• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breath of the Wild Zelda U May NOT Even Have a Place in the Timeline

VitaTempusN92

Hero of Time! The True Zelda Genius!
One the thing I FORGOT to point out is that, you know how the game franchise is called "The Legend of Zelda"? Well it just occurred to me, if Zelda U has it where YOU the PLAYER create your OWN story, then HOW the heck is THAT considered a LEGEND? You see what I mean about this whole "create your own story" Zelda game being a problem, THIS is EXACTLY what I mean. The franchise is called "The LEGEND of Zelda" for a reason. A legend is supposed to be a story that already EXISTS, a story that ALREADY HAPPENED within HISTORY, NOT a story that doesn't exist until YOU make it so in your own whatever way, that would be a legacy. A legend is a story that is PAST, a legacy could either be a present reoccurring cycle of tradition passes on throughout the generations occurring in many different ways from past, present, and FUTURE, OR not only that, but a legacy can actually also be STARTED/MADE as a "story yet to be written" or a "tradition/cycle yet to be made", in other words, a legacy CAN actually be something that doesn't exist yet as where a legend CANNOT. Just something I wanted to throw out there.

Hope you enjoy the NEW "The Legacy of Zelda" game for Wii U when the game comes out in 2015/2016. *sigh*

Last edited:

Mr Reaper

Fear The Reaper
Geez man you don't need to take a name so seriously, working by that logic you might as well condemn the game for not having Zelda as the main character.

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
I think this is all getting a bit out of hand... I mean my goodness nothing is perfect, even everybodies personal favorite game has problems. There is no such thing as a "perfect" game, there is no such thing, and probably never will be such a thing. We deal with what we get and overlook the problems.

Jamie

Till the roof comes off, till the lights go out...
trans-pan-demi-ethno-christian-math-autis-genderfluid-cheesecake
Wait for the damn game to come out. Jesus Christ.

VitaTempusN92

Geez man you don't need to take a name so seriously, working by that logic you might as well condemn the game for not having Zelda as the main character.

Well, technically, Zelda IS a main major important character in the series and SS DOES in FACT explain WHY. I know she isn't in LA and only made a small appearance in a flashback in MM, that's cause, even though she is important to the series, she doesn't have to be in EVERY Legend of Zelda game. So Zelda is in the title for a reason too you know.

Doc

BoDoc Horseman
One the thing I FORGOT to point out is that, you know how the game franchise is called "The Legend of Zelda"? Well it just occurred to me, if Zelda U has it where YOU the PLAYER create your OWN story, then HOW the heck is THAT considered a LEGEND? You see what I mean about this whole "create your own story" Zelda game being a problem, THIS is EXACTLY what I mean. The franchise is called "The LEGEND of Zelda" for a reason. A legend is supposed to be a story that already EXISTS, a story that ALREADY HAPPENED within HISTORY, NOT a story that doesn't exist until YOU make it so in your own whatever way, that would be a legacy. A legend is a story that is PAST, a legacy could either be a present reoccurring cycle of tradition passes on throughout the generations occurring in many different ways from past, present, and FUTURE, OR not only that, but a legacy can actually also be STARTED/MADE as a "story yet to be written" or a "tradition/cycle yet to be made", in other words, a legacy CAN actually be something that doesn't exist yet as where a legend CANNOT. Just something I wanted to throw out there.

Hope you enjoy the NEW "The Legacy of Zelda" game for Wii U when the game comes out in 2015/2016. *sigh*

However, the original Legend of Zelda and many of the older titles follow a logic that is, technically, the player chooses the adventure. Many of the first few titles, the player can go to any dungeon in any order; regardless of the fact that they are still legends. How can someone do the Water Temple before the Fire Temple, while I do it the other way? Because the first person chose to do it differently. This person chose the order of the story.

We don't fully know what Aonuma meant by "choose your own story". All that we can do is speculate, so he may very well have meant that the player can literally affect the story with their choices. Or he could have meant the player can choose the order of the story. We have no way of knowing which, so it is impossible to act as though possibilities are set in stone.

VitaTempusN92

However, the original Legend of Zelda and many of the older titles follow a logic that is, technically, the player chooses the adventure. Many of the first few titles, the player can go to any dungeon in any order; regardless of the fact that they are still legends. How can someone do the Water Temple before the Fire Temple, while I do it the other way? Because the first person chose to do it differently. This person chose the order of the story.

We don't fully know what Aonuma meant by "choose your own story". All that we can do is speculate, so he may very well have meant that the player can literally affect the story with their choices. Or he could have meant the player can choose the order of the story. We have no way of knowing which, so it is impossible to act as though possibilities are set in stone.

Yes, I know that but at least Zelda 1 still had a STORY that already EXISTS. ALBW had this too, where you could complete the dungeons in any order and guess what, that too also had a STORY and PLOT that already EXISTS.

The point is that it's possible to make a free roam Zelda game where you can complete dungeons in ANY order and the game can STILL have a STORY and PLOT that already EXISTS. Zelda 1 and ALBW PROVED this. So Aonuma COULD have done the SAME kind thing with Zelda U and still have the "bigger open world" idea IF he wanted to but INSTEAD, stupid Aonuma decides to be jerk and tells everyone that HE THINKS that Zelda doesn't need to be a LEGEND anymore where the stories already exist, where you play through the legend in your own way and that HE WANTS to CHANGE that fact that Zelda is a LEGEND by making Zelda games like Zelda U where the PLAYER decides the story, making this "new world of Zelda" a LEGACY rather than a LEGEND, thus DESTROYING the MEANING of "The Legend of Zelda".

Last edited:

Doc

BoDoc Horseman
The point is that it's possible to make a free roam Zelda game where you can complete dungeons in ANY order and the game can STILL have a STORY and PLOT that already EXISTS. Zelda 1 and ALBW PROVED this. So Aonuma COULD have done the SAME kind thing with Zelda U and still have the "bigger open world" idea IF he wanted to but INSTEAD, stupid Aonuma decides to be jerk and tells everyone that HE THINKS that Zelda doesn't need to be a LEGEND anymore where the stories already exist, where you play through the legend in your own way and that HE WANTS to CHANGE that fact that Zelda is a LEGEND by making Zelda games like Zelda U where the PLAYER decides the story, making this "new world of Zelda" a LEGACY rather than a LEGEND, thus DESTROYING the MEANING of "The Legend of Zelda".

None of this has been proven, and, as I have already explained, he could mean a number of things. However, you keep speaking as though it is fact that Zelda U will have a story that can be drastically changed and differed based on characters choices. I feel as though you are taking his quotes far too literally.

Aonuma likes to keep the fan base wondering, and so he uses these vague quotes that may not necessarily mean anything. For example, after he made the quote implyinh that the character shown in the E3 trailer may not be Link, many fans jumped on it and began talking. As we all know now, the character was, in fact, Link. Aonuma had only said this to get fans to speculate. Due to this, its hard for anyone to really know what the plans are for upcoming titles.

ZeldafreakCJM

Hey there, it's me.
Once again, I'd like to say we just need to wait and see. I'll agree with Vita though, while we have no idea what these quotes mean, I for one do not want to see the story drawn back or drastically altered. This isn't Elder Scrolls, there needs to be one path through the story and that path needs to be canon, so while I don't think it'd be a terrible addition, Zelda does not need multiple story paths and should frankly just focus on one. As for the timeline, while I understand the concern that it limits Nintendo's freedom, I think that concern is overblown. Most of the timeline has huge gaps in-between titles that could easily contain one or two extra titles, and there's nothing stopping Nintendo from adding games to the end of any of them. Finally, the story in Zelda U needs to at least be on par with WW, TP, or SS, there's no reason to draw that back, that's not progression, it's regression.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom