• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breath of the Wild Zelda U May NOT Even Have a Place in the Timeline

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
Even if Zelda Wii U isn't on the timeline it doesn't really matter much anyway, but right now its far to early to make speculations on what very little info we have about the game. Its to early to try and judge anything about Zelda Wii U, we all need to just sit back and wait until we get more info, and then if you'd like you can speculate. Right now is not the time to speculate.

VitaTempusN92

Hero of Time! The True Zelda Genius!
Well, it seems that I may be right about this "unfortunate" possibility of Zelda U NOT even having a place in the timeline after all. Upon surfing the net, I came across more evidence that sadly backs up this possibility, thus raising the percentage level to at least somewhere between 92% and 95%. Here is the evidence I found:

Aonuma:What I really, really want to create, what my ultimate hope or goal is, to create a game without a story – not to say that the story is nonexistent, but it’s a story that isn’t already created. It’s a story that the player, in interacting with the space or environment, creates. So, a story that is defined by the player, not one that is already prepared, and a game that just kind of follows that path, if that makes sense.

This quote is actually from a interview Aonuma had with MTV last year, I'm honestly quite surprised that NO ONE hasn't even brought this up until just more recently, that is actually very sad if ask me. I find it sad how this just proves how dumb people are, failing to see how much of a troll Aonuma is. Aonuma is LITERALLY, KILLING the Zelda we KNOW and LOVE and people just don't CARE as they keep buying into his nonsense about his so called RESPECT for the series out of LOYALTY. I will NOT stand for this is all I gotta say.

Anyways, that's all for now. For anyone who asks here's the link to the source where I found the quote:

http://www.gengame.net/2013/09/aonuma-my-ultimate-goal-is-to-create-a-game-without-a-story/

Jamie

Till the roof comes off, till the lights go out...
trans-pan-demi-ethno-christian-math-autis-genderfluid-cheesecake
Well, it seems that I may be right about this "unfortunate" possibility of Zelda U NOT even having a place in the timeline after all. Upon surfing the net, I came across more evidence that sadly backs up this possibility, thus raising the percentage level to at least somewhere between 92% and 95%. Here is the evidence I found:
Please tell me the calculations you did to reach these exact percentages?

This quote is actually from a interview Aonuma had with MTV last year, I'm honestly quite surprised that NO ONE hasn't even brought this up until just more recently, that is actually very sad if ask me. I find it sad how this just proves how dumb people are, failing to see how much of a troll Aonuma is. Aonuma is LITERALLY, KILLING the Zelda we KNOW and LOVE and people just don't CARE as they keep buying into his nonsense about his so called RESPECT for the series out of LOYALTY.
Why all of the caps? Anyway, you don't know what will happen because the game isn't out yet. Calm down dude, it's just a video game, and literally nothing is confirmed. Anyway, it has to have some sort of beginning middle and end. I figure he means something more along the lines of Mass Effect where there is a story but you choose what goes on in the story. There's gotta be a final boss. Things get lost in translation. Wait until the game comes out.

I will NOT stand for this is all I gotta say.
What are you going to do? Not buy the game? I'm sure the biggest video game company in the world is really going to miss your $70.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
1) Zelda being multi-player - Why do you like or hate this idea? Single player is the most important thing but 2 player could work. No more than 2 player though.
2) Being able to play as a male or female - Should he remain a male? Link is a male and should remain male
3) Open world like the first Zelda - What are your thoughts on this? Open world could be good like SKYRIM
4) Customization for Link - Good idea or bad? Good, for his clothes, bad for his face.
5) What if Zelda was the protagonist - Are you open to this concept? Explain why or why not. No I'm not open to it. The main protagonist is link, they could do a spin off with Zelda but they would have to call it something else and not TLOZ:
6) Voice acting - Yay or nay and why? Yes, it is long overdue, they are idiots for leaving it so long and it has just made certain fans even more apprehensive about it. Which has made Nintendo more apprehensive about putting it in. Honestly if they don't do it you will be hearing me complaining until the release of the next Zelda title.
7) What is Zelda to you - Story, no puzzles, wait no... Share your opinion. Story, Hylian lore, adventuring, action, dungeons and bossess. The Triforce.
8) Reboot of Zelda - What are your thoughts on this? Should they? Yes at some stage, still there are places in the current timeline they should explore first.
9) Based on what you have seen so far in the vid, are you hating or liking? NO middle men. I am liking. I like the look and the use of lazerbomb arrows against tentacle robots.
10) Another Zelda universe - this is good or bad? Like with Hyrule Warriors, I suppose it is good for spin offs.
11) Link is suppose to represent the player, some fall into RP and do just that, others don't. - Which do you prefer and why? Quite frankly I would butcher half the citizens of Hyrule given my own choice. I think it is better to play as a character rather than a blank slate like in Fallout or Skyrim where you are truly free to do what you want.

ZeldafreakCJM

Hey there, it's me.

This quote is actually from a interview Aonuma had with MTV last year, I'm honestly quite surprised that NO ONE hasn't even brought this up until just more recently, that is actually very sad if ask me. I find it sad how this just proves how dumb people are, failing to see how much of a troll Aonuma is. Aonuma is LITERALLY, KILLING the Zelda we KNOW and LOVE and people just don't CARE as they keep buying into his nonsense about his so called RESPECT for the series out of LOYALTY. I will NOT stand for this is all I gotta say.
Anyways, that's all for now. For anyone who asks here's the link to the source where I found the quote:

http://www.gengame.net/2013/09/aonuma-my-ultimate-goal-is-to-create-a-game-without-a-story/

While that quote is certainly worrisome, considering I love Zelda stories, we're just gonna have to wait and see. Developers say a lot of cryptic stuff before showing their products, so it's possible all these quotes could actually be not as bad as they sound. Also it's likely we'll see more of Zelda U sometime this year or early next year, assuming it is indeed a 2015 title.

Salem

SICK

Aonuma:What I really, really want to create, what my ultimate hope or goal is, to create a game without a story – not to say that the story is nonexistent, but it’s a story that isn’t already created. It’s a story that the player, in interacting with the space or environment, creates. So, a story that is defined by the player, not one that is already prepared, and a game that just kind of follows that path, if that makes sense.

Removing the story is something I wanted but I never knew he would do it.:O

I don't think Aonuma meant that he's removing story elements completely from the game, but rather wants the player to be the one to create it. What you do, where you go, the people you talk to, etc., make up certain events and obstacles you'll later meet in the game. Everyone has a same beginning, but the choices you make throughout defines your ending.

Heck, maybe there could even be several companions to choose from, or even have multiple going along on your journey

I think you're kinda taking what he's saying too literally, but that's just me...

Some of you are taking this way too literally, of course Zelda U will have story elements, the game would have no foundation without them, we wouldn't be crawling through dungeons and fighting the Evil King of Jerks from Hell if we had no reason too. All he meant is that there won't 10 minute introductions to spell out the whole game for us, this time we have to get it ourselves.

Anyway
1) Zelda being multi-player - Why do you like or hate this idea?
I would like to have some VS. Mode or a free roam Co-op, so yes
2) Being able to play as a male or female - Should he remain a male?
I don't see why not, to people who say LINK IS A CHARACTER: the female can be one too ;)
3) Open world like the first Zelda - What are your thoughts on this?
Open world, yes, but there will need to be some structure such as knowing where to go and what to do
4) Customization for Link - Good idea or bad?
I've been waiting for that for years
5) What if Zelda was the protagonist - Are you open to this concept? Explain why or why not.
No, I hate Zelda
6) Voice acting - Yay or nay and why?
Nah, maybe another time when a game is more story focused
7) What is Zelda to you - Story, no puzzles, wait no... Share your opinion.
Characters and sometimes story, puzzles and dungeons have been way too laughable lately, they feel like a distraction
8) Reboot of Zelda - What are your thoughts on this? Should they?
No, rebooting a franchise means that the creators gave up on it
9) Based on what you have seen so far in the vid, are you hating or liking? NO middle men.
Oh yeah
10) Another Zelda universe - this is good or bad?
Save those for the spinoffs
11) Link is suppose to represent the player, some fall into RP and do just that, others don't. - Which do you prefer and why?
I liked where we were in OoT, TP and SS were way too far out

Mr Reaper

Fear The Reaper
I hope it isn't on the timeline, if you ask me the Zelda series should just wipe everything and make a new IP, sort of like what Bioware is doing with Mass Effect 4.

VitaTempusN92

I don't think Aonuma meant that he's removing story elements completely from the game, but rather wants the player to be the one to create it. What you do, where you go, the people you talk to, etc., make up certain events and obstacles you'll later meet in the game. Everyone has a same beginning, but the choices you make throughout defines your ending.

Heck, maybe there could even be several companions to choose from, or even have multiple going along on your journey

I think you're kinda taking what he's saying too literally, but that's just me...

This is EXACTLY the problem here. Zelda ALREADY has STORIES and a TIMELINE that ALREADY exist, the FACT that Aonuma wants to make the next coming games starting with Zelda U where the player decides the story is BAD for a TIMELINE, especially a TIMELINE in which COMPLETE STORIES already exist within. You people just don't understand just how seriously bad this is. If Aonuma goes through with this and somehow Zelda U is forced in the timeline somewhere as if same should happen with future titles, the official timeline will get more and more confusing than it initially did. WHY? More SPLITS, that's WHY! Even with a new REBOOT timeline, even THAT timeline would have the same problems when placing games like Zelda U in it. Only with a new reboot timeline, that would make things worse cause then we would have a timeline that's filled with ONLY SPLITS. That would be BAD. No timeline should have THAT many SPLITS. IF Aonuma goes through with THIS, the official timeline will eventually be a MESS unless if Aonuma does away with the timeline which is what might end up being the case anyways. In other words, IF this HAPPENS, the Zelda Timeline WILL go down into the ARCHIVE ZONE or WORSE, TORN UP. When I said Aonuma is killing Zelda as we know it, THIS IS WHAT I MEANT. You can continue to buy into his nonsense and let him kill Zelda if that is what you want but I will NOT stand for this and watch my #1 most favorite video game franchise DIE like this cause I'm a TRUE faithful fan of the series, always have been since childhood, always will be until the end. If you are a TRUE Zelda fan, you would at least understand my feelings.

I hope it isn't on the timeline, if you ask me the Zelda series should just wipe everything and make a new IP, sort of like what Bioware is doing with Mass Effect 4.

If that's what you think should happen, then you're obviously not a true Zelda fan then now are you.

Last edited:

Mr Reaper

Fear The Reaper
If that's what you think should happen, then you're obviously not a true Zelda fan then now are you.

Hey now that's a little too harsh, I was really just referring to the story. Nintendo has took what could've been separate universes with similar traits (like Final Fantasy does but with an emphasis on shared traits) and completely shoved it down the drain. To put a bunch of stories that do fine independently (albeit with some throwbacks like TP and WW) all together into one is just a mess. The continuum of the Zelda universe at this point is more convoluted than Metal Gear Solid and Bioshock Infinite put together. What I was trying to say is that Nintendo should just create a new Zelda universe completely separate from the timeline and continue from there, because as things stand now, Nintendo has little hope of telling a coherent story without all of this confusing timeline nonsense getting in the way.

VitaTempusN92

Hey now that's a little too harsh, I was really just referring to the story. Nintendo has took what could've been separate universes with similar traits (like Final Fantasy does but with an emphasis on shared traits) and completely shoved it down the drain. To put a bunch of stories that do fine independently (albeit with some throwbacks like TP and WW) all together into one is just a mess. The continuum of the Zelda universe at this point is more convoluted than Metal Gear Solid and Bioshock Infinite put together. What I was trying to say is that Nintendo should just create a new Zelda universe completely separate from the timeline and continue from there, because as things stand now, Nintendo has little hope of telling a coherent story without all of this confusing timeline nonsense getting in the way.

Have you PLAYED Twilight Princess? Have you PLAYED Wind Waker? Have you PLAYED A Link Between Worlds? Obviously not. I don't know if you've noticed but some of the games actually DO refer to stuff from the other games. Twilight Princess had the Hero of Time as the Hero's Shade, Wind Waker had the Adult time of OoT for a backstory, A Link Between Worlds had A Link to the Past for a backstory. Just by playing these games and reading about their stories, backstories, and lore, we could NEVER deny that there was a timeline that links these games together. Yes, I find the current official timeline as it is now to be a bit confusing so I understand that that is where the negative reviews towards derive from but that can be fixed if Nintendo would just decide to do so rather than instead just letting Aonuma take it and throw it out with window.

Personally, I think where MOST of the confusion comes from is with Four Swords games placements, more in particularly Minish Cap and Four Swords where the ONLY reason that Minish Cap is in the pre-split timeline because of Nintendo's brain fart mistake in placing Four Swords before OoT ALL because of how the map looked in the game, because of that and since Minish Cap being the game that tells the origins of Four Sword, REGARDLESS of ANYTHING else present in the game like the map's design or how modern Hyrule was in the game, the game was FORCED to be placed before OoT as well BECAUSE of the PLACEMENT of FOUR SWORDS. Then of course the rest of the confusion derives from the existence of the defeated timeline. To me, unlike with the four swords games, I find this to be less confusing cause most of what makes this timeline branch confusing to most people is mostly just HOW it exists. I can't really get into details on my theory and opinion on that right now cause it's little hard to explain without going into in depth details and a whole another paragraph full of stuff.

Anyways, that's all I have to say right now, I'm tired. :tired:

Mr Reaper

Fear The Reaper
Have you PLAYED Twilight Princess? Have you PLAYED Wind Waker? Have you PLAYED A Link Between Worlds? Obviously not. I don't know if you've noticed but some of the games actually DO refer to stuff from the other games.
You misinterpreted what I said, notice the parenthesis in the first sentence you bolded. I acknowledged that Zelda titles tend to lean on each other for backstory and this does set up many of the plotlines, but that's as far as it goes, it turns into a mess when you go into detail. What I was trying to get at is that these games do nothing but use a few select details from their predecessor to set up a backstory, which was working until an official timeline was added. Now Nintendo has to work this timeline into a coherent, straightforward story, which, as a whole, it is not, and adding more games to the timeline will only worsen this problem. If Nintendo never made an official timeline, they would have much more creative freedom with the Zelda story without making it into a big headache.

I'm not trying to argue with you, I'm just trying to clear up any misconceptions you may have about what I'm trying to say.

VitaTempusN92

You misinterpreted what I said, notice the parenthesis in the first sentence you bolded. I acknowledged that Zelda titles tend to lean on each other for backstory and this does set up many of the plotlines, but that's as far as it goes, it turns into a mess when you go into detail. What I was trying to get at is that these games do nothing but use a few select details from their predecessor to set up a backstory, which was working until an official timeline was added. Now Nintendo has to work this timeline into a coherent, straightforward story, which, as a whole, it is not, and adding more games to the timeline will only worsen this problem. If Nintendo never made an official timeline, they would have much more creative freedom with the Zelda story without making it into a big headache.

I'm not trying to argue with you, I'm just trying to clear up any misconceptions you may have about what I'm trying to say.

Did you READ the entirety of my post? Also, I may not have thought so at first but now I'm actually GLAD that they actually at least released SOMETHING of a TIMELINE. If it weren't for an official timeline, fans would still be in doubt that there even was a timeline cause the kind of things Nintendo would say here and there in regards to such thing before they finally admitted that there's a "master timeline" in around 2010/2011 and finally released the timeline in Japan in December 2011 and Worldwide in January 2013. I've ALWAYS known there was a timeline present among the games since I first got into the series. How? Almost EVERY game I've played since then has ALWAYS suggested so. And I've been playing Zelda games since when I was at least FOUR years old! While you weren't even born yet, I was playing A Link to the Past on the SNES. So I've known things about Zelda LONGER than you've lived kid, so I KNOW what I'm talking about when it comes to Zelda. Now I'm NOT trying to offend you anyway, so sorry if I come as offensive, I don't mean to, I'm just being honest and speaking with passion, it's just the way I am sometimes, especially when it comes to stuff like Zelda. So please don't be offended.

Mr Reaper

Fear The Reaper
I was only saying that IN MY OPINION, the series would be better off without an official overarching timeline, it should've been something left to speculation and fan theories because now Nintendo has to work around all of these pre-existing titles to form a narrative.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom