• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Zelda Wii at E3 2010? Fresh Changes?

Mases

Lord of the Flies
Administrator
Site Staff
ZeldaWii.jpg

With Spirit Tracks just three weeks from its US release date, it appears Nintendo is already beginning to hype up the next Legend of Zelda title for the Nintendo Wii. In a recent Official Nintendo Magazine interview with Eiji Aonuma, the topic of Zelda Wii was mentioned extensively and a lot of rather interesting comments concerning the direction of the game were discussed. Below are a few tidbits from the interview.

"It is something we used to talk about with Mr Miyamoto, and he and I agree that if we are following the same structure again and again, we might not be able to give long time Zelda fans a fresh surprise."

"So we have been trying something new in terms of the structure of the Wii version of the new Zelda game this time. I am really hopeful that people will be surprised with the changes we have implemented for this Wii version."

"I hope that we can show you something at the E3 show next year and it is something we are hopeful will be surprising."

Personally, I’m scratching my head for why this information would come out right now. E3 is not for another six months and Spirit Tracks is going to be released in just a matter of weeks. You would think that the hype for another Zelda title for the Wii would fit months after Spirit Tracks has been released.

As for changes to the series, I have some mixed feelings towards it. I love the idea that they want to make a lot of changes to the series to keep veteran fans satisfied, but I also think that recycling material with slight changes really works. I think Twilight Princess did a good job of doing this, by making many changes that made it distinctive from previous 3d Zelda titles, while also giving it its own identity. I also think the 2d Zelda titles, from Link’s Awakening, to Oracle of Seasons, Oracle of Ages, to The Minish Cap, all made significant changes, while staying true to the formula, and I really enjoyed all the games. If Nintendo released another 2d game that played like The Minish Cap, but with a new twist, I’d buy it and probably love every minute of it. I don’t necessarily think drastic change is necessary, but I do welcome it.

The full interview will be available in next months Official Nintendo Magazine, scheduled for release on December 18th.

Welbanks

My mom says im cool...
I agree about the whole same formula with minor changes thing, I would much rather prefer they played it safe and did that.
They're always talking about "Surprising" the long time fans, but surprise isnt always a good thing. It could easily be a horrible surprise.

NorthApple

GIVE ME THE APPLE!!
Nah, I think they should go for it- they could always change back in the next game if for some reason it didn't work out. Change is exciting- good or bad, and I think it's time to shake things up a bit more than usual :3

If I wasn't so consumed with anticipation for ST, this would make me pretty hyped- although it is odd it's mentioned at a time like this... maybe it's their fail-safe in case long-time fans don't like ST, showing them they've not forgotten about ZeldaWii :)

Regardless, I like the sound of this. And to Master Kokiri 9 below me, wouldn't it be Zelda VXI (since it's the 16th game, ST is the 15th / XV)?

Last edited:

Master Kokiri 9

The Dungeon Master
Well I have some mixed feelings about Zelda XV having 'surprises' as well. Honestly I myself would look foward to good changes to Zelda XV like maybe something a little brighter in terms of story (I know I like darkness but brightness is cool too) getting back to the good old roots from the original Legend of Zelda but I don't want to see anything too drastic like modern technology (though I like the train in ST it kinda pushes the envelope for me). Heck I'd even like it if it were 2-D (I know it's unlikely though but still). I guess we'll just have to wait and see what Nintendo gives us.

My prediction: revolutionary as OoT and TP.

Cool, I really hope they make some things different, but keep some things the same, you know, the small things that make a Zelda, a Zelda.

N

Notorious NATE

Well by looking at the promotional poster, I really cannot see very many changes. It looks as if the new Zelda Wii uses the same Link as TP, but we'll obviously need more information. It's ridiculous to base a game on just one promotional poster. The game cannot be as crazy as the Wind Waker style though. They're using the same graphic style.

I actually prefer the handheld Zeldas over the console ones. I'll still buy this one, but I need to get past this dumb part on Twilight Princess first. Oh well, I have a year or so to do that. :)

TVTMaster

Guy What's Angry Now
You know the old saying "If it ain't broke, don't fix it"? They seem to be following that philosophy with Spirit Tracks, since from what we can see it's basically using the same structure as Phantom Hourglass, except with fewer dungeons, fewer items, and more restricted mobility- the only thing that could redeem the disaster ST is now is its plot, and that's not showing much promise. Phantom Hourglass was a pretty broke game in the first place, so what it needed was a fix, not more of the same.

However, OoT, TP, and WW are some of the least broke games in history. They have an amazing structure that has worked beautifully for the entire history of the series, a great battle system just beginning to flower with Hidden Skills, an astonishing pedigree of quality, and plenty further to go. However, Nintendo seems to be operating on the philosophy of "If it ain't broke, fix it, and if it's broke, don't fix it", so unfortunately the greatest series in history is being led by a team of numbskulls who don't give a d*** about what works.

Seriously, if you want to create a Zelda-esque game with an entirely different plot, battle system, and structure, just create or acquire a different IP and don't ******* get rid of what everybody loves, you j*******s!

...Maybe I need to calm down about all this.

^ I think it would be a good idea to calm down.

As for the policy you mentioned, it can turn out to be good. What if, a new formula and a new way to do things turned out to be good? What if in the end it became a better game than Ocarina of Time ever was? Would you back up your statements then?

You know the old saying "If it ain't broke, don't fix it"? They seem to be following that philosophy with Spirit Tracks, since from what we can see it's basically using the same structure as Phantom Hourglass, except with fewer dungeons, fewer items, and more restricted mobility- the only thing that could redeem the disaster ST is now is its plot, and that's not showing much promise.

Saying ST is basically PH with fewer dungeons, fewer items, and more restricted mobility is like saying MM is basically OoT with fewer dungeons, fewer items, and a smaller overworld. We all know that's not the case though, and that MM and OoT are completely different games outside of looks and how they control.

Anyway, I'm all for change in the Zelda series. MM, WW, and TMC are my three favorites in the series, and they're definitely the most different games in the series. That's why I'm looking forward to ST, it's shaping up to be a different Zelda experience (to me at least, apparently not to the person I quoted). If Zelda Wii is different like Aonuma says he wants it to be (or, ideas they're exploring), then I'll just be looking forward to it that much more.

TVTMaster

Guy What's Angry Now
"If it ain't broke, fix it, and if it's broke, don't fix it"
Exactly how could this turn out to be good? I'm angry because this is a decision that is more likely than not going to reduce the next game's quality. I'm obviously expecting it to be a better game than OoT- I think a lot of things are better than OoT- I'm not stuck in nostalgia-land like 80% of this forum. However, Zelda Wii could be a lot better than it could be if they'd stick to the Zelda formula and give us a serious game full of lots of great content instead of spending dev time on the new system.

SuperSilly

Horizon Walker
I don't mind that they are going to try a new formula. What I would mind is that if this 'new' suprise is horrible, and that they don't fix it in the installment after Zelda Wii.

I don't think there is anything wrong with the current formula though, in fact I think it would be extremely difficult to create a more sucessful/better one. (One of many reasons why Zelda is my favorite game series.) However if they want to try something new so long as they do a good job of it, which I would expect from Nintendo, then I don't mind at all.

NorthApple

GIVE ME THE APPLE!!
Aren't we jumping a bit to make assuptions that two games yet to be released will already be awful? And here I thought the majority of people were whining for change. I really don't understand Zelda fans sometimes :3

@ TVTMaster:
Numbskulls? Really? Jee, I would never have thought that the team behind one of the most sucessful game series (and "greatest series in history") were a bunch of numbskulls... oh wait. Listen to yourself. They must have made some decisions right then, eh? It must be what they feel is the best way to go about things, and I trust them... but I understand why you're passionate about the series' future (and you're allowed to be, and to have your opinion on it so I won't go on about it anymore) :nerd:

SuperSilly raises a good point though, it would be hard to create a completely new-and-improved formula... but who's to say they have to? Just by adding some more variation in the dungeon order and amount of things to collect would go a long way to freshen up the series a bit, without changing the underlying themes and principles that's worked so far :)
Hey, it's worth them giving it a shot, right?

Last edited:
I think that change is very welcome in the Zelda series, but they can't stray too far from the overall concept. I know that if it ain't broke, don't fix it, but who knows, maybe the change could work. Although I wouldn't complain if they came out with a Zelda with the same formula we're used to. :)

Still, it would be nice to see them mix things up a little. We can all predict when a new item or dungeon is going to come up, and generally how the flow of dungeons will go (e.g. earth dungeon first, then fire, then water, etc.), but why not mix it up a bit? Like, have some items be found not in dungeons, but instead in remote corners of the overworld. It would also be good if they make the world more expansive and immersive, with more towns and realistically-designed dungeons.

So yeah, I definitely support it. I'm so curious to see what they come up with!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom