• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breath of the Wild Zelda U's in-game completion time

I'll take as much as content as Nintendo can put out at the quality we've come to expect from the Zelda series. I don't want to see compromises being made for open world like they are in the Bethesda's open world games, or copy-paste stuff like Ubisoft's open world. Still, I'm expecting something longer than past Zelda games, so 50 hours seems like a good starting point. If Zelda U goes a bit deeper into upgrade systems and the like then the game length could go up substantially, but it's tough to make a call on how long it will be at the moment with the information we have.

Reactions: Dio

Mellow Ezlo

Spoony Bard
The only Zelda game that still takes me longer than 20 hours to beat is Twilight Princess. I could beat every Zelda game in just 10 or 11 days if I really tried. I don't want that anymore, I want a game that I can sit down and have fun with for a really long time. I want a game that I can spend 4 years on and still not find anything. I don't want the sidequests to be dull either, they should be fun, engaging, mostly story relevant quests. There should be some serious motivation to complete them. This is Nintendo's opportunity to make a game a la Skyrim, I'd love it if they don't mess that up. I have my doubts, but still, at least with the 5+ year development period, I have some small hopes that Nintendo's taking their time with it so they can cram as much fun stuff as possible.

Skyrim is an incredibly short game. You can beat the main quest in 7 hours using no exploits, and the major sidequests should take about 3 hours each. (Thieves' Guild, College of Winterhold, Companions' Guild, Dark Brotherhood, Civil War). So, yeah, that's about 22 hours, even assuming you dawdle off in a few dungeons on the way.

Honestly, I think the most comparable 3D Zelda game for Zelda U would probably be The Wind Waker, which took me about 45 hours on my first playthrough.

quality over quantity. I'd rather have a short story where everthing is tought through, than 100 hours of gta missions in a zelda mold.

This times 1000!! So many games out there (MGSV, Witcher, Skyrim, etc) have hundreds and hundreds of missions, but they're all the same. If it werent for a few cutscenes, you can't tell the actual story missions apart from the side quest missions.

So yes, you have hundreds of missions and dungeons but how many of them are AMAZING? A Link Between Worlds is only 20 hours long but all of it is AMAZING!

CrimsonCavalier

Fuzzy Pickles
I want a main story that genuinely takes about 50 hours to complete. That is, main quest, no side quests. I also want side quests—completely optional side quests—that may take another 50+ hours. I want them to be optional, but definitely worth my time. I want the game to be able to be completed without doing a single side quest, but I want the side quests to be so intriguing that you just have to do them.

What I don't want is generic, repetitive side quests like what we saw in Skyrim and are seeing in Xenoblade X. Fetch quests are the absolute worst. I can't stand fetch quests. They're an absolutely cheap way to expand the completion time of a game.

If they're feeling particularly bold, they could do guilds, like in the Elder Scrolls series, and have entire quest lines that have nothing to do with/or are slightly relevant to the main story.

We kinda already did have guild-like sidequests in the Gamecube Zeldas. I wouldn't mind them expanding on this concept.

Bethesda's problem was that they wanted to have their cake and eat it, too. They wanted Skyrim to be an RPG, while also never allowing the game to say no to the player. This meant that you could be a skinny milkdrinking mage and still join The Companions, meaning that modern Bethesda RPG's lack real consequences in a genre that kind of revolves around consequences.

Zelda doesn't have this restriction, meaning that you could give the game a **** ton of amazing guild quests and they'll still have plenty of cohesion in the world because Link doesn't really develop that much outside of his inventory.

And there's really only one thing they need to do to pull it off right: Do it like Zelda. This means no handholding, no quest markers, nothing. Skyrim's problem was trying to incorporate exploration as a selling point in a very story-driven genre. Zelda's already exploration-driven, so it should be easy.

Come on, you can do it, Nintendo!

The Omni Triforcer

Hero Of Time And Space
I want a good zelda story and a big open world with alot for me to explore. For me i will probably spend at least about 10 hours exploring the world seeing what the world is all about and taking it all in before doing any side quests or even the main quest. I want this zelda game to be at least 70 hours long with lots of content. With the amount of time nintendo has been putting into this game i dont see 100+ hours as unreasonable i see it as completely reasonable especially after that year long delay. And dont even try to tell me that the wii u cant handle it because the wii u can most definitely handle a big game like that just look at xenoblade.

Zonda

Meme Connoisseur
I don't know, really. Some games work well with only 16 hours of story, but TP didn't feel grind-y and managed to pull off the biggest Playtime to far.

I'm sure the Devs will handle it right.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom