• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breath of the Wild Zelda Wii U: Another Orchestral Score?

Jimmu

Administrator
Staff member
ZD Champion
Administrator
The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword had a partly Orchestral Score, would you like Zelda Wii U to also use this type of music?

I would love to see this happen, I absolutely loved the music in Skyward Sword and I'd be very happy for them to take the orchestral approach again.

Last edited:

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
I do not see why they would regress to MIDI at this point. I'm all for orchestrated tracks, just make them more catchy/memorable and less generic.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
Skyward Sword actually didn't use strictly live orchestration. Boss fights, cutscenes, and a few jingles did, but every other song -- well, except for Levias's theme -- had orchestration mixed with MIDI. I love this style. Believe it or not, MIDI actually sometimes works better than live instruments to fit a mood or setting. However, pure MIDI just sounds outdated, which is made very clear by Twilight Princess's soundtrack -- the music itself wasn't bad at all, but it used MIDI that was supposed to sound like orchestration, which wound up making it sound exactly like what it was: an imitation. So when you mix the two, you're free to use MIDI in appropriate situations while avoiding an outdated sound. This is definitely what the series should go with from here on out. It's too cool of a style to leave behind.

As a bit of a tangent, the series also needs to keep up the kind of music found in Skyward Sword's soundtrack. Past Zelda music was good, sometimes even great (especially ST), but SS's was of the utmost caliber, joining the ranks of soundtracks from games like Metroid Prime, Kingdom Hearts (series), Mega Man Zero, and the Super Mario Galaxy games. Naturally so, considering Galaxy's composer, Mahito Yokota, was the lead composer.

As much as I like Orchestrated music, I wouldn't want it to dominate MIDI. I think MIDI suits video games better than Live orchestra to be honest. I wouldn't mind if there was a mix of both, but I would be a little bothered if it was 100% Orchestrated.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
Yeah using only MIDI would be a regression after SS. I don't see them having any other option but to bring back the orchestra, and this is a good thing. Orchestrated music is the best for this series, having orchestrated music mixed with midi is useful for atmospheric changes and MIDI is very high quality these days so you can hardly notice.

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
Meh, Orchestra is overrated (Video games) for all the work put into it...I feel they should do what they can as a side project without delaying the actual release as much as possible.

Orchestral soundtracks for the future would be nice but i dont think theyre really necessary. As long as the scores are actually good/enjoyable themes then midi or orchestra would suffice. i'm good either way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom