with wanting them to use the GamePad, but calling them stupid for preferring a completely functional and insanely entertaining control scheme (if they actually do) is just wrong.

Deeds

no text
First off I just wanna say, that for those hoping for a new Zelda on the Wii - that just won't happen. By having a Wii U Zelda, it forces the masses of fans to actually go out and buy a wii u to play their beloved game. So there won't be a new Zelda Wii, unless Nintendo go crazy.
Secondly, I highly doubt a Nintendo representative would tip Zelda Informer, when there's dozens of sites/magazines that are far more popular (presuming publicity would be the reason for the tip).
When I read "A well known character from a past game will be featured", I immediately thought of the Happy Mask Salesman. I'm not sure why, probably because I want the new zelda to be dark and MMlike - even though he's appeared differently in other games. Then I saw that this character, "will not be returning in the same role or form." That's the Happy Mask Salesman thought down the drain. If this 'tip' is true, then I really don't know how they'd be able to have a familiar character, implemented in a different role and form. Interesting, but I'm doubtful.

Curmudgeon

default setting: sarcastic prick

Good. I won't have a WiiU before 2014/15 at the earliest anyway

I figured this would be the case. I'll be interested to see what an HD upgrade to the SS art style looks like.

Nintendo is going to go with the motion controls no matter what at this point. To revert to buttons would be tantamount to waving the white flag.

You've seen ship boards for any multitude of franchises out there, right? This should not be surprising. I also generally think it's stupid. Less cutsy romance, more face stabbing.

They've had pressure to add voice acting for a long time. As long as they're willing to invest in some quality talent to get the job done, I can probably forgive them for adding it.

That's... vague. Without knowing which branch of the timeline the game will take place in, it's a total crapshoot.

After living with this franchise for 25 years and 16 games, all I really want is something new and different. Surprise me, Nintendo. You used to be good at that.

Cfrock

Keep it strong
I'm sorry, but this statement is what's stupid. There's nothing wrong with wanting them to use the GamePad, but calling them stupid for preferring a completely functional and insanely entertaining control scheme (if they actually do) is just wrong.

Say what you want about Motion+ being functional and entertaining, that has absolutely no relevenace whatsoever. The issue I take is that the Wii U controller is also "completely functional and insanely entertaining". It's also brand new and cost me a couple of hundred pounds. To not use it, or to not use it extensively at least, makes the purchase of a Wii U kinda redundant. I, and thousands of other people, did not spend money on a brand new machine to play Wii games.

I did not call Motion+ stupid, I called not wanting to focus on the Gamepad stupid. It'd be like having a GameCube, but instead of playing with the controller, Nintendo asked you to buy the GameBoy Player and use a GameBoy Advance to play Zelda... Wait a second...

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
Say what you want about Motion+ being functional and entertaining, that has absolutely no relevenace whatsoever. The issue I take is that the Wii U controller is also "completely functional and insanely entertaining". It's also brand new and cost me a couple of hundred pounds. To not use it, or to not use it extensively at least, makes the purchase of a Wii U kinda redundant. I, and thousands of other people, did not spend money on a brand new machine to play Wii games.

As I've said before, they've kept the Wii MotionPlus for a reason. They intend to keep using it, sometimes as the main control scheme, others as a secondary one. One of the biggest hurrahs of the Wii U is letting us choose how we want to play. Just another reason why I expect Nintendo to go with the Wii MotionPlus and have the other controllers as emulations of it.

I did not call Motion+ stupid, I called not wanting to focus on the Gamepad stupid. It'd be like having a GameCube, but instead of playing with the controller, Nintendo asked you to buy the GameBoy Player and use a GameBoy Advance to play Zelda... Wait a second...

You explicitly called NoA stupid for preferring the MotionPlus. I could just as easily call you stupid for preferring the GamePad. Both are great controllers and have lots of potential in their own respective ways. Both would be great for Zelda as the main control scheme, I'm sure. But that's the point. They both are. Calling someone stupid for preferring either is contradictory and arrogant.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao

That whole romance thing seems very unlikely, especially coming from Nintendo. Zelda has never been about romance, and honestly SS' romance was basted around the story just to give us a breath of fresh air. I may be the only one to say this, but the big N has never been well big on romance. They just had it there to attract people. Can we count on them having at least tinges of romance here and there? Yeah! Can we count on it being a huge part of the story of future Zeldas? I don't think so. :I

By "developers" they must mean "Miyamoto" :right:
This wouldn't be a bad thing since Miyamoto himself had a few quotes...sure wish I saved the ones that Locke quoted int he SB that one time. ;)

:?
This "rumor" sounds pretty farfetched. We literally always get well-known characters from a past game who don't play the same role or form. Zelda, Link (well he is always the hero 'cept in Zelda's Adventure), Ganondorf etc. Don't know why the anonymous source listed this :P

Oh, boy. Zelda U rumors, round 2.

To be honest, this new slew of "info" is even more dubious than the last. I was skeptical of the first rumors, but these are even more farfetched. As Deeds said, why on earth would a Nintendo developer contact Zelda Informer about this instead of some other bigger, more official source? Sounds to me like a fan trying to stir things up too much. Zelda Informer is almost obligated to post such rumors (they are called Zelda Informer, after all), but not every big magazine or official website is going to accept them.

I'll also quote on each point from the Zelda Informer article itself:

The game will be revealed in some form at E3 2013. The game most likely won’t be released until early 2014 (it’s still in the early development stages). We may see an eShop demo in late 2013.

Fair enough, but the last rumors said this was in development from 2010, as the article pointed out. I wouldn't be too surprised to see something at E3 2013, but I similarly wouldn't be surprised to find it missing.

The game will feature a different art style than the HD tech demo shown off when the Wii U was unveiled. Early concept artwork looks like they’re sticking with Skyward Sword‘s style for now.

This goes with the last rumors, but I seriously hope they aren't true, and I don't think Nintendo is going to do that. I loved Skyward Sword's graphics. I did. I don't want to see them again so soon. The novelty has been used up with me, and I'm looking forward to the detailed, somewhat realistic graphics of the demo. To pull another Spaceworld and give players something totally different after being enticed by a potential style is a bad move, and I think Nintendo's learned their lesson there.

Nintendo of Japan prefers Skyward Sword‘s motion controls to the GamePad. However, they are aware that some fans still prefer traditional buttons or will want to use the GamePad.

This, too, is in conflict with both the previous rumors and Nintendo's official statements. Previous rumors said Zelda U was focusing heavily on the GamePad. Nintendo said they wanted to shift away from the MotionPlus because of its slightly more limited audience. I'd be perfectly fine if they focused on the MotionPlus, but I wouldn't want them to neglect the GamePad, either. I'll be a happy man if this part of the rumor is true, as I think we'd all like more than one control scheme for Zelda as it is. Still, this is in conflict with more than one source.

Nintendo of Japan was surprised at how well-received the romance was between Link and Zelda in Skyward Sword and intends to flesh it out further for Zelda U. Because this dynamic was favored more in the West than by Japanese audiences, Nintendo of America is looking to popular American romance stories. Names like Twilight and 50 Shades of Grey have popped up in conversation, but the extent to which they will inspire the next Zelda is unknown.

Aaaaand this is where all rumor credibility takes a nosedive into the dirt. Nintendo taking inspiration from 50 Shades of Grey? What, are we going to see Link and Zelda breaking out the ropes and whips now? I wouldn't be overly surprised or averse to Nintendo furthering the romance between Link and Zelda - how many Zelink fans are there on Zelda Dungeon? But taking inspiration from Twilight and 50 Shades of Grey, both of which have been controversial and not written by professional authors, seems like completely the wrong idea. It doesn't seem anything like what Nintendo would do or has done in the past. Why would they take inspiration from controversial (and, in the latter's case, adult) Western romance novels? If it's true, Zelda may very well have jumped the shark for me. But this is almost proof that these rumors are from someone trying to stir up chaos.

Developers are weighing the pros and cons for both full voice acting and whether or not Link will speak.

Again, fair enough. If they were talking about making frequent and varied dialogue decisions for Link, I'm all for it. That's something I've been wanting for awhile. I'd also love full voice acting so long as it's of good quality and it doesn't present problems in pacing and game fluidity. If they were talking about Link just up and becoming his own character who speaks regularly, we have another problem. It's definitely better than where Link's at (neither a blank slate nor an engaging character), but if they're going to do any change at all, it should be to make Link another blank slate. But as I consider these rumors to be largely bullcrap, I wouldn't trust most of this anyway.

A well-known character from a past game is returning in some way. This character may or may not be the in the same role and/or form as they was in the past.

This was probably thrown in just to ensure Zelda fans talk and theorize about something. It's incredibly vague and probably not true, so I won't bother hypothesizing who could show up or who I want just yet.

Very long story short, this sounds like another round of rumors designed to spark false enthusiasm in the Zelda fanbase. We should keep them in mind going forward, but I am heavily inclined to say they are complete bogus.

sailormars109

Finding Love by the Moon
I hope they don't go on with Zelda and Link. Midna is soooooo much better for Link! But that's just me.

Meh, Skyward Sword graphics? I thought the graphics were supposed to be more realistic like Twilight Princess's.

JJ said:
Why? The Wii U has been out for a over a month now.

Not everyone can afford a Wii U right now (this girl) and they're still making DS games, so why not make another Wii game?

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links

This is where I know it's fake.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom