• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Zelda Vs. Mario

Zelda Vs. Mario: Nintendo's Mascot?

• Zelda

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mario

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

PhantomTriforce

I am a Person of Interest
If there was one character I could pick who would represent Nintendo, it would be Mario. It is a much bigger, and more popular series than Zelda, and more classic too. Zelda, I believe, is for people who are more into Nintendo, same goes with Metroid.

Master Kokiri 9

The Dungeon Master
Well, Mario is definately more suited to be the mascot.

Super Mario is Nintendo's longest running series, Mario is a worldwide icon on the same level as Mickey Mouse, it's also one of Nintendo's most highly regarded series (IE SMG 1 & 2 are both up in the three highest rated games of all time, SM64 actually deserves all the love it gets, all the RPG's have great scores, almost every single platformer has gotten great scores [excluding SMB2 and SMS :(], etc. etc.), and finally it just straight up represents what Nintendo is: it isn't always all deep and moving like Zelda or Final Fantasy, it's just pure mindless fun for all ages.

I vote Zelda. There may be alot of Mario games, but most of them just get repetitive. (Mario Party Series, Mario Sports Series, Ect.)

Zelda keeps it's gameplay fresh every new game. There's always something new in every Zelda game, for instance:

-The time cycle in MM
-Wii Motion Plus in SS
-Touch Screen controls in PH
-Wolf Link Transformation in TP
-Experience Points in Zelda II

Well, I might be a Zelda fan, but that doesn't mean that I would choose Zelda for Nintendo's mascot. I don't think I even care. All I know is that Mario will always be the Mascot of Nintendo. Why? Because it was the first game that Nintendo created. Mario also brought Nintendo alive. Without Mario there wouldn't be a Nintendo. Mario is like the savior of Nintendo. Mario will always be the mascot for Nintendo.

Mario is the best suited for Nintendo's mascot. I don't really see why so many people think Link should be it, no offense to those people who chose Zelda in the poll.

Mario is Mr. Nintendo. You used to see his face on the back of every instruction booklet you got when you bought a new game. I'm pretty sure if you were to take the instruction booklet of, say, Ocarina of Time or Majora's Mask, and look at the back, you'd see Mario's face. I wouldn't know since I don't have those instruction booklets, but I still have a few N64 games' instruction booklets, and sure enough, he was on there. One of those was Pokemon Stadium, so there's no doubt in my mind that he's on the back of Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask's instruction booklets.

Mario also has great games. The Super Mario Bros. series is the longest running one. He's also had many other games in other styles. Other series in Mario are Paper Mario, which I think we can fit Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars with that series, and Mario & Luigi, those two series being RPGs. His series was also the one of first to go 3D, and those games were fun, and still are fun to play today.

Last but not least, his spin-offs. Even though I hate them all, except for the Mario Kart series, it shows just how versatile he is. Mario can play soccer, he can play baseball, he can race, he can hold parties that get repetitive, yet people still buy them. I'm not one for spin-offs for Mario since I just don't like them anymore, but they prove why he's a better choice in mascot for Nintendo.

Majora's Cat

How about that
@ Pocket Asian

Yes, that is all very correct. I have no clue why Zelda is winning in the poll. Perhaps some people are misinterpreting the meaning of this thread.

Aero_Dynamic

エアロダイナミック
As much as how I love The Legend of Zelda, Nintendo likes Mario for their main mascot.

Austin

Austin
In my opinion, this isn't even a question. And I'm getting the feeling that too many people are voting based on the title alone :facepalm:. Regardless of what franchise is "better", it's clear that Mario is far more suited than Link to be Nintendo's mascot.

athenian200

Circumspect
a place of settlement, activity, or residence.
I think that Zelda would make a better mascot for Nintendo than Mario for the following reasons:

1. Nintendo is always accused of catering more to children than any other group. Having Link as part of their main image would help combat that notion, because Zelda has a much broader age appeal than Mario.

2. Mario has basically been done to death... there's no sense of it being a meaningful series anymore. He's just been tossed into so many games that it no longer feels as though there's potential for immersion. Mario is a series that breaks the fourth wall far too often to be taken seriously.

3. Mario is very inconsistent, and has not even the vaguest sense of time or geographical features. The Mushroom Kingdom is often nothing more than a series of blocks and enemies. Even the allegiances of Bowser are inconsistent... one day he's evil, the next he's good, and this fickleness is accepted with no rhyme or reason.

That is why Nintendo should adopt Zelda as their mascot. Don't get me wrong, Mario was awesome back in the NES and SNES days... but he's just been overused and poorly developed since then, as a marketing tool. They basically need to start over with another franchise, and try to avoid hurting their own reputation with cheap, sloppy games like Mario Party.

Okay, maybe I just wanted to make an argument for Zelda, since most arguments on here are being made in favor of Mario, and Zelda voters are usually not backing up their opinion.

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
SUPER FRICKEN MARIO HANDS ALL THE WAY DOWN TO HELL!!! The Legend of Zelda is awesome and stuff, but Mario is too big to replace. Not a single person in this multiverse doesn't know who Mario is. Mario is Nintendo forever. The Legend of Zelda just can't replace Mario, no one can. People still refer to Link as Zelda so that's not a wise choice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom