• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Zelda U: Motion Controls, GamePad or Pro Controller

When we do end up getting that Legend of Zelda for Wii U, how do you want it?

Even though it seems the idea might be scrapped, I still think they should consider motion controls.

The GamePad would be useful for map and inventory.

The Pro Controller would make better use for old school control.

Which of the three would you like to see Zelda U use?

RedDekuScrub

Red as the Crimson Sun
I think that the Gamepad and Wii remote should be used together. The Gamepad should always show the map and gear. The player would use the Wii remote like in Skyward Sword. Although, if the game supported the Gamepad TV screen function, the player would also have to be able to control Link with the Gamepad buttons.

fused_shadows

Brave Knight of Truth
I want then to fully enable the GamePad to the best of its abilities. Yeah SS's motion controls were awesome, but I would the next consile Zelda to be something new and innovative. Using the GamePad in ways that is unimaginable is something that would blow my mind.

RedDekuScrub

Red as the Crimson Sun
I want then to fully enable the GamePad to the best of its abilities. Yeah SS's motion controls were awesome, but I would the next consile Zelda to be something new and innovative. Using the GamePad in ways that is unimaginable is something that would blow my mind.

I can see them doing things like drawing on the Gamepad, organization, and providing great use of the map! Maybe E3 2013 will answer all of our questions!

Dan

The gamepad will be an expensive bit of kit. I want to get the most out of it.
Nintendo will obviously lean towards the game-pad as that seems to be the main focus of the wii u.

Garo

Boy Wonder
GamePad for sure. It would be horrid to ignore the new controller in favor of motion controls which received mixed reception anyway. The prospect of having the inventory and map on the GamePad's touchscreen, and allowing us to annotate the maps, would allow them to create considerably more difficult dungeons than what we've been getting. Oh man oh man I want that.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Combination of Pro Controller for the oldbies like myself, and Gamepad for on the go Inventory selection. I don't hate SS' motion controls, in fact I love them, it's just that Miyamoto even said that he was looking into scrapping motion controls to appeal to larger audiences (cue SS fans rage).

In addition, Miyamoto is looking at the idea of removing motion control gameplay. This feature was neat in Skyward Sword, but it caused some players to stop and quit the game. With the new controller being more focused on hardcore gameplay, Miyamoto is looking to return to a classic style of Zelda gameplay, that which the fans and newcomers would enjoy.

Source: Shigeru Miyamoto on Zelda » Zelda News - Zelda Universe

So yeah, I want Pro Controller simply because it's the stuff I'm used to, and GamePad because I'm all into trying new things.

Emma

The Cassandra
Site Staff
I'd say GamePad is most likely. Nintendo loves to capitalize on its gimmicks. Motion controls again are also likely. There's not a lot of chance that the Pro controller would be supported. But I'd be delighted if it was. It shouldn't be difficult to do it. But Nintendo doesn't have a good history with supporting alternatives. Even if it is technically "supported" they tend cripple it in some way so that you're still forced to use the gimmicked way. Like having the aiming controls with the CirclePad slow to respond in Ocarina of Time 3D, essentially forcing you to use the gyro controls to aim. There was no good reason to do that, it wasn't like that in the original version and everything else has the same kind of response to the CirclePad as the original controls. It was intentional to encourage you to use the gimmick controls. This is the same thing I expect from Zelda Wii U. In some way, we'll have some gimmicks force-fed on us.

I LOVE the motion control in SS but I think since the gamepad is the focus of Wii U then most likely it would be a traditional zelda game with the same control as TP. Maybe a little motion but not for everything in the game like SS.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
I'm not too fussed personally because I will play it either way. Although to appeal to the most people they should use the game-pad. Motion controls are something Miyamoto said put some people off Skyward Sword. The touchscreen could be used for the map, inventory, enemy Intel... There are so many new and interesting things they could do with the game pad that they would be a bit mad not to especially for their first Wii U zelda.

Terminus

If I was a wizard this wouldn't be happening to me
Wiimote-Sword
Game-Pad-Items, Map, etc... also, the Game-Pad could be used as a 1:1 analog for the shield.
Wii U Pro Controller- Once you have good motion controls it's hard to go back.

Also with the Wiimote there could be a Lefty Mode so people don't gripe about Link being a Righty, thereby alleving some of the argument the "purists" use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom