• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breath of the Wild Zelda U: How Many Dungeons Do You Wanna See?

How many dungeons do you want to see in Zelda U?

• 4 or Less

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5-7

• 8-10

• 11 or 12

• More than 12!!!

• Total voters

ZeldafreakCJM

Hey there, it's me.
Email: Zelda is, and has always been, linear « Malstrom’s Articles News
???

You can complete the dungeons in virtually any order in a vastly open world. How is that not non-linear?

Mehaps not not non-linear but not as non-linear as many remember. Several of the dungeons are required to be played first before the next and where there isn't a physical barrier to prevent progression the game pelts you with enemies that could be dispersed more easily with an item from a previous dungeon. I left a link to help explain what I mean. I don't think Zelda 1 isn't non-linear I just don't agree with the notion that any of the newer games have ever veared away from its genearl structure. I genuinely believe if Zelda 1 had been made with today's technology it would be just as linear as any of the newer games.

Last edited:

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
Email: Zelda is, and has always been, linear « Malstrom’s Articles News

Mehaps I don't know the definition of non-linear but Zelda 1 requires you complete each of the dungeons just to beat the game. Plus several of the dungeons either require a previous dungeon item to complete or to enter. 5 before 7, 3 before 4, 6 or 7 before 8...I'm not sure how to explain it...I just feel like this fanbase views a lot of games thought rose-colored glasses...they're good but some of the comments made about them don't make sense...this might help explain (on my Wii U, look at top of the post.), also didn't mean to hijack this thread...lol

Non-linear means that you can complete things in a game outside of the intended order. You can complete dungeon 7 before even heading towards dungeon 1 in the original LoZ. You can't do them in any possible order, but there's a very wide range.

I do agree that some people have too much nostalgia for the classic games, though.

ZeldafreakCJM

Hey there, it's me.
Non-linear means that you can complete things in a game outside of the intended order. You can complete dungeon 7 before even heading towards dungeon 1 in the original LoZ. You can't do them in any possible order, but there's a very wide range.

I do agree that some people have too much nostalgia for the classic games, though.

I don't think it's limited to just the classics. Anyways going back to the topic of this thread, I feel like a 9 is a good number of dungeons for a Zelda game. The ninth would be the final dungeon. As far as themes go, I've always wondered what a steam dungeon would be like.

I'd say about 7-8 Dungeons even though the poll doesn't include that bracket. I think over 8 dungeons/temples for a Zelda game is a bit overboard if you ask me. The sizes of the Temples/Dungeons in Skyward Sword was satisfying enough, maybe you could make them a little bigger but I don't want them as big as the overworld as some people have stated, that to me doesn't sound like a dungeon it just sounds like a big obstacle course with rooms.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
I'd say about 7-8 Dungeons even though the poll doesn't include that bracket. I think over 8 dungeons/temples for a Zelda game is a bit overboard if you ask me. The sizes of the Temples/Dungeons in Skyward Sword was satisfying enough, maybe you could make them a little bigger but I don't want them as big as the overworld as some people have stated, that to me doesn't sound like a dungeon it just sounds like a big obstacle course with rooms.

Dungeons in Zelda are typically pretty large. About as large as portions of the overworld in their respective games, especially in the modern titles. I mean, dungeons like the Stone Tower Temple and Fire Sanctuary are freaking massive.

MW7

What types of dungeons do you want to see in Zelda U?
By this I mean do you want to see: traditional, new mix/variation, non-linear, or what element types, since dungeons since OoT have been elemental.
I'd like to see a large variety of dungeons, some of which revisit the most clever design elements of previous games that we haven't seen in a while. For instance I'd like to see a dungeon like Skull Woods from ALTTP which blended the dungeon with the outside environment, a dungeon like the Spirit Temple from OOT which is split into parts that don't have to be completed sequentially, and my personal favorite of dungeons with global puzzle mechanics like the Water Temple of OOT or the Sandship of SS. Also I want Nintendo to continue to include dungeons in atypical environments like Snowpeak Ruins or the Sandship. I'd like to see a mix of linear and nonlinear dungeons as well, and above all I just want the dungeons to be creative and not be predictable. Like start us off with a light themed dungeon followed by a carnival themed dungeon followed by a farm themed mini-dungeon followed by a water dungeon followed by a haunted house dungeon. Basically I just want Nintendo to keep throwing curveballs at us the whole game in terms of dungeon design and themes.

How big do you want the dungeons to be in Zelda U?
Pretty self-explanatory, do you want them larger, smaller, compact, etc...
I'd want to see a mix of small and large dungeons, and including mini-dungeons would be nice as well. I don't think I'd enjoy facing two hour long dungeons all in a row, but I wouldn't want to face half hour long dungeons in a row either. I think they should just switch things up as they go along.

And how many dungeons do you want to see in Zelda U?
(This can be answered in the poll.)
I went with 12+ because I generally love the dungeons in Zelda games, and I can't really argue that less would be better unless the game designers are clearly just trying to stretch the game out with less than stellar ideas. So if they keep having brilliant ideas I wouldn't set an upper limit, and I'd happily play through the game no matter how long it ends up.

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
I never understood why people still harp on non-linearity...that stopped when OoT came out.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
I never understood why people still harp on non-linearity...that stopped when OoT came out.

OoT was linear to a degree, but you can still do certain things out of order which is the main point of the non-linear argument. OoT's dungeons? Totally nonlinear; the only forced thing is Inside the Deku Tree and from there you can skip straight to the final battle. At the very least, you can enter some dungeons, grab the dungeon item then go to later dungeons and complete those first. That is an intricacy of nonlinearity as well. One that I want to return, even if it isn't true nonlinearity. ;)

DarkestLink

OoT was linear to a degree, but you can still do certain things out of order which is the main point of the non-linear argument. OoT's dungeons? Totally nonlinear; the only forced thing is Inside the Deku Tree and from there you can skip straight to the final battle. At the very least, you can enter some dungeons, grab the dungeon item then go to later dungeons and complete those first. That is an intricacy of nonlinearity as well. One that I want to return, even if it isn't true nonlinearity. ;)

Being able to do half a dungeon, leave, and start on another dungeon isn't what I'd call non-linear. It's what I call shortsighted developing. And honestly, I cannot fathom why a player would go so far out of their way to do this.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Being able to do half a dungeon, leave, and start on another dungeon isn't what I'd call non-linear. It's what I call shortsighted developing. And honestly, I cannot fathom why a player would go so far out of their way to do this.

Call it what you will, it's referring to the same thing. Like I said many months ago to ya, people do it for fun! Why else do you do all these different dungeons over and over again? Why else do you call for over 12 dungeons (or whatever dungeon count)? For fun, of course! ;)

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!

You can do some dungeons before others, such as the Fire Temple before the Forest Temple and the Spirit Temple before the Shadow Temple.

Ideally, I would love 8 - 10 dungeons in Zelda U. Anything more seems trivial, anything less seems like the game was missing out on something (one of my biggest gripes with Majora's Mask). And I think these dungeons should be HUGE like in Twilight Princess, and have the diversity like Skyward Sword. Linearity in a dungeon honestly means nothing to me, although I think it would be cool if we had the option to complete dungeons in different orders with different items (obviously). That would add a nice amount of replayability and it would be simple to include.

However, what I would REALLY love is the return of mini-dungeons for optional items or optional mini-games. There's no reason why Nintendo can't stick the location of a few heart-pieces, or whatever miscellaneous collectible they decide to put into Zelda U, in to a few mini-dungeons.

DarkestLink

Call it what you will, it's referring to the same thing. Like I said many months ago to ya, people do it for fun! Why else do you do all these different dungeons over and over again? Why else do you call for over 12 dungeons (or whatever dungeon count)? For fun, of course! ;)

I do the dungeons because they are fun. But what does this have to do with ordering?

You can do some dungeons before others, such as the Fire Temple before the Forest Temple and the Spirit Temple before the Shadow Temple.

Never tried to do the fire temple first, but I'm pretty sure you need the hover boots to do the spirit temple. The part where you get onto the statues hand at any rate. And you need the Eye of Truth. Technically not part of the Shadow Temple, but the well is leading up to it and doing the Spirit Temple first after going through the mini dungeon for the Shadow Temple and seeing the scene with Sheik--URGH...it feels so unordered and wrong DX

Sorry, that's just a thing with me...going out of order in a game is like reading chapter three in a book before reading chapter one and then skipping to chapter seven.

Zorth

#Scoundrel
Sorry, that's just a thing with me...going out of order in a game is like reading chapter three in a book before reading chapter one and then skipping to chapter seven.

If your book consists of descriptions of rooms.. ;)

At least in Zelda's case if we are talking about dungeons since there aren't (there are exceptions) any big plot revealers in dungeons, it's more of a "run into a dungeon, grab a piece of a shattered artifact, then do the same thing over and over again.".

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom