• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breath of the Wild Zelda Wii U, E3 Predictions

My prediction is we'll get an idea of the premise behind whatever the story is, ideas on who Link is this time around.... the usual stuff we get with upcoming Zelda games. Lots of gameplay footage.

There is no proof. It is entirely unfounded and just purely speculation, and people are oberracting over something that probably isn't true anyway

The problem with Emily Rodgers is she's gotten 2-3 lucky guesses, which has led certain clickbaitey sites to follow her every move. The lucky guesses were things that anyone could have made an educated guess on. There's also the problem of incomplete information with no sources whatsoever, and the conclusions that people have jumped to based on them. On top of that, there have been quite a few people who claimed she did not get her "correct" info from any insider source, and that the info came from elsewhere.

The other thing that rubs me really wrong about this whole business... I used to know a person or two who worked at a TV studio that was working on a series that was popular at the time. One day in a forum, a person showed up who also "worked there", had tons of insider info, and started posting all kinds of crazy "leaked" info. The internet was a lot younger then, and most of us fell for it hook, line, and sinker. Later on I asked the friend to verify if anything was real, and she was able to confirm that the leaker didn't work at the studio. Later it turned out the leaker was a looney with MPD.

Being a friend with the person at the studio didn't get me any super secret info. Attempting to ask questions was only met with quiet "can't confirm or deny" stuff. But she did show up in the forum and set everyone straight.

Leaking information so blatantly at most places will get you fired. I know in my own job, my co-workers and I have had a good laugh at the expense of some naiive person who leaked a picture with their work username watermarked all over it. (Even if you're careful, pictures are often geostamped these days unless you're careful enough to remove that.) Either Emily Rodgers is full of crap, or she's gotten half of Treehouse fired already. Granted, that might fit in with her "restructuring" rumor. ;)

Here's my own lucky guess: While we've had some semi-plausible 4chan threads recently, there's also a few 4chan threads rumormongering about the whole "female" thing as if it were somehow confirmed. (Did some hunting in that minefield last night myself.) A lot of the leakers contradict each other. Some are claiming Link is a full-on character with some (but not many) spoken lines, some are claiming he's entirely silent, some are claiming male, some are claiming female, one is claiming Link has a rival named "dink", etc.... Knowing 4chan, some leaks are real, some aren't, many are simply trolling, and many more are discussing whatever hotbutton gamer issues of the day have popped up, which means it's practically a slot machine if you're looking for anything real. There are many, MANY claimed "leak" threads about a variety of games.

The NX, Gender thing, and Voice Acting are hotbutton issues that fans have been heavily discussing for months. My guess is there were likely people still discussing them, or even posting fake rumors to stir stuff up. Emily is probably just browsing 4chan like the rest of us, and posting whatever rumors she finds there. Some are true, most are not. But I don't think she knows anybody on the inside. And Nintendo is probably laughing at all of us over popcorn and beer.

The problem with Emily Rodgers is she's gotten 2-3 lucky guesses, which has led certain clickbaitey sites to follow her every move.
I agree, she is full of crap. She's thrown around tons of highly plausible (often captain obvious) rumours. A few were true, many were not. Just pure RNG luck. The fansites focus of her few correct guesses and ignore the mountains of wrong ones. She's not getting inside information. The one person from Nintendo that did leak info and badmouthed Nintendo a while back was fired. Nintendo take NDA's and similar as seriously as they should.

The female Link thing is just a portion of the fanbase trying to be politically correct and also saying because Linkle in Hyrule Warriors, then we just have similar in Zelda U. The real fact is we just do not know either way.

The one thing Nintendo will show off is exactly how the gamepad is used in ZeldaU. If the system takes more than 5 minutes to learn it, the hordes with ***** about it - "awwwwww we can't learn something that takes time to master, we don't want to use our brains to learn how to play a video game". The same crap we hear about the SFZ control system, we'll hear it again about ZeldaU. A shame though, because this really prevents some very well thuoght out innovative uses of the gamepad. Not Nintendo's fault that some of the fanbase will not take the short time to learn the new control scheme properly. So it'll be dumbed down for these fans. Disappointing, but a requirement sadly.

ZeldafreakCJM

Hey there, it's me.
Then why was literally, over half of your post dedicated to Fem Link?
Probably because outside of rumors, all we know about the game literally only fits half of that post. ;P

Moving away though, I do expect the demo to include lots of footage of item usage and that slowdown feature.

Lozjam

A Cool, Cool Mountain
I agree, she is full of crap. She's thrown around tons of highly plausible (often captain obvious) rumours. A few were true, many were not. Just pure RNG luck. The fansites focus of her few correct guesses and ignore the mountains of wrong ones. She's not getting inside information. The one person from Nintendo that did leak info and badmouthed Nintendo a while back was fired. Nintendo take NDA's and similar as seriously as they should.

The female Link thing is just a portion of the fanbase trying to be politically correct and also saying because Linkle in Hyrule Warriors, then we just have similar in Zelda U. The real fact is we just do not know either way.

The one thing Nintendo will show off is exactly how the gamepad is used in ZeldaU. If the system takes more than 5 minutes to learn it, the hordes with ***** about it - "awwwwww we can't learn something that takes time to master, we don't want to use our brains to learn how to play a video game". The same crap we hear about the SFZ control system, we'll hear it again about ZeldaU. A shame though, because this really prevents some very well thuoght out innovative uses of the gamepad. Not Nintendo's fault that some of the fanbase will not take the short time to learn the new control scheme properly. So it'll be dumbed down for these fans. Disappointing, but a requirement sadly.
Zelda U probably will not be use the Gamepad like that. Especially since its coming to NX. Zelda U just will use the same features the remakes use. Optional gyroscope controls for bow, item switching, looking at the map.

There's confirmed to be no really crazy control scheme, because of the Game Awards footage.

And even if it did use a crazy control scheme. Zelda U probably will have an actual well designed game surrounding it. It wasn't rushed at all. Plus, Skyward Sword introduced a new control scheme as well, into a well designed, good game. And most fans saw it that way as well, even if it is not as good as other 3D Zelda games.

Last edited:
Face it mate. You are in the extreme minority here. Having a female link will only make a thousand people tops not buy the game. Those that are opposed will just choose male link, with a single button press of the game, and that will be the end of it. I'm sorry that you will not be able to experience Zelda U if this is the case. But Nintendo won't care, and in the long run, fans won't care.
He really isn't. Most forum votes end with more people preferring they leave it as male Link then add female Link.

He really isn't. Most forum votes end with more people preferring they leave it as male Link then add female Link.

Honestly, I'd rather they not add "female Link" at all. It's an entirely different situation if they add additional playable characters.

Now, when it comes to most forums, I lurk a lot more than I talk. (Did so here long before I first posted as well.) What I usually see on other forums is this: 1 or 2 loud voices repeatedly saying "it's happening, deal with it" or "why do you oppose the *option*, just pick the male one".

The first one is just SJW nonsense. The second... is much harder to pin down, because I don't think people really understand what is at stake.

The *ONLY* ways for them to make it an "option" is to either make an entirely different playable character with their own story and content (WHICH NOBODY AT ALL HAS A PROBLEM WITH FOR FREAKIN CRYING OUT LOUD!!!!) or to get rid of the concept of Link entirely, remove all his characterizations, and turn him into a character creator. People like me who fell in love with the idea of the character (that is not you) that you become through gameplay, learn to love and fight for, will lose this entirely. The game, at that point, becomes another "skyrim".

This does not mean that Skyrim is bad. What it means is people like me play Skyrim to play Skyrim. I play Legend of Zelda for a different experience. And if I lose that? I'll end up walking away quietly in disappointment, which I suspect many others will do as well. (Likely more than 1000.) It's better to do what you're good at and do it well than to try to be somebody else and do half the job. I see this happen to companies all the time. Remember Palm? They fell down flat when they tried to be Blackberry. Then Apple showed up and grabbed their old market. Remember Blackberry? They tried to be Apple. And so on.

That said, after said point the series may lose many fans and gain many more, but even if such a thing succeeds it will not be the same series. It will be something else. And I don't think people who write off dissenting opinions on the "female link" thing really understand that. On top of that Nintendo has been open and upfront about not jumping in on politics in their games and has explained their own reasons for keeping Link male. The idea of a company kowtowing to SJWs on a game series supposedly about bravery just leaves my stomach sour.

I apologize for the all caps earlier. I'm just sick of people writing off Link's character as something only Mango cares about (sounds like the Isolate and Swarm step if you ask me), and trying to play it off as some sort of stupid sexism thing. Some of us just don't want to lose a favorite character we've been coming back to all these years. I'll say it again: If Nintendo had made a female Link 10 years ago, I would have had no issue with it for the same reason people often state: It's a different character every time. It's the fact that Nintendo didn't have any desire to make Link female in the first place (Something they've expressed multiple times since that original E3 announcement), that makes me want Nintendo to put their foot down and say "No" to all the Gawker SJWs who made this into such a huge deal in the first place.

CrimsonCavalier

Fuzzy Pickles
Honestly, I'd rather they not add "female Link" at all. It's an entirely different situation if they add additional playable characters.

Now, when it comes to most forums, I lurk a lot more than I talk. (Did so here long before I first posted as well.) What I usually see on other forums is this: 1 or 2 loud voices repeatedly saying "it's happening, deal with it" or "why do you oppose the *option*, just pick the male one".

The first one is just SJW nonsense. The second... is much harder to pin down, because I don't think people really understand what is at stake.

This is exactly right. There is more to it than just "options". The game has never been about option. The game has been about taking over a male character. Link is male canonically. Period. Zelda is female canonically. Period. There isn't room for argument here. There is no opinion on this.

If they change the game, they change it, and so be it, and they'll lose fans.

The *ONLY* ways for them to make it an "option" is to either make an entirely different playable character with their own story and content (WHICH NOBODY AT ALL HAS A PROBLEM WITH FOR FREAKIN CRYING OUT LOUD!!!!) or to get rid of the concept of Link entirely, remove all his characterizations, and turn him into a character creator. People like me who fell in love with the idea of the character (that is not you) that you become through gameplay, learn to love and fight for, will lose this entirely. The game, at that point, becomes another "skyrim".

This does not mean that Skyrim is bad. What it means is people like me play Skyrim to play Skyrim. I play Legend of Zelda for a different experience. And if I lose that? I'll end up walking away quietly in disappointment, which I suspect many others will do as well. (Likely more than 1000.)

Many many more.

Some will do it out of principle, some will because it is no longer the same game. But they'll lose far more than 1000.

That said, after said point the series may lose many fans and gain many more, but even if such a thing succeeds it will not be the same series. It will be something else. And I don't think people who write off dissenting opinions on the "female link" thing really understand that. On top of that Nintendo has been open and upfront about not jumping in on politics in their games and has explained their own reasons for keeping Link male. The idea of a company kowtowing to SJWs on a game series supposedly about bravery just leaves my stomach sour.

I apologize for the all caps earlier. I'm just sick of people writing off Link's character as something only Mango cares about (sounds like the Isolate and Swarm step if you ask me), and trying to play it off as some sort of stupid sexism thing. Some of us just don't want to lose a favorite character we've been coming back to all these years. I'll say it again: If Nintendo had made a female Link 10 years ago, I would have had no issue with it for the same reason people often state: It's a different character every time. It's the fact that Nintendo didn't have any desire to make Link female in the first place (Something they've expressed multiple times since that original E3 announcement), that makes me want Nintendo to put their foot down and say "No" to all the Gawker SJWs who made this into such a huge deal in the first place.

A very small, but annoyingly vocal, minority want this. However, I disagree with you that Nintendo has not started succumbing to the idiot SJW.

Fatal Frame, Xenoblade, Fire Emblem, and apparently, FExSMT have all been censored in one way or another because of the SJW crying about it. At least Nintendo of America has. Maybe Big Nintendo has not, but NoA has, and it's a dangerous precedent because it's Nintendo's biggest market.

As much as I don't think we'll have a female Link, I am actually concerned that it could happen. Squeaky wheel gets the oil, after all.

A very small, but annoyingly vocal, minority want this. However, I disagree with you that Nintendo has not started succumbing to the idiot SJW.

Fatal Frame, Xenoblade, Fire Emblem, and apparently, FExSMT have all been censored in one way or another because of the SJW crying about it. At least Nintendo of America has. Maybe Big Nintendo has not, but NoA has, and it's a dangerous precedent because it's Nintendo's biggest market.

I admit, there's times I've wondered if any of the delays were caused by Treehouse shenanigans. I'm just hoping the backlash from the last few games is enough to keep them in check for a bit. (Or better yet, get the suits to do some "restructuring".)

As much as I don't think we'll have a female Link, I am actually concerned that it could happen. Squeaky wheel gets the oil, after all.

I'd say the reason those other games have gotten picked on so much is because they're some of Nintendo's more obscure offerings and would be considered more vulnerable targets. Sure, they're popular now, but none of them are Mario, Zelda, etc.

If Treehouse makes any unwelcome or overbearing changes to one of Nintendo's core games, I can't imagine that would go over well with Nintendo's suits.

CrimsonCavalier

Fuzzy Pickles
I admit, there's times I've wondered if any of the delays were caused by Treehouse shenanigans. I'm just hoping the backlash from the last few games is enough to keep them in check for a bit. (Or better yet, get the suits to do some "restructuring".)

What worries me is that there wasn't enough backlash. Some people complained, but those games weren't big-sellers regardless. Even without the censorship, the people who got Xenoblade were the people who were going to get Xenoblade. Maybe they lost some sales, but not many. It's probably in the hundreds, at most. Maybe 500 people didn't get the game because they couldn't adjust the boob size on Elma.

As for Fatal Frame? Even less people got that, because you needed a hard drive to play the game. Few people got a $100+ hard drive to play a $50 game. That's $150 for a game. It's a f-ing fantastic game, let me tell you, but not many people are willing to drop that kind of money on any game, much less an obscure one. So I'd say there was even less backlash there. How many people didn't get the game because you couldn't dress Yuri up in a bikini? A lot less than the people who didn't get the game because there was no physical copy, I can assure you of that.

I'd say the reason those other games have gotten picked on so much is because they're some of Nintendo's more obscure offerings and would be considered more vulnerable targets. Sure, they're popular now, but none of them are Mario, Zelda, etc.

If Treehouse makes any unwelcome or overbearing changes to one of Nintendo's core games, I can't imagine that would go over well with Nintendo's suits.

True, yet Nintendo still attempts to maintain their reputation. Yes, they'll publish some M games, and even do something with Playboy to market Bayonetta, but they will fiercely fight to keep their family-friendly rep.

The problem I see is that no other company is censoring games like Nintendo is, which means to me Nintendo is the one that has been infected by the cancer. As far as I'm concerned, the entire Treehouse localization team needs to be purged. All of them. I mean, that's in a best-case scenario, which we all know is never going to happen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom